g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 08 November 2014

OneUnited24

This 4141 is frustrating to watch as i think our players can express themselves better in the 442 diamond but we do seem tighter at the back with it even if our attack suffers.

Still 3 important points so i'll take it!

Kag

Dreadful today. But then we played well last weekend and lost, so I'll take the 3 points however they come about given our current situation.

As for the performance, that was exactly the kind of football that made me lose all hope last season. I hope that isn't repeated any time soon. Mata and Herrera can't come back into the side quick enough, for me.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Given our injuries in defence, I'm with the way we set up. But in the future I hope we play herrera and di Maria as midfielders and rooney further forward.

Natener

3pts and LVG didn't look pleased. Meaning we got the points but clearly gave LVG plenty to think about still, which is good because it was exhausting watching us play like that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
3 points, clean sheet, rarely troubled.

Palace looked happy to sit deep and park it, and I was hoping they'd come out and press more as the game went on so we could get in behind. However, when they did start to press, we looked even worse.

Everyone who played in the back four were all solid. Valencia and Shaw just don't seem to lose one on one battles.

Fellaini has been useful. He wins us the physical battle and retains the ball well. Playing both him and Carrick made us very slow though. We really needed Herrera in there for one of them.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Poor game, good result. Unimpressive performance from most of our attacking players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We kept possession well but didn't do much with it. Rooney, RvP, di Maria, januzaj and fellaini were all pretty shit imo. Fellaini shouldn't be starting really, only put him on when we need a goal to lump it. No idea why Herrera is being kept on the bench, we're lacking the quality he brings and quick passing. Fellaini on the ball never takes a risk, never looks for a quick pass forward and so the ball doesn't get to RvP enough.

Roboc7

We are so pedestrian and one paced that we are too easy to defend against but we just don't have the personnel to do much about it. Surely we have to try Rooney up front instead of RVP and bring Herrera back into midfield to try and inject a bit more energy into the team.

More I watch this team the more I think as well as needing 2 or 3 defenders we also need a playmaker and two wide players, maybe even a striker as well, this is a big job for any manager.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Dire performance. Three points an early Christmas present. All the issues we had last season under Moyes, where teams would sit back, wait for us to run out of ideas and then counter, were present today. The dynamism and attacking fluidity of the Everton game looked a million miles away. When Mata was introduced it changed for like two minutes, as Di Maria came inside and got close to him, but after that...

This formation we're playing doesn't suit our best players. I hope Van Gaal will rethink his approach over the international break. The stars of our side play best at close quarters to each other, stretching them out creates fewer angles for triangles and literally nothing happened for large periods of the game despite our possession.

Positives were seeing Rooney run with the ball, Shaw being very good, Carrick looking good on his return, and Mata looking determined after his introduction. Negatives? Everything else barring the result. A team with more quality than Palace would have beaten us today. That's the sad truth.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fellaini played well, as sickening as it is for some. Januszaj, not so much.
Fellaini didn't play badly but he just doesn't offer much. Every time he got ball he played the simple pass, mostly to Adnan. Can't have that against poor teams at home.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I see that Herrera has now become a magically good player who wouid transform the team if only given the chance by the evil Van Gaal. And not just a player who has had a mixed start to his time at Old Trafford.

RedStarUnited

We lacked intensity, everyone was happy just to keep the ball moving and no force anything.

binary bot
Fellaini is mostly on for his height. If we had a full defence I don't think he starts, or at least goes off at some stage. Januzaj was abysmal, they seemed to concentrate on Di Maria so our option was Januzaj and he seemed to miss up at every chance.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
3 points is 3 points.

When was the last time we created a chance in the box from open play? We never create anything there.

OneUnited24

I see that Herrera has now become a magically good player who wouid transform the team if only given the chance by the evil Van Gaal. And not just a player who has had a mixed start to his time at Old Trafford.
Before his injury i thought he was one of our better players ?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Only positive for me is that we are looking much better defensively with every game, and of course we got the 3 points finally.

Hopefully Van Gaal ends his experimentation with Januzaj and Fellaini and restores Mata and Herrera next time.
This please.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Important win, finally move above Liverpool again too.

Performance wasn't great, but we controlled the game pretty comfortably. Angel's form is beginning to become a concern. I'd like to see the diamond brought back.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
:lol:

We really are garbage. That was a depressing performance to watch.

It was a Moyesian performance. Struggling to see what LvG has added to the club.

Dylan94

Not happy at all despite the win. People are being too blasé and "it'll be alright mantra" about this. We needed to make some kind of statement today and in the end we've scraped a win after a terrible performance and have done nothing of the sort. No matter how you dress it up or justify it that performance today was no better than this kind of game under David Moyes regardless of injuries or their playing style. It's not good enough. 3 points is 3 points however you get them but this was Crystal Palace for God sake. If we can't beat them we can't beat anyone.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Might sound daft but I don't particularly care about performances at this moment in time in all honesty. On a fair few occasions this season, we've played really well but failed to collect 3 points, and I'm glad we reserved the trend this time around to grind out an ugly result. The players and manager desperately need a string of positive results to get some confidence back and cement a spot in the Top 4 so I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a sustained run.

kundalini

Awful performance. No tempo at all. Di Maria and Januzaj were crap. Rooney and Fellaini gave RVP minimal support. Blind and McNair were poor defensively; thankfully Campbell wasted a huge chance.

We looked a very poor side. Thankfully Mata's deflected shot saved us.

Truedevil

Hopefully Van Gaal ends his experimentation with Januzaj and Fellaini and restores Mata and Herrera next time.
This. Fellaini is a donkey and a couple of decent performances won't change that.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not really, we just want Herrera back so we can change back to the diamond, which means Di Maria gets to play inside, where he was our best player!

Empire

:lol: at the overreaction.

Last week Chelsea scraped past QPR, we had more shots on Palace's goal and possession than Chelsea at home to QPR.

This is what happens when the opposition park the bus, you need to persist and we did that then we closed the game out excellently.

I do agree we need to increase the clear cut chances and we do need to improve the performance but if we created quite a few clear cut chances then we would not be in the rebuilding phase.

togg

There is absolutely no way LVG will be happy with that performance, but he will be very happy with the three points. In his press conference I detected a feeling that there is so much more to do than he thought originally. We have to stick by him, because in the end I really do think he'll produce a team that not only wins, but wins well.

NK86

Fellaini played well, as sickening as it is for some. Januszaj, not so much.
Fellaini was bang average, and barring Shaw, McNair and Carrick, the same would describe the rest of the outfield players.

Irrational.

We're now almost a third of the way through the season, and I'm yet to see any convincing evidence of this 'philosophy' that LVG supposedly has. I've not seen much change since the first game against Swansea. Occasional flashes of brilliance in attack, fragile at the back and mentally quite weak. Though to be fair, injuries are limiting us from putting any sort of consistency out there.

Luke Shaw was fantastic today, our biggest positive. I was still bricking it any time their attackers got the ball.

I'm glad the international break is here. Hopefully we can get a few more players back and get some of them fitter and return to some sort of form.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Shaw MOTM for me. Fellani did OK-he slows the play down when the ball is at his feet-but does disrupt things in MF.

No real attacking threats-RvP has to do better with his chances. Rooney coverer a lot of ground, but little in orchestrating the attack. ADM and Januzaj offered very little.

Defense was solid but for letting a ball bounce between the CBs in the box.

Take the points and run. Disappointed about not getting more goals against an ordinary side.

stu_1992

Well at least we got 3 points. There's not too much else you can say about that performance though. Yes Palace had most of their team behind the ball for the majority of the game, but we really should have broken them down more with the players we have.

Sam

Worst, most dissapointing performance of the season.

Looked like we were going somewhere under LVG, then he switched to this 4-4-1-1 nonsense and we look shit again.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
the only positive, the 3 points. Really poor performance overall.

But yeah, we won and we still on route to the top 4... now lets pray all our players come back fit from the internationals.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We won and that's the best possible outcome of a truly shitty and worrying match. LVG keeps making stupid decisions regarding the tactics and it's affecting the entire play. Special mention to Shaw who was again very impressive

The Red Thinker

Worst, most dissapointing performance of the season.

Looked like we were going somewhere under LVG, then he switched to this 4-4-1-1 nonsense and we look shit again.
*Facepalm* I guess you were hiding under a rock when Leicester and Dons happened.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Dire performance. Three points an early Christmas present. All the issues we had last season under Moyes, where teams would sit back, wait for us to run out of ideas and then counter, were present today. The dynamism and attacking fluidity of the Everton game looked a million miles away. When Mata was introduced it changed for like two minutes, as Di Maria came inside and got close to him, but after that...

This formation we're playing doesn't suit our best players. I hope Van Gaal will rethink his approach over the international break. The stars of our side play best at close quarters to each other, stretching them out creates fewer angles for triangles and literally nothing happened for large periods of the game despite our possession.

Positives were seeing Rooney run with the ball, Shaw being very good, Carrick looking good on his return, and Mata looking determined after his introduction. Negatives? Everything else barring the result. A team with more quality than Palace would have beaten us today. That's the sad truth.
They created feck all. A team with more quality than Palace wouldn't play with literally 11 men behind the ball and rugby tactics to hold us down. We weren't good today, but no way better teams than Palace would trash us if we play todays level.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 387 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 19% Man Utd 3:1 Crystal Palace