EL W Europa League Round of 32 2nd Leg

Manchester United 5:1 Midtjylland

Post-match discussion

Thu, 25 February 2016

Fully Fledged

This is the future on United!

This one pips the 7-1 Roma game for me!
I think that it was the way that we have been playing this season that made this so special. I've been crying out for a performance like that for 2.5 seasons so when it finally comes it's like a monsoon in a desert.

Henk de Rode

Memphis was incredible tonight. His greed very enjoyable to watch. Losing 2-1 away, playing young players at home, get 0-1 behind and still win 5-1. Pretty epic.
Could have been 8-0 as well, you still see the same mistakes happen, just against a lesser team.

BarstoolProphet

I don't care if it was against the worst team in Europe, I'm just happy to see the young players enjoy themselves and actually being able to entertain the crowd. Most of us have forgotten how it looks when a United players performs a YouTube worthy dribble.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
While I can enjoy the victory, too many ppl don't recollect the PAST 1.5 SEASONS.

Give me a string of results and performances against Premiership sides and I'll start believing again.
Just enjoy this result for what it is. It's been so negative for the right reasons all season long, one night of happiness cannot hurt.

moxdevil

An enjoyable performance. Hopefully Memphis can translate that confidence against better opposition now. The youngsters did good. Solid performances from Varela and Riley. What I liked most about Rashford was the fact that he wasn't hiding next to defenders but actually watching what was happening and picking up space in the box to react on his goals.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
The injuries to the rest of the attack could be the making of Memphis. Looked to link up well with Riley. Obviously don't like our chances against Arsenal but he can create havoc if he stays this horny

Rashford ate up his service, very impressive how hard he worked. Those goals lit a fire under everyone

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They played with a lot more confidence tonight and the ball was moving around a lot quicker. Also they wanted more and more goals.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I might have to delete 'Depoop' from my predictive texting.

Sad Chris

While I can enjoy the victory, too many ppl don't recollect the PAST 1.5 SEASONS.
Plenty of other threads full of many ppl reliving the PAST 1.5 SEASONS on a daily basis. This is the post-match discussion thread where it's great to be able to enjoy an exciting performance!

pacifictheme

Some wonderful individual performances tonight. As a team we played well, great tempo to the game and we kept on going. Enjoyed that immensely.

Standard of opposition showed though, hopefully we don't come down with a bump on Sunday.
Tonight shouldn't be taken as any kind of indication as to how sunday will go. We were ace tonight but arsenal are a million miles away from tonights opponents.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Attacking display from first to last minute without sideway and back passes, no dicking around 16y box but always looking to put ball in and playing in pretty high tempo and pace, don't remember when was the last time I saw that from United.

Sylar

Horny horny man united, as the reds go marching on on on !!!

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Cant complain much because of the score-line, but im less enthusiastic than the majority on here seem to be.

People seem to be basing the whole game off of how it turned out once Midtjelland's heads had gone and they'd all but given up.

1-0 down to some Sunday league defending from Carrick and Blind, Carrick playing a fair number of wildly miss-placed passes.

Rashford looked decent and took his chances well but also looked a bit lightweight at times, shrugged off by the centre backs a few times.

As for the rest, its not much different to what should be expected from them against Midtjelland, Schneiderlin being able to be a defensive midfielder for a change!!!!! wow give him a 10/10. Memphis yes looked dazzling with the tricks and breezing past people or doing keepie-uppies over opposition heads, but lets face it, its no different to what he's been attempting all season, difference being decent fullbacks will usually take the ball from him and laugh about how silly he looks afterwards.

Will Memphis be able to replicate that at weekend up against Bellerin with Coquelin and Koscielny/Mert for help....doubtful. id love it if that was the turn around for him, but its incredibly unlikely.

And as much as id love to see Rashford do well, he's going to be up against Koscielny and Mertesacker in his first fully challenging game......

And all thats before you start worrying about Ozil and Sanchez terrorising a ludicrous potential centre back pairing of Carrick and Blind. Can you imagine the carnage if Carrick plays at all, let alone at centre back.

Fully Fledged

`

Give me a string of results and performances against Premiership sides and I'll start believing again.
It's not about believing in a greater United revival it's about being happy with what happened on the night.

Yes the season has been sh!te but we had a good night. In seasons like this when they are few and far between it's important to celebrate the great performance.

More so than in a season where they are happening every other week.

vk20legend

I can't recall us scoring 5 in a game since SAF retired.. Maybe I am wrong but it has definitely not happened under LvG..

Yes it was against a team playing only their second competitive game in two months.. So what?! I'll take a win any day under any circumstances..

The kids were absolutely great today.. Riley, Rashford, Varela were all wonderful.. Memphis was something else today and I am glad he got a goal end of the night.. His performance deserved a goal..

Would have been nice had the penalty been at 4-1 that would have allowed Rashford to go for his hatrick.. Or maybe our manager is not the sentimental type and would still have been next man up i.e: Herrera..

We created more, we were moving the ball well and it was a good performance..

Again, the kids were absolutely great.. We can complain about LvG about many things, but not about giving youngsters chance..

I would still want Mourinho end of season, but I just hope he changes his approach about giving kids chance.. That's the only thing that worries me about him being our manager.. But this point is for another thread..

Tonight it is about the kids and the kids are alright!!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can't recall us scoring 5 in a game since SAF retired.. Maybe I am wrong but it has definitely not happened under LvG..

Yes it was against a team playing only their second competitive game in two months.. So what?! I'll take a win any day under any circumstances..

The kids were absolutely great today.. Riley, Rashford, Varela were all wonderful.. Memphis was something else today and I am glad he got a goal end of the night.. His performance deserved a goal..

Would have been nice had the penalty been at 4-1 that would have allowed Rashford to go for his hatrick.. Or maybe our manager is not the sentimental type and would still have been next man up i.e: Herrera..

We created more, we were moving the ball well and it was a good performance..

Again, the kids were absolutely great.. We can complain about LvG about many things, but not about giving youngsters chance..

I would still want Mourinho end of season, but I just hope he changes his approach about giving kids chance.. That's the only thing that worries me about him being our manager.. But this point is for another thread..

Tonight it is about the kids and the kids are alright!!
You have to get someone scoring penalties, yes it would have been nice for Rashford, but a couple of games time he might not be playing. Ander is now the penalty taker until he misses one. The way he takes them I'm not sure he would miss.

Man of the Match

Memphis Depay image Memphis Depay 85% of 883 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Midtjylland win
  • Draw