CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

BenjaminP

Winning the Europa League to secure CL qualification only to serve the worst CL performance I've seen from United in a knockout stage. At 0-0 you have Smalling and Bailly passing the ball sideways back and forth until Young or Valencia hoofs if forward to Fellaini. That was fecking tragic, shambolic, embarrassing. Some individuals including Mourinho should be held accountable for that, because without accountability for today we might as well change our name to Arsenal.

What pisses me off is how relaxed and calm Mourinho was post match, had the "shit happens" attitude. Woody won't sack him after signing a new contract be if Mou have any decency he should really consider resigning after that.
I agree with the first part. But I like how Mourinho reacted. Everyone is in panic mode, so he should stand his ground and at least pretend not to be in panic.

But after this match, I want Mourinho gone. Not immediately, but I don't think he is the right man going forward. It was really hard to watch those back 4 passing the ball all day long before hoofing it to Fellaini. He couldn't even win most of them either. No plan, No strategy, No desire.

Team Selection was horrible. I don't know what happened to Pogba and Sanchez. Two World Class players suddenly became too ordinary.
If just Pogba, i'll blame Pogba, but with Sanchez form like that, I have to blame Mourinho.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Game went as I feared. José is a poor manager and, with him at the helm, I didn't expect a win.

RAVred

:devil: Says it as it is.
Glad hes saying it, and hope its aimed at players like Sanchez.

A lot of our problems from the back would be solved through a great ball playing centre back, and honestly our full backs are not good full backs. They are make shift, Valencia was excellent last season or two but has worsened this season and his crossing is usually not good. I was for us getting new fullbacks in the summer as well.

Full backs are so important for attacking football these days... Thats why i'd much rather play lindelof, even if he's had his errors (so has Smalling), at least he can play out the ball through the back rather than just passing to the fullbacks who generally long ball it up the pitch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I agree with this. We even extended his contract ffs, we are a joke.
It was bizarre at the time and it's looking even more stupid now. I can't believe the board did that at that point in time.

liamp

I agree with this. We even extended his contract ffs, we are a joke.
It was bizarre at the time and it's looking even more stupid now. I can't believe the board did that at that point in time.
Think I posted this before, but the extension was for an additional year with an option for a 2nd. It's not too bad. The hilarious part is that they bumped up his salary to be aligned with Pep's as if he did feck all to deserve being paid as much as Pep.

Nori-

We cant sit here and make fun of Chelsea's performance against City or Arsenals recent form when we just witnessed THAT performance against Seville.

Absolutely furious at what I've watched tonight. I'm not even mad that we got knocked out, as i think there are better teams left who deserve to win it more than us, it's the way it has happend. Zero Fight. Negative tactics. No passion.

We have arguably some of the best players in Europe on paper, Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Sanchez etc and they were set up to play like West Brom???? WTF are you doing Jose!

I'm so sick of the football we have been playing in the last 5 year. First it was the clown Moyes, then Van Gaal with his 1001 passes philosophy, now its Mourinho and his defend a game to death tactics.

I might just still be angry from tonight but really hope Jose leaves in the summer, we get a positive attacking manager and FINALLY play the proper United way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Think I posted this before, but the extension was for an additional year with an option for a 2nd. It's not too bad. The hilarious part is that they bumped up his salary to be aligned with Pep's as if he did feck all to deserve being paid as much as Pep.
Although I didn't write it, that was exactly what stunned me too. Either way he's fecking us up, we sack him and his severance package is incredible or he stays and we're still served this shit on a regular basis.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ah, okay. Well, it's not as bad as I had feared!

I'm going to go stuff myself with Pizza now to cheer myself up.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What could he have done all alone against 3 skillful players? There was this moment in the first half when their keeper kicked it long and only Matic was there contesting the ball with the entire Sevilla midfield around him. Lingard and Fellaini were no where in the frame.
All alone my foot. He had twice as much of the ball than Fellaini and did absolutely nothing with it. He also was not effective in winning the ball either.

Verbalkint

Guys what happened? I had a funeral to attend and missed the game.

How on earth did we manage to lose? I mean the team was on a high after beating Liverpool..what caused this abysmal fall? I wake up and see the score and am shocked. This is a team we should have beaten at home.

NK86

All alone my foot. He had twice as much of the ball than Fellaini and did absolutely nothing with it. He also was not effective in winning the ball either.
Then you weren't paying attention. You want him to intercept, destroy opposition moves, be a playmaker all in one. Give him a competent partner and he will do very well. Give him Fellaini who doesn't even play as a midfielder and he will struggle all on his own against sides which can keep the ball well.

Matic was the least of our problems yesterday. Our players couldn't string two passes together and we played hoofball from the first minute. Mourinho is using th Liverpool result to justify his ancient tactics. The route 1 stuff works when the opposite team presses you like mad and you cannot hold on to the ball. Sevilla aren't that good at pressing but Mourinho is such a coward that he is scared of playing decent football even against Soton, let alone in the CL.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Then you weren't paying attention. You want him to intercept, destroy opposition moves, be a playmaker all in one.
Utter nonsense. Rather I expect if he has the majority of the ball in our midfield to consistently pass forward to feet, like he did second half vs Palace for example. Not long punts to Lukaku or who ever.
I also expect it to reflect in his defensive statistics that he was protecting the defence.

Yesterday Matic did neither. He was one of the chief proponents off pass side ways or long. His lack of intensity is also why he and Fellaini could hardly get the ball off Nzonzi and Banega. Let alone get Lingard involved in the game. There is no way anyone can seriously claim its Fellaini who failed him because he was no better alongside Pogba. He plain had a very bad day at the office

Last edited:

Adie017

Out of the CL too!! Now only League and FA Cup to win...

Damn, Treble is not happening this year as well!!!!:wenger:

backtowhiteside

Still think the biggest problem was not scoring in the first leg. This had Seville scoring at OT written all over it. I think we played well in the 1 half though, Lukaku was really fighting for us and he should have scored at least two.

In the second half Paul Pogba came in....I mean really..whats his problem?

NK86

Utter nonsense. Rather I expect if he has the majority of the ball in our midfield to consistently pass forward to feet, like he did second half vs Palace for example. Not long punts to Lukaku or who ever.
I also expect it to reflect in his defensive statistics that he was protecting the defence.

Yesterday Matic did neither. He was one of the chief proponents off pass side ways or long. His lack of intensity is also why he and Fellaini could hardly get the ball off Nzonzi and Banega. Let alone get Lingard involved in the game. There is no way anyone can seriously claim its Fellaini who failed him because he was no better alongside Pogba. He plain had a very bad day at the office
Put Xavi in there alone and he won't be able to do everything. You have this ridiculous expectation off Matic. Many times he looked up for a pass and there was no one around. No player available for receiving a pass. Absolutely shambolic from Fellaini who was strolling so far up field that he was basically a second striker most times.

It's so obvious you are boiling over now that you are going on a rant and having a go at Matic for not single handedly running the midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In all my years watching United I have never seen such a cowardly performance as the one I witnessed yesterday in the UCL from us. The blame lies entirely with Mourinho, he's quite simply a coward... I would understand if we were playing a Barca or Madrid and he resorted to such pathetic tactics. But to play in such a cowardly way against a average Spanish team is quite simply a disgrace.

We as a club have built our ethos and traditions on attacking football. Football that made many of us fall in love with the club, no matter what corner of the planet we come from. The performance last night was the most cowardly performance I've ever seen from us in the competition. With our financial muscle that is unforgivable, especially against a average team like Sevilla.

I personally can't wait to see him depart so we can finally bring in a modern, forward thinking, progressive coach who will align with our traditions of playing attacking football. Tuchel and Pocchettino would be the two i'd look at...

Mourinho Out...

Strachans Cigar

Until fairly recent times, a 0-0 first leg away from home was considered a good result, especially during SAFs reign but now it’s generally considered a dangerous one.

I’m not sure if Mourinho is still with the first school of thought? If so, was always going to be a dangerous strategy as we knew from their games against Liverpool that Sevilla have goals in them.

We clearly need more cohesion in attack, I think we have got the players in the main, even Lukaku convinced me tonight, but it isn’t knitting together quite like it should. Whether Mourinho needs a new attacking coach or simply some more time to get the best out of this bunch I don’t know.

We have made some progress though - the league table does not lie.

Hughie77

Awful, embarrassing, inept, and showed nothing for 90 mins, poor starting11. Not right at all and I'd tell Jose myself if I could, Fellaini in 2 midfield?.. Sanchez should get the hook at half time. Poor poor. Showed where we are in Europe with this guy in charge. Negative Negative .. does not win you matches ...

We were at OT for F Sake... put an attacking side out and win the tie in first 30 mins.. No this is not a reaction to the game but if we are to develope Next season should be his last, he has to get us to Quarters or Further in C/l or were just another also ran team...worst European display I've ever seen at OT... No wonder the crowd was quiet. Jose have a pop at them now there fault not his silly team selection.. Brighton a massive game on Sat.. trophy less season ? No Jose's mantra is it ... I think hes now in the over the hill managers who can't adapt to the way the game is now being played....why not go out with a 4_4_2

Quizierda

That's what you get when playing like a small club!
Another shocking team selection followed by an even more shocking (tactical) performance. Mou has clearly messed this one up.

We should have already lost in Sevilla (but hey everybody was celebrating the 0-0 as a great result) and yesterday we paid for that! Congrats Sevilla this is how a CL team should do it. United under Mou is an EL team at best and we have demonstrated that quite well this year.

Totally embarrassed by this coaching and team performance!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Until fairly recent times, a 0-0 first leg away from home was considered a good result, especially during SAFs reign but now it’s generally considered a dangerous one.

I’m not sure if Mourinho is still with the first school of thought? If so, was always going to be a dangerous strategy as we knew from their games against Liverpool that Sevilla have goals in them.

We clearly need more cohesion in attack, I think we have got the players in the main, even Lukaku convinced me tonight, but it isn’t knitting together quite like it should. Whether Mourinho needs a new attacking coach or simply some more time to get the best out of this bunch I don’t know.

SAF set his team up to score in the away games and even spoke about the importance of scoring away from home.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In all my years watching United I have never seen such a cowardly performance as the one I witnessed yesterday in the UCL from us. The blame lies entirely with Mourinho, he's quite simply a coward... I would understand if we were playing a Barca or Madrid and he resorted to such pathetic tactics. But to play in such a cowardly way against a average Spanish team is quite simply a disgrace.

We as a club have built our ethos and traditions on attacking football. Football that made many of us fall in love with the club, no matter what corner of the planet we come from. The performance last night was the most cowardly performance I've ever seen from us in the competition. With our financial muscle that is unforgivable, especially against a average team like Sevilla.

I personally can't wait to see him depart so we can finally bring in a modern, forward thinking, progressive coach who will align with our traditions of playing attacking football. Tuchel and Pocchettino would be the two i'd look at...

Mourinho Out...

Well, there's 2 schools of thought:lol:

We're going backwards! We're making progress.

Frankly, I'm not too bothered about going out though the manner was a little tame. We'r saved ourselves further embarrassment at the hands of one of the better teams and a 5-0 drubbing as was witnessed by Arsenal by Bayern Munich was very likely.

Our fullbacks rarely make forays into the opposition half and whether this was down to instructions or lack of pace is open to debate, but we rarely threatened last night. This needs to be addressed.

Another is the central midfield. I could see the logic in playing Fellaini but Sanchez trying to knit the midfield and attack was a disaster. Somehow we need to get the best out of him as he's hopeless the deeper he goes

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I remember thinking after Celta Vigo last year in the seecond leg, it was a poor performance, even though we got through. If it were Pep or Klopp or Poch, with the same players they would have put four past them. I can understand the difficulty away from home, but like tonight, we should really be dominating at home. I said the same thing after the Palace match. One of the negatives of Mourinhos tactics is that we struggle against teams that other managers would destroy.

I still back the manager but it is going to be more of the same next year. When you win the tactics are justified, but when we play like tonight, it is disappointing.
I am starting to worry about what progress we can make next year. Finish a couple more points near City? Get to the Q/F of the CL then go out, because I fear even with signings that will be it. Cannot see the style changing, that he will sign players to fit this style, not players that he can change the style. I just feel with a manager who has a more attacking style, even the players we have would look better and it is paining me to say it. Yes we won two trophies but we still have big problems and some of them are managerial not playing personel.

Revaulx

So let's talk about Fellaini then. What was up with his selection? Was Mctominay injured? Why did we change it from Liverpool with Mata on the right?
Presumably tactical. The strategy seemed to be to get the full backs to hoof the ball to him.

Not surprising that it didn’t work. Not really Fellaini’s fault; the midfield was crap with him in it but utterly shambolic after Pogba replaced him.

Inigo Montoya

SAF set his team up to score in the away games and even spoke about the importance of scoring away from home.
Yeah, can we now stop talking about what SAF would have done...or shall we talk about what Sir Matt Busby would have done...

It's conjecture. He's gone.

DomesticTadpole

You are correct in us being overly defensive, when they were attacking they had numbers in the box, when we attacked we'd be lucky to have 2 players in the box.

I agree with that. Even in other games the number of times say a shot is saved and there is nobody following in.

DomesticTadpole

Well, there's 2 schools of thought:lol:

We're going backwards! We're making progress.

Frankly, I'm not too bothered about going out though the manner was a little tame. We'r saved ourselves further embarrassment at the hands of one of the better teams and a 5-0 drubbing as was witnessed by Arsenal by Bayern Munich was very likely.

Our fullbacks rarely make forays into the opposition half and whether this was down to instructions or lack of pace is open to debate, but we rarely threatened last night. This needs to be addressed.

Another is the central midfield. I could see the logic in playing Fellaini but Sanchez trying to knit the midfield and attack was a disaster. Somehow we need to get the best out of him as he's hopeless the deeper he goes
You say you are worried, but then list a number of things that should make you worried. :):(

Darkhorsez

Sevilla deserved this over their play over two legs. No doubt about it. It was a strange game. Started well enough and then they took over possession and control of the game. It was as if we were bystanders waiting for the inevitable to happen. Mou should have realized this sooner and changed tactics and or players. He didn’t and we paid for it. I am naturally disappointed but going to give us one more season and transfer window to make things happen. Probably the worst display from us at Old Trafford as long as I can remember and that’s over a few decades!

Another thing. What will really be typical is that City get them in the next round and destroy them. This will complete the misery.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, can we now stop talking about what SAF would have done...or shall we talk about what Sir Matt Busby would have done...

It's conjecture. He's gone.
I didn't randomly come up with that you know... It was a response to someone who made a claim to the contrary...

Feed Me

I'm hungry

:devil: Says it as it is.
Hopefully he's talking about his best mate, The Haircut. (People are giving Sanchez stick, and make no mistake, he has been shit, but at least he does the minimum of making an effort).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Very disappointing. I really expected us to get the job done last night and whilst a score draw to send us out was always a possibility, I didn’t see us losing. Only our third home loss under Mourinho. There’s no shame in losing to Sevilla who have now won an incredible 18 of their last 19 European knockout ties regardless of their constant changes in personnel. There’s shame in putting in such a meek performance to do so though. The manager is accountable, but the players are responsible.

Mourinho made some questionable decisions after all: the selection of Fellaini after injury, Young at left back when we are crying out for width, playing Rashford on the right to accomodate Sanchez on the left. But any XI last night should have been sufficient to get the job done, or more importantly should have delivered a performance that merited the win.

People can use Fellaini as a lightning rod for criticism, but I doubt Mourinho sent players out there to pass to him in such a one dimensional manner. I doubt he told Sanchez to always play the more difficult ball. There’s a distinct lack of on field leadership out there. Lukaku has some, but it is difficult to dictate your team from centre forward.

I would like to Sanchez out of the team now. To say his United start has been underwhelming is an understatement. Ignoring the fact that his signing has proven to be one of utter excess, he’s not earned his place at all and is keeping better contributors out of the side. The fear some of his had once we saw him lining up inside left each week are coming to fruititon.

DomesticTadpole

Oh.. If you're saying this Pogue, then we're screwed. I always looked up for your posts to calm down after stuff like this (although this is the worst this season) but now you're saying it like that.
It's LvG football, except without the passing and possession, so it is seriously bad. We don't even have the pointless passing.

C3Pique

I look forward to City or Liverpool drawing Sevilla in the next round and putting 8 or 9 past them over 2 legs. Would highlight what a fecking fraud decides not to attack them for 170 minutes of football.

DomesticTadpole

Lost the match in the first leg? Not being funny but we couldn't win at home. Away is one thing but we usually back ourselves to get something at home. We got beat, we are out and rightly so. We aren't there yet.... People need to accept this.
I can see we aren't there yet, but where is there? People are expecting us to improve next season, but so will other teams, teams who are more attacking. We have scored a lot of goals early in the season, but a lot of them came late in games, we need to sustain these attacks right from the beginning to the end.

Inigo Montoya

You say you are worried, but then list a number of things that should make you worried. :):(
Yeah...it came across that way didn't it...:lol:

Let's say it's a concern..but not that it manifested itself last night. It's been ongoing and needed to be addressed. We'll have to see what happens after this season though.
So let's say I was disappointed but not shocked or really upset. Maybe that's the euphoria of beating Liverpool still in my mind.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla