CL L Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:2 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 February 2019

snk123

We were not outclassed contrary to popular opinion here. We were just very, very poor today collectively.

Ventura

Our unbalanced and neglected squad came up short against an oil-doped loophole-exploiting club, I mean our best RB is literally a former left winger, and he's not even good going forward /facepalm. Expecting us to hammer this lot is delusional. I think we started fine, we were aggressive and moved the ball quickly with clear attacking intent, but lacked precision with the final ball in the first half. Then we were forced to sub on players who simply cannot perform, and that was it. Ole is still operating with the limitations in the squad and we have to be realistic about it.

0le

Better team won. Many of our squad players aren't good enough. That's pretty much it.

Ban

I think the management team bottled it a bit, too scared of Mbappe's pace and consequently set the team up too deep. They really struggled to build from deep and we should have been pinning them in their own half.

You can't just play more negatively against the top teams and expect to counter at home, they're too clever in Europe and they can manipulate the referees too easily. We were incredibly poor though, you can't account for so many missed passes really.

Marquinos impressed me, and particularly his array of passing. We focused too much on Veratti and let the Brazilian boss the game.
We actually pressed in the 1st, our final all was bad though. Completely fell of the cliff in the 2nd, I'm not sure, given the injuries, what could have been done differently.

RepardReece

If Kimpembe gets the red when he should, that game goes completely different. Pathetic referring tonight, inconsistent.

But none the less we deserved to lose. No momentum in attack at all with Sanchez or Mata. Missed our fast pace.

predator

Youth NITK
People blaming the ref just need to admit we got outplayed. What annoyed me was the attitude of some players- why do some of our players try and overdo things or try cocky skills when we play in big matches against good teams? It's like they want to make an impression of humiliating such opponents. All we had to do was play sensible and basically the same way he have done for the past 10 games.

All in all though we got beat comfortably. Mbappe is on another level and their overall squad are filled with good players. Add to that we weren't good at all - a loss isn't surprising.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Even first half, two injuries at half-time didn't help at all. We had some chances in the first half but final pass wasn't good enough.

Referee was a complete prat dishing out cards to both teams in the first half. Could have easily had to send off Kimpembe.

Started the second half poorly Matic and Bailly lack of awareness for the goals. Young was overexposed on the right with no cover.

Pogba getting sent off and the two injuries completed a poor night. Herrera MoM.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He had to make 2 subs on half time, how else could he react? Bring a static Lukaku on 10 mins earlier?
Yeah? And not for our only goal threat at that. Should have pulled Shaw or Matic off and got an extra threat in up front. Unless he was trying to protect our -2 nil lead?

caid

Disappointing. A bit familiar too. Our inability, unwillingness and lack of skill in being cynical feckers gets punished fairly routinely against these kind of teams. Its become a theme and were overdue to get with the program and start being sneakier, smarter and more cynical ourselves. Pogba should retire that trick were he steps over loose, 50/50 balls. He deserved a second yellow for it, again. PSG were quite good.

Treble

Shaky in defence and unimpressive in attack. Don't expect much better against Liverpool.

Oneunited26

This. Subs killed the game. Mata and Sanchez were shite. Sanchez especially. Mata simply proved once again he is no wide player. When they came on our pace was gone and that cost us.
Deadwood FC once again strike again, they are the philosophy and blue prints of glazer Woodward economics, giving contracts to players like mata and young just so they don’t spend money. PSG unmasked the reality and depth they have, and the owners appetite to be the best, while our leaches take the money from us.

PSG were without some key players and they still beat us, we lose lingard and martial and our entire system collapses like jenga. Deadwood fc cost us against Burnley, and from now until the end of time with the glazers owning the keys to the kingdom we are never going to raise our game, because the ownership keeps knee capping us, and they want to cut corners and spend enough to make the top 4. I don’t see us winning a title under this ownership, let alone a champions league. Until we start seriously investing in this squad, and ruthlessly removing deadwood like young and mata for starters, we are always going to be alsoran football team, they have cut corners since they have owned us, and tonight is a reminder we need investment

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't think so. Our high press was working fine until we got Lingard and Martial injured. We were in control of the game without creating too much but still in the game until the subs happened.
Don't want to see Mata and Sanchez again
This, feel we’ve been very unfortunate with the injuries, we matched them in the first half. I don’t buy this “PSG are on another level” narrative. PSG won without looking that great IMO.

tomaldinho1

A reality check we need, both as fans and as a team. People assuming we'd win easily because two of their best players were out, they are a solid team and although I think they are overrated, we are even more so.

Ref was terrible although correct to send Pogba off (he tries to step over the ball like that a lot and it was a studs up foul) - the fact the breakthrough goal came from a player who had committed about 4 yellow card offences was very frustrating.

Disappointing but this is our level. We don't have the players to compete with the top European clubs but we aren't a million miles away.

Full bodied red

Some honesty required here.

The likes of Rashford, Herrera, Young, Lingard, Mata and Sanchez are fine against mid table PL teams but are simply not good enough at the highest level.

We need to invest in proven World Class players if we are going to compete with the very best.

I think you're being extremely kind to Sanchez there.

IMHO, he shouldn't even be allowed to enter OT again, ever - just tell him to go somewhere, anywhere, and that we'll send him his £400,000 every week just as long as he never comes back.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
We are fighting for 4th place in England. PSG are best of the rest behind RM, Barcelona, BM, Juve and (probably) City. If there is an upside to tonight, it’s that maybe the owners realise we need upgrades, particularly outside the starting XI. Having first change options like Sanchez and Mata is a killer - both should start learning to use chopsticks.

:lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Bollocks was it a reality check. Nothing in it until they scored. Both teams were poor going forward, and as I said at half time, one bit of quality will change the game.

Unfortunately, it was PSG and the goal played right into their hands as they were able to sit back and hit us on the counter, which is where their second goal came from.

On another day if we score the first goal we win that.
This a 100%. It was even enough until they scored from a corner. Granted they were making better use of the ball. That goal then opens it up for them to counter us. Still feel it was avoidable as Pogba lost the ball and then Bailly missed the ball by inches when he had a two yard start on Mbappe. At one nil it would not have been a terrible result.

On another day we score from a corner and defend and then hit on the counter. I felt it would be a 1-0 game. You need luck in the big matches. They had it with the corner.

Jonno

Yeah? And not for our only goal threat at that. Should have pulled Shaw or Matic off and got an extra threat in up front. Unless he was trying to protect our -2 nil lead?
Pull off a central midfielder or a left back when we’re struggling to even get possession against a far superior side, Christ I’m glad you’re not our manager

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Clear our defence is not up to the job, wholesale changes needed in that dept. Sanchez is no longer the player he was, Arsenal did well to get rid.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
It was always going to be tough but after the first 45 minutes I felt PSG were there for the taking.

The injuries killed us, the subs finished us.

Id rather we brought on lukaku and played with two up front.

Ole had the look of a beaten man on his face tonight, hopefully we can bounce back and beat Chelsea and Liverpool before giving a better performance in Paris.

A big blow losing Pogba for the 2nd leg.

I do not want to see Sanchez play for us again.

Canagel

This, feel we’ve been very unfortunate with the injuries, we matched them in the first half. I don’t buy this “PSG are on another level” narrative. PSG won without looking that great IMO.
It's already annoying to keep pointing out something so obvious. We may have not been at our fluid best- they lined up with 6 defenders but they weren't threatening us at all and our defence was in control. We couldve turned the screw in the 2nd half but were stopped by the injuries

walkinhop

Habe people been watching the same game? They were nothing special and bar a few bad passes and decisions in the final third, the teams were very comparable. The ref was too inconsistent too. Couldnt let the game go but didmt persist with the yellows unless it was safe. A night to forget but with positive signs showing we are only 2-3 players off of actually being in the mix of the top group of teams

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ole got the subs wrong again I think. Tactically I think there's questions to be asked about him.
Not much on the bench to be honest after those injuries. Our back ups just not good enough.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Clear our defence is not up to the job, wholesale changes needed in that dept. Sanchez is no longer the player he was, Arsenal did well to get rid.
I still don't mind Lindelof, but we need two fullbacks. Shaw has been disappointing since he signed that contract and Young our first choice RB, god help us.

RK

Why did the ref take so long to send Pogba off? Ignoring whether it was the right or wrong decision I can't help being suspicious about the way it happened.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Marquinhos impressed me tonight as a centre back playing in midfield. Marked Pogba out of the game especially in that first half.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
As bad a defeat as I’ve seen us have to put up with in Europe.
We were outclassed end of .Totally overrun in midfield.
Big rebuild needed if we are to compete at that level again.
Be honest since OGS took over we have played the dross apart from Spurs who we were lucky to beat.
Reality check.
Hope Ole can get the heads up for Chelsea.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
They were pretty effective in keeping Pogba & Rashford out of the game.

Once we lost our pace we had very little to threaten them with. Sanchez offers absolutely nothing and hasn't done in all his time here, we got sold a pup there. Mata, for all his footballing intelligence runs like a 45 year old, isn't near this level in terms of quality and isn't suited the position he's playing.

Concentrate on the fight for top 4 and give the cup a good lash. Even before the red card there was no chance we're beating them by more than 2 goals in Paris.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
I didnt even go through the comments because this plays is usualyl very negative after a loss, so I dont know how others reacted, But I hope theres not to much over reaction.

I think despite our good form, we all knew we have many places to improve in our team, were just not good enough. Ole has done magic at the club, but he works with what hes got, and the players werent up for it tonight, and Im scared to think how it would look in Neymar and Cavani were out there. I god no criticism for Ole, if we want him to be our manager, and I do want him, he will need to go through stuuf like this and hopefully it will make him stronger for the following years.

Player wise, Sanchez needs to go, hes done, 45 minutes of losing the ball and offering nothing.
Lukaku didnt look bothered, coming on with his almost cynical clapping, looking indifferent, not bringing any emotion and fight. He CANNOT be our "super-sub", he doesnt have the character for it.

The tie is over, we aint winning 2-0 at Paris without Pogba, But I hope for a better performence, for the confidence.

And just to be a little optimistic, people wanted to see how Ole lifts the team from defeat, today was pretty bad and how we come out againts Chelsea will teach us a lot about Ole's abillities in this area.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Habe people been watching the same game? They were nothing special and bar a few bad passes and decisions in the final third, the teams were very comparable. The ref was too inconsistent too. Couldnt let the game go but didmt persist with the yellows unless it was safe. A night to forget but with positive signs showing we are only 2-3 players off of actually being in the mix of the top group of teams
Thing is they had a Thiago Silva, wish we had a Thiago Silva.

Unam333

Not too bothered about the Champions League this year as I feel that we lack the quality to actually compete, so the result is fine by me. We were outplayed by the better team. No harm by that. Under Sir Alex's reign we played some awful games in this competition and he is one of the best football managers in history.

However, I am a bit concerned what kind of influence this performance and result will have in the Premier League. Before, we were flying, we had an aura of invincibility, a belief we can have a chance against the likes of Liverpool and City. Now I'm not so sure.

To me, the biggest game is the Liverpool game. I really want a win. I hope the injuries are not bad and the players have still the sense of believe we can get something out of the Liverpool game.

Scholsey2004

The game was over as soon as we had to bring on Sanchez and mata who have got nothing. Both need replacing.

Josep Dowling

The general reaction really does my head in. One defeat against a team that is better than us and now we are crap again apparently.

‘A reality check’, really? Surely you all knew we weren’t good enough to win the Champions League this season?

‘Ole was naive’, his tactics were thrown out the window by Martial and Lingard going off injured. We couldn’t maintain the high press anymore and exposed our defence for what it was under Mourinho. It’s not Ole’s fault the only attacking options on the bench are two wingers that have no pace and a striker so out of form he can’t control a football anymore.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Young, all CBs except for Lindelof and Sanchez. That says a lot about our squad.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 405 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 PSG
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 PSG