CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Sevilla 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 February 2018

Sgeorge

What a poor offensive display from Man Utd. Jose really needs to sort this out, the players are there but the manger is inept. We had one good attacking play involving Martial/Pogba/Lukaku on the left which strengthens my feeling that it was wrong to remove Martial from the left. Sanchez has been running around like a headless chicken, loosing possession taking on everyone.

Positives were Lindelof started and played well. Herrera also started and played a nice through ball, showed some energy but sadly got injured.

minoo-utd

We can't play against the big boys in euorope this way. We didn't even defend that good it was a run show by DDG. Feck it I'm pissed.

Irrational.

Sevilla are such diving, cheating, dirty bastards. A team of Dele Allis.

The ref will have to be a strong one for the second leg. I believe we can do it, but it will be a nailbiting tie as a goal for them puts all sorts of pressure on us. It's so frustrating we had to play like we were playing against 2011 Barca. Liverpool and City showing us how its done away from home. They can rest players for the second leg whereas we'll be scrambling to get over the line once again.

ice-bionic red

Terrible performance. Decent result. Very, very lucky not to lose that game. I think we’ll get the job done at home but the next round we’ll be feckin screwed! No idea what is wrong with this team?!

FujiVice

Van Gaal must be sitting at home wanking to that display. Vintage Louis that.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Good control apart from the defensive mistake in the end of the first half. Decent result against a good opponent who has a very good record at home and a fantastic experience to play in tough European games.

I admit that it was not pretty at all, but you are in a good position. Now you have to deliver at Old Trafford.

devil in me

I can agree with parking the bus against world class opposition. But doing it where we could quite easily bag a couple if we attacked is driving me mad. That was god awful.

Stubble

tumescent dictionary definition ..... laboured, ponderous, stodgy, strained, overblown, stilted.

Don't need to add anything to that.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Pretty much the result we came here for, a shit performance nonetheless. McTominay being probably the best outfield player speaks volumes.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Draw is not the worst result. Lack of an away goal is annoying though. Win at home to go though,I'll take that.Come on United!!

Snafu17

Alright, does no one else remember the last time we played a team in the UCL 1/16 finals that was not Real? 2011, 0-0, awful away game against Marseille.

The trick is actually winning against them at OT.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A professional performance. Some may not like the fact that Jose has given Seville too much respect despite them having the 3rd best home record in La Liga.
Despite the rose-tinted glasses, but Fergie has done this many times especially after the 2000s. Get a pragmatic result in the 1st leg and then beat teams at OT.

More worryingly for me is how much better we looked once Alexis was subbed. Better flow, passing and basically, the players knew where everyone was going to be.
Jose will need the summer to figure out how to integrate Alexis into the attack.

walkinhop

On the bright side, we could be heading to OT down 3-0 if not for De Gea
It would be better to get a wake up call like that in the CL and hopefully change something in the PL. We aren't winning the CL anyway, quote me on that. I mean, worth it right?

Peanut Butter

That was rubbish. But we can win the second leg and progress.

Tough place to go. The amazing and beautiful Liverpool drew there 3-3 didn't they?

Foxbatt

Jose needs to get his act together. This is going all downhill so fast. Pogba is having major problems and Jose needs to sort it out or Ed needs to get it sorted out.

eggwithsideburns

Can't believe I was looking forward to that. Bad passes, bad touches, not a sniff of a goal chance and countless mistakes. It was a continuous stream of disappointing things.

alsabi

Alright, does no one else remember the last time we played a team in the UCL 1/16 finals that was not Real? 2011, 0-0, awful away game against Marseille.
Well, there was Olympiakos in 2014, too. That away game was nightmarish.

wolvored

Not sure what the problem is but we don't look good in the 4-3-3. Matic's passing was horrendous to say the least. We were really luck not to concede a goal.
We dont look good in any tactics under mourinho unfortunately

redshaw

Hope the moral of Pogba, Martial and Rashford hasn't been mixed up with signing of Sanchez.

I can understand it would with two of them competing for the same spot then you sign Sanchez.

We did look better in the last 10 with Rashford and Martial on but maybe it was fatigue on their part.

deafepl

25 shots for them, 6 for us, 8 saves by DDG. Damning stats, even if it was an away game. Ray Wilkins said Sevilla would be bottom 6 in the EPL? He needs to stop wanking himself off with the Union Jack.
Huddersfield has 19 shots against us last time we faced and they are 17th in the league. They are much better sides than us because we playing so bad.

Hamadovich86

Not taking anything away from Sevilla who played well and could've had three if their players knew how to head the ball properly, but our players are superior in ability. Its the manager's job to make sure that the team is set up correctly and motivated to play.

Also, you lot who say that 0-0 is not a bad result dont seem to understand away goals. We could get an early goal at OT and Mourinho would have us sit back for 60-80 minutes and concede an away goal at the death and we'd be out.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
We are a banter club we really are. All that money, all that quality and we play like some plucky underdog game after game. I was a big fan of Jose, was pleased when we finally ended up with the job but now, I am totally fed up with him and his bullshit. The whole Pogba scenario is a joke, the rubbish tactics aren’t fitting of this club. He needs to really turn this around or he needs to be sacked ahead of next season.
The smart thing to do would have been to wait until summer to offer him a new contract or not. But Utd are not a very smart club.

walkinhop

I just feel depressed. Imagine what the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern and even Spurs and Liverpool would do to us. Sevilla are shite yet we still needed De Gea to save us twice. Don't ever tell me our defence is good. We are a shambles and I can see Chelsea beating us comfortably on Sunday. Embarassing performance. Thanks Jose for sucking the life out of my club. LVG would've been proud of that one.
No need to imagine, Spurs already spanked us.

Manny

Grammar Police
Its depressing when you put aside two hours and then have to sit through that shite

We played like underdogs so Jose will go away happy.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This was so boring that even Dracula won't rise tonight! Seriously though, we got a good result only I had hoped for an away goal. McTorminay played very well, didn't look faced at all.

Fener1907

The constant tapping it around at the back and passing back to de Gea to hoof it up the pitch is infuriating. No confidence on the ball to move it forward through the midfield. Just lump it over the top and hope Lukaku can bring it down... and, well, repeat after winning back possession, because nobody's supporting him anyway.

Valencia looked like he shit himself when he actually beat a man at one point, as if he had no idea what to do next.

Marcky411

Same cr@p as against Liverpool. No intention of winning. I wonder how long it will take before he changes Sanchez into a defensive mid player, even now he already seems to be losing his sharpness and work rate he had at Arsenal. Besides being kicked around a bit by Sevilla, you wouldn’t know he was on the field.

cosimas

We look so disjointed, and not at the races at the moment. Something fundamental is wrong, and it seems to be getting worse.

Obviously it will take a bit of time for Sanchez to fit in, but fit in to what? Sometimes it feels like we have no idea what we are supposed to be doing.

Well played McT and obviously DDG. We need to pick our game up for the forthcoming fixtures, otherwise this is going to get messy.

crossy1686

career ending
I just feel depressed. Imagine what the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern and even Spurs and Liverpool would do to us. Sevilla are shite yet we still needed De Gea to save us twice. Don't ever tell me our defence is good. We are a shambles and I can see Chelsea beating us comfortably on Sunday. Embarassing performance. Thanks Jose for sucking the life out of my club. LVG would've been proud of that one.
Isn't that literally his job? Like, isn't that written in his job description?

Found this on Wikipedia:
The goalkeeper's primary role is to prevent the opposing team from successfully moving the ball over the defended goal-line (between the posts and under the crossbar).

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 89% of 702 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw