CL L Champions League Group B

PSV Eindhoven 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 15 September 2015

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
I'm bitterly disappointed to lose Shaw like that, the guy's got back to his best and been our best attacking threat thus season, and worst of all, it'll see Blind move to left back. This is going to really badly affect our defensive balance, I just don't rate Rojo's positional sense, and the lack of pace with Blind at full back is a major weakness.
Why on earth didn't we play Rojo left back? He is way faster than Blind and and might even beat his man.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I'm shooting the messenger who has deliberately distorted the message.
You do know what " he went on to say" means?

I just highlighted that Scholes pointed out we were weaker compared to last year.

Not sure what your issue is but I suggest you find a copy of the post match chatter and rewatch it.

worldinmotion66

I haven't read the comments here but tonight it showed our weaknesses! Despite being 2-1 down we couldn't create anything against PSV. That's just not good enough. We made everything so slow and complicated. It's clear that this is shown clear in such a game. We didn't play well at all imo and should have done so much better on all fronts
Think people are underrating PSV a bit, they romped the league last season, have started well again and have a very defensively disciplined manager and hard working team. Against a team that just sits back and defends with 11 men, it's always difficult to break them down, but we created enough good chances to have come away with a result.

Taking Herrera off really negatively affected out rhythm, that was a huge mistake. Up until that point, it looked an inevitability that we would equalise. But had we defended better, or one of Smalling, Mata, Memphis or Martial taking their chances, there would be a completely different result and consequent emotions.

People complain that there is no plan B, we bring on Fellaini and play route one to he and Smalling, and people still complain. That's the complete opposite of the football we play, what do people really want? If we'd snuck a 3-2 win at the end, I guarantee there'd be people on here waxing lyrical over our performance, resilience, plan B tactics etc.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
the worst thing though is this could have the "Leicester result" outcome. I.e for all the positives, we got a bad result so it didnt work out etc.

We will probably see Martial on the bench next game alongside Herrera for some reason......
Nah, we imploded against Leicester with a much worse team. We showed something tonight we haven't all season - attacking intent, making runs. I think a lot goes down to misfortune today, then the horrible subs.

Born2Lose

That's not the first time I have seen Mata miss a sitter this season, he did the same against PSG and Newcastle. I do wonder if there isn't enough competition for places sometimes.

Felt a lot like Swansea, sit back and hit us hard on the break.. It's easy to blame LVG but it's not really his fault that a lot of our players dick around passing the ball back or sideways rather than shooting.

Lentwood

Annoyed at the result but gutted as Shaw will be a big loss for us over the course of the season. Believe we'll pick ourselves up and be fine in the group. PSV ain't winning another game imo.

Scholes, please stop slating LVG for once, just give it up mate and let us breathe for a day. We're not halfway through the season yet, judge him then. Man City spent far more than us and lost at home to Juve, so please have a go at them and give us a break.

Spot on. Scholes is almost coming across as bitter now at times, possibly wishes he was offered a role somewhere but wasn't?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Absolutely. Surprised people cannot see past the drama, we played better tonight. People decided to have brainfarts infront of goal
I disagree. After we went 2-1 down, we just didn't show enough urgency or created chances. Neither did we give up our safe play or play quicker.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some of the comments about us being played off the park etc. are mind-boggling. It's like people just have the same criticisms lined up for each game.

I think LVG is a good manager but he deserves criticism when it's due, the major one for me has been our lack of threat up front.

Tonight we looked really threatening and created lots of good openings. We didn't finish them so we deserved to lose but that doesn't take away from this being a good performance with lots of promise.

Pissed at the result but able to maintain some perspective...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Had we lost playing as we were before Van Gaal's second half subs, I could've swallowed it. Two defensive mess ups changed the flow of a game we dominated did over an hour.

Van Gaal didn't have the confidence in his philosophy to saw if we could turn that pressure into a goal. He opted for plan hoof, which looked disjointed and desperate. That's where he lost me tonight.

Frankly, I no longer have much trust in him. Borst is right. He's not the manager he was before. He doesn't have his old fearlessness. That shows in panicky decisions like that.

I remember drawing twice 3-3 with Van Gaal's Barca in 1999. This United doesn't have half the belief in its style as that Barca. The willingness to keep playing, knowing the goal will come, we just don't have.
That Barcelona team was better than the United team we have right now.

Likewise, I don't agree with you at all about LVGs risk taking: he's stocked the squad with talented youth: thats a huge risk. Just give the man some time and let this very new squad settle.

Not aimed at you, but rival fans are right that a lot of Man United fans are fair weather spoilt brats. This is a new era and it will take bit of time for things to settle. I have every faith that if the players can produce LVGs philosophy, we are going to be hugely successful.

acnumber9

I think we are short up top but I reiterate again, when you create that many chances, control the game that much and don't win it's the players fault, not the managers. Tactics were absolutely spot on. Are you saying you don't believe we didn't create enough to win that game more than comfortably?
The players he has assembled. Had he kept one of his other strikers then maybe they'd be more likely to finish the chances than a kid with 12 goals to his name and bloody Fellaini. The tactics were fine and we playing well until the manager changed them. Once again when we're chasing a goal we hump the ball into the box for Fellaini. It's shite. We'd possibly 4 decent chances other than the goal. I wouldn't say that will often be enough to win more than comfortably. Two for Depay, one for Smalling and the one Mata made a balls of.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
How do you know that's what he thinks? I suspect he doesn't think that at all. I suspect he thought "I have Radamel Falcao sat here on £300K a week and contributing nothing, RvP, on big money, declining at a rate of knots and will be unhappy to be a bit-part player plus Hernandez who isn't good for anything other than shifting shirts in Mexico"

That 19 year old you refer to looked better than anything I saw from Falcao, RvP or Hernandez recently and I'm sure LvG is doing everything he can to bring in another forward but at the same time won't sign a stop-gap just for the sake of it
Last year we had 2 world class strikers and LVG fancied a third.

This year we left ourselves with 1 world class striker who is playing poorly and LVG decides on a young unproven 19 year old.

Does that make sense to you?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Some of the comments about us being played off the park etc. are mind-boggling. It's like people just have the same criticisms lined up for each game.

I think LVG is a good manager but he deserves criticism when it's due, the major one for me has been our lack of threat up front.

Tonight we looked really threatening and created lots of good openings. We didn't finish them so we deserved to lose but that doesn't take away from this being a good performance with lots of promise.

Pissed at the result but able to maintain some perspective...
Thats my only criticism of him this season, he has left us short up front and it showed tonight. Otherwise, I remain optimistic.

As an aside, Rooney would have done very well tonight. It was exactly his kind of game.

worldinmotion66

Why on earth didn't we play Rojo left back? He is way faster than Blind and and might even beat his man.
I completely agree, although I can see why Van Gaal may have opted for Blind at full back. As expected, we dominated possession, so the centre back had very little to do, whereas the full back should have more influence on the game. Blind is generally the better technical player, and his intelligence may have been more beneficial in a more advanced position. Unfortunately, he was really poor as an attacking full back, summed up by the woeful cross he delivered into the stand towards the end of the game.

Hopefully Blind will return to centre back on Sunday.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I thought we played a good game. Defensive lapses cost us dearly. PSV aren't as good as I am thought, struggled in the EL apparently. That was an attacking line up and hopefully Louis doesn't lose his nerve after this.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Think people are underrating PSV a bit, they romped the league last season, have started well again and have a very defensively disciplined manager and hard working team. Against a team that just sits back and defends with 11 men, it's always difficult to break them down, but we created enough good chances to have come away with a result.

Taking Herrera off really negatively affected out rhythm, that was a huge mistake. Up until that point, it looked an inevitability that we would equalise. But had we defended better, or one of Smalling, Mata, Memphis or Martial taking their chances, there would be a completely different result and consequent emotions.

People complain that there is no plan B, we bring on Fellaini and play route one to he and Smalling, and people still complain. That's the complete opposite of the football we play, what do people really want? If we'd snuck a 3-2 win at the end, I guarantee there'd be people on here waxing lyrical over our performance, resilience, plan B tactics etc.
We were again losing a match due to stupid mistakes despite winning 1-0. And too many players did not play well enough to get a decent result or turn the game again. It wasn't a good performance, even if we'd drawn the game

Steev

The main problem we have is that we look fine when its 0-0 and dominating possession. But when we take the lead, and the opposition steps up their attack, we look vulnerable.

We should be closing out games like this and the one against Swansea. Not getting caught on the break.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
What a fecking annoying disaster that was.

What happened to Shaw is totally gutting, and then we lost a game we started well, not helped by subbing off arguably the game's best player in Herrera.

There is plenty of promise in this new United. All the more gutting Shaw won't be part of it for a while.

acnumber9

You do know what " he went on to say" means?

I just highlighted that Scholes pointed out we were weaker compared to last year.

Not sure what your issue is but I suggest you find a copy of the post match chatter and rewatch it.
In a post ten minutes later. I watched it live and I know exactly what he said. He was complimentary of how we played.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The players he has assembled. Had he kept one of his other strikers then maybe they'd be more likely to finish the chances than a kid with 12 goals to his name and bloody Fellaini. The tactics were fine and we playing well until the manager changed them. Once again when we're chasing a goal we hump the ball into the box for Fellaini. It's shite. We'd possibly 4 decent chances other than the goal. I wouldn't say that will often be enough to win more than comfortably. Two for Depay, one for Smalling and the one Mata made a balls of.
He might be ugly but bringing on Fellaini has been proven to be effective in the past, I'll also guarantee you hated it when Fellaini played against us for Everton. We created more than enough chances to comfortably see that game out and conceded through some really sloppy defending from a usual solid fullback.

Bojan11

The main problem we have is that we look fine when its 0-0 and dominating possession. But when we take the lead, and the opposition steps up their attack, we look vulnerable.

We should be closing out games like this and the one against Swansea. Not getting caught on the break.
It was the same against Liverpool. We stopped playing and nearly let them back in it.

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
I completely agree, although I can see why Van Gaal may have opted for Blind at full back. As expected, we dominated possession, so the centre back had very little to do, whereas the full back should have more influence on the game. Blind is generally the better technical player, and his intelligence may have been more beneficial in a more advanced position. Unfortunately, he was really poor as an attacking full back, summed up by the woeful cross he delivered into the stand towards the end of the game.

Hopefully Blind will return to centre back on Sunday.
Yes, but when we dominate possession Blind tends to move up to midfield and give a nice forward pass.

bpet15

How do we expect our boys to go from playing slow, boring, sideways and backwards football to creative, fast, dynamic football when we are chasing a goal. Even as professionals, its not something you can just turn on when you need to.

ManUArfa

I was quite encouraged by the performance today. The link up play between Martial and Memphis is looking like it's going to be something special in the coming months and years. Martial holds it up well be needs to work on his ability to do that in the air too. People want us to attack and throw caution to the wind and we did just that but, to win games, you have to be prepared to shut up shop. At 1-0 we should have played keep ball and sat back. We had the pace to play them on the break but they did it to us. We need to have that string to our bow in order to draw teams out rather than continually playing the high possession and probe game, whatever the scoreline.

Obviously Shaw's injury was sickening but I can't help but think that he's going to turn out to be another one of our injury prone, big, seemingly mindless defenders. When you're that size and that quick and then drive your way towards players like that then injuries will happen. It just reminded me a bit of how reckless Jones has been at times.

I agreed with the decision to bring Fellaini on for Herrera but then couldn't understand why we didn't keep him up front and pump high balls to him. We seemed to carry on with the same tactic of trying to play through them. Also, it has to be said that Valencia was cringeworthy when he did his usual stop and wait before finally dispossessing himself.

Anyway, we have to remember that this is a new team and things aren't going to happen consistently for us straight away. There are five more games to play and it won't be a disaster if we don't go through to the group stages this year. We're hardly favourites to win the Champions League.

acnumber9

Spot on. Scholes is almost coming across as bitter now at times, possibly wishes he was offered a role somewhere but wasn't?
He didn't have a go at Van Gaal and said he liked how we played. Do people actually listen to what's been said?

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Positives - great bit of skill from Memphis for the goal, Martial looked very promising, Schweinsteiger was very good again.

Matty7

Weirdly not arsed about the result. The Shaw injury completely overshadows everything. Probably the same for the players. Can't remember the result but remember a similarly insipid performance after Valencia's leg break.
This. Would have been on the players mind more than the game itself, just like it was most us fans. Just hope the dressing room wont get to down after this.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I cannot understand so many people going on about bringing Fellaini on, PSV had closed all the space through the middle and we needed to go wide and get some crosses in . Bringing Fellaini in was the right decision but our wide players fecked up by not putting crosses in

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought we were in general very good. Take out Mata add Rooney and find an up grade for Young. Gutted about Shaw was on his way to becoming the best left back in Europe.

sincher

Weirdly not arsed about the result. The Shaw injury completely overshadows everything. Probably the same for the players. Can't remember the result but remember a similarly insipid performance after Valencia's leg break.
Am absolutely with you.

acnumber9

He might be ugly but bringing on Fellaini has been proven to be effective in the past, I'll also guarantee you hated it when Fellaini played against us for Everton. We created more than enough chances to comfortably see that game out and conceded through some really sloppy defending from a usual solid fullback.
It has on occasion. There have also been plenty of times when it has left us completely disjointed. I know who I'd rather look to from the bench between him and Hernandez or Van Persie. I didn't hate it at all. I never rated him as a player. He's always been a so so target man.

Tonight in isolation isn't a problem. The problem is that it's part of a pattern.

sincher

I cannot understand so many people going on about bringing Fellaini on, PSV had closed all the space through the middle and we needed to go wide and get some crosses in . Bringing Fellaini in was the right decision but our wide players fecked up by not putting crosses in
Bringing Fellaini on was not a problem (though he didn't do well) but taking Herrera off was odd I think because IMO he was our best player tonight and kept starting the attacks.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We were playing well then our tactics went to lumping it to him which broke our momentum and they saw the game out easy in the end when before Fellaini game on it looked like a miracle was on the cards if it stayed 2-1.

No.8

Some massive, whooping overreactions in here. Yes, it's a really poor result but in patches United played some good football and just lacked the killer touch with Mata guilty of missing the best chance and being wasteful in the final third.

The Shaw injury almost certainly had an adverse affect on the team but other than the PSV goals DDG had very little to do. PSV were defending so deep, even De Jong was in their half for long spells, it's always difficult against that sort of defending. there was a lot of positives to take even though there's two massive negatives, the result and the terrible news that Shaw could be out for 7-8 months. I think the latter has clouded what was otherwise a fairly decent performance in places. We only started to play terribly when 'Plan B' was executed.

Last edited:

worldinmotion66

We were again losing a match due to stupid mistakes despite winning 1-0. And too many players did not play well enough to get a decent result or turn the game again. It wasn't a good performance, even if we'd drawn the game
Players make mistakes. Darmian has been a revelation since he's joined us, but a slight mistake has been punished tonight. It's not his fault that we didn't win though, we created the chances and controlled the game. Had we been more clinical, we'd have won.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom

For me PSV came across as a team that needed this game to believe they can cut it in the CL, even their fans gave me that feeling. They'll probably create hell now and we can do without that.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 706 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSV win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% PSV 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% PSV 1:2 Man Utd