EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

Jev

Played well against a great team. With more composure we would have won comfortably. We were by far the most dangerous team. A real shame about the trophy but encouraging enough going into the next season.

spiriticon

These players are losers.

Any team with a ruthless instinct would have beaten Sevilla tonight. They were really not that good.

TrueRed79

A CB, RW and an absolutely ruthless striker is whats needed. The defending for the second goal was pathetic. That all said, we should have won that. To lose 3 SF in one season is worrying. Not good enough.

Strats

We should have buried at least two or three more. Both attack and defence let us down tonight.

I'm glad we got the champions league spot. Now get a fecking rest, bring in Sancho and a defender please.

LVGSdive

80 million plus for Maguire and Pogba
50 million plus for Fred, AWB, Bruno and Martial.
And we can't even win the Europa League :yawn:
On the plus side the players get a longer break before the new season. On the minus side Dortmund probably added millions to the price of Sancho.

TrustInOle

Gutted! Both of their goals were lapses in concentration from our defence and a mixture of bad finishing and Sevilla throwing men in front of the ball!

Telling that Ole didn't look to the bench till 86th minute! Needs to be backed!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
First sub at 86 minutes.

We have 5 substitutes to use in 90 minutes.

Another day - we could have scored 4-5. But it was always going to be one of those days. It angers me how I’ve needed to say time and time again at how late Ole reacts to the team looking leggy. Sevilla has fresher players on, and took advantage of our tired defence with its shit positioning.

Make some fecking improvements to the starting eleven and a better bench - maybe the latter will make Ole less inept at making subs.

A-man

Very disappointed. We gave away two chances and they scored two times. Poor defending, but imo this match was not lost by the defence but by the inability to score goals. We can’t miss so many good chances and expect to win a match. Horrible.

Ekeke

Has nothing to do with the formation. We played well but poor finishing and a couple of mistakes cost us.

We need to invest in a handful of positions, that's what makes the difference. So that we can get to 60th minute of a game and actually have players that we can bring on that don't make us say 'ffs'.
3 defenders when you cant trust 2. We conceded twice on crosses, if we have 3 CBs we can deal with crosses better

Hester_manc

I do not know if I am too colored in my assessment of the match? I think we created enough chances to score 3 goals in the match and we deserved to win seen on play and chances. But Brian Laudrup notes that Sevilla were clearly the best team.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
They produced two good moves and scored two goals, kudos to them. We were creating chances for fun at the beginning of second half but all strikers were too hot headed.

Sevilla wanted it more but they had some luck not to concede.

Our record against Spanish teams must be pretty bad.

Superunknown

Squad depth let us down big time today. There is only really Mata available on the bench who can come on and offer us something different, or Matic to tighten things up in midfield. The depth options that we have for defence and up front is just poor. Ole does make poor subs, but this must be because of the options that he has available to him.

This is about where we are. Third place and getting into semi-finals. It's an improvement, but we're not "there" yet. We could get closer, depending on who we sign. But, we badly need our bench to step up their game. Very few of them provide enough challenge to the starting 11 and are so far away in terms of quality.

I'm annoyed more than anything with how we conceded those goals. They were poor and, unfortunately, our defence were to blame. Mostly the full backs, again. We are not going to win anything with the full backs that we have, or if we do, it will be in spite of them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
At least that Top 4 trophy is there as part of United history.

Jacko21

No need for an inquest. Great game. We played well enough to win.

Time to get ready for next season.

Addled

Terrible to lose this game given we had so many chances.
Our squad is not deep enough and even in our best eleven there is a lot of drift wood. Need the club to invest and quickly. Get the deals done, let the newbies bed in and be ready for next season. Also, cut our losses on some players who really have no future at the club. Time for change. Have we the stomach for it?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can a defeat be a win?

I take heart from the fact that it's not even a discussion that we were the better side tonight, just not clinical enough and a unforgivable error at the back

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We need depth. We have absolutely no quality for a plan b. It's no a popular opinion but we have one valuable player in terms of transfer fee that is continuing to coast through games and be absolutely anonymous where it counts. Its time to sell him and reinvest
Time to do that was last season. Wouldn't get more than £60/70m this window given his wage demands

Ibi Dreams

Annoyed that we didn't win that when we should have. Plenty of chances but every one seemed to go straight at the keeper. He did well to block us, to be fair.

Not really that bothered though I guess. It would have been nice to win a trophy but it will also be nice for our players to get a fecking break. They're obviously knackered.

Ole was fine. Should have made subs earlier, but we also should have put the game away earlier. He was banking on extra time and it didn't happen because Lindelof fecked up.

UnitedFan93

Season finally over.

Over to the Glazers/Woodward now. Let's see where there priorities lie.

el3mel

Pleased with how we played. Fred and Pogba look as if they could form a lethal partnership going forward.
It all feels pre season to me, im not even that disappointed about it.
How can anyone not feel angry after being eliminated like that I don't get this. We missed ton of easy chances and got sucker punched. Feck this, I would have preferred to lose normally or being outplayed. This is garbage.

The Hilton

Better team by a country mile, but we suffered for our lack of depth - fresher legs in the forward players would have seen us through

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Incredibly unlucky. Not our night. Just objectively not Ole's fault.
Depends who you blame for defensive mistakes and weak finishing. I guess it's on the players

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Deserved loss. We’re shit infront of goal and need Sancho. Pay the money and instantly improve us.

MonkeysMagic

Comedy moment of the night for me is the super slow mo of Lindeloff almost been scared of the ball as it floats over for the winning goal!

Semis are about the level of Ole, the sooner we realise that the better it will be in the long run.

Crashoutcassius

No complaints - go and have a rest and let’s go again. On the plus’s side had we got to the final we would be playing catch up in the premier league from day 1
true... still, its such a young side that deserved to be in the final. seville are the best side in the competition, we had a great chance to go and win it.

RedDevil@84

Need to work on our play acting and diving for next year's CL. Seems like a much needed talent especially facing La Liga teams.

Disappointed by our forwards, especially Martial, who seemed to be in form and supposed to have a much sane, cool head.
Anyways, hope the players can finally get some good rest and be refreshed for the next season.

DevilRed

Someone should gif the Bruno Fernandes and lindelof argument after the second goal. I love Bruno. Holding people accountable for fecking elementary mistakes. About time lindelof got called out. He lost us this one from the back. Not nearly good enough.

I hope bailly or Tuanzebe take his place next year. I always thought that was oles plan but derailed due to injury. I wonder if Ed will back ole and go sign someone like Upamecano

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Simply not good enough. First ten minutes in the second half were good, then we fizzled out. A game we could have won, so even more annoying.

Nick7

For all the talk of how Sevilla are a great side, they really weren’t tonight. We were the better team for the vast majority of that match. We threw it away.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Ole deserves to be sick simply playing Rushford even though he is underperforming is so many games.

Andi Latte

Wow, this Ole guy really IS a great manager. Didn't quite see it before, but man, 87th. minute triple-sub, genius. Then start whipping in the most hopeless of crosses. :houllier:

Other than that, same as before really. No discernable gameplan in attack, even when we "dominated" at the start of the second half. That's exactly the chances you get with that approach, random through balls that are so close to the keeper you need a R9 to score them reliably. Or Martial on his A-game, which he understandably can't really provide when being tasked with being the only attacker worth his salt.

On another note, can we now please buy Sancho, or anyone really, so I don't have to suffer Rashford starting for the foreseeable future? Thanks.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd