PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Manchester City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 January 2023

To be fair we had a 25-minute period (maybe a little more) when we wouldn't have been able to complain if we'd lost. But we were good in the first half and kept them to one shot on target throughout and we probably should have been ahead before half time.

To be honest, we are still a long way behind City both in quality and squad strength but a win is a win and it was nice to see VAR working properly (although it seems the ref overruled the linesman for Bruno's goal without VAR).

Some great performances particularly in defence and defensive midfield, and Garnacho made a huge difference. He must start against City with Weghorst too - he might worry the Arsenal CBs. Martial won't
Martial was the reason we held the ball well in the first half and were a consistent threat. Sounds like he went off early cos he wasn't fully fit. We can't expect Garnacho to be our hold-up player vs arsenal for 90 minutes.

This game showed exactly what Martial gives us.

Skip to my Lou

Absolutely buzzing! My voice is all gone, wife and kids mad at me for yelling like a mad man!

Sideways-City was toothless and lucky they weren't behind by 2 at HT.

Now let's all cheer Brighton!

Redfrog

Half way through the season, a point behind City, ten points above Liverpool, thirteen points above Chelsea.

Arsenal having a freak season but we're doing so well this season and a lot of thanks to the manager!
So pleased!
All that after 2 defeats in the first two !

Stig

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Guardiola lost it. ‘We don’t care about the prem or caraboa cup we’ve won a lot let another team win it. :lol:

manichester

Pep babbling in the interview at the end was quality, didn't understand a word he said. Credit to all the team worked hard and did not give up, city lots of possession but not much threat.

Stig

What was the logic in the team selection in not starting Martinez ? Has he lost his position to Shaw or was there something else ?

RedDevil@84

What was the logic in the team selection in not starting Martinez ? Has he lost his position to Shaw or was there something else ?
ETH came up with a 'ridiculous' idea to beat Pep's preparation

OmarUnited4ever

I really wanted us to beat city..

Now I don't care if Arsenal beat us, as long as we we beat...I am satisfied

United Hobbit

What I really liked, was how under Ole we'd have crumbled after City got their goal and would have conceded more

Here we dug in and got our reward. Absolutely fantastic, bar the first 20 minutes of the second half where we lost control.

Finally we have the right manager

Garnacho must be kept away from Real Madrid

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What a win. Would leave me buzzing for few days. The scenario is what makes it so fecking good. We were dead and suddenly out of nowhere led the game.
How are you feeling about the boss’ performances (& appointment) these days? I’m honestly just curious. Unless I have you confused but you had some reservations after the first, say, 10 games or so. And some points were valid. I only ask because I’ve loved this appointment from the off.

Revaulx

Yeah, he interfered. The media's gonna have a field day with it. Inject it! Who tf cares :lol:
Surely what mattered was that he stopped interfering at exactly the right moment?

For years now, Rashford has rightly been criticised for his poor decision making. Let’s give him some credit when he gets it spot on.

colombianmancunian

They had “possession” and just one shot on target. We got the goals.

Another match that proves that possession for the sake of it is worthless and what matters are goals.

SirAnderson

Actually looking at the rules I think I'm changing my mind....

2. Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
  • interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
That rule makes it clear for me that it should have not stood, but its done, glad a decision has gone for us, feels like these have been going against us for ages.

DevilRed

So this Garnacho kid. He's something special then?

Glad we didn't go out and panic buy a winger to block his path.

Also, glad to see AWB back performing well at the highest level. Always thought he could still be a mainstay in the team. Two for each position. Him and Dalot are both young and will keep improving. We should not sell either one.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That rule makes it clear for me that it should have not stood, but its done, glad a decision has gone for us, feels like these have been going against us for ages.
I don't understand why you say that. Which of those things did Rashford do?

DevilRed

Haven't you heard? Our new manager doesn't play favorites. If he can drop a club legend like Ronaldo and phase out our English captain, then its childs play for him to bench a Martinez who might not be 100% fit.

If you're in form and performing, then you play.

If not, you're on the bench until you prove otherwise. As it should be.

The Irish Connection

Beautiful!
would have liked us to have had a bit more control of the ball in the second half but we’ll take the win all day!
Keep it going United!

Hughie77

City had there purple patch for 20 mins or so and rightly so took the lead, some credit is needed to ETH in the changes he made Garnacho was something there defence weren't expecting. And a clever goal to get us back in to the game , Rashford played with a niggle, last season he would have come off, like Bruno said there is now a team coming . Great result and my dog nearly shit himself when Rashford scored by how loud I shouted . Antony does need to look at his game though needs to practice loads on his right foot that would give him more. Garnacho a kid who can use both feet defenders weary of him. Sancho needs to get his head right and a decent Summer window needed for more progression.

Shiva87

They had “possession” and just one shot on target. We got the goals.

Another match that proves that possession for the sake of it is worthless and what matters are goals.
Theirs wasn’t possession for the sake of it though. They drained our players down with their passing and started getting a lot more space in the second half.

Their main problem was that this United team (with Bruno and Rashford) get massively more potent in attack when spaces open up.

Our second goal was an excellent example of that. Very few teams score that goal. Our defence and midfield only wanted to get Bruno in a position where he is running onto the ball and can look up. I was really impressed by Fred’s pass to Bruno and Bruno’s to Garnacho.

Also, just saw on the replay that the first goal was a team move and not a counter attack! It started with Shaw winning the ball back in defence and passing it to De Gea. Great job on the transition (regardless of Rashford being obviously offside!)

Robertd0803

GET IN THERE

Huge win in all contexts.

Feared the worst when I saw the line up and thought having Shaw at CB meant we would lose out on the left hand side but we didnt.

Huge performances all over the pitch and while things went sideways from the start of the second half to our goal we should have been leading at halftime anyway.

Garnachos introduction made a massive difference, love the lad. Utterly fearless.

Rashfords not offside because the rule is stupid. Akaji isnt getting anywhere to Bruno.

Absolutley buzzing.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The pass went backwards?
It didn't.

When Rashford was momentarily offside he had no involvement, pulled back and at the same time Garnacho took a touch forward, dragging the defender with him and thus leaving Marcus onside before the pass.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Man City
  • 14% Man Utd 2:2 Man City