PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 December 2021

Okey

Hard to understand why that was so poor. Thankfully we won, but surely got to do much better. We'll struggle to get past Brentford if we play like this on Tuesday.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure how it was a lucky goal? Blatant penalty.
I guess I mean as in we’re lucky they’ve done that. The ball was over Ronaldo’s head. We’ve not scored a goal from our own good play.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
i don't get the McFred praise, yes they played well. But the midfield wasn't really under control and got dominated by Norwich near the end of the game.
I really don't get why they get used against the weakest PL team and as a duo still don't work(individually they were good though).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For context, it's worth noting that Norwich have been statistically one of the best defences in the league since Smith took over.

It won't last for them and it's doesn't excuse our bad performance but worth saying we have met them at a time when they're in better form.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Only positive is another clean sheet.

Bruno can not work in this formation with his lack of positional discipline and tactically he is too much of a maverick that wants to do his own thing to work in RR system.
Well not the only positive. McFred both look MUCH better in this system. That's a big plus. Lindelof also good since Ralf arrived. When it's all flux, you take what you can.

bosniamanutd

This ragnickology made us less offensive but our defence is also less vulnerable as a result of high pressure. Its obvious we lose energy during game as a result of bad fitness but that shuold improve over time. Well , Lindelof almost colapsed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Meh. Every penalty is lucky then I guess.
Not really. Sometimes you’re twisting the defender inside and out so your skill makes him foul you. Or some good passing in the box has them stretching. This was an over hit cross and someone was pulled down off the ball.

Someone

Something
Good result but Bruno, Rashford, and Ronaldo were awful, and Sancho ended up being subbed.

SB16

I actually thought it was interesting just how little we pressed, especially in the second half. I wonder if it's at least partly an instruction from RR in an effort to conserve energy for Brentford (seeing as we have really no midfield replacements if Scott/Fred get fatigued/injured). I guess most of Norwich's attack threat comes from balls played from the back around the opposition defence, with runners going in behind, so the need to close space in midfield is less obvious.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Come on it was not a poor ball. It's not perfect but any good striker should be able to bury that chance. He wasn't even marked. Watch it again and you'd see.

Tbh I don't get the harsh comments for Rashford this match. He was really lively and was actually the only one managed to dribble past a Norwich defender, several times. Especially the one by the end of the match when he dribbled past a Norwich defender then pass to Ronaldo.
It was at least a yard behind where it should be, the connection Ronaldo gets is because he leaves his leg outstretched to even get a touch.

Fitchett

Our front 4 doesn’t do enough work on and off the ball. That’s fine when you’re Ronaldo and you get the goals. Rashford, Bruno and Sancho have to do a helluva lot more work. And all of their passing at times is awful.

I’d give Rashford a 0/10 performance today. I don’t think he made a pass to a United player all game. We had 4 big chances had he made the right pass but he kept playing it too short or long. What I don’t understand is he never seems to get subbed or dropped for being so poor. I feel like Lingard could offer a lot more a present.
Agree with you completely that Rashford was very poor again tonight, but did you watch Lingard on Wednesday night? He couldn't be arsed.

Josep Dowling

Agree with you completely that Rashford was very poor again tonight, but did you watch Lingard on Wednesday night? He couldn't be arsed.
I’m not saying Lingard is the answer to all our problems but with Ronaldo you need runners around him. At least Lingard tries to press and puts pressure on the defence. Rashford barely runs when we have the ball let alone when we don’t. I can’t wait for Cavani to come back.

tayside red

If this is our reinvention, I'm worried, we were no better than under Ole. Norwich must feel really hard done by tonight. Mind you all the teams above us are struggling to put solid performances together. C'mon Ralf get us organised and playing as a unit for January.

hobbers

I’m not saying Lingard is the answer to all our problems but with Ronaldo you need runners around him. At least Lingard tries to press and puts pressures on the defence. Rashford barely runs when we have the ball let alone with we don’t. I can’t wait for Cavani to come back.
Lingard isn't the answer, he'll be gone in January.

A fit Cavani is what we desperately need. Shame he isn't 5 years younger, he'd be a perfect striker for Rangnick.

The Bruno problem is more worrying, because the only real option there is VdB, or Greenwood playing deeper, or Pogba when he comes back but isn't going to be here next season.

saivet

Wow, Bruno lost possession 27 times and Ronaldo and Rashford lost possession 17 times each. All over them gave possession away over 30% of the time they had a touch.

MalaysianRed7

I loved the Palace performance last week, but that was utterly atrocious on a scale not far off the way we played at Watford. So, so bad. Once again lapsed into the ‘pressing’, or there lack of, when we were managed by Ole. Passing wasn’t much better as well. 10/10 for De Gea, who has undoubtedly found his prime level again now, but nothing more than 5’s or 6’s for the rest, with some verging into 4’s, like Bruno and Jadon.

However, we got a vital 3 points, especially after Arsenal won earlier as well. It would have been desperate had we not beaten the worst team in the league over the past 3 seasons, so this is going to be important.

Also, get well soon Victor! His improvement this season has been excellent, now I just hope he’s in good spirits and most importantly, health.

Nordmore

It was at least a yard behind where it should be, the connection Ronaldo gets is because he leaves his leg outstretched to even get a touch.
That ball was not perfect, if it's perfect it should have arrived at his right feet. It however arrived at his left. He still had the time to shoot it with his left, not only "even get a touch". Watch again and you'd see.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That ball was not perfect, if it's perfect it should have arrived at his right feet. It however arrived at his left. He still had the time to shoot it with his left, not only "even get a touch". Watch again and you'd see.
If he'd hit a brick wall he might have been to yeah.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Jamie Redknapp on Sky just did a really nice segment on Sky highlighting the poor work of our front four off the ball, but particularly Sancho and Bruno. They too often left a massive gap on one side of the pitch for Norwich to switch the ball too and easily counterattack down.

Foxbatt

Terrible game and DeGea saved us once again. The forward were terrible. What I did not understand was that against Palace we pushed up the pitch and really cramped it. Today it was like an Ole team. We did not push up at all.

Tragically Hip

Ronaldo looked really tired half way through to me; I don't think he misses that Rashford setup (his only positive contribution) too often. I think Greenwood could have come on earlier, but Norwich didn't look like the worst side in the league either.

jesperjaap

Sick now of hearing some of these commentators talkign about how much quality we have on the pitch. Ralf seems very sharpe and Im sure in time he will suss on to the fact, it isnt just tactical, management or team problems.

It doesnt matter who we have in charge with this current side....Its been evident back to Mourinho that several of the playes still here in this side simply arent good enough for the jersey starting regularly, Lindelof and McFred obvious examples, there are many more within the squad though, worse than that though this quality isnt really that true.

We have so many talented players that have consistently given the ball away ever since they have been here Rashford, Pogba and even Fernandes are the obvious candidates and they are considered possibly our best players bar Ronaldo. The performance from Fernandes was particularly bad today, but he has had many games like that where 80% of the game he has been bad, but those decisive moments of quality changing the game have got people to forget all of that. For me, you can have a player like Fernandes, you cant have two or three at the same time though, as when they are all poor, the team is poor and we have seen that time and time again the last couple of years. Itws crazy looking at our squad that there are still a good 10 players should be sold really and that we still have three or four positions we need players signed in

suheilsworld

Considering the run of games coming , I’ll take all 1-0 win with a penalty. It’s important to pick up points now. Performances will come, let’s be patient. Games are coming thick and fast as it’s tough for a new manager to get this plays. I’ll look at positives and move on. Another scrappy performance against a scrappy team midweek coming up. Let’s hope we get the rub of the green in terms of points

NICanRed

Norwich were passing the ball to members of their own team. Is this allowed? If so - we should try it!
Don't understand the subs - or lack of them.
MBE needs a rest.
VDB needs a game - to show us whether he's good or bad. But at least deserves a game.

TheReligion

Abusive
The issue today was with Bruno, Rashford and Ronaldo.

If any one of them has a decent game we win this by a few. All we off form and gave the ball away. When your forwards are that poor collectively any team will come unstuck over 90 minutes.

The rest were all okay I thought with DDG, Lindelof, Fred and Mctominay pretty good.

Firestorm

Very happy with the 3 points ..could have easily lost that game. Was very impressed with McTominay, he had another good game -don’t understand why he gets so much stick on here? If it hasn’t been for David I would have made him MOTM.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The issue today was with Bruno, Rashford and Ronaldo.

If any one of them has a decent game we win this by a few. All we off form and gave the ball away. When your forwards are that poor collectively any team will come unstuck over 90 minutes.

The rest were all okay I thought with DDG, Lindelof, Fred and Mctominay pretty good.
Granted our front 3 were poor today, but there were problems across the board. De Gea needed to make 3 excellent saves today. Norwich had 70% of the ball after we scored and we had 1 shot on target in the 2nd half. The 2nd half display was worrying. As poor as we've been in 1st halves this season is how bad we were today in that 2nd half against Norwich, a team sitting bottom of the table. The confidence of our forwards looked shot, Rashford in particular has zero confidence right now and Ronnie looked totally off it.

Honestly, watching that today has me concerned.

TheReligion

Abusive
Granted our front 3 were poor today, but there were problems across the board. De Gea needed to make 3 excellent saves today. Norwich had 70% of the ball after we scored and we had 1 shot on target in the 2nd half. The 2nd half display was worrying. As poor as we've been in 1st halves this season is how bad we were today in that 2nd half against Norwich, a team sitting bottom of the table. The confidence of our forwards looked shot, Rashford in particular has zero confidence right now and Ronnie looked totally off it.

Honestly, watching that today has me concerned.
If your forwards constantly give the ball away and offer you nothing over 90 minutes then the rest of the team will struggle.

I'm not overly worried even if the performance was not what we wanted and lacked cohesion. He's still working out who is best where and this will open his eyes somewhat.

Devil may care

Floating turd of a performance but big 3 points, the Rashnaldo combination needs to go, they aren't compatible. De Gea is still so important for us and I thought the CB's had a good game.

captaincantona

We were so fuking negative ...
- Negative out of possession...no pressure put on Norwich or forcing them into mistakes

- Negative with the ball at the back and in midfield..safe backwards and sideways passing with limited movement

- Negative when there was space to run into. Fred and McT as good as they were didn’t take the initiative and burst into space with the ball when the space was there...the full backs didn’t make ground with the ball and played backwards most of the time...

-Negative off the ball...no runs...no trying to get in behind...Sancho and Ronaldo just popping up in the oddest positions no where near where they could cause damage.

Just a bizarre performance and if RR is not eating the fuking heads of those lads then I’d be really disappointed. No self respecting German heavy metal loving press maestro could really sit through that without wanting to crack some skulls.

RuudTom83

City needed a penalty to beat 10-man Wolves...that is football for you! its not always easy 3-nils or fast flowing football.

Winning ugly is a great trait to have.

Monger

It's clear why a few players were distraught with Ole leaving.... they can only perform under the "go express yourself" philosophy.

Ralph is too much of a shock to the system for this squad that we could end up back in a rebuild very quick. If you want a pressing team then recruit pressing players

bugmat

Great: DdG
Good: Sancho, Fred
Okay: McTominay, Lindelof, Telles
Average: Maguire, Dalot
Awful: Brunon Ronaldo (penalty aside)
Terrible: Rashford

Ralf: okay - weird Sancho sub again when other attackers (see under Terrible) needed hooking

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 86% of 347 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw