g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 December 2021

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
If your front 4 are giving the ball away every 10 seconds, how on earth could we have the game under control? Every time Bruno, Sancho, Ronaldo and Rashford lose the ball is another potential counter attack for Norwich, another transition for Norwich that we have to defend against, another chance for them to play the long ball over the top of our defence to chase, another chance to get the ball forward where they can win free kicks around our box, and win corners that put us under pressure.

Fred and Mctominay are not superhuman that they can win the ball back within seconds every time our front 4 lose the ball. They lose the ball so often it's literally impossible for us not to be under pressure at points in the game.
Agreed. My understanding of this system is that there is the same onus on the front 4 to pressurise and win back possession as there is on Fred and McTom. I was happy enough with Sancho. What did the other 3 bring to that particular table? Unbelievable stats regarding possession lost. From McFred back, performances were pretty decent. Those 2 in particular were excellent.

justsomebloke

If your front 4 are giving the ball away every 10 seconds, how on earth could we have the game under control? Every time Bruno, Sancho, Ronaldo and Rashford lose the ball is another potential counter attack for Norwich, another transition for Norwich that we have to defend against, another chance for them to play the long ball over the top of our defence to chase, another chance to get the ball forward where they can win free kicks around our box, and win corners that put us under pressure.

Fred and Mctominay are not superhuman that they can win the ball back within seconds every time our front 4 lose the ball. They lose the ball so often it's literally impossible for us not to be under pressure at points in the game.
Well, that's how they're supposed to play - quick transition, direct forward passing. Finish within ten seconds, remember. They're not supposed to prioritise holding onto the ball. They're just not able to execute that style very well yet.

This is transition to Rangnick-land, people. Give it time. It's not been too shabby so far, considering the starting point, but it's not nearly there yet. We still have a lot of ground to cover before we start seeing performances as good as the good ones under Ole. There were quite a few of those, after all. But that path fizzled out and now there's a new one.

Sviken

Well, that's how they're supposed to play - quick transition, direct forward passing. Finish within ten seconds, remember. They're not supposed to prioritise holding onto the ball. They're just not able to execute that style very well yet.
I think that style is not sustainable for a top team. Every top team values possession and control of the game most, even Klopp who is the epitome of gegenpressing in football. We won't go far with the 8 seconds rule or whatever it is called. We need to be smart, open up play, open teams up. Of course, we need to have high tempo, but there's a difference between high tempo, short passing and gifting the ball away with sloppy passes to no-man's land

SAF is the GOAT

I really don't know what Sacha Lense took from the Norwich game - the fact that we played so poor all game or that we won despite the fact we were so bad

He needs to be proactive because 3 of our front 4 don't look good at all at the moment

Cantonagotmehere

Have to say Fred and McT were very good and the back 4 were too.

The front 4 were very poor, maybe Sancho was OK.

So happy to win though. It's been tough on all teams lately it seems.

Bruno could use a, I wish we saw VDB minute 60 for him.

Eddy_JukeZ

Pretty poor performance.

But a good win in the end.

The amount of carelessness from the front 4 was very frustrating to watch.

justsomebloke

I think that style is not sustainable for a top team. Every top team values possession and control of the game most, even Klopp who is the epitome of gegenpressing in football. We won't go far with the 8 seconds rule or whatever it is called. We need to be smart, open up play, open teams up. Of course, we need to have high tempo, but there's a difference between high tempo, short passing and gifting the ball away with sloppy passes to no-man's land
Well then, in that case Rangnick's not the manager for you. Because that's how he wants to play.

But of course, it's surely the intention that it should work better than this. It'll take some time to get into, I suppose.

MrBest

Not a great performance but who cares right now. RR has been here a week, these playwrs mentalities are a shambles, it's going to take a few months to change that. We have a good run of fixtures coming up, this is a perfect time to make sure we get maximum points, as many clean sheets and build control.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
It’s not bad being a work in progress but winning. De gea back to his best. Rashford was abysmal.

Sviken

Well then, in that case Rangnick's not the manager for you. Because that's how he wants to play.
Rangnick is here only for a few months. Even in the most ambitious of aims, he'll only lay the groundwork. All I'm saying is that for United to become a top team again, it needs to play like other top teams. That means, in Rangnick's own words, having control over the game.

The team is not consistently applying Rangnick's style yet but you can at least see what the manager is trying to achieve. Need to see Varane back before making further judgements.
In the beginning I wondered if the lack of pressing was Rangnick adapting to the players lack of fitness and heavy schedule over the next few weeks to prevent getting tired early on or injuries etc

justsomebloke

It’s not bad being a work in progress but winning. De gea back to his best. Rashford was abysmal.
Far too much negativity on Rashford here, in my opinion. He was a constant threat in the second half. Not a great game perhaps, but to call it abysmal is absurd.

Godfather

We don't have a single forward who is in really good form apart from maybe Greenwood. Hope this changes quickly the next couple of weeks or this will drag on

TheReligion

Abusive

This is transition to Rangnick-land, people. Give it time. It's not been too shabby so far, considering the starting point, but it's not nearly there yet. We still have a lot of ground to cover before we start seeing performances as good as the good ones under Ole. There were quite a few of those, after all. But that path fizzled out and now there's a new one.
Quick transition doesn't mean giving the ball away repeatedly. That was the issue today and that's why we looked poor.

The forwards were all misfiring and literally everything we did in the final third failed to come off. Everyone else was fine.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You can see the foundations are starting to be laid for a new style. I thought there were a lot of early positives to be drawn from the transition. The Center midfield pairing were outstanding. As were the CBS and goalkeeper. I thought Sancho was quietly busy and kept things moving nicely.

Rashford had an underrated game. As usual he suffered dreadful abuse in here, but he was our most dangerous player, if a little off colour.

I thought Ronaldo and Bruno were very poor. Personally, I think our most effective front four may well be Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Cavani. But we’ll see what Ragnick thinks when everyone is fit and he’s had time to work with the team.

The Irish Connection

Poor. Fred was our best outfield player. And fair play to De Gea, he’s playing well, hope he keeps it up and doesn’t go back to where he was the two seasons before this.
We will have to play a lot better against Brentford.
Another clean sheet is positive.

SAF is the GOAT

You can see the foundations are starting to be laid for a new style. I thought there were a lot of early positives to be drawn from the transition. The Center midfield pairing were outstanding. As were the CBS and goalkeeper. I thought Sancho was quietly busy and kept things moving nicely.

Rashford had an underrated game. As usual he suffered dreadful abuse in here, but he was our most dangerous player, if a little off colour.

I thought Ronaldo and Bruno were very poor. Personally, I think our most effective front four may well be Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood and Cavani. But we’ll see what Ragnick thinks when everyone is fit and he’s had time to work with the team.
What are you talking about ? first half the center midfield were non-exiting

Even more so I don't think that Scott touched the ball the whole first half because I didn't see any of our back 4 passing to him.

The only guy that maybe got the ball was Fred. Scott is continuing to hide and not come and take the ball and push it to the front 4.

We have a bloody hole in the middle that makes our 2 CB's to take control and drive the ball forward and put us in danger.

Daengophile

A hideous win is something that can be beasted away on the training ground.

3 points in the bank

RepardReece

Since Dean Smith joined Norwich, they had only lost 1 of 4 games, that's impressive considering the position they were in.

Ralf said before the match it would not be easy. Today's match is one we would not have won had Ole still been in charge.

Important 3 points.

Matt851

Nothing about that was good.

I hope Rangnick isn't to wedded to his 4222 formation because I really don't see it getting the best out of the players we have. Seems like we would need elite attacking full backs for it to function well and it also doesn't suit Bruno or our wide forwards. I would imagine low block teams would be happy to see us play the formation so they can play narrow and congest the middle of the park

robbomanu

Dominated the first half, just couldn’t convert. 2nd half things became a lot harder.

De gea was superb

Lyng

First of all I hope Victor is okay.

I have to say its quite amazing how Dean Smith has turned this Norwich team upside down. Its like a completely different team to Farkes.

Other than that we didnt look great offensively.
Rashford and Bruno and to some extent Ronaldo where very poor. The amount of missplaced passes from Bruno is staggering.

Another clean sheet. Maguire looked better, and both Vic and Bailly did fine. I can see Shaw claiming his spot again but AwB must be finished in our starting 11 by now.

Fred looks more and more like the centerpiece of Rangnicks team. He is playing really well right now, and I though McT had a very decent match as well.

Oh and De Gea is in beast mode. Anyone wanted Henderson to take the spot right now is mental.

justsomebloke

Quick transition doesn't mean giving the ball away repeatedly. That was the issue today and that's why we looked poor.

The forwards were all misfiring and literally everything we did in the final third failed to come off. Everyone else was fine.
No of course not. But when you try to play that kind of game and are not yet able to do so very well, that is what happens. And until they get the hang of that system, that is what will continue to happen.

So there's not really much point in bitching about that, is there. Nor to expect them to do something they will have been instructed not to do, which is to hold on to the ball.

Lyng

What are you talking about ? first half the center midfield were non-exiting

Even more so I don't think that Scott touched the ball the whole first half because I didn't see any of our back 4 passing to him.

The only guy that maybe got the ball was Fred. Scott is continuing to hide and not come and take the ball and push it to the front 4.

We have a bloody hole in the middle that makes our 2 CB's to take control and drive the ball forward and put us in danger.
This is madness. Scott and Fred where both constantly part of the game. The issue today was our front 4 who where below average to downright terrible.

Foxbatt

But of course, it's surely the intention that it should work better than this. It'll take some time to get into, I suppose.
Thats not how Schalke played and neither did Leipzig under him. It was direct but they had ball control and held the ball and made quick passes. If they cannot control the ball then they cannot pass. This is what happened to our forwards today. They keep losing possession so we could not get going.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
DDG was quality,
Maguire superb,
Telles, Fred and McT really good.
The forward players looked out of sorts massively.
Overall, glad we've got a clean sheet again and three points.

Hoof the ball

A few things.

1. Massive improvement for McTominay in almost every area and most notably how intentional he was in forcing progressive balls. Had the look of someone who was told what was expected of him, and he went out there and did it splendidly.

2. Fred is still continuing his improved effectiveness and consistency post-Ole. Wasn't as good today as the last few games, but still demonstrably better than his former standards. McFred was a dread word; these two may find their feet in a big way under Rangnick.

3. Pressing was just gone. Defence not squeezing up, midfield too deep, forwards and AM's not engaging as first line of press. Didn't seem energy related; just seemed as though they forgot how in the heat of the game.

4. Dalot with a good performance again. Had a sticky spell for a short time in the 1st half, but was key in two crucial blocks which looked goal-bound, and was good with the ball out right.

5. Ronaldo is very reluctant to receive the ball and turn. At one point he dropped deeper with his back to goal, layed the ball back to Fred first time, who himself was under pressure. His conservatism deeper in the field isn't much use. Needs to be much higher up.

Blood Mage

I really don't know what Sacha Lense took from the Norwich game - the fact that we played so poor all game or that we won despite the fact we were so bad

He needs to be proactive because 3 of our front 4 don't look good at all at the moment
He needs to spend a lot of time with Rashford because that kid's head is gone right now. I don't understand how he lasted the full 90 today.

Matt851

DDG was quality,
Maguire superb,
Maguire superb, telles really good - are you sure you watched the game? Telles was poor, maguire not great either

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Shite performance, no one (DDG aside) stood out.

Playing a team at the bottom of the table and needing a penalty, and MoTM performance from our goal keeper, to get a result.

Also totally ineffective subs... DvB for Bruno with minutes left? Come on man...

That's it for me now, Ole ou.... oh, wait a minute...

Tapori

DDG was quality,
Maguire superb,
Sums it up.
Poor decisions in the final 3rd and plenty of breaks and opportunities.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Maguire superb, telles really good - are you sure you watched the game? Telles was poor, maguire not great either
I watched the game, just seen different to you.

Daengophile

In a match of devils versus canaries, it was, at times, difficult to see who the canaries were.

More fire in the belly is required

Suedesi

Rashford was beyond awful, Bruno was wasteful in possession and trying to force it too much and Ronaldo could have had a hat trick.

Still some perspective is needed - during Klopp’s first ten matches they only scored 14 and during Tuchel’s first 10 matches they only scored 10. Some mechanisms will take time and patience is needed.

Best thing about today was the three points

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 86% of 347 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win