PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 October 2022

ElBarto

Vexed that we didn't win in spite of not many clear cut chances- this was the sentiment of the crowd, frustrated but borne out of positivity, not as though we were holding on.

First half they played on the counter second half they studied Omonia and parked the bus.

Ref was a scouse youknowwhat but I've never seen this level of gamesmanship by a team since Atletico.

Wish we had a bit of tactical flexibility like, bruh swap Antony/Sancho round, give them something else to think about. Some subs would have been nice too, throw on a Garnacho/Iqbal TRY something different.

Might get ripped for this but VDBeek would have been perfect for this game, camped in their half some movement would have been nice.

Fred was diabolical, counted 12 Fredisms. Progress? Yes, it's clear what ETH is trying to implement it will take time. Chill.

Reactions: Cheimoon

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm not convinced as some that the signs of progress are so clear just yet (apart from a bit of an improvement in ability of players. Casemiro and Martinez > Maguire and McT. Antony > Elanga). Until two late chances against what was clearly a tired side, we didn't create anything of note for 80 minutes. The same problems still persist for me, lack of a clear understanding between our attackers, our ideas run dry pretty quickly in attack, lack of movement in the final third. All of this makes us too easy to defend against by a team that can competently defend.

Newcastle seemed more than happy to surrender possession to us today and try to hit on the break. More and more sides know that if they sit in deep then we are easily frustrated. Then once we are in that frustrated mindset, we are there to be punished.

Newcastle for me were lacking in quality in attack today, and I think if they had Izak and ASM then we could have seen a different story today. Their LW (not sure his name) squandered some glorious chances on the counter with poor decisions and execution. The amount of times he was isolated Vs Dalot had me glad that ASM wasn't available and in those positions.

The only positive I'd give today is that anything we did need to defend, we did well. Solid from both CBs.

moodyred

Clean sheet!

We controlled the game. You can see how the team was setup to play. There is a game plan and a purpose. Shame we didn't win it.

I agree with most posters that Fred was poor.

bosskeano

i thought this was one of the better performances we've had all season against a team coming in with a ton of confidence and a team that really likes to high press.... there is a ton of difference between this group in the style of play then what we've seen since basically Moyes took over United

Theonas

Scout
We had many uninspiring 0-0s over the past few years where we'd been outplayed through the middle, with De Gea making a couple of crucial saves and we manage to scrabble a couple of chances towards the end to flat frustration from the fans. This wasn't one of them, only City and arguably Arsenal bossed us in the middle since Brenford. We do look like the pro active team in games consistently now which I really can't remember the last time you could say that about us. That's exactly how City and Liverpool started, they were dominating games and looking the imposing team but with various deficiencies like a bad keeper, leaky defense or toothless strikers. It took City much quicker to fix theirs and they started from a higher point than us now but if Ten Hag continues in this path, our progress should be quicker than Liverpool's considering our vastly financial resources.

Doracle

Only seen the highlights but, given we were without Eriksen, Martial and Rashford (as a starter), doesn’t look a bad display, as I expected us to struggle to create chances. Such a shame we didn’t put away one of the really good chances at the end.

DSG

We`re seeing shades of LvG here.
Receive the ball, watch a teammate run into space, ignore that teammate, pass it calmly 10meters to the teammate closest to you and standing still. That player does the same as well. Then hopefully we can walk the ball past the keeper.

We have played some decent football lately however so i`m not to pissed. Frustrating but still somewhat entertaining.
We've not won 1 game convincingly is my point. And Southampton, Leicester and Everton are amongst the worst teams in the league. You need to be performing at a higher level to put winning runs together, you can't expect to pick up the points tally needed by playing poorly.

Our goal was top 4 and we're severely lagging behind already. With the amount spent in the summer it's a real disappointment if we're not even competitive for 4th.
The frustrating thing was that newcastle team wasn’t that good on paper and even weren’t wow in their play. Agreed that they worked hard as a unit and hustled together. We should’ve well beaten this team. Our attackers need extra hours on shooting. Ref was bent and definitely needs looking into. Shocking ref and I don’t understand how that Sancho tackle wasn’t referred to the ref to go to the monitor
This is why the Caf really has no clue in general.

‘Please, please, please, if you can’t watch other matches in the PL, say it so we can all know that you are coming from a position of ignorance.

‘Eddie Howe has made a huge difference in this Newcastle side. They are disciplined, high energy, and talented. A few weeks ago, Newcastle gave City absolutely everything they could handle, and City was lucky to walk away with a draw. We were lucky there was no Isak and St.Maximin. Botman, Guimares, Trippier are making this into a dangerous side even without their top attackers available.

I was very encouraged the way we broke the high press even without Eriksen. Our control of the game was outstanding. We are never going to play mistake free football fellas.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Watched the highlights. Like what I saw but the result is bullshit.

DSG

Bruno has looked like an absolute novice for a while. Stop the fanboying.

Hope that helps.
Kind of a toolish comment. Bruno wasn’t an issue today. He’s nowhere near his top form, and his shooting has let us down, but he’s miles ahead of all the other options in the side, bar Eriksen. Seriously, asking Iqbal to play against the likes of Joelinton, Guimares and Almiron wouldn’t help him nor us.

croadyman

Shite weekend of results for us and how the feck does Rashford not score in 95 min

DSG

Agree with you. We didn’t play too badly but obviously not well enough to win. ETH is generally getting the wins but we are so clearly in a process. Fighting for 4th sounds right.

Forwards

Antony may have cost 100m but he blatantly is not the finished article and needs to acquire some measure of right foot crossing to make himself truly dangerous.
Sancho has very little chemistry with Shaw, the number of overlaps by Shaw where Sancho becomes more threatening was virtually non existent.
Ronaldo had no cause for complaint when he was subbed.
Rashford, I root for him but man he is not a CF. Just not clinical enough.

Mids
Casemiro clearly is overwhelmed at times by the speed of the PL. Hope he continues to adjust.
Fred forget it. Like many said he needs to go. Just not United material. He is dogged but just doesn’t have the physicality, speed or technical ability to make it here.
Bruno was underwhelming and inconsistent.

Def
Varane and Martinez solid starters.
Shaw wasn’t bad but he is what he is at this point in his career and won’t make be an offensive force.
Dalot is just a stop gap this year everyone can see we need a new RB.
I am blown away by this negativity. I seriously question your understanding of football mate.

Antony was causing massive problems for Newcastle. He was electric, and his greatest issue was deferring to Ronaldo (as the entire side does). If any of us were on the pitch with Messi or Ronaldo, we’d all feel the same. It’s our biggest issue from an attacking sense, but I thought Antony played really well.

Agree that Ronaldo doesn’t fit this side. Rashford has been misfiring, but creates a lot of problems for the opposing defenders, if you can’t see that, I have no help for you. Blame Fred, not Marcus…

‘Casemiro hardly put a foot wrong today. His one touch passing is sorely needed (which wasall over the pitch, were you even watching???). He’s absolute nails, goes to ground at the right time and his cross in to Rashford was sublime.

Shaw and Dalot are pinching in as an extra midfielder in the final third as Ten Hag wants his best one v one players (Sancho and Antony) creating on the wing. They are ball movers in this system and they are playing their role very well.

Seriously, the expectations of our fan base are way out of line with reality. We are WELL AHEAD of where we were 6 months ago. Well done Ten Hag!

ggg333

I agree with everything and everything else is spot on, except i think the expectation on Rashford has to change. He isn't anymore the upcoming 18 year old. Rashford is one of the issue but not the main issue, but could become one really quick. A real striker puts that last minute opportunity, between the posts not wide. Ronaldo definitely doesn't fit our side. As much as I like Ronaldo, the reason that pulled me in to being a Manutd fans was the man himself SAF, and the never give up attitude which adds to what SAF built which is fight till the last whistle and play for the badge and leave every ounce of energy on the pitch. I don't see any of that with Rashford. I know this is not SAF era and I will be looked at as one of those old fan's but my club stands for hardwork and giving everything when you are on the pitch. I don't see it with Rashford. I could say the exact same thing with Sancho but he costs us almost 80M, but rashford close to none, but that doesn't mean I will settle for that.

It put smiles on my face and a lot of my friends when we saw SAF on the pitch, and I will not be ashamed to say Iam big ManUtd fan and that's because of SAF. And we all wanted to see this great club have players who put themself on the line of fire and not walk around. This is no means against you, but my opinion on what I have read about Rashford. He could be an impact sub, but he can't be the main player for us. I really really wanted to see Garnacho instead of him today to see what he offers but I will have to wait.

About the Match itself, this is what I feel.

1. The Ref was absolutely abismal. Clean penalty not awarded. He cost us the game than our own players and I felt that we were playing against 13 men with Ronaldo being considered as not fit for us anymore.
2. The goal from Ronaldo should have been allowed.
3. We were way way better than how we were rolled over last year. The same game we concede for sure in my opinion.
4. We felt comfortable the entire game except that 2 double headers saved by the post!
5. We need a striker who is fit. Even the "wilson" if he played for us would have scored.
6. We need a upgrade on the RB.
7. A center mid who can control the game
8. A center back who can compete and learn from Varane.
9. Fred/McT/Dalot/Ronaldo should be replaced
10. It may sound harsh and stupid but think even Bruno has to be upgraded.

Sorry if i sounded rude, this is just my take. I have to quote you because of not what you have said, but I have seen similar comments from a lot of others.

croadyman

Didn't play too badly but there's not enough reliable goalscorers in this team as it stands. Ronaldo is a bust, Bruno can't shoot, Rashford was unlucky

Very frustrating final 20 as we were basically building a small colony in their half
Yeah the lack of reliable goalscorers has definitely cost us already

Esquire

I am blown away by this negativity. I seriously question your understanding of football mate.

Antony was causing massive problems for Newcastle. He was electric, and his greatest issue was deferring to Ronaldo (as the entire side does). If any of us were on the pitch with Messi or Ronaldo, we’d all feel the same. It’s our biggest issue from an attacking sense, but I thought Antony played really well.

Agree that Ronaldo doesn’t fit this side. Rashford has been misfiring, but creates a lot of problems for the opposing defenders, if you can’t see that, I have no help for you. Blame Fred, not Marcus…

‘Casemiro hardly put a foot wrong today. His one touch passing is sorely needed (which wasall over the pitch, were you even watching???). He’s absolute nails, goes to ground at the right time and his cross in to Rashford was sublime.

Shaw and Dalot are pinching in as an extra midfielder in the final third as Ten Hag wants his best one v one players (Sancho and Antony) creating on the wing. They are ball movers in this system and they are playing their role very well.

Seriously, the expectations of our fan base are way out of line with reality. We are WELL AHEAD of where we were 6 months ago. Well done Ten Hag!
It’s really not negativity b/c if we make top 4, I’m happy. B/c we are not in any way fighting for 1st or 2nd. Don’t agree with you that Casemiro hardly put a foot wrong. As I said I saw him having a bit of trouble with the speed of the game but he was one of the better players.

Antony certainly has potential but it is very clear that once in a while he should cross with his right foot and not just cut back every time. Even ETH says he needs to add more to his game.

Seriously, just because others have a different interpretation of the game and performances doesn’t mean they know football less than you. And I don’t think I have said we are not making progress. We are but we are definitely fighting for 4th this year and I see nothing wrong with that in the scheme of the overall project.

croadyman

i thought this was one of the better performances we've had all season against a team coming in with a ton of confidence and a team that really likes to high press.... there is a ton of difference between this group in the style of play then what we've seen since basically Moyes took over United
We still have to find a way to get win,especially with that electric start from Arsenal and Spurs going about business quietly

Tarrou

I thought we played alright, probably deserved the win on the balance of play

clearly lots of issues still to iron out particularly with our forward play

but I like how quickly ETH has got us passing and moving and the mental approach seems much stronger.. I feel like the ship is slowly turning

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It's not about a posters' inability to write a detailed tactical analysis of our games or even write stylishly or eloquently...who cares about any of that...I suspect most of us type out posts on our phones whilst watching TV/on the bog etc...so they're never going to be works of great literature.

What I have an issue with, and am really sick of, is the constant whingeing and 'boom or bust'-style posts.

At least if you are going to moan (not saying 'you' but posters in general), try to be consistent, try to balance that with saying something positive when it's deserved and try to write something that might at least be interesting to another poster.

There's a majority of people on here who I guarantee will have posted 75%+ negative posts
Being optimistic is a trait, not a Caf-requirement.

I'm generally optimistic, but I certainly don't blame someone who has been negative 75% of the time. Our once successful club, our beloved club, is in the fecking mud.

Oh, and labeling the influx of newbs as the problem comes across as you having an agenda.

Last edited:

TheLord

Looking closely at the state of our play for the past several years, we won't get far without actually "winning" in the transfer market.

How many first choice young players have we been able to buy since SAF? Sancho and Pogba immediately come to mind, and unfortunately both flopped, but those two aside, we have mostly gone for ageing stars or second rate youngsters.

Our primary focus needs to be on the winter transfer window and then the summer transfer window to actually start challenging City and Pool. Don't buy just for the sake of buying. Don't throw money around just to appease the fanbase. Target two players and just get them.

NICanRed

Generally we are showing signs of improvement. Our defence is tighter. Midfield is better with Cas and Erik. Wings need an injection of confidence and we definitely need a striker.
Every time I see Fred on the team-sheet I hope it is Fred the Red just for an improvement.
Considering that Newcastle are next to us in the table a draw seems about right however we could have and should have won that.

Lentwood

Being optimistic is a trait, not a Caf-requirement.

I'm generally optimistic, but I certainly don't blame someone who has been negative 75% of the time. Our once successful club, our beloved club, is in the fecking mud.

Oh, and labeling the influx of newbs as the problem comes across as you having an agenda.
We had the old '10 likes' rule for a reason. It was to ensure that posters were willing and able to contribute a certain standard of post.

The issue for me is this forum turns into the 'comments' section on a social media post after a draw/defeat. It's just pages and pages of one or two line comments moaning and whingeing

The problem with that is, all the actual discussion, analysis and reasoned conversation gets buried

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
We had the old '10 likes' rule for a reason. It was to ensure that posters were willing and able to contribute a certain standard of post.

The issue for me is this forum turns into the 'comments' section on a social media post after a draw/defeat. It's just pages and pages of one or two line comments moaning and whingeing

The problem with that is, all the actual discussion, analysis and reasoned conversation gets buried
The bolded bit is true, but to blame it on the newbs is an assumption that might or might not hold water. Come to me with a peer reviewed study and I'd believe it.

Smudgers

We were poor in parts but , thank f$%# we didn’t get Eddie Howe as manager I couldn’t watch that every week , time wasting lying on the floor holding their heads , cramp , taking an age to take free kicks goal kicks throw ins , while all that was going on they were taking drinks breaks , they sucked the life out of the game stopping us getting any rhythm or foothold in the game , very much like Bournemouth were under him

Andre Kagawa

What a shite day it turned out to be with Pool winning as well. We really needed those three points with Spurs and Chelsea coming up. Can't check at the moment but I sincerely hope we don't play them both away? If Eriksen isn't back we are absolutely toast.

I really wish it wasn't so but I honestly despise seeing Ronaldo (and to a lesser extent Bruno) playing at the moment.

With that said, there were some positives to take away too. We looked defensively solid. Varane and Martinez will and should remain our main CB partnership. Shaw seems to have upped his performances somewhat, maybe due to some actual competition. Dalot is Dalot, I don't know what to say about him really. He's not terrible, he's just a wild card. Casemiro helps us keep our shape in a way McT never could, which I think will be huge.

Last edited:

Real Name

Today we had thin squad and we haven't brought a single kid on, LVG actually made us think Blackett and McNair were gonna make it.
Yesterday wasnt a type of a game where you brought on a kid. Tight game against a good opponent, what would be the purpose. Imagine if that kid would make a mistake leading to their goal, the carnage would be the worst, what good would that do to the kid.

MileStolar

Yesterday wasnt a type of a game where you brought on a kid. Tight game against a good opponent, what would be the purpose. Imagine if that kid would make a mistake leading to their goal, the carnage would be the worst, what good would that do to the kid.
I agree that it is very risky. On the other hand we barely have a choice. You have Dalot playing full games 2 times a week, Bruno, Martinez as well. Our squad is crazy thin at the moment because of all these injuries and suspensions. Sooner or later ETH might get forced to play the youth when fatigue starts sidelining our core.

Real Name

I agree that it is very risky. On the other hand we barely have a choice. You have Dalot playing full games 2 times a week, Bruno, Martinez as well. Our squad is crazy thin at the moment because of all these injuries and suspensions. Sooner or later ETH might get forced to play the youth when fatigue starts sidelining our core.
Actually there are no a lot of injuries or suspensions at the moment. As for thin squad, in some positions yes. I agree for instance Dalot needs a rest and Martinez too but for Dalot there's AWB for cover (is he even fit) and for Martinez Maguire. Hardly ideal but yeah, they need rest nevertheless.
For instance I think ETH should give Iqbal a shot, its just I dont think yesterday game was ideal for him or any kid whatsoever. On the contrary.

MileStolar

Actually there are no a lot of injuries or suspensions at the moment. As for thin squad, in some positions yes. I agree for instance Dalot needs a rest and Martinez too but for Dalot there's AWB for cover (is he even fit) and for Martinez Maguire. Hardly ideal but yeah, they need rest nevertheless.
For instance I think ETH should give Iqbal a shot, its just I dont think yesterday game was ideal for him or any kid whatsoever. On the contrary.
I don't think we should play youngsters just for the sake of it, but our bench yesterday only had 3 senior outfield players. I yield, yesterday's game wasn't one to bed our youth in. I'm worried though that in next few games we may be forced to do so.

Real Name

I don't think we should play youngsters just for the sake of it, but our bench yesterday only had 3 senior outfield players. I yield, yesterday's game wasn't one to bed our youth in. I'm worried though that in next few games we may be forced to do so.
Yes. Maybe Iqbal or Garnacho.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Was sad last night, now I'm back being optimistic. If Rashford scored that, we are on cloud nine. Shit happens, move on. Just wish RVP was on the end of that header, he scores twice.
Anyway..
We lost against City,
Liverpool won City,
We won Liverpool.
We gonna win the leagueee.

Now, off to work to hear some jokes from colleagues, oh wait, they are Barca fans...

Parma Dewol

The Fred and Rashford misses is haunting me.
Tell me about it. Especially Rashford's header, he really had to score, or at the very least hit the target. Only just seen the replay and can't believe it, he was so close to goal! Got to bury it from there.

Would have been such a great momentum booster getting a last-minute winner like that, and we'd have deserved it having been camped in their half for the latter stages.

Ugh, so frustrating!

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The Fred and Rashford misses is haunting me.

Everytime I'm reminded of them it just puts me in an awful mood.
I’ve only seen the replay a couple of times but I think the Fred miss is 50% Rashford’s fault too. Any player with decent passing ability passes that ball quickly and accurately towards Fred, and it reaches him way before the defender slides in which is what puts Fred off. Unfortunately Rashford doesn’t really do appropriately weighted passes, it’s outside of his skill set.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ten Hag is playing it cool but I think he needs to call out the refs and VAR. It worked when Klopp did it.

LordSpud

I'm not convinced as some that the signs of progress are so clear just yet (apart from a bit of an improvement in ability of players. Casemiro and Martinez > Maguire and McT. Antony > Elanga).
This is exactly how I feel. We've merely upgraded some of the dross. The reason we are having more possession is due to Casemiro being in there and actually having a clue about his DM role.

I dont really see a lot of difference between what we are doing at the moment and the end of Ole's reign/Rangnick apart from the fact we now have a pacier partnership in defence and a decent DM. Oh and an actual RW. For me improvement would be banging in some of these clear cut chances that they've been having - and have had for years. We've had the talk many times over the past few seasons about how Rashford, Martial, Fred et al couldn't hit a barn door.

I honestly think if Ole had had Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony it wouldn't have been much different.

GueRed

People who expected us to all of a sudden create 100 chances against an in-form resolute Premier League team like we did against Cyprus' fourth best team were probably the most upset..

Yesterday imo just highlighted how important a player like Eriksen is to ten Hag's midfield and how much we need a top centre-forward.

Also what is the point of VAR? Newcastle could've got a pen when Varane missed a tackle and Sancho definitely should've got one when he got clipped?

I still don't see enough leaders on the pitch at the moment..

Defending as a team, without the ball work has vastly improved at least.
From front to back ten Hag has got the players putting a shift in, working hard for each other most of the time...
I'm happy with the clean sheet.

Tottenham next. Need a big performance and the three points. Hopefully the crowd will be up for it too...

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Still laughing at the referee performance. He's on video laughing and winking at the Stretford End as he's leaving the pitch at fulltime. Dodgy.

GregM40

For all the terrible reffing decisions and Newcastle’s horrendous time wasting, we were generally poor going forward. Ronaldo could barely make a pass in the first half alongside Fred (although he was much better second half). Two great chances to win it at the end, gutted to leave OT thinking a wasted opportunity for points.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
One thing I noticed late in the second half. United players looked really fit and were able to keep the ball in the Newcastle half for long periods of pressure. We've not seen this from United for many years. Under Ole, when we had a lot of possession it was padded by being mainly in our own half.

Newcastle made 5 subs in the end and looked like they were tired and hanging on. Another ten minutes and I think we win the game.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 226 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Newcastle
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle