CL L Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:2 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 February 2019

Slevs

likes to play with penises
DDG- Superhuman, can't do more

Young- Fought hard but came up short, genuine lack of quality as a right back

Bailly and Lindeloff- kept them at bay, not really at fault for any of the goals, defended well

Shaw- meh

Herrera- fought but came up short, doesn't have the accelaration to drive forward when he gets rid of his man

Matic- track your fecking runner, defended well during open play

Pogba- immature, sometimes kept it for too long before realising, good 2 months so will not look into this game a lot

Martial- talk about shitting the bed, useless before coming off

Rashford- a child playing number 9. Yeah he's got quality but grow the feck up

Lingard- played well, shame he got injured

Sanchez- if he was sold tonight I would genuienly celebrate

Mata- useless as always, not a winger, weak as a number 10, don't get the point of his presence in this squad

Lukaku- meh, not enough time to make an impact

worldinmotion66

We actually pressed in the 1st, our final all was bad though. Completely fell of the cliff in the 2nd, I'm not sure, given the injuries, what could have been done differently.
We didn't press as a team, our front three pressed along with Pogba on occassion, but they carved through our midfield frequently because we didn't play with a high back line and their system allowed their forwards to drift into spaces.

When we use Herrera to push forward, we have more options to press and when in possession. When we try to play him a bit deeper it just doesn't suit us, it slows the play down. It also didn't help that Matic was dropping deep to collect the ball of the centre backs, so we had less options for a forward pass.

Hoof the ball

Even if we did lose Martial and Lingard, that is more than nullified by the fact that they started the game without Cavani, Neymar, whilst playing a CB in midfield, an ageing right-back at right-wing, an inconsistent winger and a 2nd/3rd choice attacking wide player. If we're a level below an incomplete jigsaw of a team, then my goodness....

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
We got bodied.

Ole fell into Tuchel's trap. When we visibly try to dominate possession against good teams, we get the run around.

We didn't utilise our strength, and reacting to an inability to counter, by trying to keep the ball and working it to Ashley Young was a sign of where Ole's inexperience shows.

But I won't hold it against them. Hopefully this performance highlights where we are weak, and we can get these issues addressed over the next year or two.

PSG look good. They look like Juve did 3 or 4 years ago, ready to take that step up into the latter stages. But Liverpool beat them 3-2 so obviously I'm talking nonsense.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

Watching this just pisses me off
If you watched that but not the game, I couldn't blame you for thinking 'why's that a red?'. Given all the soft shit he did gives yellows for though, he definitely should have seen a second yellow for that. And obviously a red in the first half would have changed the game. Then to send Pogba off... fecking disgraceful refereeing.

Johnnyredboots

FFS we didnt get "schooled" at all. It was probably heading for a nil nil. We had terrible luck with 2 key injuries and an awful referee who allowed their eventual goalscorer to stay on the pitch after 2 stonewall second bookings.

give your heads a wobble.

Better team won,emphasis on team.
They have class players all round even when they're missing Neymar and Cavani.
The fact the majority of the United fanbase thought this game was going to be a cruise illustrates their delusion.

We're a good side on good league form but the CL is a whole other level and that's where we need a higher class of player if we want to progress.
Do the owners want us to reach those standards ?
If so they need to put alot of money on the table.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
First half was decent, we kept up with this well oiled team. Martial and Lingard injured and taken off.. everything changed. Forward threat became not existent, and PSG knew they could go harder and higher after those changes. Unlike PSG, we can't afford such injuries on important players since we have nothing of quality to bring on. Nothing at all.

The difference in quality came to light tonight, and i am partly glad it did. You can't say that our players didn't try. They did, but they do not have the quality needed. And no matter who our next manager is, he needs the board to invest in the team.

Reactions: SteveJ

Ahsan_6386

So the major tactical blunder was not putting Lukaku on the wing? It would have resulted in the same thing and you'd be here posting that not putting Mata at right wing was a major tactical blunder.

Fact is, we have no genuine wingers who can beat a fecking man. Cute one touch passing all over the squad. Crowd them out and we're nullified.
Atleast Lukaku would have helped with shielding Young more and no I wouldn't have been posting about Mata since it's clear as anything that he is past it . Also Lukaku usually does play well when he starts from the right side and I had actually enquired earlier in the match thread before the start if starting with Lukaku from the right side might be beneficial . It's only when we go hoof ball in the middle then he seems to struggle for which Fellaini was more suited .

No matter which way we see it but having Sanchez and Mata on the wings against an elite team is a disaster since neither are able to take on a defender anymore. I agree that we need genuine wingers but between Lukaku and Mata it's better to go with Lukaku . Incompetent referee and injuries didn't help us either .

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Ref was shit, but so was our passing. We bottled it, you could see our nerves every time we got the ball. I mean you could see the difference in the squads though, they bring on top class players are replacements and we bring on 2 of the few players who still look poor even under OGS. If it wasn't for Pogba's sending off I'd say we'd still got a change in the 2nd leg, but we create nothing from midfield without him and their defence looked so comfertable tonight even with him on the field. The injuries and ref didn't help either of course.

Disapointed for sure, but can't say it's unexpected and we needed that comparison to show how far we've got to go. I wish we'd waited till after tonight before giving Young a new contract though. More than anything though it's disapointing that we looked more like Jose United again, we just didn't play like we've shown we can recently.

Brophs

The One and Only
Can’t remember which journo tweeted it but basically PSG moved up a gear and we didn’t have that gear to go to. No shame in losing to a better side.

gza the genius

Really enjoyed the ref deciding that once he's given a yellow to a player they had license to do whatever they wanted after that, until it was Pogba anyway.

The forced subs killed us, not really sure what else we could've done differently. We just don't have any depth. We were poor though and hardly created anything in the first half.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why did the ref take so long to send Pogba off? Ignoring whether it was the right or wrong decision I can't help being suspicious about the way it happened.
The consensus is that he was sending Young off, but either Pogba owned up or good old VAR told him he was sending off the wrong man. He couldn't even get that right.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Atleast Lukaku would have helped with shielding Young more and no I wouldn't have been posting about Mata since it's clear as anything that he is past it . Also Lukaku usually does play well when he starts from the right side and I had actually enquired earlier in the match thread before the start if starting with Lukaku from the right side might be beneficial . It's only when we go hoof ball in the middle then he seems to struggle for which Fellaini was more suited .

No matter which way we see it but having Sanchez and Mata on the wings against an elite team is a disaster since neither are able to take on a defender anymore. I agree that we need genuine wingers but between Lukaku and Mata it's better to go with Lukaku . Incompetent referee and injuries didn't help us either .
I respect your opinion.

I agree we genuinely need wingers.

Pjisared

It really showed our lack of squad depth.Sanchez, Mata, Lukaku....Give me a break :confused:

Add Matic, Herrera, Young, No pace and even less skill.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Better team won. Many of our squad players aren't good enough. That's pretty much it.
No, it’s not. If the ref had a good performance we’d be playing 11 against 10 for the majority of the game. And we would’ve possibly scored in the first half. He destroyed the flow of the game completely.

Andersons Dietician

Felt like tonight was really the first time Ole has made a mistake bringing on Mata and Sanchez. Should have been one or the other and then Lukaku and just stick him on Thiago Silva.

We just didn’t seem up for it or like nerves got the best of us, Matic did alright for me until he let Kimpembe walk.

Lingard passing atrocious, Rashford and Martial just weren’t involved and Mata and Sanchez were like two players got sent off.

Bailly, no idea why he stopped running for the Mbappe goal, he pauses for some reason like he is unaware Mbappe is behind him or he is match fixing.

Anyway, the league is more important for us, this was basically a throw away but that PSG was vastly different from the one in the last few games.

Ban

We didn't press as a team, our front three pressed along with Pogba on occassion, but they carved through our midfield frequently because we didn't play with a high back line and their system allowed their forwards to drift into spaces.

When we use Herrera to push forward, we have more options to press and when in possession. When we try to play him a bit deeper it just doesn't suit us, it slows the play down. It also didn't help that Matic was dropping deep to collect the ball of the centre backs, so we had less options for a forward pass.
That sounds good but I get why Ole was afraid of their pace. Sure we could have pressed better but all in all it was ok in the 1st although we werent dangerous. Once Lingard and Martial were injured all chances of our pressing at all disappeared.

moodyred

It is what it is. They were the better team. I felt that some of the players were nervous in the first half, but we were still well in the competition then.

After the 2nd half sub, things fell apart. I feel it is mainly down to the loss of lingard to check their attack.

Losing lingard and martial is a huge blow for us. Losing Pogba for the 2nd leg gives us very little chance of a come back.

Morpheus 7

A grim reality check, still a lot of work to do at this side. Full backs are way off at this level, we need a lot of work in midfield. Sanchez and Mata offered nothing. Really bad night for the club, need to refocus for top 4 and Chelsea on Monday. I think this tie is dead unfortunately, Pogba a huge loss.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The ref was poor alright.

But you need a bit of luck. They got the luck with the corner. I felt up until then it could go either way although Verratti was controlling things for them.

Their CBs were immense as well although Kimpempe should have been off.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Felt like tonight was really the first time Ole has made a mistake bringing on Mata and Sanchez. Should have been one or the other and then Lukaku and just stick him on Thiago Silva.

We just didn’t seem up for it or like nerves got the best of us, Matic did alright for me until he let Kimpembe walk.

Lingard passing atrocious, Rashford and Martial just weren’t involved and Mata and Sanchez were like two players got sent off.
The subs were obviously due to injuries.

Gordon S

They were much better than us tonight. Could have scored 2 more goals atleast.

Really depressing we couldn't even test Buffon.

Don't think Ole could have done much different either, we are simply lacking quality in the squad.

RMD83

We were poor. In fact shit. We didn’t even have a shot that I remember.

siw2007

Disappointing result, but thought the better team won. We had a bit of bad luck, maybe if the red sent of the Booker PSG defender in the first half when he took out Shaw, or Lingard and Martial weren’t injured on he stroke of half time then maybe we could have had a different result.

But nonetheless, PSG looked a far more experienced and accomplished outfit that definitely benefited from 6 years of champions league experience. They are intelligent and organised on and off the ball, in comparison, we looked raw and naive. Plenty for us to learn from, we had a real good go at them, wasn’t a pointless exercise like last year.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Habe people been watching the same game? They were nothing special and bar a few bad passes and decisions in the final third, the teams were very comparable. The ref was too inconsistent too. Couldnt let the game go but didmt persist with the yellows unless it was safe. A night to forget but with positive signs showing we are only 2-3 players off of actually being in the mix of the top group of teams
This is delusion .They toyed with us.What did we create? Nothing.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really was a game that could have gone either way, both teams were bad until the goal and they scored from a set piece. Shame about the result, we will learn from this. We definitely do not have the quality to go far in competition like this though.

lsd

The Oracle
We got a lesson hopefully we will be better for it in the future but for now just have to suck it up and take it .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No need to be overdramatic really. They are a better side than us, we knew that going in, even with their injuries. We were an inform side after a previous mess of a manager, but with a few glaring holes. 2 key injuries in the first half meant basically our entire attacking threat was gone, putting on 2 slow players instead of Lingard and Martial, led to them attacking with no fear of a counter anymore. We are useless at defending set pieces, that cost us today. They went a goal up, we then lose our heads a bit and lose our organization and get punished shortly after.

Shit happens. Lost to a better side, we'll learn from it and move on and hopefully improve next time. We need to sort out the gaps in our squad before we can achieve anything anyway.

Heinzesight

Habe people been watching the same game? They were nothing special and bar a few bad passes and decisions in the final third, the teams were very comparable. The ref was too inconsistent too. Couldnt let the game go but didmt persist with the yellows unless it was safe. A night to forget but with positive signs showing we are only 2-3 players off of actually being in the mix of the top group of teams
Ah, yes...some sense. Totally agree.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Main takeaways for me are that we lack depth and Sanchez really is done.

The form and buzz from Ole also smoked out the fact that came back to light today that there are fundamental issues which do need addressing. We all knew it before but today brings that reality back into focus.

Woodzy

A few things i'm taking from that.

Firstly, aside from a failed purchase in Fred, not properly strengthening this squad in past two windows is criminal you wonder if this board should even be allowed to make a decision on the next manager. PSG had second string players that were better than some of our starters.

With the modern playstyle, having the strongest front three possible can be the biggest difference between top teams. Sanchez and Mata showed that not only do we have adequate cover for THREE different positions, but you could also say that we need better starters for at least one of those positions in the first place.

Finally, I think it's ironic that Mourinho ball may have been the best chance of pulling a goal back towards the end. The jury is definitely still out on Ole, and he desperately needed a plan B today, but I think overall the players let him down more than anything.

saivet

If you watched that but not the game, I couldn't blame you for thinking 'why's that a red?'. Given all the soft shit he did gives yellows for though, he definitely should have seen a second yellow for that. And obviously a red in the first half would have changed the game. Then to send Pogba off... fecking disgraceful refereeing.
What did he do in the first half? The one on Shaw? Think that would have been a harsh yellow.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really was a game that could have gone either way, both teams were bad until the goal and they scored from a set piece. Shame about the result, we will learn from this. We definitely do not have the quality to go far in competition like this though.
Yeah you need a few key things to even fluke competitions tbh. We are a mess at set pieces (at both ends), have young players all around, and our weakest position is our center back. It's not a combination that usually proves fruitful going up against a team with top quality players throughout, even with 2 big injuries.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 405 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 PSG
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 PSG