g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

EL W Europa League Round of 32 2nd Leg

Manchester United 5:1 Midtjylland

Post-match discussion

Thu, 25 February 2016

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happiest I've been all season with this display. Couldn't care less if it was Midgetland - the intent, drive, passion, never giving up spirit was great to see from the lads.

Shout out to Riley, Varela and of course Rashford. Boys playing without fear in such a pressure game as this was just great. Arsenal is a different proposition but feck it, Sunday is another day.

Theonas

Scout
Cant complain much because of the score-line, but im less enthusiastic than the majority on here seem to be.

People seem to be basing the whole game off of how it turned out once Midtjelland's heads had gone and they'd all but given up.

1-0 down to some Sunday league defending from Carrick and Blind, Carrick playing a fair number of wildly miss-placed passes.

Rashford looked decent and took his chances well but also looked a bit lightweight at times, shrugged off by the centre backs a few times.

As for the rest, its not much different to what should be expected from them against Midtjelland, Schneiderlin being able to be a defensive midfielder for a change!!!!! wow give him a 10/10. Memphis yes looked dazzling with the tricks and breezing past people or doing keepie-uppies over opposition heads, but lets face it, its no different to what he's been attempting all season, difference being decent fullbacks will usually take the ball from him and laugh about how silly he looks afterwards.

Will Memphis be able to replicate that at weekend up against Bellerin with Coquelin and Koscielny/Mert for help....doubtful. id love it if that was the turn around for him, but its incredibly unlikely.

And as much as id love to see Rashford do well, he's going to be up against Koscielny and Mertesacker in his first fully challenging game......

And all thats before you start worrying about Ozil and Sanchez terrorising a ludicrous potential centre back pairing of Carrick and Blind. Can you imagine the carnage if Carrick plays at all, let alone at centre back.
Well d'uh! Bloody Barcelona would struggle with whoever plays for their academy as centre forward and a defence made up of their 4th choice full backs. What is your point? Of course it would be carnage and anything else is just not normal. There is a reason football clubs pay top money for their first teamers and that is that their academy players are not ready to compete, let alone against the second side of the league and one of the top 10 sides in Europe. If your standard of success is that we should be able to field Varela, Riley, Rashford and co and still smash Arsenal, I am afraid you need to be a bit more reasonable.

We had a season from hell so far with criticism right, left and centre, 90% of it justified if not more. Today was impressive though, fair is fair and credit where it's due. Not being able to see that shows that some people have simply chosen to criticize everything until the manager is gone in which case, I am not sure why they are still following the team.

vk20legend

You have to get someone scoring penalties, yes it would have been nice for Rashford, but a couple of games time he might not be playing. Ander is now the penalty taker until he misses one. The way he takes them I'm not sure he would miss.
True.. But if I remember correctly, Rashford scored a penalty in UEFA youth league match?! If the game was out of their reach I wouldn't deny a local lad seal a dream debut with a hatrick.. Just saying..

I am all for making sure the penalty gets put away and sealing the scoreline.. But I just wish it was Rashford at 4-1 instead of 3-1.. Call me sentimental I guess.. :)

Fully Fledged

Tonight shouldn't be taken as any kind of indication as to how sunday will go. We were ace tonight but arsenal are a million miles away from tonights opponents.
Let Sunday wait until Sunday. This season has been so hard that I for one can celebrate a performance without keying in the over all state of the season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
True.. But if I remember correctly, Rashford scored a penalty in UEFA youth league match?! If the game was out of their reach I wouldn't deny a local lad seal a dream debut with a hatrick.. Just saying..

I am all for making sure the penalty gets put away and sealing the scoreline.. But I just wish it was Rashford at 4-1 instead of 3-1.. Call me sentimental I guess.. :)
I think if it was the last goal he would have taken it as you said. They needed to completely kill the game off and Ander did it.

Thisistheone

That was absolutely brilliant. Most enjoyable game I've seen from us in a long time. Rashford, Memphis, Riley, Varela. Poole coming on as well.

Yes!!

drdoityourself

I don't care if it was a poor opposition. Norwich's defence is equally shambolic and we managed to sleepwalk through that. It was a fantastic display, Memphis was unplayable, Varela, Riley and Rashford were fantastic.
I've almost forgotten how good a good Manchester United performance can make me feel.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
You get a real buzz from young players doing well...so it was only a minor Danish side, but it must have done their confidence the world of good before Arsenal.

walkinhop

@Annihilate Now!

Zarif Imran
[MU]
"In short, please play these youngsters as 1st teamers, ...and get rid of Rooney. Let him go to shanghai or whatever country league clubs that want him"

Is that you Imran? ;)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Only caught the end of the game but we looked outstanding.

Oldham

Memphis definitely MOM.
Very impressed with the young lads, Riley and Rashford. Valera also did well.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I can't think of a more enjoyable game to watch so far this season. Yes it was poor opposition but given the mental injuries we have I thought it was great entertainment and that's what we want.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't think of a more enjoyable game to watch so far this season. Yes it was poor opposition but given the mental injuries we have I thought it was great entertainment and that's what we want.
but given that we're usually shit and boring regardless of how poor or not poor the opposition are... it was refreshing and enjoyable for us to play well, score goals, and have fun!

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Where the feck did that performance come from ?

Even if it was just Midgetland, it's still what you'd expect from a good united side against lesser opposition. Lots of positives really .. we played with tempo, there was intent, none of that play the safe pass and recycling the ball crap. The players weren't afraid of taking on their man or playing a risky pass now and then, even if it meant losing the ball. Oh, and coming from behind, punishing a team for daring to score at OT .. feels more like the old United we know and love.

Rashford put in a performance worthy of a MOTM on any other day, but Depay was simply out of this world tonight and deserved his late goal.

Long may the hornyness continue.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
You get a real buzz from young players doing well...so it was only a minor Danish side, but it must have done their confidence the world of good before Arsenal.
This.

They won't beat Arsenal. Let's be realistic but, that tonight is exactly what Manchester United is all about. First time since 2011 or the Villa game in 2013 where we've played without fear and just expressed ourselves

Ecstatic for those youngsters.

pacifictheme

Let Sunday wait until Sunday. This season has been so hard that I for one can celebrate a performance without keying in the over all state of the season.
I agree. My point was in response to the previous posters comment. Tonight was great with the youngsters but my hopes for sunday are not increased despite the performance. I think i'd be setting myself up for a fall.

stu_1992

A very good performance, especially the second half. Great debut for Rashford. He must be buzzing. Great performance by Memphis, his best in a long time. Hope he can kick on from there.

Someone

Something
Best game of the season by far, we should start the kids for the rest of the season for all i care.

walkinhop

Memphis Deep-hey found his level deep into the Retarded European contest, together with Levinham and Botverpool.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Maybe im just tired of this cycle the caf seems to be in, go mental about how we're back on form and everyone played brilliant when we beat Danish and League 2 sides, giving the manager further reason to keep his job, then have a massive heart attack when we get beat in the league like its a shock.

ghagua

LvG got the team really horny for this game. I wonder who he paraded naked before the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Maybe im just tired of this cycle the caf seems to be in, go mental about how we're back on form and everyone played brilliant when we beat Danish and League 2 sides, giving the manager further reason to keep his job, then have a massive heart attack when we get beat in the league like its a shock.
This season has been a disaster, my advice is take each game as it comes and enjoy the good games without to much over thinking of the next games. I have predicted Arsenal to wack us 4-1, do I care, not a bit because im buzzing about seeing a brilliant performance in an injury ravaged team. LVG will be gone in the summer and all the positives of this season may build the foundation of next so lets just enjoy a good game for what it was.

Roosney

Horny rash ass twitching youngster performance. It was depayback time. Now where's my medal?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Enjoyed that immensely! Well done to team and dare I say Management .
I know the opposition were poor but I don't care because for once we played as a Manchester United team should i.e. Full of brio, flair, attacking verve, confidence and just a touch of arrogance.
Great to see confident , bright, young players strut their stuff for United.

Parry Gallister

Happiest I've been all season with this display. Couldn't care less if it was Midgetland - the intent, drive, passion, never giving up spirit was great to see from the lads.

Shout out to Riley, Varela and of course Rashford. Boys playing without fear in such a pressure game as this was just great. Arsenal is a different proposition but feck it, Sunday is another day.
Yeah the kids, (those three in particular, along with CBJ and AP) have something about them. It's easy to say we were playing a side with a much lower level, but we had to play with children in attack and the most bolted together the most ramshackle defence I may have ever seen us put out (and that's saying something). Most looking at the team sheets wouldn't have said it would be an easy game.

markhrad

Finally Utd style football. Great to watch and I hope there are some more of these skillful players coming through our academy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just got back in properly from the game.

We played well, but it was all looking very United at one point, and not in a good way. Not long after being asked how much possession I reckon we had and replying 'dunno, feels like about 80', they scored with an easy and fast attack.

We improved in the second half of course, although the scoreline flattered us because they collapsed after playing pretty well (credit to them).

Memphis confirmed my thoughts some more - that he will become a very good player, particularly in a better side with a better manager, if that ever happens.

Great start for Rashford. Perfect confidence booster, as there wouldn't have been a ton of pressure/difficulty like playing against a European giant, but he'll gain a lot from playing so well in Europe on his debut.

Nik70

Just got back in properly from the game.

We played well, but it was all looking very United at one point, and not in a good way. Not long after being asked how much possession I reckon we had and replying 'dunno, feels like about 80', they scored with an easy and fast attack.

We improved in the second half of course, although the scoreline flattered us because they collapsed after playing pretty well (credit to them).

Memphis confirmed my thoughts some more - that he will become a very good player, particularly in a better side with a better manager, if that ever happens.

Great start for Rashford. Perfect confidence booster, as there wouldn't have been a ton of pressure/difficulty like playing against a European giant, but he'll gain a lot from playing so well in Europe on his debut.
I don't think the scoreline flattered us at all! If anything it flattered them. It was total domination. It could easily have been 10-1.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Only saw from halftime on. The studio analysts were really down on us so it made watching the 2nd half even better. Great to see the Utd we all love tear someone apart. The trick moves, the great finishes - it all came together nicely. So enjoyable, finally.
More of the same please.

Man of the Match

Memphis Depay image Memphis Depay 85% of 883 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 623 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Midtjylland win