FA W FA Cup Final

Manchester City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 May 2024

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We had more injuries than all of them. In fact, Liverpool had 10 less injuries.

6th to 8th to me is more or less the same especially when you consider the difference is little to no points.

Most importantly, they all won sweet FA in trophies. I don't understand why anyone would discount that especially as we hadn't won a trophy for 5 years before he arrived. Ten hag has more trophies now than arteta and any other manager in the prem other than pep since he came here. Not only that, but we beat pep's city (first manager to beat him in an English domestic cup) and klopp's Liverpool en route to this win. Does all this not count for anything?
You can't just go on numbers in total, as Mount probably racked up 5 or 6 on his own!

The FA cup win is brilliant, as was the league cup last season. Winning is what it's all about.

The difference is, last year's cup came hand in hand with a promising, not always great, such as 7-0 v Liverpool etc, but 3rd was full of promise.
Coming 8th, if asked before the season would be a 100% sack job whatever the circumstances.

We'll see what the club do though. You can tell it's a done deal though, from Ten Hag's tone and comments.

Natener

I thought I'd heared £30 million, but I could be wrong.
Not wrong. But that’s the amount it will come up to if we win every game in the Europa all the way to the final. Qualification itself is only about 4m. A win in a single CL group game is already worth about 2m in prize money.

Infra-red

Doesn't get much better. If you can't enjoy this, football isn't the sport for you. Cracking goal from Mainoo just the icing in the cake.

Stig

Lineker and Shearer seemed a bit dismissive and disrespectful.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If ETH stays on, hope BBC representatives are banned from Old trafford next season.

Nas-JR

You can't just go on numbers in total, as Mount probably racked up 5 or 6 on his own!

The FA cup win is brilliant, as was the league cup last season. Winning is what it's all about.

The difference is, last year's cup came hand in hand with a promising, not always great, such as 7-0 v Liverpool etc, but 3rd was full of promise.
Coming 8th, if asked before the season would be a 100% sack job whatever the circumstances.

We'll see what the club do though. You can tell it's a done deal though, from Ten Hag's tone and comments.
I think coming 8th this season is a result of many harsh truths coming crashing down on us all at once.

That is, our squad building over last 5-10 years has been beyond horrendous and that's caught up with us this year as a lot of players from previous regimes have had to step up and they were not up for it (awb, lindelof, rashford, martial).

The off field issues (starting from the take over to all the player fiascos) caused so much turbulence that it clearly trickled down into our football.

The cashflow into the prem has meant there are many more ultra rich clubs that can and have spent a lot of money, making margins for error a lot smaller and this significantly increased the competitiveness of the league. Anyone who discounts this doesn't understand basic maths.

You also cannot dismiss our injuries. They have played a massive part in how we play and where we've ended up in the league. This point has been made many a time so I won't go into it anymore.

The last point is thay ten hag has been incredibly stubborn with his formation. For what it's worth, I think with a full squad he might have been able to execute his vision. But he's gambled by not changing tactics with the hope that he'll get players back but that never happened. As I've said, that could be the end of him but it's silly to assume it's all on him!

I get your point that 8th looks like a massively backwards step l but I think there's so many factors that dictate how a season can pan out for a club and there's a lot of variance baked into each one of these factors. We have just been incrediblly unlucky with this variance all year. In my opinion, progress isn't a linear path and I'd hope this marks the inflection point.

As you rightly noted, this could easily all be moot given his comments and the suspicious manner of de zebris resignation. I really really hope ineos know what they're doing!

Loon

:lol:
Pep doing the old “I don’t understand the question and lean in” when he doesn’t like what is being asked of him. Then he would not admit we were the better side.

I suppose I should be grateful he didn’t do that disgusting spitting thing he does most of the time.

Do some lines and feck off.

BorisManUtd

This could've been worst season in 35 years but 2 wins in last 2 league games and now Fa cup against city rivals and best side around and it's easily better season than 21/22 and 13/14. Still bad because cup win can't hide dreadful league and champions league campaign obviously. However, should make winning trophies a habit. We're years from competing for league and CL but next year there's Europa and again 2 domestic cups. Wouldn't hurt us going for those trophies especially as Europa guarantees place in CL.

Also watched highlights and basically between 55th and 65th minute City had 3 big chances: Haaland hitting the bar, Walker's long range shot saved by Onana and Alvarez missing that big chance. Those 10 minutes are where we struggled and if they scored, it would've probably gone to extra time afterwards. Thankfully did not go that way.

always_hoping

Today showed the old FA Cup still has some charm. Workmanlike performance and deserved win against a City team that was unbeaten in 35 games before today.

Two trophies in two seasons Ten Hag has won for United and before he arrived United hadn't won a trophy since 2017. In his own words "When I took over, it was a mess at United. The team is developing and winning trophies now" This cup win was better than the league cup success last season as both Liverpool and Man City were beaten against the odds.

Lots of pundits and journalists have chosen to ignore the long injury list United have had this season which included patched up back fours with midfielders filling in, that was the prime reason for such a poor league season and should be taken into account by Jim Ratcliffe and co when they do their end of season review and after it if their decision is to part ways with Ten Hag and replace him with some of the names mentioned in the media it will add another chapter to the decade of incompetence.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Was great to see Jonny Evans beaming and wearing his medal. Everyone involved deserves great credit. First half was just brilliant. So proud of them all. Good strategy and team selection by the manager. I would love to see him stay on.

Varane around town

It's been a shocking season. Absolutely shocking.

However, it doesn't get much better than days like today.

That's football.

Betson

If ETH stays on, hope BBC representatives are banned from Old trafford next season.
He is gone , there is no way they would leave him hanging today answering non stop questions in interview after interview about his imminent sacking if they were not going to sack him.

Pity it was leaked when it was , today should be a day of celebration only for him but he ha to put up that nonsense the whole day.

ryansgirl

What we should take from this victory over City is that if history is repeated and a winning FA Cup coach is sacked after it, then it`s back to the same old cycle of failure and dysfunction.

The lads in red on the pitch showed class and hunger and matched the skills of City`s massively funded and highly successful players.

Give our manager a shorter contract, say goodbye to some of our players including Marcus and see how much better United is with the breed of player that won today.

Juicy Juiced

Just randomly woke up in the middle of the night. Still buzzing. Inam going to wartch goals and go back to sleep. Maybe I'll watch some Pep crying too for even better sleep.

The Irish Connection

Sorry if this has been said before, but Garnacho did well to stay on his feet after the bump before their keeper fecked it. Some players would have gone down there.

The Irish Connection

Varane with a performance that just makes me sad that he’s going ( correctly unfortunately) Licha showing why we’ve missed him so much, Amrabat was absolutely everywhere, harrying and hustling …couldn’t watch the last 5 minutes due to being so nervous so went to my shed to talk to my ‘special’ plants, wishing they’d have flowered a few weeks earlier to mellow me out .. a shit season but dang it feels good right now
Haha, special plants, good man

Bertie Wooster

Him and shearer were constantly trying to bring the chat back to the league and him being sacked.

Wins the FA cup and all those w*nkers did was taunt him and Dalot about the league.
Yep, that's what so many pundits / media try to do whenever we win trophies - even under Fergie. They've always got to try to find some way to undermine / downplay it.

Every trophy we've won post-Fergie, the narrative has always been 'but it's only the ... trophy - United shouldn't over celebrate winning that and not the PL / CL'.

FootballAI

1. Onana: Did some reasonable saves before that goal. The ball was not fast at all but it was bouncing, he took his time to reach it with both hands to make sure the bounce can be handled. Most if not all EPL keepers would've have made the save. Either lack of judgement or missing some important shot stopping techniques, but it happened in key moment of several matches way too often. Rating 5+

2. Martinez:
Missing him for most season was the key reason why we are struggling either defensively or pressure relief for counter-attack. I would imagine we would've have had at least 10 more points in the league had he been around. Rating 8

3. Varane:
Excellent final match for United. However, I do think he needs Martinez to play well rather than the other way around. But otherwise nothing but total respect for the former World champion. Rating 8

4. Dallot:
Shut down any City attacking chance down his flank superbly, and contributed in the attack too. Fully deserved POTS. Rating 8+

5. AWB:
This type of match suits him when he doesn't have attacking duty to worry about. Would not mind to keep him as sub for this kind of match, but definitely need to buy a well-rounded LB next season and return Dallot to his position. Rating 7+

6. Amrabat:
Luckily Casemiro did not play. Amrabat is the key reason why City did not crack our midfield unlike most of the matches this season. Wish we could turn back time to bench Casemiro and started him more. Deserve a 2nd look to execute that buy option after this match. Rating 9

7. Mainoo:
Not just the goal, but all of his passes, dribble, tackles and one-two were top class. Always shine in key matches. Growing understanding with Bruno has been continuously developing, can't wait for next season once we get rid of Casemiro as the DM starter and in addition a much better winger than Rashford. Rating 9+

8. McT:
A good fighter but not a good ball player. This type of match where we need to fight for the ball against the stronger opponent is his best suit, but can't imagine he can ever be our starter in the future. Still a very good sub player, I hope he stays but would not mind if he's gone this summer. Rating 7

9. Rashford:
One good nice crossfield pass to Ganarcho for the 2nd goal, but other than that I think he was very wasteful with the ball. Most of the long counter-attacking passes were headed toward him and he did not make good use of a single one of them. Was our weakest link on the pitch. So much hope at young age and failed to achieve the potential. Expect him to leave this summer. Rating 6

10. Ganarcho:
very similar playstyle with Giggs at young age. Sometime wasteful, but the way he plays more often than not we get some chance out of nowhere in difficult matches, happened in Chelsea game and happens again. I do think we still need to buy additional winger to rotate with him, need to sell Antony asap. Rating 8

11. Bruno:
Nobody can keep a straight face saying we would be a better team without him anymore. Without him, we create less chance to score goal, sometime way way less chance to score. He is a better and more likeable version of Deco. Captain spirit, world class player. Rating 8+

SUB
12. Hojlund: Seemed to play better being sub, fight the defenders well and created more than Rashford with less minutes. Need a good striker to rotate with next season. Rating 7+
13. Lindelof:
Did his duty. Rating 7

oz insomniac

Great win, but shouldn’t mask the real result of the season and some terrible tactics and signings. ETH went to the Eredevise well too often, and wasn’t helped by the incompetent mess in the recruitment team.

Think the sensible thing is to bring In a new coach, he can then review the team, with the help of the new structure, move on as many players as possible and start a rebuild. The basics are there, but some tweaks and academy players are needed to bring drive and menace to the team, especially midfield and centre back.

Couldn’t watch the game live as don’t pay for the streaming service it’s on here, but listened on BBC World Service, they were on one horse in the race and it wasn’t wearing red,

saik

listened on BBC World Service, they were on one horse in the race and it wasn’t wearing red,
You need to watch the match then as they are completely wrong. City had lot of the ball in the first half but did absolutely feck all with it and we were very good value for our 2-0 lead. Again no matter what those idiots would have said, possession is useless when its your defenders and defensive mids each having 30 touches doing pointless passing between them. City got better in the 2nd half after they brought on Doku but still needed an Onana mistake to score. We absolutely deserved to win that game.

They probably were wetting their pants wanting City to win seeing as how Lineker and Shearer treated ETH after the game.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Kobbie Mainoo image Kobbie Mainoo 55% of 341 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
7.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 321 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win