CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

Smores

Remember when it used to be a formality that we won games? I don't fancy us to beat anyone these days we are that bad.
Not really? Never been a formality that we'd win in europe

Tough place to go and 0-0 is a ln okay result

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
We could have lost this so easily, yet we get away with a draw.

Not a bad result, not good either though. Now we still need to win al home, and i don't see how we are gonna outplay this guys if we decide to go out guns blazing. Mou has to be very intelligent now.

minoo-utd

Worst football I have seen produced by us. Plyers isolated, tactics are horrible. We know nothing called how to attack. Martial has to start games. Lots of things have to be done by Jose, it's un acceptable going games playing this way. I'm pro Jose but this never acceptable at ManchesterUnited.

MonkeysMagic

Evidence, as if it was ever required, we simply cannot play forward football. It’s no point hoping for attacking play when the players simply aren’t capable of it. Every aspect of attacking football from corners, free kicks to crossing is hopelessly average it’s s minor miracle we ever score in games.

PoTMS

We have a good shot at advancing to the quarters, but... why bother at all?
Exactly - we’ll just get knocked out the first time we meet someone half decent i.e. the next round.

acnumber9

Absolutely abysmal, there’s playing defensive and playing to nick it, that was neither. I don’t remember their keeper having to make a save in the second half.

Anyone who says “give it time, it’s the best we can hope for, we used to do this all the time under Fergie”, or just disregards any criticism as moaning, needs to give their head a wobble and admit they are lying about being happy about this situation.

We look as depressed and play as bad as an LVG team, who got rightfully turned out of the club for his tumescent brand of football. Why is Mourinho getting a free pass?
He got sacked for poor performances and poor results. We’re getting better results and at times playing better Football.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Too many expensive players not performing.

Sanchez, what has he done so far, I think the team is out of sorts when he plays, we play better without him. Cant see what he is offering apart from a good work rate, how long do we give him to put in a performance worthy of his talents?

Pogba, there was a reason Fergie didn't fight to keep him, lazy showboater who got his chance tonight and did SFA.

De Gea man of the match for us again, wouldn't be shocked if loses his passport in Spain and can't find it until the transfer season re-opens.

Lukaku looks like a man who needs an inhaler and a guide on first touches.

McTominay is at least making the most of his chances.

I love Jose, was glad he got a new contract but right now im starting to question if he is the right man for the job.

I want to be entertained, not bored to death. Moyes and Louis offered that, I hoped for so much more from Jose.

worldinmotion66

While it's easy to just say "we should be playing better football", and no European away fixture is ever easy, this is just unacceptable. This wasn't a Barcelona or a Real Madrid, this is a second tier side in Spanish football with ageing full backs that were barely tested. It's just not good enough to expect our fans to travel far and wide to watch this kind of spineless negativity.

We look afraid. But never mind, we'll scrape through and cracks will be papered.

walkinhop

0-0 really isn't that bad for a European away match. How often did we even play well in Spain under SAF?

Would've preferred an away goal though, obviously.
Would you people stop with the "remember when SAF did it"? It's such a cringy comparison, it's pathetic.

OldSchoolManc

My god. The reactions in here.
Have the majority of posters been watching United away in Europe for the first time?
That is a decent result against Sevilla.
Job done, wasn’t pretty but the home game will open up for us.
I’ve seen some truly terrible away performances in Europe and that wasn’t one.

Reactions: esmufc07

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well, pack it up lads. The way you lot are talking we're already out of the Champions League, Sevilla have already beaten us at Old Trafford, might as well not watch it.
They don't need to beat us at Old Trafford.

diplomat

Embarrassing game. Totally outplayed and if not for DDG + shite finishing from Sevilla, we would have lost comfortably.

Worst part is Mourinho will come out in the post-match interviews and say what a good job we've done.

daizi88

Almost praying for us to get eliminated so we dont get torn apart by the big boys. This team is so many levels below city, psg, barca its unreal! And we have the highest payroll. Bunch of idiots

MrBest

Fecking dogshit performance

Didn't understand the BT commentary purring over us at all, absolutely wretched stuff
Completely agree with you. Seville were very dangerous going forward but just lacked that final touch. Was no way as comfortable as they made out.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
United will pass. Sevilla couldn't score against a defense with Smalling and Lindelof but United will get some scares Celta de Vigo style.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No way to spin that. Underwhelming performance again. Fortunate to come away with a clean sheet.

Five of the last six have been away and we have been really poor at Spurs, Huddersfield and Sevilla. We were a tad unlucky against Newcastle. We’ve now failed to score against Spurs, Newcastle and Sevilla, probably not even earning much more than a single xG. It’s been a trying run as a fan to watch.

Four of the next five are at home though and I think we’ll see a much more positive period, despite the level of opposition.

Sanchez’s signing has done nothing for me since the time to deliver has begun, and that needs to change quickly for it not to have major repercussions on our next few seasons and the most exciting talents in our squad.

Steven Seagull

That was a scrappy Fergie style away performance, but I just feel the games moved on a bit. Decent result in the circumstances but we’ll need to show some ambition at some point. Unlikely we’ll get through many rounds playing like that

Barnslig

I wish one journalist had the balls to ask a question like «but why do you play such tumescent, slow, boring football?»

Red Royal

In Boreinhio I trust. We will beat that lot in Old Trafford. Like that Jose tapped up Correa for backup next year to Sanchez/Martial/Rashford.... need more options on the left(!)

Denis79

Result isn't bad but our football was. De Gea trying to find Lukaku must have been to most played pass by us?

Jacko21

We did a job despite being poor when in possession. Better team would've punished us though. If you're conceding 20+ shots to a team like Sevilla, then it stands to reason you could come unstuck at some point.

Will have to be offensive from the outset in the second leg though. Otherwise going into the final 5 minutes 1-0 up could be fun... :eek:

Sanche7

Sevilla - 25 shots with 8 on target,12 corners
United - 6 shots with 1 on target , 4 corners

How close are we to LVG levels of boredom? I say pretty damn close!!

Sanchezter

Never looked interested in winning the game, got what the team wanted by the looks of it. Risky if you ask me, considering we have a massive game against our biggest rivals a few days before the 2nd leg.

What's worst though is that it was so depressing to watch, particularly when City, Liverpool and Spurs all went away from home and dominated (I know Spurs only got a draw but bar 15 mins, were by far the better side).

Infra-red

Lucky to get away with the draw. De Gea was brilliant. Score draw at OT is certainly not outside the realms of possibility.

tony54

A terrible display from MU. I just wonder, will we still be seeing this type of display this time next year after we've bought
another two or three players. We need to get a core team sorted, one in which players are comfortable playing in.
The team are not playing as a pack of wolves in defence and in attack. We play like a bison being taken down by wolves with an occasional butting of the head and a few back leg kicks.

Brophs

The One and Only
Decent-ish result away from home in the CL - notwithstanding that Sevilla don't look up to much - but that was much more than luck than design. Which is why we'll probably go through in the second leg but get knocked out the first time we play a decent side.

The problem, increasingly, is that when United come up against a half decent side - and I think that might even be generous to Sevilla - there's very little there. The plan seems to be to keep buying more and more expensive and better players and hoping that'll suffice in the absence of actually being able to outplay these teams.

Dyslexic Untied

Don’t really care about the shot statistics, as most were Sevilla players taking shots from far away that De Gea dealt with easily. The exception being the header of course.

Decent result, but too much hoofing towards Lukaku who lacked support. Attacking with too few. Full backs too defnsive etc. McTominay had a good game.

Utdstar01

Only started to do anything in the last 5 minutes of the game and even that didn't result in a shot on goal.

Canagel

I just feel depressed. Imagine what the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern and even Spurs and Liverpool would do to us. Sevilla are shite yet we still needed De Gea to save us twice. Don't ever tell me our defence is good. We are a shambles and I can see Chelsea beating us comfortably on Sunday. Embarassing performance. Thanks Jose for sucking the life out of my club. LVG would've been proud of that one.

Dan_F

I love how BT are making out Sevilla are so poor and we’re sure to go through now. Surely if that’s the case we could have afforded trying to score an away goal.

100% we’re going to play just as cagey at OT, and end up conceding a terrible away goal to make it nervy.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw