PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 August 2015

Charlie Foley

But for the ball going in a lot of our play was good. However, passing the ball back and forth with seconds left drives me crazy. I'll give a more detailed post when I'm less frustrated

Bojan11

Van Gaal has lost it if he thinks we do not need another player.

pseudo_canadian

It is hilarious that we didn't score in that game. It begs belief.

Oh, and need an actual striker - Rooney and Hernandez are not good enough if we want to be towards the top of the table at the end of the season.

SCM

Far too slow in the build up and possession is useless if it is at a snails pace. By time they have passed the ball about the opposition has got everyone back in defence and we struggle to break them down.

Luminous Lizard

Annoying game, another day we would of scored early on or nicked one at the end.

Creating more than the first two games though at least.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We were good, best of out those three games in the PRL, very unlucky not to win. Maybe this game highlights that we need a world class striker, hard to find now though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm massively disappointed that we haven't scored. We had several chances and quite a few big ones as well, and we couldn't get a goal? This really surprises me.

What also surprised me is how sloppy we were in the final third. How were so many of our deliveries from out wide so bad? Everything else was done well, but we really should have done better in the final third for the number of times we went in there.

We really should have won, and this 0-0 draw feels like a loss. Newcastle got very lucky there.

Now we've seen what we are missing. We had more and better chances in the 15 minutes Hernandez spent off the shoulder of the last man than we have had in the previous 255 of Rooney wandering around in midfield.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
LVG will say we played well and we deserved to win - but that was proper shit on a stick football yet again.

No Herrera again, at this point I rather keep Herrera than LVG to be honest.

Rooney needed 5 touches to pass to a team mate again, shambolic performance.

Raw

If we're going to compare it to last season, defence has definitely improved, but we've scored the same amount of goals in 3 league games as the first 3 of last season.

It's such a major fecking concern.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The cowardliness shown in stoppage time to take the ball forward and make chances...all we needed to do was load up the box. Sticking with two defensive midfielders all game. Just pure negativity.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Fecking shite. Horrible boring football. We're nowhere near Chelsea, City or Arsenal.

Load of tripe. Manager is too set in his ways; stubborn as hell. I want to see us play like we did under Fergie.

Reynoldo

Positive is that this should hit home how much we need another top signing up front.

vibe

Said it before, will say it again. We need an answer when teams start playing the 10-0-0 against us. And the answer to that isn't Rooney.

This match should hopefully put beyond doubt that if we don't sign someone up front to replace Rooney, the title is out of the question.

World Game

Holy crap, the finishing is so bad all round. Seems like the more chances we create, the less likely we are to score this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We need to buy an attacking player with pace... Way too pedestrian and no movement

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
How about we don't play Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger/Carrick anymore without an actual forward-thinking midfielder. Too bad we don't have one of those on the bench.

Should someone tell Van Gaal that possession doesn't win football matches?

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Couldn't keep the tempo up, a lot of possession but not moving the ball quick enough. Newcastle allowed to reshape before we made another attack.

Poor result to be fair

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Great first 20mins after that we played like an LVG team. Personally I don't like it. So slow, no movement. Memphis and Junazaj are just not at the level we need yet. Not saying they won't be but they should be being eased in, coming on for established players.

Godfather

Should have won this. Good game overall but we really struggle to score. Need some striker to put those balls from the wings to.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They parked the bus for the last 30 minutes. Always awful to watch, and so difficult to pick apart. Should have been out of sight in the first half. Still a good defensive display. We look solid all over, but there's just little spark for breaking down teams who don't want to play. Need to kill it when the game is open.

The positive is that they didn't have a single effort on target, even during the spells where we looked disorganised in the first half.

Fine margins settled it though. Rooney should have been given the benefit of the doubt, Smalling hit the post, Hernandez should have finished better with his weaker foot, Carrick's shot deflected inches wide. One of those days.

Brophs

The One and Only
There'll be lots more of those sorts of performances this season, lads, so I wouldn't waste all your annoyance just yet.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 921 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle