CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

red_john

I honestly can't believe what I watched tonight. Im a fan of Jose but he got it totally wrong tonight. Did we realize this was to go through to the quarters of the fu**ing champions league!! We all know we can beat them if we actually tried but It seemed like we didn't want to. Im so frustrated it's unreal.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mourinho has done really well to make so many top class players (before they joined us) look like championship level players. An absolute joke.

gibers

Sevilla had an attacking skim and outnumbered us in the middle. All they lacked was a killer. Once ben Yedder came on that changed. We did feck all. All oyr players attack like drubks. No pattern of play, no nothing. Mou needs to get an attacking coach and observe like SAF did or GTFO.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I know I am posting long rambling pieces, but I will say one more thing. In the buildup (and as I said already I think the psychology is the key) there was too much talk of the last eight, almost as if we were through already. There is the oddest mixture of self doubt and arrogance whirling around Old Trafford these days. It's not entirely Mourhino's fault, its partly celebrity culture, its a lot of factors. The old guard (if they have any influence anymore) need to call Jose in and have a word.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This interview from Mourinho :lol:

Completely delusional.

ravi2

Yeah, that mis-hit pass out to the right-side near the end of the game pretty much summed up his night. Just looked like he didn't want to be there.
Hit the nail on the head...he doesn't want to be here anymore and it's showing on the field

nameischarles

Why did we start Fellaini? I just saw no purpose starting him. We should have stuck with the team that won us over Liverpool. I blame this first on Mourinho and then the players except Lukaku tonight, on their heartless performance.

GwilDor

I honestly put this one down to Mourinho alone. I’m not usually one to take responsibility away from the players, but i think today they were undermned by an overly defensive tactic by Mourinho.

Of course some of th3 players had shit performances (Alexis 1 half, Pogba, Fellaini i’m looking at you), but i feel that would have been different with a different approach/mentality.

Anyways, what worries me the most is that it looks like Pogba is all out of fu**s to give. Appalling attitude it seems. It is ok to be out of form, but it is not ok to not make the effort.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Can I just say we let in 2 goals when Fellaini came off :angel:

Ban

Wouldn't blame de Gea if he spends all night on Skyscanner booking his Madid flight. He deserves so much better.
I don't care what does he deserve. We deserve better, I hate these posts as if player is more important than the club.

ravi2

Between Mourinho and Pogba, I know who I would keep after the set up over these two legs. Sick in my mouth to see that performance. Yes we can lose. Yes things may not come off. But to set up like cowards at home to Sevilla.

Sir Matt must be rolling in his grave.
You'd think we were playing 2008/2009 Barca the way Jose set us up today, it was ridiculous

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I repeat what I said in the matchday thread. Jose had a plan. We were unlucky not to get a goal in the first half. However, once Fellaini went off, the wheels fell off.

You can see why Mourinho didn't start with Pogba. He was ball watching for the first goal, and kept losing the ball. Offered nothing in attack, nothing in defense, nothing in midfield. Just jogging around and kicking the ball out of play when chasing a goal in extra time. And the forwards had a bad day. Smalling missed that header, Lukaku missed an almost open goal, Rashford missed a header, Martial made the wrong choice. If we had scored, and Pogba not fecked up, at would be calling it a tactical masterclass again.

This is how it will be with Mourinho, no matter how much we spend. It's ugly and effective when it works, it looks very embarrassing when it doesn't. Today, it didn't.

Tincanalley

What's this Pogba stuff? He came on after an hour! people cannot wait to blame this guy, and I think there are other reasons for that. Pogba, to me, looks a guy who is lacking confidence, massively. No one speaks about what he is good at any more.. why is that? he is now a poor player? That's nonsense. The arrival and form of Sanchez highlights exactly what the issue is... attacking minded players, playing for a manager who does not know how to play expressive football. It's all pragmatic, defensive and frustrating. It reflects the manager... always look for a nemesis.. be it other managers, the press, even blaming the crowd recently.

He should apologise for this performance and take responsibility.
Yes, hard to blame Pogba and Sanchez. Focus is sharply on Jose now.

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
I think United is missing tempo and creativity in the midfield - the whole game was slow paced and without any creative ideas. matic was slow, fellaini didn't do much. sanchez felt out of place, may be it's still too early for him? In my eyes you can't blame the attacking players, because they were lost. yes lukaku did have a few chances, but nothing that felt very forced. I think united needs to improve the midfield and improve the speed on the wings. poor performance over 180 minutes :-/

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Just what position was Fellaini playing at all? He was more forward than our attackers half the time, yet when Pogba plays along Matic he apparently isn't allowed to attack.

Horrible performance, the only player to come out of that game with any credit imo is Lukaku.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fellaini and Matic.

It's obvious it doesn't work. If Pogba wasn't ready then surely McTominay even at his age is a better option.
They had a stand-in RB. Why not have Rashford running at him, but no I'll play him on the opposite side.

Tincanalley

I repeat what I said in the matchday thread. Jose had a plan. We were unlucky not to get a goal in the first half. However, once Fellaini went off, the wheels fell off.

You can see why Mourinho didn't start with Pogba. He was ball watching for the first goal, and kept losing the ball. Offered nothing in attack, nothing in defense, nothing in midfield. Just jogging around and kicking the ball out of play when chasing a goal in extra time. And the forwards had a bad day. Smalling missed that header, Lukaku missed an almost open goal, Rashford missed a header, Martial made the wrong choice. If we had scored, and Pogba not fecked up, at would be calling it a tactical masterclass again.

This is how it will be with Mourinho, no matter how much we spend. It's ugly and effective when it works, it looks very embarrassing when it doesn't. Today, it didn't.
Great post.

Austria-Red

It`s the hope that kills you. We had games like this under LVG and at some stage I even stopped caring that much and just accepting it. But now I felt that we were genuinely on the up. Signing Sanchez and playing good football for the last few games really lifted my spirits.

This games absolutely shatters everything. What a pathetic display. The worst thing is Sevilla wasn't even good. I can't remember ever being this mad at the team and the manager.

Winning the FA Cup is the only thing that would somehow save this season.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
While the so called experts were praising Mourinho for a job well done in the first leg, some of us common folk were saying that it was a bad result. Playing with fire were my exact words. Well there you have it, the negativity didn't work. Stoke should play negative football, not Manchester United.
Ive just said something similar in another thread and Ive said it all along. The longer the game went on at 0 - 0 the more it would suit Sevilla and the more nervy United would get. 0 - 0 away from home in the first leg is never a good result.

El Pasillo

C'mon guys.... no reason for panicking after going out from Champions League against Sevilla

They're one of the best teams in LaLiga and would definitely be a contester for a top 4 spot in Premier League.

It's not like the club were eliminated against fecking APOEL.

T_Model101

What genuinely were the tactics supposed to be in the first half?
Diagonal ball to Fellaini in the box for him to head across goal to someone?
If you're going to have two destroyers in midfield, then why isn't Mata starting alongside them to provide a bit of a spark?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
United need to make changes headed into the next summer. Whether Mourinho leaves or not United need two ATTACKING wingers their is not one winger at United who can go and take on a fullback. That is how I are up watching United always with wingers who can take on a fullback and make something happen. I also Believe United need to play 2 forwards up top Lukaku and Rashford deserve a shot together. It is a WASTE having Rashford out-wide. 2 man midfield with Pogba ( yes I still think he has it and can show his quality) and another box to box defensive midfielder. In defense a new LB is mandatory the center backs are fine as are the right backs. Spend SMART Sanches can be sold on to make money he simply does not fit the system and I just don't fancy him. Lukaku up top with Rashford both quick and one imposing and powerful in Lukaku and then 2 fast pacy wingers who can take on a fullback this team would be fantastic on the counter and overall on suffocating a team with offense. Rant over but this is just not the United I know.

Marcky411

This is a result we absolutely deserve, and Mourinho deserves all the criticism he is going to get. There are no excuses for starting a game you MUST win with Fellaini starting. He constantly sets us up in a negative manor as a team who has to contain the opposition, its no wonder Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and all pur creative players look so poor under him, whilst they have ALL flourished under positive attacking managers.

Awful tactics under a past it manager, I have had enough of United under him. To all those who thought that result away to Sevilla was a good result, deluded, to those who think Fellaini is a player we should have in our squad deluded, to those who think we have improved just because we sit 2nd in the league deluded. Season is over and not a minute to soon because since Liverpool away we have been dire to watch.
Fully agree, can’t wait till he is gone. Can’t stand another season of this negative football and dire performances. He is just another has been getting by on past glories. I thought after LvG things could only get better I was wrong.

Unam333

How we have fallen after the Ferguson era. Unbelievable. Ah well, time for bed now and don’t visit sports sites for the next couple of days.

BulgarianDevil91

How is it a great achievement? Your speaking about them as if its Southend or something. They are at our level and beat us fairly. I'm sure they thought they could too based on how they approached the game... They'll be hoping to go further too.
As far as I heard, they haven't gone past the 1/8-finals in quite some time, can't quote in how many years actually, so I would classify it as a big achievement, if I were their supporter.

svastian99

Sanchez still in preseason mode, has not had any impact on the game.
Not playing with McTominay was stupid. Switching to Fellaini for Pogba in a 4-2-3-1 was a serious mistake.
Horrible tactical, worse execution.

I am tired of this defensive style, especially when it is played without passion and courage.

Hamadovich86

Is Mourinho taking the piss with his comments? Seems like he was watching a different match then the rest of us were.

The Hilton

For me this was less about Mourinho, and more about the players.

They choked hard tonight, froze like rabbits in the headlights. They were all terrified at the prospect of making a costly mistake, and that stiffness led to the comedy of errors that were the 2 Sevilla goals.

Such a wasted opportunity, so disappointing.

Coxy

This is a result we absolutely deserve, and Mourinho deserves all the criticism he is going to get. There are no excuses for starting a game you MUST win with Fellaini starting. He constantly sets us up in a negative manor as a team who has to contain the opposition, its no wonder Pogba, Martial, Sanchez and all pur creative players look so poor under him, whilst they have ALL flourished under positive attacking managers.

Awful tactics under a past it manager, I have had enough of United under him. To all those who thought that result away to Sevilla was a good result, deluded, to those who think Fellaini is a player we should have in our squad deluded, to those who think we have improved just because we sit 2nd in the league deluded. Season is over and not a minute to soon because since Liverpool away we have been dire to watch.
This sadly

Judas

Open to offers
C'mon guys.... no reason for panicking after going out from Champions League against Sevilla

They're one of the best teams in LaLiga and would definitely be a contester for a top 4 spot in Premier League.

It's not like the club were eliminated against fecking APOEL.
Sarcasm? I hope so. There were jokers on here thinking we had a chance to WIN the CL, that was never going to happen, but we're easily good enough to beat this Sevilla side. We make ever game look difficult these days.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Sanchez looked awful. Number of times Young had to turn back inside because Sanchez stood in a marked position.

Jose was out thought by Sevilla, but not the worst part of the game. The worst part was someone in the upper tier of the Stretford end with terminal flatulence.

Get In Scholesy

1) Huge credit to Sevilla, easily the better team over two legs. They got their organization spot on. Excellent 180 minite performance.

2) We set up to score a goal and keep a flean sheet. We scored our goal, but we did not keep a clean sheet.

3) That starting lineup should not be utilized moving forward.

4) This is just a good gauge of our true level. Can’t be overly upset, it is just where we are at in our progression.

All in all, definitely a tough loss to take.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Yep. His lack of desire is fecking pathetic. Honestly wouldn’t care if we shipped him out and got a replacement. He’s got the talent but what does it matter when he just can’t be arsed?
He could be arsed at Juve so why can't he be arsed at United ? Maybay it is on Mourinho aswell ?

Ever think that this ultra negative type of football also effects the players motivation ? I mean someone like Pogba likes to have a bit of freedom, he likes to play with a bit of risk if you try to train that all out of him you simply destroy the great player he can be. Also it is clear he isn't in his best form and is carring a bit of an injurry, couldn't fully train and possibly just wasn't ready to be thrown in for this game.

But yes lets sell Pogba, lets see him become one of the worlds best midfielders at Real Madrid and lets all try to hope we will get a good replacement that simply won't come.

And lets sell Sanchez aswell because he has been shit.

And while we are it lets never try to buy a big name player ever again for this club.

caid

I didn't think we'd win it either but it would have been nice to see the team tested against the likes of Bayern or Real. That would probably be pretty depressing though

Roboc7

Pathetic over both legs, least it saves us from being humiliated in next round.

Hate the negative tactics and fact we rushed Fellaini back is an embarrassment, no idea what logic in starting him would have been even if fully fit.

Jose doesn’t deserve the sack but reality is we won’t get anywhere near city with him in charge.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
When you include the first game it looks even worse and we definitely didn't deserve to go through. Can't understand why Jose left Matic all alone in the midfield and decided that the best way is to bypass it with long balls. He lost the game with that move. The decision to bench Mata is also baffling as he is the only one who plays with a little bit of common sense up front.

The less I say about our star duo Sanchez and Pogba the better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We were playing freaking Sevilla. You don't need a master plan to beat them. Go out there and do your job and 9 times out of 10 teams with the quality we have will beat them comfortably.

They really aren't very good.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla