PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

MrBest

We would have lost this game a few months ago, striker is badly needed, at least the defence has gotten better.

arthurka

Still makes zero sense given 11 players play in different positions with different attributes. Explain what the nationality has to do with it?
No I won't be bothered. You just figure it out for yourself.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Definitely an improvement on most of last season that, Newcastle are no mugs and will give every team a good game this season.

1st half went as I expected with it being a bit of an arm wrestle and us not settling down.

2nd half was great besides the finishing. We created enough chances to win that game, and limited Newcastle to nothing 2nd half.

Going forward I think Bruno is definitely a worry whilst Martial is out; simply as we don't have much ball retention at the top of the field with Ronaldo playing up top, and whilst Rashford is in better form his ball retention also isn't great.

It's a weird conundrum to solve with our current squad as we need Eriksen deeper, possible switch to 433 with McTominay coming in for Bruno seems the only way to solve it, but it takes a threat away and will allow the opposition to sit deep even more so.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I get the result was disappointing, but if folk can't see the improvements in how we play then I dunt know what to tell them

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I get the result was disappointing, but if folk can't see the improvements in how we play then I dunt know what to tell them
The fact Eriksen was missing and we struggled, shows what a great signing he was. Scott being missing and the midfield being unproductive shows how ETH has improved him. The fact our defence is a lot steadier, and Casemeiro being in front of them shows he and Martinez are great signings. Antony needed help from Dalot as he was crowded out more often than not. A top striker will make the world of difference.

AlPistacho

I didn't think we were too bad first half was even 2nd half we played well without really threatening. Having said that, Fred and Rashford should really have scored we still need upgrades on him and McT plus an out and out striker.

We're getting there slowly patience is required.
Definitely, I’d much rather ETH still try and implement his style of play rather than completely abandoning and going for the counter attack wins, even if it means early on we get some 0-0s and find it hard to get the final 3rd pass and score chances. That bit will no doubt come. Best thing is the defence is good and improved.

Vicker

Can we just have a protest asking to improve that VAR please? It keeps having controversial decisions every game week and it seems the issue is getting worse.
Have 2 ideas to improve.
First, have a centralised VAR station which contains a group of former referees from other league and former players from none of the 20 EPL teams.
Second, have a challenge system implement just like the NBA. Each coach has 1 chance to challenge the referee's decision on red card, penalty and etc.

Pscholes18

Shite.....we need creative players.....same shite different day in the final third, passing side to side hoofing the ball into the middle.....Bruno is shite, Fred is shite, Rashford still not up to par. Still have fatih in ETH but some of this lot need to go. They've had their time/chance. Cnuts.

Andy_Cole

Worst reffing performance I’ve seen in a long time. If I say too much I’ll be in big big trouble.

the_cliff

You don't take Ronaldo off when you need a goal and when you don't have any striker to come on. Newcastle were completely cornered and we would gotten a win ,had Ronaldo been there.

Either don't start him or don't take him off when you need a goal.
Well he's been in terrific goalscoring form atm so you have a point.

Wing Attack Plan R

We need a shooter. Fred, Shaw, Dalot all tooling around the penalty area and none of them ever have a shot on them, so we go wide and try to set up a header with our only reliable header of the ball (rightly ) subbed out.

Martinez and Varane were very good, Casemiro again created easy chances we failed to convert. I don’t know what we can do about Bruno. We are not getting the best from him. Without Eriksen we are poor.

I also honestly don’t know what Fred brings to the team. How is he not only a professional football player but also a United player? Frustrating to watch him. Why we sold Garner and kept Fred deserves an official inquest.

Ronaldo needs fecking off in January.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
A lot of our fans have bad memories. Yes, we are not at our best and it'll take some time. However, we look so solid in defense and have done in every game bar the City one. We look like we can actually keep the ball under pressure and we've been creating some piss easy chances which have been spurned by the likes of Rashford and Fred, today. We're missing key and irreplacable players in Eriksen and Martial. We're just outside the top 4 having quite easily the hardest start to a season out of most of the teams in the league.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Shite.....we need creative players.....same shite different day in the final third, passing side to side hoofing the ball into the middle.....Bruno is shite, Fred is shite, Rashford still not up to par. Still have fatih in ETH but some of this lot need to go. They've had their time/chance. Cnuts.
Don't need constant full stops to put your point across.

wangyu

No urgency, no risks taken. Both utd and newcastle were afraid of losing and then you get a stale draw.
Our attack (sancho, antony, ronaldo, rashford, bruno) despite having a value well over 300 million has no clue how to create chances.

Fred is the scapegoat and he is by no means a great player but if his teammates applied as much as he does we would be better off.
We could do without a sulking Ronaldo and his bromance with Antony which is pathetic. What did Antony whisper in his ear anyway when he was taken off. He covered his mouth so it can’t have been very positive. Are these 2 starting to conspire together?

sokol11

We still lack some quality. Fred offers nothing. Few good opportunities broke down because of his inability to think quickly and release a ball at the right time. Also his general passing is not good enough. Casemiro improving. Without Eriksen we imediately lacked some creativity and influence.
Also I for the life of me can't understand if EPL standard is just to high for Sancho and Bundesliga was his level but he offers absolutely nothing. Faking some effort when chasing players in defence and in offense for which we supposedly bought him he also doesn't offer anything. Cant take on his man. Doesn't create anything. The one thing he mostly can do is play a safe pass to some other player. I just don't see it what he offers. I would take him of today and put Rashford to the left and leave Ronaldo on. High chance he would have scored the last header that Rashford wasted.

Josh 76

We still lack some quality. Fred offers nothing. Few good opportunities broke down because of his inability to think quickly and release a ball at the right time. Also his general passing is not good enough. Casemiro improving. Without Eriksen we imediately lacked some creativity and influence.
Also I for the life of me can't understand if EPL standard is just to high for Sancho and Bundesliga was his level but he offers absolutely nothing. Faking some effort when chasing players in defence and in offense for which we supposedly bought him he also doesn't offer anything. Cant take on his man. Doesn't create anything. The one thing he mostly can do is play a safe pass to some other player. I just don't see it what he offers. I would take him of today and put Rashford to the left and leave Ronaldo on. High chance he would have scored the last header that Rashford wasted.
Keep reading this crap about how Ronaldo would have finished the header Rashford missed. What makes you think he would have even been in that position? He looked fecked in the second half. We actually looked much better when Rashford came on. Ten Haag should have started
him and benched Ronaldo.

Fitchett

Keep reading this crap about how Ronaldo would have finished the header Rashford missed. What makes you think he would have even been in that position? He looked fecked in the second half. We actually looked much better when Rashford came on. Ten Haag should have started
him and benched Ronaldo.
This

r1z3mu

I saw two games today. One was played by two teams I despise the most - and what a game it was (quality, action, drama). And before that I saw game where club I love delivered regular "empty stomach vomit" performance. Now to be positive (I think it's requirement here) we are in a process of complete rebuild and bright future is around corner.

sirAlexsglasses

Mistake taking off CR7, he might have well stayed on, and he would definitely have hurried that header. And no it’s not hindsight, I said at the time it was a mistake.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Newcastle aren't mugs?

Few weeks before the season finished you had that ugly mare in despair, facing relegation. It was a big push that saved them from playing in the championship this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You don't take Ronaldo off when you need a goal and when you don't have any striker to come on. Newcastle were completely cornered and we would gotten a win ,had Ronaldo been there.

Either don't start him or don't take him off when you need a goal.
How can you be sure of it when he's been inexistent on the pitch ?

LARulz

Results this weekend make that draw even worse for our top 4 chances

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
him and benched Ronaldo.
Fact is, he was bullied off the ball the second he came on. Ronaldo finishes that header all day.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
2 opinions based on this season:
1. United are a firmly upper mid table team - the ‘expectations’ of top-4 are above your station and you really should be delighted at Europa/Conference participation. You don’t have the players for it. Can see why Antony is firmly 2nd-3rd choice in Brazil’s right wing.
2. EtH doesn’t look like a manager who can get you to play greater than the sum of your parts (Klopp) or even the better than you’ve shown before (Guardiola). Give him relegation players and you will be relegated, give him mid table players and you will be mid table. If he’s really lucky, at best he can become an Ancellotti, but then Ancellotti’s biggest strength is his ability to act as a confidante. EtH sounds arrogant and not someone I’d want a beer with.

Toblerone92

Results this weekend make that draw even worse for our top 4 chances
Sure they didn’t help but it’s mid-October, plenty of time to make up ground.

The nascent stage of the teams development is going to provide plenty more frustrating encounters for us all to endure in the coming months.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
1. United are a firmly upper mid table team - the ‘expectations’ of top-4 are above your station and you really should be delighted at Europa/Conference participation. You don’t have the players for it. Can see why Antony is firmly 2nd-3rd choice in Brazil’s right wing.
2. EtH doesn’t look like a manager who can get you to play greater than the sum of your parts (Klopp) or even the better than you’ve shown before (Guardiola). Give him relegation players and you will be relegated, give him mid table players and you will be mid table. If he’s really lucky, at best he can become an Ancellotti.
Total nonsense. A travesty of a post that. Probably Wumming and I fell for it so well done.

No one can tell me that we're all that much better under ten Hag (right now) than we were under Ole -- the difference right now just being the replacement of Maguire with Martinez (which is a significant upgrade). Our play still is just as unimaginative as it's always been.
We are 10 games in. At this point of Oles reign he was the second coming of SAF.

Wing Attack Plan R

2. EtH doesn’t look like a manager who can get you to play greater than the sum of your parts (Klopp) or even the better than you’ve shown before (Guardiola). Give him relegation players and you will be relegated, give him mid table players and you will be mid table. If he’s really lucky, at best he can become an Ancellotti, but then Ancellotti’s biggest strength is his ability to act as a confidante. EtH sounds arrogant and not someone I’d want a beer with.
Completely disagree with both of your assertions. ETH is already getting better performances out of these players. Dalot, for instance, and Shaw.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
None of this post makes feck all sense. In fact, you've scared the kids and given the dog a headache.

Wing Attack Plan R

Agree with the person on here who wondered what's going on with Sancho. He tears it up in the Bundesliga and then in the prem he looks like a poor man's Aaron Lennon. Once or twice today he plucked up his courage and ran at his man, and created something. Defensively he looks uninterested.

redcucumber

:houllier:

vanrooney

was an ok performance against one of the best def in the league. should have had a pen and would have won. eth is doing well

Josh 76

Brilliant ! Haha

Heinzesight

him and benched Ronaldo.
Yep.

justsomebloke

him and benched Ronaldo.
Yep, this.

Lentwood

As usual, since the restrictions on new members were lifted, I don't think the volume of whingeing and stupid comments on here reflects the general feeling at the stadium or around Manchester. It's a shame that you used to be able to have insightful and interesting conversations on here and now it's just morons crying about every little thing.

I came away from the game with tonnes of positives. Sure, it would have been nice to get the (deserved) win, but we didn't take our chances...so what? We knew this season was going to be one of transition.

The GK needs to be replaced, his distribution is Sunday League level, we know that, ETH knows that.

The CF needs to be replaced. It's ridiculous to believe a 38yo can start and lead the line week-in, week out for a Premier League side. We know that, ETH knows that.

Fred is abject, dire, terrible, rank, vile, crap, rubbish, turd, garbage, trash, useless, no-good, poor...but we had no other options today. We know that, ETH knows that.

Dalot is a fair-to-average RB who doesn't offer much on the overlap...we know that, ETH knows that.

Sancho and Rashford both needs lots of work and conditioning on the training ground to get them playing at the right tempo and with the right aggression...I saw positives in that respect today (and recently). ETH knows this and will fix it...or they will leave.

Point is, just because we know something and ETH knows something is moot. We could never address all of our issues in one window. We're not a Sugar Daddy Oil Cheat team AND even if we can/do spend £1BN across 2/3 windows, there'd still need to be a period of adjustment whilst the players got to grips with new teammates, a new style and a new strategy.

It's pointless moaning and gnashing your teeth about stuff we all know and recognise! Try having a bit of patience and looking at it for what it is.

Today we restricted Newcastle to scraps and looked very solid. We created the best chances. We controlled territory, for the most part. We showed real aggression and fight. It was great to see Casemiro storming into tackles, Anthony shoulder-charging full-backs and Martinez generally be a 'b**tard. It's about time we lost that 'soft-touch' feel and I can see signs that is changing rapidly.

Yes, we lack that little bit of quality...that's actually the easiest thing to fix. I'm pleased we're finally seem some fight, some standards, players connecting with the fans, some aggression and a clear, modern style of football

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle