g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA L FA Cup Final

Manchester City 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 03 June 2023

Fahad Jawaid

I am just sick of DDG, when their reserve keeper can play the ball better than him, it’s clear we have no chance, plus having midgets like Eriksen and Sancho with zero intensity and physicality killed us. I will question Ten Hag aswell if he signs any stupid player from Dutch league or go for the likes of Mount.

We clearly need players comfortable on the ball in tight spaces not another Bruno like player who will give the ball away for fun and then we will keep chasing it all game.

December_16

Another day we could’ve won it. Ah well onwards and upwards.

Hope this gives the squad a bit of additional fire to challenge properly next season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Well we had some chances. Most notably the 6 6 guy couldn't head the ball in the net in the chaotic sequence.

- An average City was still better than us
- Fred was Fred, Bruno was below his best, and Sancho was his usual self. It's hard to overcome those 3 not playing well.
- I'm ready for the Fred era to be done

Al-T

Disappointed to lose like that. Went out with a whimper when should have been busting a hump to deny City the treble.

Typical having got back into it we couldn't defend properly early in the second half.

Overall a much improved season after the mess left by Reckit Ralph. Need a new keeper, midfielder and a proper striker. I guess the finances won't be sorted until the effin Glazers make their minds up.

Fingers crossed for Inter.

Torbalan

Eriksen was so poor today. After his substitution we started playing decently.

Get rid of him, buy 2 or 3 world class players and we'll be a good team.

MonkeysMagic

We only had a punchers chance cos quite frankly we are lacking in all 3 departments of the pitch. Did well to keep the score respectable but quite a few of our players wouldn't get into theirs so on most occasions their quality will overcome us.

Disappointed and not sure what needs to happen to bring the team closer to shitty for next season. One can live in hope....

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Could've been worse, I thought they were going to steamroll us after the first 15 minutes or so, but we got back into the game well.

Garnacho should've started, don't care if his record as a starter isn't great, or he only does it against tired legs or whatever, Sancho starting is pointless more often than not, he's got no fight and plays the game in slow motion. Garnacho will run, press and be direct. We needed that earlier.

2 jammy goals to concede, which is annoying. De Gea needs to be replaced, but I don't think any keeper gets near the first one, and it's hard to tell how late De Gea saw the 2nd one through all the bodies. But his distribution and constant aimless punts just kept setting us back, and it's been like that all season. Even when he's making good saves (like the close range effort from Haaland) he is still detrimental.

I was surprised at how un-press resistant they are. We just didn't press them enough, but the times we did, they fell apart, but we couldn't capitalise.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
400 mil on the bench. Can't fight vs that. Still, we put a good fight. Can't blame the boys

Lights Out

City always had multiple gears to go through if needed, but they didn't need it. Our timid players kept the game nice and easy. 2:1 looks better than it really was.
That’s fecking nonsense.

So you think that City chose to leave it to the width of a crossbar away from going to extra-time.

Laporte on for Grealish was a sign that Pep was concerned

quadrant

City weren't even that much better than us, but two soft goals conceded and an impotent attack did the trick.

ETH has taken this squad as far as he can. When you're chasing a game and your attacking options are Elanga, Weghurst, McTominay and a couple of talented but wet behind the ears youngsters, you're bound to struggle. It's up to the Board now to equip him properly for next season. A decent striker, midfielder and goalkeeper would have made a huge difference in that game.

It's still been a season of progress, we should take a little comfort in that at least.

always_hoping

62nd game of the season ends with expected FA Cup final defeat, City certainly deserved their win though could easily have been 2-2 with the big chance on 92 mins. City's goals on 12 seconds and from their first shot of the 2nd half was Fred and Eriksen switching off and DeGea too slow to react on the 2nd goal.

Without 4 players (Sabitzer,Antony,martinez,Martial) due to injury that would have featured today didn't help matters and when you are bringing on Mctominay,Weghorst to rescue the match it highlighted how short United are on options and need a big transfer window this summer.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
City have become the superpower in world football. We have to console ourselves with firing “you cheats I dont feel anything” blasts on twitter and messageboards.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not to sound like Gary Neville but pace and power should be necessities for us to even consider recruiting players.
It is obvious. We have 3 fast players in the entire team (Rashford, Garnacho and Shaw), and only Casemiro is what I would consider strong. City were much fitter and stronger than us.

Superunknown

Could have got trashed after conceding so early, so...I guess that's something.

Meh. I didn't feel that we were anywhere near brave enough today, certainly when it came to attacking, taking shots, and getting our bodies in the way to block their efforts. Both of their goals were preventable. Garnacho seemed like the only player we had who was fearless enough to have a crack at goal. I do think many of fans will be trying to out a brave face on and convince themselves that we were better than we actually were, and I'm not going to fault them for that. So much work to do.

Well done to the players for sticking at it and not getting rolled over.

Lee565

Better team won . DDG should have saved the second. Just shows only Qatar will bring us up to city’s level. Looked fitter, sharper and stronger all game. I can only hope city get busted by the FFP stuff, because they look untouchable
Only because the parasites have plundered us in massive debt, without their destructive ways we wouldn't need qatar money

BorisManUtd

Not a terrible outcome as we conceded just 13 seconds after game started, I was afraid we could get embarassed. Don't think City had many big chances (de Bruyne's shot the one I remember) and we had a few - Garnacho's shot and Ortega save/Rodri clearance. It's a decent performance against the best team in Europe.

It's just a case of losing to a team that has better players, they're better in possession, dominant. A year ago we were miles away from City, improved since but they're still clearly above us few levels and that's not a shame, they're better than anyone.

Also City weren't that great today but even then it's difficult to beat them. Should take positives from this performance into next season. What we do in transfer window will be key though.

Gorse Hill Red

Abu Dhabi’s second goal took two bounces before going in, sorry but De Gea should have saved that.
Annoyed that the chances we had we did not hit the target.
Depressing losing to these cheats.

OneUnited24

Always thought DDG was in a position that we could do with him for another season but looking back on this season I think it’s time. What’s the point of hoofing the ball to get past their press only for it to come straight back. So pointless

Dannn411

Have to rely on Inter now to preserve our treble.
Preserve our treble? It's not going anywhere is it? Them winning a treble is hardly the end of the world to be honest. Tired of the hyperbole around it. They've won a domestic treble and two doubles before. Its all about focusing on our team and what we need to do to start winning titles again.

Fts 74

Not a lot in it tbf, proud of the players we're not that far behind onwards and upwards.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Doesn’t feel too bad. We aren’t good enough and avoided a humiliation. That’s where we’re at as long as this lot are allowed to get away with breaking the rules.

TheLord

I would have been happy with 0-2 given the sheer difference in the quality of the two squads; 1-2 is handsome.

That said, the difference between the two teams is huge and will we will need at least three years of rebuilding and wise spending to match them.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Bad all over. Still miles off what City and Liverpool can produce at their absolute best.

I'm more annoyed with the fact they were really taking the piss throughout the game. Felt like they were telling us: "We'll do the bare minimum to win, let's see how well you can cope with us".

I'd like to believe that most people saw today that almost every attempt to play the ball out from the back, to keep the ball and gain some momentum, died a quick death at De Gea's feet.

I believe it's also pretty evident that we still need lots of quality and good ideas on the ball in the midfield.

Rashford and Garnacho did OK, but relying on kicking balls in-behind for the forwards to chase and/or giving the ball to pacey players so that they can make something out of nothing will only take you that far.

mshnsh

Only 4 of our regular 11 (Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro and Varane) should really be starters if we are to knock oil cheating scums off their fecking perch.

The rest should either be squad players (Rashford and Bruno) or sold (all others in the first 11).

We have to be ambitious and ruthless. With the quality of players we have, there is only so far we can go. Our recruitment has really been dire for a long time.

Wing Attack Plan R

Keep in mind we were without Martinez, Antony, Martial, and Sabitzer. Not saying any one of those would have turned the game on its head, but not having a real striker, not having our right side attack dog, not having our superhuman defender, and not having a midfield replacement option to rest Fred, it hurt us. That against a full strength City.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
With so many players below par- DDG, Sancho, Eriksen, to name a few it’s a wonder it wasn’t worse. Also playing without a proper striker for most of the season then it’s not been that bad. Before season started I just wanted a top four finish

Ole'sgunnarwin

Garnacho has been poor starting games. Right now he's a very good sub. ETH is on record as saying the next step in his progress is to get him to give these performances for 90 mins.

Throwing him in for the cup final as a starter would have been mental. That's something for next season.
Why is Sancho starting then? Do you think he's good enough? Who's a better player Sancho or Garnacho?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I thought it was a very even game until the Garnacho sub when we were then the better side. We were set up fantastically well OOP and ultimately one ridiculous goal and another stupendously poor goal cost us. We’re a fair bit off but Erik is definitely the guy…unless he actually think De Gea is good enough…then he isn’t :lol:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We lost to a better team. Better everywhere. I think Erik has built a solid foundation and if he is backed I still think he will close the gap.

If city go on to win the treble, they deserve it. Scary team. From their excellent financial doping to their unlikable cnut of a manager.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 233 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Man City 3:1 Man Utd