CL L Champions League Group H

RB Leipzig 3:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 December 2020

big rons sovereign

It didn’t. But even if it did, it was our team selection that put him as a wing back when he know he can’t do it. Our full backs always tuck in to the centre. It’s fecking moronic.
As is standing there watching the guy run past you repeatedly. It doesn't take a genius.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Such a disappointment after a fine start to the European campaign! This is going to hurt our finances and recruitment surely.
Every year there's this obsession with qualifying for the champions league.
When like this year you can just have 6 games and that's it.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
From the first two games to here was really quite something. That third goal was pathetic.

MattofManchester

Two big games in Leipzig and City.

Got bodied by Leipzig.

City are massively resurgent if you watch them recently.

This might hurt. A lot.

VivaRonaldo85

BRUTAL

What a waste of the perfect start with those first two wins in the group. Those 3 points dropped in Turkey always felt massive in an elite group with 3 ‘big’ teams and one whipping boy. And so it proved to be.

As for our defence and GK tonight, I’m ready for Henderson to have a run of games and hand on heart, how much better is Maguire than Smalling? Maybe slightly or just the same..... £80 million.

Felt we also looked lightweight up front tonight missing Martial and Cavani as obvious options with 5 subs was tough.

Will Singh

OLE OUT

We lacked an experienced manager who knows how to get the job done, if we would have lost 1-0 it would show we played a tight game but to concede 3 goals is a total collapse from team and management.

I don’t see any consistency from the team, we can play 2 different forms in 1 match. I think that’s down to Ole’s tactics!

Banana Republic

Rashford at the end summed up how poor he is.
Pogba beats the defender to play a low cross in. The keeper manages to collect at the near post saving an own goal by his own defender and McGuire doesn’t get a certain tap in if the ball gets past them.
Where’s Rashford while that build-up is happening?
Standing flat footed just inside the box ball watching again.
No attempt to move into an attacking position.
No movement, no anticipation, no desire to get into an attacking position or try to get on the end of the ball. Nothing!

It was the same in the first half. Telles getting to the byline to put low crosses in and where are our forward pair?
One trotting around behind the play, nowhere near the box and the other doing his usual, just standing flat footed watching proceedings from his ringside seat just outside the box.

The cafe will rightly blame our defence and De Gea, but Utd are going nowhere without proper forwards and strikers, rather than the overrated, half baked bunch we’ve got.
Fans favourites escaping any blame.

Last edited:

GenZRed

We are the only team that can beat PSG away then lose away to a team with a weak champions league record (Istanbul).

United492

Does my head in how we set up for the opponent, reactionary, come at us, come at our immense defense.....hmmmm . Just play our game, as we seem to do in the 2nd half of games, go for it, finish the game in the first 20. Ole is on the right track, but he's too timid in his approach in my opinion and I don't understand his subs - why take off Telles (or Shaw for that matter) and essentially replace him with Williams? We know we've got to go for it in the last 30 so why have a right footed left back on for the final push who can't cross, can only check back?

Blows my mind at times. I'm Bip-Ole-r.

Rashford is 20% brilliant, 30% ordinary and 50% frustrating.

I wasn't that worried about tonight, thought it would be a high scoring draw. I'm bricking it for the weekend.

Judas

Open to offers
Even if we'd scored at the end it would have been a joke. We should never have been in this position, scrabbling around for a last minute goal to save our skins once again. We got so much wrong today, I don't even know where to start.

Tony247

First, there was nothing wrong to start with a defensive counter attack set up. The problem starts when you don't coach your team how to be compact. It seems the team was left on individual instict. Also instructing fullbacks to squeeze in the middle when being attacked is absolutely outrageous.

PoTMS

So Ole's fantastic achievement of finishing third last season meant feck all in the end. We end up playing Europa anyway. With 66 points, that's about right. We were very lucky to get third considering how shite the rest of the league was.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
And it looked so positive after the first 2 results. Ole needs to go,like now.

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
Absolute shambles. AWB is leaving the whole left side open, other than that I'm at a complete loss of words for how he played. Maguire and De Gea on that 3rd goal both should be at fault in their own way. Overall, garbage game.

Europa League here we come :(

Andi Latte

Whatever, CL was lost in Istanbul to our own arrogance.

Today only showed again why we have no place in that competition

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Shit.

Not sure if I'll be watching the Europa League.
Couldn't care less for it. Go for league and FA cup.

Im fecking ropeable. We were the best team in this group and we're now out because of the stupidity of not taking Fred off at half time against PSG and taking a bitch position at the start of this game. Ole needs to grow a fecking set and stop playing defensive football against teams that dont fecking deserve the respect.

HowYouDoin

I dont blame Ole at all. He is a PE teacher and everyone knows it.
Its the board that is content with this state of the club and when thats the case, so be it.
If they dont care, why should anyone else.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Easy to say in hindsight but we should have gone for them from the first second. They didn't look great defensively. They scored with their first 2 efforts on goal which was unlucky. Utd need some more aggression and purpose at the start of games. Ole is not the most inspiring speaker (putting it kindly) but he can surely find a way to get them out the traps faster.

yamo123x

Weak mentality.

Start playing when we are behind....and we nearly pulled it off.

For me de gea, AWB, Matic, rashford, lindelof were all poor.

Greenwood and mctominay stood out as our best players on the night.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Our tactics to score, to break them down were corners and free kicks. Terrible really.

Pughnichi

I love Ole, I really do, but he isn’t a top manager.

If he goes tomorrow, where would he end up. Back at Molde is my guess.

What on earth were his subs about? Takes Telles off when Shaw is on a yellow and not match fit only to replace Shaw with Williams. It’s mental!

chasing a goal with Mata and Ighalo on the bench and he opts instead for Tuanzebe and TFM. madness

damage was done playing a back 7 from the start

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
Sick of this team. Sick of Ole as 'manager / coach' or whatever. How anyone can defend this shambles is beyond belief. Match after match it's the same garbage. Not good enough and never will be good enough. Go, for the sake of the club. Please!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Pogba is going to leave as we all know, so what player do united get in with his quality?

Maybe time for a new coach honestly, really dreadful stuff every week.

van Nistelrooy

3-1: Never a penalty in a million years.
3-2: Handball by Maguire.

Can you imagine the injustice if we'd found an equaliser? Almost came via an own goal!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Awful, miles worse than West Ham performance.

Thought cautious setup was right. Like Ole, completely wrong.

But whatever tactics you play, if you have that defensive performance, you're fecked. How you can allow room out wide with a back FIVE is U10s level of shit. Felt a bit for Telles getting subbed over Shaw, who'd been carded??

Never mind Pogba (we can sell him and he played ok when on), Maguire is a massive problem. Too expensive to drop seemingly, Ed won't take a huge loss but playing him is costing us... doesn't lead, slow, poor decisions.

Greenwood 'ok' just, Rashford poor, midfield average to poor.

Only positive is how Donny played. If we can see that regularly, might help the league games... which should be our focus now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bring in Poch.
I want some defensive solidarity for a fecking start.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It reminds me of watching United in Europe between 93-97 and 04-07. A young, inexperienced team that has flashes of greatness but overall an incredible naivety undermining it.

But in the next couple of years at some point it's going to click.
Those teams were a little naive in Europe but great in the league. So it was just about making the final step to win in Europe. The current team is not there (yet). We need a quality DM and RW and things might change. Oh and Grealish would be awesome!

Player Ratings

4.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 272 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% RB Leipzig 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% RB Leipzig 1:1 Man Utd