PL L FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 February 2018

edgar allan

Didn't catch the game today. Reading various threads on here it seems the blame lies with...

The entire defence
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku
Mourinho
I think Matic had a much better game than of late.
Lukaku played very well.
Jose and Pogba were indeed terrible.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Thought Jose would turn us into a nasty team. He hasn't, we are still a patting kiddies on the head side and saying we have to up our game side. Heard the latter before. I just hope they realise the F.A. Cup would be nice and do not let Huddersfield play like last time we went there.
Huddersfield had a good win today(4-1), and if we play like we did today on Saturday we'll get beat.

Maybe the players are saving themselves for the big boys stuff in the Champions League.

Are you enjoying the snow ?

Jeffthered

An ugly performance, that represents an ugly, arrogant, self-centred man. What is his issue with Pogba? Play the guy in a position where he can be most effective - and that IS NOT beside Matic in a midfield two. But his (Mourinho's) arrogance will get in the way. We are losing to a v v v poor Newcastle team, and he takes off Pogba, and replaces him with Carrick??? (who I love by the way, but that wasn't the change needed).

Pogba and Sanchez are our two most creative players. So we take one off.

This performance doesn't surprise many. This manager is taking us nowwhere. A Europa League and League Cup was a huge improvement on two year's of absolute dross. But we aren't close to being where we should be after two seasons as a squad, and the money spent (!!!!).

He clearly isn't inspiring these players, you can see it... we are two-thirds into the season, so there are trends that are clear to see. We are now fighting for second. Who would put money on us right now? And this has been coming... I fear for the club heading back to square one.. I fear for De Gea, and I fear for Pogba being here in September.

Mourinho is interested in the opinion of one man. I'm sick of his demeanour, and his constant focus on other managers, clubs, players etc.

The club need to start looking ahead, but with Ed Woodward in charge of recruitment, I am not feeling too hopeful...

Sgeorge

Another pathetic performace. Poor tactics and selections from Jose.

1. Jones and Smalling should never play together. All they do is pass the ball sideways to the full backs or a short pass to Matic. They have no composure, everytime Jones just instructs the players to hoof the ball or back pass to GK for him to hoof the ball. Jones should be sold, he is a bundle of nerves. Smalling I would keep as a backup since he is a good header of the ball and keeps himself mostly injury free. What happened to Lindelof, he was showing signs of quality. Probably a case like Shaw and not like Mikhi. Hopefully he is not sold.

2. How many more games would it take for Jose to realize the strengths and weakness of his players and play them accordingly. Pogba doesn't work in a midfield two, Martial not as effective on right.

3. Lingard and Young had a purple patch during the season, that is over now. Besides Shaw has been playing very good, so why not play him.

Here is my wishful formation with Lukaku playing as a right sided forward (he has produced some excellent football from there), Martial through the middle and Herrera for some much needed passion and energy in midfiled.

DDG
Valencia,Smalling,Rojo,Shaw
Herrera,Matic,Pogba
Lukaku,Martial,Sanchez

And may be appoint a attacking coach next time around.

edgar allan

An ugly performance, that represents an ugly, arrogant, self-centred man. What is his issue with Pogba? Play the guy in a position where he can be most effective - and that IS NOT beside Matic in a midfield two. But his (Mourinho's) arrogance will get in the way. We are losing to a v v v poor Newcastle team, and he takes off Pogba, and replaces him with Carrick??? (who I love by the way, but that wasn't the change needed).

This performance doesn't surprise many. This manager is taking us nowwhere. A Europa League and League Cup was a huge improvement on two year's of absolute dross. But we aren't close to being where we should be after two seasons as a squad, and the money spent (!!!!).

He clearly isn't inspiring these players, you can see it... we are two-thirds into the season, so there are trends that are clear to see. We are now fighting for second. Who would put money on us right now? And this has been coming... I fear for the club heading back to square one.. I fear for De Gea, and I fear for Pogba being here in September.

Mourinho is interested in the opinion of one man. I'm sick of his demeanour, and his constant focus on other managers, clubs, players etc.

The club need to start looking ahead, but with Ed Woodward in charge of recruitment, I am not feeling too hopeful...
I share most of your feelings regarding Jose however Pogba today should have been taken off 30 mins before he was.
If he plays with that lack of effort again he shouldn't start again.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Worst performance from a man utd team ever,, both manager and too many players at fault.
Pogba doesn't seem to have the correct mentality to be a top footballer, and too much mediocrity within the team.
The midfield should have been strengthened many summers ago and we missed an opportunity this January as well. Mourino has got to play a three man midfield, with two decent defenders, Linguard is not a midfielder and Carrack has been past his best for a few years now.
I wouldn't go this far. Spurs was way worse!! Although we did lose to Newcastle which is straight up a joke

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Huddersfield had a good win today(4-1), and if we play like we did today on Saturday we'll get beat.

Maybe the players are saving themselves for the big boys stuff in the Champions League.

Are you enjoying the snow ?
It looks like it is going now. More sleety than snow it is so cold, and yes they will have to buck their ideas up on Saturday. It would not be great for morale.

A-man

Another pathetic performace. Poor tactics and selections from Jose.

1. Jones and Smalling should never play together. All they do is pass the ball sideways to the full backs or a short pass to Matic. They have no composure, everytime Jones just instructs the players to hoof the ball or back pass to GK for him to hoof the ball. Jones should be sold, he is a bundle of nerves. Smalling I would keep as a backup since he is a good header of the ball and keeps himself mostly injury free. What happened to Lindelof, he was showing signs of quality. Probably a case like Shaw and not like Mikhi. Hopefully he is not sold.

2. How many more games would it take for Jose to realize the strengths and weakness of his players and play them accordingly. Pogba doesn't work in a midfield two, Martial not as effective on right.

3. Lingard and Young had a purple patch during the season, that is over now. Besides Shaw has been playing very good, so why not play him.

Here is my wishful formation with Lukaku playing as a right sided forward (he has produced some excellent football from there), Martial through the middle and Herrera for some much needed passion and energy in midfiled.

DDG
Valencia,Smalling,Rojo,Shaw
Herrera,Matic,Pogba
Lukaku,Martial,Sanchez

And may be appoint a attacking coach next time around.
I agree on evertrhing except for the XI. I would like to see three at the back. It wasn’t working well until Pogba was taken off due to his red card or if it was an injury, can’t remember.

I don’t understand how Mou has been playing Lindelöf. When he plays well several games in a row, he moves him to the side and then to the bench. It is terrible to see a team like Manchester United being happy with clearing the ball at the back. That is where you start the build up. If you play 4-3-3 you need CBs to contribute offensively if you want to be in charge of the game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If we had taken our chances we would have won comfortably, so it is not the worst united performance ever as one poster said. Bar the first ten minutes, if was a decent performance. Much better than spurs a week ago. Still pissed Martial and Sanchez did not score with their chances.

OLLY ORANGE

Terrible formation. Terrible game management, Terrible substitutes, Terrible subsitute timings.
The buck stops at Jose end of.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Intensity could be better as Neville alluded to. We should really be dominating the poorer teams even away from home like City do.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Souness said he is immature and he does appear to be a big kid, who has no tactical awareness. A world class midfielder would be comfortable in a midfield two or three. That we have to protect him says a lot.
Possibly true, but there seems to be a linked physical issue. It's almost like he can't train for fear of overdoing it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Did you see when they cut to him sitting on the bench after getting subbed? His head was tilted back, face pale and all. Was he sick or something? He didn’t even look like he even had the physical strength to get into the match today.
Yes he clearly wasn't at the races. And yet Jose said he was fine in the post match. Which he clearly wasn't. Something funny going on.

stu_1992

It was some very grim viewing today, particularly after the goal for them. We were awful after that when we needed a reaction the most. In truth our best period came just before the goal. Annoying to concede from such a crap freekick to give away. Smalling fecking diving there like. Feck sake.

Lukaku is about the only United player I'd credit today. He didn't score or have many chances but I thought his game other than that was quite good and he created a few decent moment for others.

Jeffthered

If we had taken our chances we would have won comfortably, so it is not the worst united performance ever as one poster said. Bar the first ten minutes, if was a decent performance. Much better than spurs a week ago. Still pissed Martial and Sanchez did not score with their chances.
Hugh, that was not a good performance. This is what concerns me, some on here seem to want a 'race to the bottom'... being content with average football. That was complete rubbish. Rubbish. Rubbish, so let us not dress it up and attempt to 'explain' it.

I await the end of the season, and HOPE for some surprises in the CL. That's more of the United pace, but again, under this manager, I don't hold my breath. Mourinho is now having a negative affect on the team, players and club I fear. The other teams around us are more expressive, effervescent, durable, have an identity, and play the game with a confidence we lack. Defensively, we have been v good generally. But offensively, we just depend on individual moments. Young had a purple patch earlier in the season. Lukaku started well (against lesser teams); Lindgard hit a purple patch... Mata had his annual performance... and then, er....

??????

Jig1234

It isn't a team, it is just eleven random players. What is our style supposed to be?
Nobody knows. I was saying even in the summer when we got Pogba that if we sign him to play in a two, it won't work. Since then he keeps using him a 4-2-3-1. When we signed Sanchez I thought he must be signing him to play on the Right-wing, that's what we need, no sticks him on the left. Kills Martial confidence. Breaks what wasn't broken. The signing of Sanchez is starting to stink of nothing but opportunism.

Bigs up Luke Shaw and still drops him every away game for Young. Where is his big money signing Lindolof, he hasn't been perfect but I thought he was getting better and suddenly he's fallen off the face of the earth.

He is making this up as he goes along. He just assembled the team of Avengers upfront with a few duds in defence. The XI, the system the style of play is terrible. - I don't care about the missed chances we don't create enough of them today and we that's on him and his dire football.

haram

Didn't catch the game today. Reading various threads on here it seems the blame lies with...

The entire defence
Matic
Pogba
Lukaku
Mourinho
Lukaku was the best player. He has no blame for this game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nobody knows. I was saying even in the summer when we got Pogba that if we sign him to play in a two, it won't work. Since then he keeps using him a 4-2-3-1. When we signed Sanchez I thought he must be signing him to play on the Right-wing, that's what we need, no sticks him on the left. Kills Martial confidence. Breaks what wasn't broken. The signing of Sanchez is starting to stink of nothing but opportunism.

Bigs up Luke Shaw and still drops him every away game for Young. Where is his big money signing Lindolof, he hasn't been perfect but I thought he was getting better and suddenly fallen off the face of the earth.

He is making this up as he goes along. He just assembled the team of Avengers upfront with a few duds in defence. The XI, the system the style of play is terrible. - I don't care about the missed chances we don't create enough of them today and we that's on him and his dire football.
They were talking on Talksport about the european leagues and France and the World Cup cropped up. It more about Antoinne, but Pogba cropped up. They both said he should not be in a two and it restricts him and that France don't trust him in a two either.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Do you remember when we went through that slump over Christmas? We counteracted that, in part, by peppering opponents goals with long shots - starting against Derby/Everton and lasting for a few games. We seem to have stopped taking shots from distance and that's making it way too easy for opponents to defend against us. If, for instance, Alexis threw in a few long-shots rather than attempting chipped through-balls constantly, defences would feel far less comfortable holding their shape like they did today.

OLLY ORANGE

Three quarters through the season and Jose still doesn't know his best formation.
Lingard starting and Pogba sat next to matic in the centre does not work for the team how long before it sinks in with Jose.
We are fighting for fourth playing with this set up, it will be between us and Chelsea who have a dead man walking but will still be touch and go whether we get back into champ league.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Not a terrible performance as some posters are making out. Spurs was a terrible performance. Some posters calling for his head are off too. Bad day at the office but if we had taken our chances, we would have won 3-0. We are second in the league FFS. Granted Pogba could do better and Lingarrd was poor, but we should have won.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Lukaku was the best player. He has no blame for this game.
Did he have a single attempt on target today? I like him, but I can't think of a striker who's played so consistently for us over a season incapable of creating chances for himself.

Djemba-Djemba

To have fallen behind away from home 31 times since January 2014 and only come back to win once is such a fecking disgrace when you think of the money we've spent since then.

No wonder we've been also rans for the last 5 years.

Hasawi Red

I don't give a feck if Mourinho leaves in the summer to be honest. There's simply no way that we should look clueless on the pitch in 90% of the games we play after the money we've spent and after how long Mourinho's been here.

On Pogba. Again. Getting to the point where I don't give a feck if he stays or not. He hasn't been good enough in his time here and can apparently only play in 1 system and we look horrendously unbalanced in any other system. He has to show he is good enough to build around him first before we actually fully commit to that, and I'm beginning to doubt that.

On Lukaku. Yeah he did "alright". Ish. But that's Lukaku. He'll get goals now and then. He'll have decent bits of play. Is he or will he ever be on the same level as what our main strikers under Sir Alex were? Not in a million years. He is way too limited, wish we never bought him and he's another one of those where he'll just hold a spot and hold us back until we get a more dynamic striker that won't limit us like he does.
This team is just shit, Jose is not building a Manchester Untrd team. He is not even building a Jose team. We buy players without a thought on how to use them, Lukaku and now Sanches are proof that. Jose hasnt got a clue what he wants and no clue how to utilize what he has.

This team is as boring as the LVG team without the memorable games against the top sides. At least with LVG we got the JuanField and that thrashing of city.

So far with Jose we got the UEFA cup in a really not so impressive fashion i might add.

I dont like him and dont like what he has planned if current performances and tactics are anything to go by. Hope he can prove me wrong somehow but he is just so stubborn and miserable its really frustrating and very hard to patient with him.

Chelsea fans loved him cause they didnt know better then, Unted fans do and witnessed much better.

The sooner he fecks off the better, even if he wins something his style is just not good enough and i doubt he is able to dominate as he used to as football has moved on and everyone is a big spender now, so its not so much how you spend its how you spend it and use it. So no its not worth putting up with his style for a rare trophy, only way to be ok with it is sweeping all which i doubt he can do.

Sing you a song

Surprised to see you say Pogba was creative I thought he was absolutely dreadful he needs to wake up to the fact that he is now playing in the most competitive and toughest league in the world,he is not playing in the slow paced Italian league where he would have space and time,he needs to get with the programme or he will prove to be footballs most expensive mistake ever .
He was strolling around like a spoilt child today another totally inept display from him all that hype around him and Debryne is 10 times the player he is,no stupid haircuts no daft dances just a fabulous player giving his all for the team a true driving force.Pogba should be bloody ashamed.He can blame playing " in the wrong position " all he wants but that doesn't excuse Miss playing passes lack of effort and never getting into the Newcastle box yes NEWCASTLE not Barcelona Newcastle a relegation threatened bunch of no marks . I'm sick to death of seeing him put in this type of performance. I didn't think he could be worse than he was against Tottenham ... he proved me wrong.

singhters

Disgraceful performance, no urgency, no tempo, we were slow in our passing and build up play, there was no movement and at times they were like mannequins, plus side I thought Lukaku did very well, his passing and creating chances is very good i think he gets a bit too much criticism and i am guilty of that myself. Sanchez was another plus.

But last 2 defeats in the league what is the excuse now ?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not a terrible performance as some posters are making out. Spurs was a terrible performance. Some posters calling for his head are off too. Bad day at the office but if we had taken our chances, we would have won 3-0. We are second in the league FFS. Granted Pogba could do better and Lingarrd was poor, but we should have won.
Standards have dropped for some then. For me that was a terrible performance. They haven’t won at home in 4 months and yet they fully deserved to win.

Jig1234

They were talking on Talksport about the european leagues and France and the World Cup cropped up. It more about Antoinne, but Pogba cropped up. They both said he should not be in a two and it restricts him and that France don't trust him in a two either.
Everyone and the bloke on the street knew this from day one. If Mourinho wanted to play 4-2-3-1. Why didn't he sign someone who didn't need to learn the position?

Just get a proven box to box midfielder. He must have thought he would be able tocoach him to play there, well he clearly can't.

Mourinho's stubborness will cost us top 4. He looks like yesterday's man when it comes to coaching. Our football is terrible, and that's why the atmosphere is terrible at Old Trafford, no entirely but it's a large factor.

Jeffthered

Surprised to see you say Pogba was creative I thought he was absolutely dreadful he needs to wake up to the fact that he is now playing in the most competitive and toughest league in the world,he is not playing in the slow paced Italian league where he would have space and time,he needs to get with the programme or he will prove to be footballs most expensive mistake ever .
He was strolling around like a spoilt child today another totally inept display from him all that hype around him and Debryne is 10 times the player he is,no stupid haircuts no daft dances just a fabulous player giving his all for the team a true driving force.Pogba should be bloody ashamed.He can blame playing " in the wrong position " all he wants but that doesn't excuse Miss playing passes lack of effort and never getting into the Newcastle box yes NEWCASTLE not Barcelona Newcastle a relegation threatened bunch of no marks . I'm sick to death of seeing him put in this type of performance. I didn't think he could be worse than he was against Tottenham ... he proved me wrong.

I didn't hear a thing re Pogba, when we were missing him whilst injured, and the deterioration in the general quality of our play was so, so, evident. Today he lacked maturity, and that isn't acceptable, of course not. My question, and concern, is why? What has changed? Mourinho is hanging the guy out to dry, in the knowledge that more people will talk about Pogba (often negatively which is an interesting and unsettling observation for other reasons...) than focus on himself as Mourinho the manager.

Now everyone talks about Pogba. Lukaku? Lindgard? Martial? As usual, these three can play fantastically average at best and not much is said... and why? because we do not really expect much more. If one of those players took a few games and dominated them, it would take the pressure of Pogba.

We expect the flaming world from this guy, and he hasn't the team or coach around him. Comparisons with KDB, require comparisons with their respective teams. Play KDB in this United team under Mourinho, and play Pogba in the City team under Pep. What do you think would be the result.

Focusing on Pogba is missing the point. Mourinho knows this, because he also knows the mess he is making.

automaticflare

Inappropriate Content
This was bollox

1 - smalling is fecking shite consistently is retarded on the ball and plays passes behind the man totally negating our ability to break initial defensive line of our opposition, fecking rubbish player

2 - Valencia and young are solid pros but today they were absolute pish

3 - fecking pogba looked injured for the whole game and should not have played, especially in a midfield 2 where he had to run. Jose should have hooked him.

4 - we still missed too many chances, still could have had 2/3 or goals. Not clinical enough

5 - lukaku is a donkey and will have bad games but today he was probably our best player and literally got no feckig service our attack and build up was slow and that stems from the back. See point 1. Smalling. Games like this I feel bad for big lukaku

6 - matic is getting slaughtered playing with pogba in a 2 just like carrick did for many years

7 - fecking hate football

FrenchRed

We weren't bad in the second half when we upped the tempo - very unlucky not to get an equalizer or even win it. I have the feeling that if one went in the floodgates would have opened.

Teams always up their performance against us, and opposition keepers do seem to put in some MOM performances. Newcastle are fighting for their lives, so it's not surprise to see them desperate to win - something we weren't.

1st half was dross - something is definitely up with Pogba. Martial was totally uninterested.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I was surprised to see how devoid of ideas you seemed. Mourinho himself looked like he wasn’t really arsed. Is it possible that his motivation is gone after it’s clear he won’t win the league?

Sing you a song

I didn't hear a thing re Pogba, when we were missing him whilst injured, and the deterioration in the general quality of our play was so, so, evident. Today he lacked maturity, and that isn't acceptable, of course not. My question, and concern, is why? What has changed? Mourinho is hanging the guy out to dry, in the knowledge that more people will talk about Pogba (often negatively which is an interesting and unsettling observation for other reasons...) than focus on himself as Mourinho the manager.

Now everyone talks about Pogba. Lukaku? Lindgard? Martial? As usual, these three can play fantastically average at best and not much is said... and why? because we do not really expect much more. If one of those players took a few games and dominated them, it would take the pressure of Pogba.

We expect the flaming world from this guy, and he hasn't the team or coach around him. Comparisons with KDB, require comparisons with their respective teams. Play KDB in this United team under Mourinho, and play Pogba in the City team under Pep. What do you think would be the result.

Focusing on Pogba is missing the point. Mourinho knows this, because he also knows the mess he is making.

Sorry mate but I don't believe Mourinho should carry the can for this in my view he has been pretty supportive of pogba since his arrival but is now quite rightly beginning to show the frustration that most of us are feeling .
I agree Pogba should be played in a 3 not a 2 but this doesn't excuse the totally inept performances he is putting in .
I'm sure Mourinho doesn't ask him to miss place passes,give the ball away regularly, be bullied in midfield by second rate players and have absolutely no impact in the last 3rd.
Apart from a handful of games his contribution has been minimal.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We weren't bad in the second half when we upped the tempo - very unlucky not to get an equalizer or even win it. I have the feeling that if one went in the floodgates would have opened.

Teams always up their performance against us, and opposition keepers do seem to put in some MOM performances. Newcastle are fighting for their lives, so it's not surprise to see them desperate to win - something we weren't.

1st half was dross - something is definitely up with Pogba. Martial was totally uninterested.
This.

Sing you a song

Martial was totally uninterested " shock "
This guy has had his chances and seems at best to be capable of one good performance in every 3 or 4 games .
We need to move him on in the summer while we can get good money for him

Full bodied red

Martial always looks uninterested and lethargic - even when he was scoring for fun in his first year with us he always looked uninterested and lethargic

Today no more than usual....

Rajma

I was surprised to see how devoid of ideas you seemed. Mourinho himself looked like he wasn’t really arsed. Is it possible that his motivation is gone after it’s clear he won’t win the league?
To me he seems like "If you can't be 1st the rest doesn't matter" type, he invests himself emotionally going into season to win the thing and it may be difficult for him to regroup a start thinking of 2nd or 3rd as some sort of achievement and his enthusiasm drops significantly, that's why he won so much in his career though. Just my opinion obviously.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
If my dad were still around and one was to argue that Pogba needs to play in a particular position to be at his best he would scoff in response and say in a player of that price should be able to play in any position (within reason of course) and still perform to the highest standards without any excuse. The more I think about it now the more I realise he was probably right.

caid

I thought they defended brilliantly and it was always going to be a struggle to score against them.
Our midfield were pretty crap and anonymous in the first half. Matic played well enough but Pogba and Lingard just weren't doing enough, weren't involved enough.
Sanchez wasn't seeing much of the ball so hard to criticise. Lukaku and Martial played fairly well.
Think the ball wasn't moved forward quick enough to stop Newcastle flooding their box and making life difficult
and they're probably not the ideal 3 to try and break down that kind of defence.

Mourinho dicking around with our midfield felt badly timed. It was justified but it wasn't going to get us back in the game.
Mata helped imo. Martial, Sanchez and even Lingard are probably better players with space
but there was no space to take advantage of and pogba was just poor. Were still too reliant on him and his recent form is crap.

Crap defending for their fk, left acres of space in our own box.

We had plenty of chances to win the game and they scored (deservedly) with their only chance so its not the end of the world.
Just a bad day.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
Sorry mate but I don't believe Mourinho should carry the can for this in my view he has been pretty supportive of pogba since his arrival but is now quite rightly beginning to show the frustration that most of us are feeling .
I agree Pogba should be played in a 3 not a 2 but this doesn't excuse the totally inept performances he is putting in .
I'm sure Mourinho doesn't ask him to miss place passes,give the ball away regularly, be bullied in midfield by second rate players and have absolutely no impact in the last 3rd.
Apart from a handful of games his contribution has been minimal.
Well maybe someone's wages just eclipsed his:rolleyes:

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 458 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Newcastle 0:2 Man Utd