PL L FA Premier League

Manchester City 3:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 03 March 2024

Siorac

We are beyond embarrassment at this stage, do City and Liverpool even see us as real rivals any more , they hammer us most of the time play them. We are seen by them as maybe a banana skin at best. And some of our fans even celebrate if we finish within two or three goals and treat it as a good day.
This is the most painful thing. When we were one of the best teams in the world, Liverpool or City still always gave us a game. I can't remember any game against either that we dominated to this extent, and it's not like they had brilliant squads at the time. They were full of dross but never allowed themselves to be utterly humiliated by a rival.

Moriarty

It was attack and defence for most of the match. We scored a superb goal then held them at bay, ceding possession but frustrating their attacks. In all fairness, we did well to hold them off for as long as we did. When Haaland missed that sitter, I thought maybe fortune would smile on us but Foden stepped up and that was that. I think they will win the league again but it's sad that this game might provide the impetus for that.

Stig

Our lack of quality compared to City is downright embarrassing. We are years away from competing.
We tried hard, had a plan, had some look - but with an FFP score of City 115 - 0 United -- we can't have 20+ superstars in our squad, so we were beaten by a team of better players - as one would generally expect.

Owagah

Away from that time in the 2nd half (can’t tell the minute) when we held possession for almost 2 minutes. I don’t think we showed up for this match….

tomaldinho1

At least it wasn’t a complete humiliation, sorry state of affairs that that was most people’s expectation. So many areas need working on in the team, ineos have their work cut out.

Red Royal

Match would have been tough enough with a fit set of Licha, Shaw and Rasmus...without them we didn't stand a chance.

Massive gulf is obvious to all

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This is the most painful thing. When we were one of the best teams in the world, Liverpool or City still always gave us a game. I can't remember any game against either that we dominated to this extent, and it's not like they had brilliant squads at the time. They were full of dross but never allowed themselves to be utterly humiliated by a rival.
This 100%

Liverpool and City were arguably worse than we are now, during Sir Alex's time when we were the best, but I don't remember them ever not fighting to win.

We had zero chance of anything today and were parking a bus to avoid humiliation. And, guess what, I was totally on board with that tactics as the alternative would have been a guaranteed 6-0 or 7-0 thrashing, and nobody wants THAT.

We should not be this horrible. It's not about injuries, or manager. It's all about our players being a horrible collective

Von Mistelroum

So yeah, it was Paul Merson of all people who said that if we challenge for the title within 5 years the manager should be knocked right?

For once I can agree with him. We need probably the biggest rebuild in the history of the club. I can see three players in our entire squad where I would say they are definite keepers (Mainoo, Hojlund, Martinez if he can stay fit), maybe a few maybes (Garnacho, Shaw, Dalot, even Onana could come good maybe) and that's it.

The rest of the squad are just not up to the required standard. Whether they are just past it, or never been good enough is irrelevant. We need 7-8 new players and that won't happen over a couple of seasons or even a few seasons, and by the time we get those players, the likes of Shaw will need replacing too. It'll be a very long process which we can't even start under the current manager.

Waynne

Was there any doubt? We capitulate at the slightest amount of pressure and to beat City you need to keep them on the backfoot for the full 90 minutes. Our season is a write off anyways.

I'd rather City get the 3 points to take the title away from Liverpool. I hate the thought of the filthy scousers taking it again.

G-manc

Utterly depressing watch.

There wasn’t a lack of effort today, just a massive gulf in quality.

It was how I imagine a league 1 or 2 team fan must feel in a cup tie.

RedinIndia

We were shit in the second half.

Rashford's goal was a fluke. He did next to nothing after that incredible strike. All reasons why we should be getting rid of him.

First half , I felt we defended okay and made them play to our strengths. The City defense can be got at and with a bit more game awareness , we could have doubled the score at half time.

Only a matter of time before the flood gates opened and we bent over after foden scored his goal.

Amrabat - can't fecking believe we had an offer to dispose of him in January and we didn't take it. Even youth players will perform better than him. Could easily have gotten back some of the wasted 10m.

Onana - was great. Could have done better with the second goal but that was a smart finish. The only bright spot in this United team performance.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
We were shit in the second half.

Rashford's goal was a fluke. He did next to nothing after that incredible strike. All reasons why we should be getting rid of him.

First half , I felt we defended okay and made them play to our strengths. The City defense can be got at and with a bit more game awareness , we could have doubled the score at half time.

Only a matter of time before the flood gates opened and we bent over after foden scored his goal.

Amrabat - can't fecking believe we had an offer to dispose of him in January and we didn't take it. Even youth players will perform better than him. Could easily have gotten back some of the wasted 10m.

Onana - was great. Could have done better with the second goal but that was a smart finish. The only bright spot in this United team performance.
That’s BROADLY how I see it (if you mean “fluke” as in unlikely as opposed to he didn’t mean it).

We did what we could. Onana played decent though frustratingly made some key errors too. Thought Varane decent and defence did well with Haaland.

Rashford, Bruno, McT poor.

Forson (again) looked lost.

Was expecting 3-0 or worse so will accept result (begrudgingly) and focus on first half and a Summer when several players will hopefully be sold. Including some “big names”

Hughie77

A expected result.. and it's not only UTD that are expected to lose to the crooks, every team in Europe are ...
To play a top team with a 11 starting with J Evans CB , no proper left back , no Striker and a Bench that's not got any quality? ..

They had there strongest side possible out.. this is how far behind other sides are

JackRowley

A expected result.. and it's not only UTD that are expected to lose to the crooks, every team in Europe are ...
To play a top team with a 11 starting with J Evans CB , no proper left back , no Striker and a Bench that's not got any quality? ..

They had there strongest side possible out.. this is how far behind other sides are
Exactly right, it’s the losses against, Palace, Forest, Fulham, Brighton, etc that we should be ashamed of.

redmanx

Thoroughbreds vs donkeys. Im sick to death of trying to find excuses for our players because the truth is there IS no excuse. OK we're still in 6th place, whoopee, and we have 10 matches left, a possible 30 points, but how many points will we take from Brentford, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal and Brighton? In all probability none. We should, SHOULD take maximum points from Everton, Bournemouth, Burnley and Palace, 12 points. Lets be kind and say we snatch a couple draws in the other matches, 14 points, a total of 58 points for the season and considering we already trail 4th place team Villa by 11 points theres more chance of fairies at the bottom of my garden than of us finishing 4th. The only light at the end of a very long and dark tunnel is the FA Cup, but I cant see us beating Liverpool next round, can you?

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
The romantic fan in me wants to go on a rant about all modern players being mercenaries and rarely having long term ties to a club. But being a professional footballer you should have pride in your performance every week and the club you play for, regardless of who they are or how long you've played for them. I can't help but wonder why so many players haven't cared for so long, it can't be a coincidence, it can't be that every manager has been as bad as the last.

Morpheus 7

United defending well for a good hour of the game, with rasmus breaking could have been more dangerous on counter. Can have no complaints though, City dominated and think when they got the first against that 11, was only going to end one way.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
ManCity were better team. No question about that. But two important decision didn't go our way. I mean potentially freekick and penalty which instead resulted in two goals against us.
Maybe so.
But we consistently fail to impose ourselves on far too many games.
And we consistently fail to control far too many games, being reactive.
But our inconsistentcy is just too consistent. Far too often we fail to turn up.

ObscureBaguette

When we were the best team in the league, City and Liverpool were usually nowhere to be seen. However, they almost always gave us a game. Going to Anfield or Maine Road was a test in a hostile atmosphere. We had good characters who stood up to it, but we still got beat quite often. Even at Old Trafford, neither City nor Liverpool would usually just wither away, and rarely did they cower the way we did today. There's a lot of mitigating circumstances surrounded our poor season, mainly all the injuries. Our bench told you everything about the state of our squad right now. Nevertheless, with all the money we've pissed away over the last decade, you'd like a squad with something to show for it. We're still a million miles away from where we want to be and I hate watching us play the way did today. Once we were 2-1 down, we had no idea how to get back into it and nobody on the bench who could change it, despite what we spent on Antony.

Chelsea, who are largely worse than us, got a draw at the Etihad a couple of weeks ago.

Ollie Derbyshire

We tried hard, had a plan, had some look - but with an FFP score of City 115 - 0 United -- we can't have 20+ superstars in our squad, so we were beaten by a team of better players - as one would generally expect.
It’s not getting beaten that’s the issue, it’s the manner of it for me. After the first 20mins we just couldn’t get any control of the game and provided very little going forwards. We need to start having a go at the likes of City, Liverpool and Arsenal instead of getting pegged back all game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Our bench Vs theirs was a no contest. Still, you'd hope at least it's a good learning experience for our youngsters. And I think Amrabat won't be extending his stay next year.

Swearing Budgie

Just reading this thread pisses me off, because it feels like so many are just accepting of the result. Watching that 90 minutes fecking infuriated me. We just got embarrassed by a rival for what feels like the umpteenth time in recent years
Me too. Expectations are unacceptably low for a club of our size, especially with the amount spaffed on bad transfers.

Everyone knew we would lose. Everyone knew we would be outplayed from start to finish and our only chances would come on the break.

I remember when United would go toe to toe with anyone, home or away. Well, everyone except Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Piss poor, cowardly football. Sickening. Moments FC.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We can keep banging on about the charges against City, but the money we have spent we should have a lot better squad, nevermind team. Also Pep and his coaches are a lot, lot better than ours. The quality in this squad is awful so even a couple of injuries impact on it.

LDUred

We looked so slow moving the ball when we finally had it, often due to a lack of movement. There were a few times where we had the ball near the final third but ended up going back to Onana due to dilly-dallying in midfield.

Makes you wonder what they actually do in training.

Todd

We're going to end the season having lost more matches in the league than ever before in the EPL era, and yet again be absent from the Champions League.

Almost two full seasons into the rebuild, and we're arguably further away from competing than we were before the rebuild.

Where do we even go from here?

tomaldinho1

More annoyed about Fulham playing us off the park to be honest. We’re miles off challenging, I’m fine with losing to better teams.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 13% Man City 3:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Man City 4:0 Man Utd