PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 27 October 2019

Okey

Called it...nearly! Just the one goal out. What was all that about goals and away wins? Ha! Anyway, good result, hopefully back it up at Bournemouth. I thought we visibly eased off, almost in sympathy at Norwich's injuries. Shame they suddenly fancied a late surge. We need to be more ruthless. Could have run up a cricket score in this game. Feck Tim Krul!

fergie_god

One of the main takeaways from the game for me was that our attack is much better when we can play more compact with a higher line. Pukki being one of the few strikers in the league slower than Lindelof/Maguire made this game tactically easier than most teams. Obviously signing some new attackers will definitely help but I can't help but wonder if we eventually will have to sign a faster CB.

Okey

Also, one of the most incompetent officiating team I've seen recently. All the way down to whoever was manning VAR. Such a useful tool, being deployed so poorly and threatening the fun of the game. They actually checked for a foul after the offside flag had correctly gone up! Sigh.. .

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What a performance by Krul. The two best performances of his career, both against United.

diarm

What sort of votes are people giving Ashley Young for him to have a 4.9 for today?

I can only imagine it's opposition fans giving him nines and tens to bring his score up that high?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Luckhurst is such a cock and showing his agenda. Rashford, a forward is frustrated at not receiving a pass when he makes a forward run and puts it down to “entitlement”.

Third rate journalist, probably bitter he’ll never be offered a job with The Athletic like the adult journalists.

koop

Martial defensively jogs more than an unmotivated Pogba.
AWB best RB in the prem.
McTominay holding my word he will be one of our best in the future.
Fred is our Jones of the midfield, everytime he gets the ball I'm scared cause he can't even make a single pass.
Overall should of been minimum 5-6 goals but good effort

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Our best performance of the season for me. It's still a little disappointing how we slacken off towards the end of games but obviously it's more understandable at 3-0 than at 1-0 or even 0-0.

We looked played how I hoped we'd play from the beginning of the season, hopefully it continues and we can get ourselves back in the race for fourth. The penalty misses were a pain in the arse but at least we didn't come to regret them.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Agreed. Plus import Williams for Young....
Yup, that one too. How did i miss it? Oh well, i guess there's too many of them still stinking the place. Perhaps that's how Young has survived all this time at this club, they keep forgetting about him.

Regarding the game... i agree that it was our best performance. We were afforded lots of space and time on the ball than one could have hoped for but there was a lot of positive energy too. And although the spotlight will be on Martial, i believe it was McT's performance that made the crucial difference tonight.

Let'a get some points in the bag, calm down and see if we can bring anyone in when the January window opens.

Withnail

Luckhurst is such a cock and showing his agenda. Rashford, a forward is frustrated at not receiving a pass when he makes a forward run and puts it down to “entitlement”.

Third rate journalist, probably bitter he’ll never be offered a job with The Athletic like the adult journalists.
I saw that on Twitter. What a clown

If Rashford didn't make a fuss he'd probably say he didn't have what it takes to make it. No desire blah blah

littleman

Great win. We need to build on this momentum.

The whole Martial thing is ridiculous. If you look at our past, this sort of hero-building-while-they're-away has been done again and again and again. Herrera, Pogba and even Michael fking Carrick.

Just play better, entertain us and win

Dante

Average bang
Swap Pogba for Pereira and Fred for somebody like Doucore (ie. good but not even necessarily world class), and this team is comfortably top 4.

Gasolin

One of the main takeaways from the game for me was that our attack is much better when we can play more compact with a higher line. Pukki being one of the few strikers in the league slower than Lindelof/Maguire made this game tactically easier than most teams. Obviously signing some new attackers will definitely help but I can't help but wonder if we eventually will have to sign a faster CB.
That CB would be Axel in my opinion. Maguire / Axel to cover the back.

United Hobbit

YouTube - sky sports puts 3 minutes of highlights on minutes after the game
Thank you for that, didn't know they did that will be useful, nice quality footage as well

Our penalties weren't great, Rashy doesn't usually do that silly run up does he? Thought that was more a Pogba thing. Martial's was slightly better good save though

What a pass by James for our 2nd goal, like how he looked up and saw Rashy haven't people been criticising him for not looking up enough? Good finish as well

Our 3rd was beautiful

Disappointing we couldn't keep our clean sheet through sloppiness it wouldn't have been so bad if it was them scoring a world class goal

How did Garner do?

Unless they get injured at this rate our player of the season is between James and McT unless someone really pulls their finger out in the mean time. Maybe AWB too.

Mihai

If only we had a brilliant young prospect like Tuanzebe.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Can see what Ole is trying to create with the front 3. Fast attacking football. He’s been unlucky with his injuries. I think a couple of decent midfielders and a class striker and we won’t be too far away. The next two windows will be really interesting.

TheGame

These posts make no sense. A single result against Norwich is not going change people's opinions on a diabolical period. There needs to be a lot more improvement before we can say that a corner has been turned.

It was a good performance, but remember that we played terribly against Partizan just last Thursday. It is a positive performance, but a lot more is needed.
No one is any doubt that a lot more is needed but some people here have got really personal with the hate and it’s pathetic.

TheGame

Not a "hater" as believing he's been rubbish is only logical. But he and the team did well today. Kudos to the manager and players. Need to produce tgus regularly and further improve.

Suprised you didn't go after the squad "haters"? The poor hand squad surely deserves some credit too?
The remark was just aimed at the people who keep up with their insults at the manager. Squad did great tonight. Hopefully onwards and upwards.

Alabaster Codify7

That's how we're supposed to perform against relegation material. Fortunately for us, Norwich are one of the few relegation zone sides that try to play expansive, attacking football which plays into our hands. We could have been 4-0 at half-time which would have been crazy! The first penalty was horrific though, not a penalty in a million years as far as I'm concerned so almost justified that Rashford fluffed his lines again from the spot. Our penalty takers are just so unreliable, none of our options are particularly good there.

In general though we were dominant and get a much-needed win. Shame we gifted them a consolation goal but hey ho. Onto the next one, another that could either be tricky or a comfortable win depending how Eddie Howe approaches it.

Irwin99

I only saw 25 mins of the first half so can’t comment on the performance as a whole but we looked the best we’ve been all season. Mctom impressive.

Just seen the replay of Martials goal. Wow!

Shimo

Can't remember when I've seen us play the ball as quick and crisp as that in the first half. If that is something we've been working on all this time, can't understand why we've not seen it more often but, not complaining if we can build on that.

I had good feeling about this game and getting a performance but, that is because I thought Norwich would have a go. They sat back and that we were able to create chances despite that, which is even more pleasing. Excellent, ball movement, interplay, movement and helped having McTomminay bossing midfield like that.

I'll even take giving up the chances we did for at least trying to be more proactive. Only concern I have is the CBs when we are playing more aggressive going forward, seems like they get so scared and back off when other team gets running at them on a break and get put on their asses. They are going to end up in more situations like that and have to defend those better.

Perreira was very good, he did a lot of the pressing which am not sure Pogba would have given us, so it's going to be a delicate balance when Pogba comes back and maybe takes that position

Onwards and upwards.

GenZRed

Great that managed to get a win and even score more than one goal.

Martial should be first name on the teamsheet when he is fit. We need to start making the most out of his undoubted potential.

aamnkeane16

Called both the scoreline and the starting lineup 11/11.

Might be tempted to put some wager in the next game!

Result was never in doubt, but could’ve finished with double digit goals today.

Onward and upward!

Gasolin

Can't remember when I've seen us play the ball as quick and crisp as that in the first half. If that is something we've been working on all this time, can't understand why we've not seen it more often but, not complaining if we can build on that.

I had good feeling about this game and getting a performance but, that is because I thought Norwich would have a go. They sat back and that we were able to create chances despite that, which is even more pleasing. Excellent, ball movement, interplay, movement and helped having McTomminay bossing midfield like that.

I'll even take giving up the chances we did for at least trying to be more proactive. Only concern I have is the CBs when we are playing more aggressive going forward, seems like they get so scared and back off when other team gets running at them on a break and get put on their asses. They are going to end up in more situations like that and have to defend those better.

Perreira was very good, he did a lot of the pressing which am not sure Pogba would have given us, so it's going to be a delicate balance when Pogba comes back and maybe takes that position

Onwards and upwards.
I think you should remember that one of our big problems was that we could not break teams that were playing deep. And again, hindsight is always 20, this Norwich side beat City, so we should be happy the same thing didn't happen to us. So now if we can score against teams playing deep, that's a progress because it's going to bring us points. And for big games, we can always go back to play defensive, no harm in that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Unbelievable tweet!

Striker in frustration at not getting the ball shocker!

Shimo

I think you should remember that one of our big problems was that we could not break teams that were playing deep. And again, hindsight is always 20, this Norwich side beat City, so we should be happy the same thing didn't happen to us. So now if we can score against teams playing deep, that's a progress because it's going to bring us points. And for big games, we can always go back to play defensive, no harm in that.
Yes, that is why it was even more pleasing of a first half performance. I thought we'd get at them because they were going to attack, playing into our biggest strength of counter-attacking but, today we were able to break down a team that tried to sit back on us.

Shimo

Absolutely should be entitled. Ole said Rashford has been making runs and we are just not attempting some of the passes, must be something they've been working on in training, so not get them in game has to be frustrating.

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 48% of 570 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 393 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw