PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 22 August 2015

Varun

Staff
Bizarre reactions. Thought we were good in the 2nd half and excellent in the 1st 25.

Fully deserved the win. Some bad first Al play, some bad luck, a goal wrongly disallowed and collocini doing well cost us 2 deserved points.

We do need a striker but that was obvious before the game.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Rooney is a no 10. End of story. We need someone to play ahead of him.
He played there last season..when he played poorly, the calls where to play him at 9..I remember the usual calls whereby when anyone questioned his poor goal tally , the reply was always "Play him up top, he'll easily score 20-25"...For how long will the narrative keep changing?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone who thinks we don't need another forward is living on another planet... And I include LVG in that

Ludens the Red

Continuing to leave out Herrera when nobody is showing enough creativity is mind boggling.
Playing every game with a cone as captain isn't helpful either. We'll struggle for goals all season if Lvg continues to ignore these things.

bananaman

This is awful to watch. I don't like this van Gaal stuff. It's boring. We lack quality up front. Rooney worryingly off form. He'd be dropped if we had anyone else. Mata too slow for counter attacks.

stepic

Newcastle defended well. We created plenty of chances. Not a bad effort today, just unlucky that one of those chances didn't go in, hernandez's particularly.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Looking forward to the day LVG walks out the door.
Yes. It is LVG's fault that Memphis and Januzaj gave the ball away at every opportunity, that we didn't score when we dominated early on, that the ref was shite and it was also LVG's fault that the Newcastle defense put their bodies in front of everything.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
We were pretty decent in defense and midfield. No surprises from the strike department, they were gash. Chico was good, but the creativity apart from Memphis(only at times) was gash. Rooney was fecking awful. LVG is setting us up to play well, our players aren't delivering what he's asking.

Kopral Jono

The game definitely belongs to the 'one of those days' category. That said, we didn't do enough to break Newcastle down. Herrera needs to play. Reinforcements needed.

Mister_Stubbs

I don't want to accept this is the "United away" from here on. I want us to play with urgency, with pace and width. Not this shit.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That was really pretty good. I can't remember us creating that many chances for absolutely ages.

There'll always be days like that. We looked good today, just couldn't finish.

diarm

There'll be a massive overreaction to this but that first 25 minutes was as good as anything we've seen in years.
A competent linesman and we're a goal up with them having to chase the game and leaving more space.

Then in the second half you have to give credit to an absolutely heroic effort from Newcastle at the back. Wijnaldum, Coloccinni, Mitrovic, Thibaut and Perez were incredible.

Van Gaal needs to say something publicly about referees protecting players like Januzaj, Mata and Memphis. We can't expect to see football played when fellas can just kick lumps out of decent players up and down the pitch.

Aporkalypse

Rooney isn't a threat on his own up front, especially when he's barely actually up there.

LVG will say the usual post-game but I bet he's onto Ed to get a striker in ASAP.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
Man it sucks to be a united fan this boring football is relentless van gaal better find us a decent attacker or 2 as we've been pathetic all season up top.

Ixion

A Rooney/Januzaj partnership just won't cut it, said it before the Villa game and since.

Other than that Newcastle did alright and we were a little unlucky. One of those days.

the hea

Poor petformances from Mata and Memphis today still we had one goal wrongly disallowed and created enough to score atleast another one it was just one of those days.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
3 games, 2 wins and a draw, who would not take that ? No goals conceeded and we are only one attacking player away of becoming a real force again.
Well the games were Spurs (were OG scored), the mighty Club Brugge (Championship level?) and Newcastle at home

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Fellaini cost us this game by getting a red V Hull.

We need a new CF who is good in the air.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
So we scored one deflected goal and another own goal in 270 of league football. We are not going to play many easier games this season. Decent performance alright, but if we can't score against that lot...

NK86

One question which bugs me even more is the constant need to have two holding mids when we need to go for the kill. Should have brought on Herrera for Schneiderlin instead of making that meaningless Valencia switch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Continuing to leave out Herrera when nobody is showing enough creativity is mind boggling.
Playing every game with a cone as captain isn't helpful either. We'll struggle for goals all season if Lvg continues to ignore these things.
Fair point. He was the spark in the middle last season. You'd think that he'd be a natural choice for home games or at least further into home games when teams park the bus.

championo

Top Stalker
Why sell RVP? Why? We have a bunch of midgets. We need a bit of height. I am also not feeling Mata, he looks like he is doing something but end product is meh.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 921 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 38% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle