EL W Europa League Round of 32 1st Leg

Real Sociedad 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 18 February 2021

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Fantastic performance that. Absolutely killed them on the counter all day. Such a shame we fecked it up vs Istanbul, we would actually be pretty well set to compete in the CL imo.
Not really, at least not yet. Their attack was useless and it still gave us some scary moments. We need to be much more compact defensively to properly progress in the CL.

Nickosaur

Professional performance, really good to watch.

I hope this means we can rest some key players in the next leg. Or Bruno at the very least.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Hard to see that, considering our record in big games this season. And, well, we had the chance to do some damage against PSG and Leipzig and fecked it up.

This Sociedad team is clearly inferior to any of the sides in the last 16 of the CL. And I'm very happy that we took full advantage of that, it was a very enjoyable night but I don't think it says anything about our hypothetical chances in the CL knockouts.
Well no it doesn't. Obviously. Jesus

We are hard to beat. We don't lose very often, and we tend to thrive against teams that attack us, which most of the CL sides at this stage are capable of doing.

Apologies for offending you with an optimistic comment about the team we all support

Gator Nate

Never felt threatened. See that Real Sociedad had 8 shots, 2 on target, and I only remember maybe 4. The two on target were easily snapped up by Henderson.

Ole set up well and everyone played well. Bruno was fantastic. James played a very solid game.

The defense did their job like they should and all had input to the offense.

Should be very relaxed on the return leg.

Infra-red

Felt comfortable - we should have had six.

Defence looks better with Henderson and Bailly instead of De Gea and Lindelof. Decent performances from Fred, McTominay and James, too.

Schmeichel=God

And the game I don't watch.....

Well from now on I will always clean and tidy the house instead of watching the game.

Treble winners next year gents & ladies...

RedIan

Excellent counter attacking display but RSO gave us far to much space to run in behind them. These are the types of opponents we excell against.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wasn't too sure about how this would pan out. Was hearing Sociedad were having a real good season and that's they're a pretty good team. That might be the case but we're one of the best counter-attacking sides in the world and today they played right into our hands.

Very good performance from the lads.

Siorac

Well no it doesn't. Obviously. Jesus

We are hard to beat. We don't lose very often, and we tend to thrive against teams that attack us, which most of the CL sides at this stage are capable of doing.

Apologies for offending you with an optimistic comment about the team we all support
Not sure why you felt the need to jump down my throat. I don't think I said anything outrageous.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can someone explain this tweet to stupid me?
Besides the negative tone, Stone wanted to point out that we've never been knocked out of a European competition after winning the 1st leg. The closest we came to that was against Celta de Vigo a few years back in the Europa League semi-finals.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
And in a nutshell, that's why United are the most frustrating team ever - I know football is a funny old game but we are often so good when we aren't expected to be, and so bad when we are.

Superb performance - so much movement and pace. Pleased for Dan James.

Real Name

Perfect European night. We absolutely steamrolled them and played some great stuff out there. It was easier than expected really. Tie over, we can rest about 8 players in the 2nd leg.

always_hoping

Turin remains a happy hunting ground.

I still don't see the sense of having 2 legs in the European competitions in these times.

Hopefully Bailly starts again on Sunday. Telles filled in well for Shaw. Both McTominay and Fred played well. Sociedad couldn't deal with Bruno, Rashford at all and a fine individual performance by James.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Hes saying it would be very difficult for Ole to explain to the media if we end up losing 5-0 in the second leg....not sure why he needs to say that as it would be obvious
Ah Simon Stone. The king of confusing tweets.
will get interactions since it is fashionable to hate ole again, see every thread on forum for reference
Its pointless hypothetical negativity after a positive result
Besides the negative tone, Stone wanted to point out that we've never been knocked out of a European competition after winning the 1st leg. The closest we came to that was against Celta de Vigo a few years back in the Europa League semi-finals.
That it would be a major cock up if we went out now.
I know all that, but instead saying great game, great result, he goes and writes that? 5 mins after the game?!
I guess if he wrote it like above, there would be not enough likes, retweets or comments. It is all about that you know.

Red Royal

Great score line, some really good play in parts, nice cameo by Amad but we just can’t cut out the brain farts. Bailey looked back to his clumsy old self again.
overall I am happy though!

Siorac

If every team we face plays as naively as they did, Europa would comfortably be our best hope of some glory this season.
I just want to avoid the English clubs, partly because I'm sick of them anyway, but also because they're less likely to be similarly naive.

bondsname

Fantastic game. Thought of skipping this one after the disappointing West Brom game, but glad I watched.

Fitchett

Excellent performance and win. After a crazy opening five minutes, that was as comfortable a win as it gets. Really enjoyable to watch, stress free for once.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 76% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw