PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 December 2021

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Happy with three points but we were both poor and lucky. I’d drop Fernandes and Rashford for the Brentford game. Bring in VDB and Greenwood.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The one time De Gea had to pull that crazy save, Maguire lost the header again. How many times has it happened this season? why is he becoming shit at clearing the ball with his head? it's massive and it should be hard to miss the ball with that size!

Woodzy

Pretty much the performance I expected for the Palace game. Not quite Ole ball but not much better either. The performances will come, worries about some of these players though:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Negatives

Really poor football
Our attack is doing nothing
Rashford destroying every attack /Bruno poor all season/Ronaldo does nothing aside from a moment of two a game

Positives
We aren't defending like clowns anymore/another clean sheet
Mctominay was pretty good and Fred was again excellent

Scholsey2004

I think that style is not sustainable for a top team. Every top team values possession and control of the game most, even Klopp who is the epitome of gegenpressing in football. We won't go far with the 8 seconds rule or whatever it is called. We need to be smart, open up play, open teams up. Of course, we need to have high tempo, but there's a difference between high tempo, short passing and gifting the ball away with sloppy passes to no-man's land
I've wondered about this myself. I'm happy to see where it goes but a lot of what we're hearing is like Klopp in workrate but like Leicester in style in that its reactive rather than dominating. Moving the ball forward quickly and directly is typically an upper midtable approach for sides who expect to get dominated. If you play such high energy football without having spells of possession for purely game management purposes then that seems almost self destructively exhauating.

Last edited:

bugmat

Well, that's how they're supposed to play - quick transition, direct forward passing. Finish within ten seconds, remember. They're not supposed to prioritise holding onto the ball. They're just not able to execute that style very well yet.

This is transition to Rangnick-land, people. Give it time. It's not been too shabby so far, considering the starting point, but it's not nearly there yet. We still have a lot of ground to cover before we start seeing performances as good as the good ones under Ole. There were quite a few of those, after all. But that path fizzled out and now there's a new one.
Quick transitions don't mean hollywood balls like Bruno or deadend dribbles like rashford. City do quick transitions but they do it with high percentage passes. Liverpool do quick vertical balls through excellent crossing from their fullbacks.

lee82gx

Any other team would’ve put us to bed. Dave saves again. Maguire getting turned by their #11, almost made me call a substitution there and then.

Fred is doing much better, and McT too. i agree with ralf we got lucky. so Much improvement needed.

Bondi77

i think someone should sit Ronnie, Rashford and Sancho down and get them to introduce themselves to one another....it could help!

DSG

Negatives

Really poor football
Our attack is doing nothing
Rashford destroying every attack /Bruno poor all season/Ronaldo does nothing aside from a moment of two a game

Positives
We aren't defending like clowns anymore/another clean sheet
Mctominay was pretty good and Fred was again excellent
Glass half empty:
* Rashford, Bruno, Maguire, without a spec of confidence. Just look like a shadow of their former selves
* Ronaldo suddenly forgot how to shoot
* uncertainty in developing our patterns of play

Glass half full:
* 3 points
* Clean sheet
* Sancho is slowly beginning to contribute
* De Gea in top form
* Starting to make forward passes

Scholsey2004

i think someone should sit Ronnie, Rashford and Sancho down and get them to introduce themselves to one another....it could help!
He's probably not done much with the forwards yet in fairness. He's likely started with the defensive unit.

TheReligion

Abusive
No of course not. But when you try to play that kind of game and are not yet able to do so very well, that is what happens. And until they get the hang of that system, that is what will continue to happen.

So there's not really much point in bitching about that, is there. Nor to expect them to do something they will have been instructed not to do, which is to hold on to the ball.
Of course but that's the reason why it didn't work today. The forwards. That's the truth of it.

If they were doing what was expected of them properly, like Mctominay and Fred, we win pretty easily. If they play like that again Tuesday we will likely get beaten.

Tallis

On the positives -

DDG gave a genuine WC performance. He seems to becomes better if the team plays bad ?

Fred - second very good performance from him in a row.Always knew about this work rate but he seems to have stepped up a notch in terms of passing, keeping possession and linking up play. Very impressive.

I would really like to see Mason start at 9. His physicality and hold up play is definitely upgraded. He will do a better job of holding up the ball and not conceding possession in advanced areas.

Sancho - he needs to find ways to stay involved. He brings out the ball but never seems to get it back.

Rash - he was very poor in the first 60 minutes but seemed to get better in the latter parts of the match. I thought he did very well when he set up that chance for Ronaldo.

Hate to say it but I would like to see Mason play instead of R7 and DVB play instead of Bruno. Both those changes will give us a little more control.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The two no 10 and two forwards today were poor. They didn’t link together well enough, made poor decision, and gave the ball away cheaply too many times. Although, i think we will do better in brentford game.

Dempsey19

When your GK gets MOTM then you know we played terrible.

I genuinely think we should of lost the game. We were terrible from the start.

Defence was good to be fair but front 4 were shocking. Rashford was the worst of the worst, he can do the most difficult thing and then completely feck up the easy part. Its strange!

3 point is 3 points but I was hoping to be excited today, I dont think I jumped up at any stage.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We don’t have the players to press efficiently in continuous matches yet.

It’s always going to be a long process, anyway.

gajender

Poor performance all round front four were really bad but also can't figure out some of the praise for our midfield and defence are getting either they mostly take the option of easiest pass and still play in such a laboured fashion without any conviction or belief .

passtheball

Positives:
1. De God.
2. Somewhat in contradiction to the above, the defense was solid enough. De Gea made only one worldie save. Another clean sheet.
3. McFred were decent. I have been a hard critic of McT, but he made good forward passes all game. RR is having an impact.
4. Full backs are getting forward (and were let down by the front 4).

Negatives:
1. Front 4 - shockingly bad pressing and passing, especially after having done it well in parts against CP.
2. RR not taking Rashford off. Is yet another manager going to indulge this head-down, unintelligent runner?
3. Not knowing how to keep possession and kill momentum when the other team are in the ascendency.

Happy with the 3 points, but this was for the most part Ole-ball. RR has his work cut out - but I feel some confidence that he can sort it, unlike Ole.

Levi1

I only saw the second half. Rashford was ok, don't understand all the criticism of him. Lots of running, just end product wasnt great. Was bucketing down, so don't understand the high expectations on the skill players.

croadyman

The one time De Gea had to pull that crazy save, Maguire lost the header again. How many times has it happened this season? why is he becoming shit at clearing the ball with his head? it's massive and it should be hard to miss the ball with that size!
Yeah would have been a gut wrencher if that ex scouser scored against us

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The difference between this game and the Palace game was that Norwich actually applied pressure higher up the pitch, while Palace stood off us, and allowed us to play and advance towards their goal for 80 + minutes. That meant our pressures higher up the pitch were more effective due to having the luxury of maintaining a higher defensive line even without the ball.

But credit to Norwich who came out and attempted to disrupt our offensive transitions and almost succeeded by applying off the ball pressures, which meant our offensive transitions kept breaking down and the Norwich players kept seeping through our forward and midfield lines, which in-turn meant the back line kept dropping deeper and hence we couldn't get a grip on the game.

There was some very poor performances from our players, and a few need to be dropped. But it's only two games for Rangnick, who has joined at probably the worst time when it comes to preparing the team midseason. And I'm still very optimistic that we'll see a upturn in form in the coming weeks/months, where I'm expecting to see us at the very least, show a level of compactness in a high line without the ball against the so called lesser sides, which will hopefully see us sustain attacks.

There's a reason why most Head Coaches prefer not to start midseason, and that's due to not having the preparation time to effectively implement their ideas. Erik ten Hag in his first 6 months at Ajax wasn't pulling up any trees and came under quite a bit of criticism from fans, media and pundits alike. But after that 6 month period, his ideas started to manifest on match days and the effort on the training ground was then on display to the watching public.

Last edited:

vanrooney

when bruno is not in form he is a problem as he constantly gives the ball away on the other hand he always tries through balls that can be top chances if executed perfectly. hard to tell what you do with him

Greck

And this is the reason why we were shit today, when the forward line cannot hold the ball then its going to be tough to control the game.

Bruno hopelessly tried all game to vertically pass to the full backs and failed more often than not, as a result of which we had no attacking outlet because as stated earlier the forwards were shit aswell.

We need a reliable midfielder like scholes or even carrick who can pass the fecking ball more than 5 yards.
The attackers including Bruno were just out there doing their own thing. The goal in any system is to work the ball. Cut the overly aggressive assist hunting and do the bloody basics. Even when we still played direct Scholes and Rooney weren't trying to create a goal on every pass. If it's not there it's not there.

GueRed

3 points. Bonus clean sheet.

Rashford, Sancho, Bruno and Ronaldo were very poor. And collectively looked out of sorts again.

If we have that many individual poor performances against Brentford on Tuesday? its gonna be painful watch.

UpWithRivers

Its easier for the defence and the midfield. The system is not that radically different for them except stop passing sideways and back and the fullbacks push up more which is only alien to WB who hasnt played. The front players are dramatically different. They seem in their heads and overthinking it instead of playing by instinct. That will come with time.

Rashford is not a striker or a RW. He played better when Greenwood came on and he went left.

Bestietom

None of our 4 forwards deserved any more than 4 out of 10.
We also need more flair in midfield.
Any other team with a decent strike force would have beaten us.
Rangnick has a big job on his hands, and will need reinforcements in January. Midfield and a Forward.

Red00012

Our biggest problem is our attacking players playing as individuals rather than for the team.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We can't keep hoping that DDG keeps bailing us out every game.

Ixion

Pretty awful performance. At least its 3 points and a clean sheet. Our midfielders and defenders resorted to sideways and backwards passing very quickly but I think it's down to the movement and energy of the front 4, none of them were pressing with any intensity right from the off.

More concerned about Lindelof though to be honest. Hope that was just a funny turn.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Yes and you would expect our forwards to score against Norwich.
You would expect, but football doesn’t work like that anymore. Every game in the league is a battle these days and if the team doesn’t perform it will be a struggle, as we’ve seen countless times over the past few years when we’ve just about scraped victories. Worked in the 90s maybe in Ole era but nowadays you need a team, more than ever. It’s arrogance to say the least that we should just expect to beat these teams without the required team effort.

Bestietom

You would expect, but football doesn’t work like that anymore. Every game in the league is a battle these days and if the team doesn’t perform it will be a struggle, as we’ve seen countless times over the past few years when we’ve just about scraped victories. Worked in the 90s maybe in Ole era but nowadays you need a team, more than ever. It’s arrogance to say the least that we should just expect to beat these teams without the required team effort.
True, Our 4 forwards were useless and deserved no more than a 4 out of 10. Rashford keeps running blind, and loses the ball all the time.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
True, Our 4 forwards were useless and deserved no more than a 4 out of 10. Rashford keeps running blind, and loses the ball all the time.
It’s honestly pathetic if they think just turning up will result in victory. Norwich definitely deserved something. Our youngsters need a harsh reality check unfortunately. They aren’t good enough to have these attitudes.

Bondi77

He's probably not done much with the forwards yet in fairness. He's likely started with the defensive unit.
Well he definitely did not seem impressed with the offensive side of our game today and I thought they were shite.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Wow - we really are not a very good team, are we? What a mess... both the XI and, as I've been saying for more than two years, the whole club.

Some truly terrible performances against a side that can't score goals and is pretty much guaranteed to be back in the Championship next season. Bruno was awful, so was Ronaldo and Rashford, if it's possible, worse. Mason looked lost when he came on too. We are desperate for Cavani (injury clearly worse than they were letting on)

On the plus side, we didn't give away a stupid goal and although it was last-ditch at times, the defence looks a bit better. Dalot and Telles are definitely better than Shaw and AWB. Maguire is the one who should drop up when Varane finally returns (how bad is that injury?).

Also, the obvious plus: DDG was magnificent. Very possibly he's best ever performance for us.

There is only one Top Four spot left open and at this rate, I 'm not sure we are going to get it...

Hoof the ball

Ok, some numbers from the game.

• Fred with a massive 33 presses; then Bruno (21), Rashford (18), McTominay (16). Ronaldo's pressing was poor (10), and Sancho's wasn't much better (13). This might be why Sancho was taken off; for even though he was good on the ball, he was nowhere near his fellow no.10 Bruno. Low pressing from Ronaldo and Sancho can in part explain the lack of intensity in the high press.
  • Fred, McTominay and Telles were the leaders in tackles (4), Dalot was the leader in interceptions (5). Most blocks were McTominay (5) and Telles (4).
  • The poorest defensive stats amongst the attacking half was Ronaldo (1 tackle, 0 int), Rashford (1 int. 0 tackle) and especially Sancho (0 tackle, 0 int!)
  • Fred (4), Telles (3), and Sancho (3) were the highest in terms of shot-creating actions.
  • The leaders in progressive passes were McTominay (7), Sancho (7), Dalot (6), Fred (6), Bruno (5). The worst was Ronaldo (1!) and Rashford (3).
  • Leaders of progressive carries were Sancho (9), Maguire (9), Bruno (7), Rashford (6). Ronaldo had the least attempted progressive carries and least completed (2!)
  • McTominay lead progressive pass distance (yds) (379), Dalot (309), Telles (300), Maguire (287), Fred (286). Bruno on (155), Sancho (151), Ronaldo (84), although players closer to goal tend to make shorter progressive passes in general.
  • Dalot had highest percetage of long passes made (85%), followed my McTominay (83%)

Hughie77

Plus points which there wasn't many, the recovery defending has been better, set piece defending has been better, Maguire has to not leave players get a run on him either he cannot get off the floor, negative point. Varane back in we should see improvement? This was a tough game .

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was more of the same as what we've seen all season really. We were cut open for fun and relied on De Gea to get us the points.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 86% of 347 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 318 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw