CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

TrueRed79

One of the worst performances in a big game from Manchester Utd since, EVER. Beyond cowardly. Can't believe a bang average team like Seville dominated us over two games when you consider the amount of money we have spent on that team. Just lost for words at how bad that was. Jose is certainly not the answer and 100% will never win us major trophies, tonight confirmed that for me. If he can't rouse the troops for the biggest game of the season against a mediocre team, then he's a busted flush. Wrong team selection and abysmal tactics. Let's wait for all his excuses.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Didn't Mourinho say it just a few days ago himself? That he lets players figure out themselves what to do in attack?

Couldn't believe my ears when I heard it but there it is. We just go out and try to score somehow, no tactics, no nothing.

First time I'm saying that but I hope Mourinho goes sooner rather than later.

TRD

So much negetive tactics from Mourinho. In fact he does not have any tactics apart from park the bus and play long balls to Lukaku. Playing so defensive in first leg cost us the tie. So much questions for Mourinho.

Why no pressing at all?

Why have both Fellaini and Matic? Both are similar players and Fellaini offers nothing in attack.

How on earth does Sanchez keeps getting games? Since joining United his performances are not what we expected. Should have been substituted off.

Mata should have started the match. If not he should have been brought on early in second half.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
C'mon guys.... no reason for panicking after going out from Champions League against Sevilla

They're one of the best teams in LaLiga and would definitely be a contester for a top 4 spot in Premier League.

It's not like the club were eliminated against fecking APOEL.
They are in fifth place with a minus goal difference. Have conceded 42 goals. We should be beating them.

Kopral Jono

Indefensible and it's all Jose's fault. If he leaves at the end of this season I wouldn't be complaining.

Rob67

I don't care what does he deserve. We deserve better, I hate these posts as if player is more important than the club.
Wind your neck in Ban. I know we, as fans, deserve better. He's the best keeper in the world playing behind that shite. He should be winning Champions Leagues etc.

RRCE

In truth, we got exactly what we deserved. We played cowardly football over two legs. Away in Europe, I can certainly understand a cautious approach. At home, though, we simply must show more aggressiveness. Sevilla wasn't a pushover, but was a very beatable team. We made them look much more formidable than they actually are.

As usual, there's plenty of blame to go around. Mourinho got it wrong, but the players have also let him down. The level of performance was pathetic. That's not all on the Manager. As we've seen over the past few years, we simply have too many sub-par players. That's part of the reason why Jose is so cautious in his approach - in my opinion, he really doesn't trust the squad.

Patrick220571

Looking at the attitude of some players tonight, I am beginning to wonder if they believe in Mourinho. It really looked as though most of them couldn't care less.

Even more worrying is that the worst offenders were Mourinho signings (Pogba and Sanchez).

Stubble

Fellaini started because the manager is obsessed with him and is hoping that by playing him until the end of the season he will decide not to leave. Crazy to start an 'average' player who is returning from a significant injury layoff in such a crucial match. I expect we will see a lot more of Fellaini and we will probably suffer for it. Saying that Pogba is even worse at the moment and is so bad and lazy i can only assume he is trying to get himself sold or is completely unfit. I also see the plan B long ball tactic to Fellaini/Lukaku has made a return - surely we are better than that !

Can't even be bothered to be vexed. The team never gave us a reason to get fired up across 2 legs. Just coasted, sat back and played cautiously with very little desire to take the fight to them. No supporter wants to see us performing like this. Something has to change because it's not acceptable to deploy such tactics and come away with nothing to show.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I feel embarrassed for the club. If it was a back and forth game where we lost 4-3 over two legs I'd happily concede that the better team won. That's how it used to be under Fergie.

This meek surrender and playing to nick one on a counter or set piece is Tony Pulis level football. We're better than that.

Coops73

And Mourinho just talked a load of bollocks after the match. Same attacking intensity as the first half with Liverpool? What? He’s going Van Gaal on us, if he calls Chris Smalling ‘Mike’ I’m giving up.

NK86

You'd think we were playing 2008/2009 Barca the way Jose set us up today, it was ridiculous
Ridiculous is a kind word for those tactics brother. The sooner Fellaini and Mourinho feck out of this club, the better. If PSG do us the big favor I will be thrilled. Let his take this shite of a stick football and try to get the likes of Neymar and Mbappe play like us.

I would throw everything at Levy for Pochetino right now. The guy isn't a winner now, but with our finances and his ability to improve players and style of play I am sure we will see a much different United very soon. We have the players but not the coaching staff.

A Gooner friend of mine warned me when I said Mourinho is perhaps the right man to take us forward. He said that in the very short term you may be able to swallow how his teams perform, but the moment results start going south there will be no pillar behind which Mourinho will be able to hide. At least with Klopp you know his team plays attacking football. With us it's cowardice at its peak.

reddevil702

People have been hankering for Fellaini for ages! I'm giving Mourinho next season to see how he's going to fix this before I start to flip.
Honestly for the first time I'm wavering on Jose, his tactics in every big game we play is just wearing on me.

Full bodied red

When you include the first game it looks even worse and we definitely didn't deserve to go through. Can't understand why Jose left Matic all alone in the midfield and decided that the best way is to bypass it with long balls. He lost the game with that move. The decision to bench Mata is also baffling as he is the only one who plays with a little bit of common sense up front.

The less I say about our star duo Sanchez and Pogba the better.

Don't hold Back !!!

Almost £ 1 million per week wages for those two, and for what ??

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm lost as to why we almost always start on the back foot. It seems logical to me when at home to be agressive and set the tone of the match.

gibers

Looking at the attitude of some players tonight, I am beginning to wonder if they believe in Mourinho. It really looked as though most of them couldn't care less.

Even more worrying is that the worst offenders were Mourinho signings (Pogba and Sanchez).
His teams usually fall apart in his 3rd season. We are way ahead of schedule.

NK86

And Mourinho just talked a load of bollocks after the match. Same attacking intensity as the first half with Liverpool? What? He’s going Van Gaal on us.
He has lost it completely. Time for him to collect his P45. If anyone can post his comments here.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He could be arsed at Juve so why can't he be arsed at United ? Maybay it is on Mourinho aswell ?

Ever think that this ultra negative type of football also effects the players motivation ? I mean someone like Pogba likes to have a bit of freedom, he likes to play with a bit of risk if you try to train that all out of him you simply destroy the great player he can be. Also it is clear he isn't in his best form and is carring a bit of an injurry, couldn't fully train and possibly just wasn't ready to be thrown in for this game.

But yes lets sell Pogba, lets see him become one of the worlds best midfielders at Real Madrid and lets all try to hope we will get a good replacement that simply won't come.

And lets sell Sanchez aswell because he has been shit.

And while we are it lets never try to buy a big name player ever again for this club.
Easy when the team is steamrollering the league and you have two midfielders working behind you and two defensive full backs.

Plus his performances were ok to good, not phenomenal at Juve. YouTube skill shows deceive his overall contribution.

Inter Yer Nan

A disaster all over the show. Even if we secure 2nd and win the FA Cup this pathetic exit takes some of that shine away. Just a weak surrender. Lukaku was good and gave it his all but the rest were shambolic.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
We still beat Liverpool on the Saturday, I'll take a shitty loss to Seville than from those scousers.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'm not even angry.

Didn't expect any different type of performance to be honest.
Didn't expect to lose mind you but it's not at all surprising .

This performance and result has to be damaging for team and manager.

Something has to change .

Might have saved us a hiding in the next round

bdspeedy

We can't seem to take a corner or a free kick to save our season. Pogba and Sanchez look lost. Sevilla ran us into the ground. Their passing and positioning were perfect. They pushed us, knocked us. Blocked nearly every shot. We were chasing them most of the second half. It didn't help that we missed a couple of sitters.

Houdini

Uwe Boll would be a better manager than Jose Negative Mourinho. At least it would be less boring to watch.

siw2007

Absolutely devastated with the result. Really angry at the players, really angry at Mourinho.
We have shown to be a strong premier league side and Jose has shown a lot of nous in the last few games with his tactics and subs, but we were shown up this time. We literally couldn’t get near them when they had the ball. They were organised, structured and intelligent on the ball, we were slow, clumsy and easy to defend against.

The players have to take blame for the lethargy, but Jose’s defensive system hurt us too. Sevilla don’t have the quality of players but they are a much more accomplished team with a positive mindset, we are still individuals.

Best team won over both legs. Was desperate to play a real, Barca, Juve but not to be this year, maybe we’ll be better next year in this competition.

GiddyUp

Massive props to Lukaku tonight! I imagine his performance will go under the radar considering we've just been knocked out with 2 absolutely horrible performances. But he deserves so much credit. Was our best player tonight. Was living off scraps and time and time again he'd get the ball and out-muscle 2 or 3 opponetns before laying off a nice ball out wide. Scored a great goal aswell! My MOTM for United today, really like the guy!
Should be given the armband in my opinion.

PoTMS

This was like watching Chelsea lose to PSG all those years ago. Cowardly by United, led by the biggest coward of all, Mourinho.

buckooo1978

obviously a pathetic approach from Mourinho

played ultra-negatively away

tried to play long ball at home

unforgivable from Mourinho in messing with players positions the way he did and lining a team up to play like that in a CL knock out tie

the players looked uneasy, nerves crept in and yes the players take some of the blame but the manager clearly hasn't set up the team to really take it to Sevilla in a decent footballing way

a fair result over the 2 legs realistically should have been 5-1 to Sevilla - In the closing stages Jose looked shocked and hurt - I hope he is...he should never approach a tie like that again

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla