EL D Europa League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 2:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 April 2023

M Bison

Supports
York City
Freak final 10 mins, result isn’t a disaster as we’ll beat them away, they just got lucky.

Injuries to Varane and Martinez are devastating however.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Difficult result to take, until one moment of madness we were cruising.
We’re still well in the tie though and very capable of being them on their patch, big effort will be needed but even with the injuries we’re a good team.

BorisManUtd

I can't believe this game. We never control it after 30th minute or so but my God what the hell was this. Bruno's yellow card, Varane getting injured, 2 own goals with 2nd one being particularly weird and Martinez getting injured which is maybe the worst of everything (and getting injured after we made all 5 subs). Never saw it.

Our season could get seriously complicated now. Really worried.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Game should have been closed and done way before the final collapse. Out attackers lacked any killer instinct and our manager was horrendous with his substitutions.

Nick7

TBF, most of us knew we weren't a top team at this time.
We did well against Barcelona, but beating 2 good teams in a row seems out of our reach.
We can still do it in Spain. Gotta go for a 1-0 win.
We beat Betis who are a much better team than Sevilla.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Stings saying this but our recent history would show we're basically a glorified Spurs.
Always hyped up, sometimes on a good run, feel good factor in, and then abysmal performance/result derails our entire momentum.

doomy20

Let's see if the manager takes the blame for this one in his presser. He should but he wont
Blame for what? Playing Malacia when Shaw is injured? Martinez injury? Extremely bad luck on both goals? Making subs when we literally have our 50+ game of the season? His only mistake is not sparing 1 sub for a potential injury. Rest is on the players+bad luck.

With half the team absent next week and an on fire stadium we‘ll most likely shit ourselves next week and go out, I bet anyone on that. Fine, as long as we finish 4th

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Bad luck today, but we’ll absolutely smash them in the second leg.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Way too many subs by Ten Hag. If he had kept them on we would have gotten another i feel. Now its 2-2. Bruno and Martinez gone for the return leg as well. Rashford out. Yea we are in trouble.

Nick7

Stings saying this but our recent history would show we're basically a glorified Spurs.
Always hyped up, sometimes on a good run, feel good factor in, and then abysmal performance/result derails our entire momentum.
We won a trophy a month ago.

Devil81

The five players ETH puts on in the 2nd half were among our 6 worst players today. So poor decisions from ETH - he did not take this game serious enough. I am so diasapointed.

Eriksen was poor.
Weghorst was very poor.
Elanga was played so little this season, and then he comes on in an game like this :houllier:
Pellistri did not touch the ball
Maguire did ok, but was unlucky to score an own goal.

But the worst player of them all was Malacia. He is the worst left back, I can remember in United.
Malacia, he's been a decent back up. Bad mistake though.

LordSpud

Maybe I’m naive but I genuinely don’t know why people get at ten Hag for things like this.

We’re 2-0 up and he’s trying to manage a thin squad / protect certain players from fatigue. Had martial stayed on and got a knock people would have cursed him. It’s not his fault we have half a squad of sub par players ffs.
Also ETH knew that next week he will need to play that Eriksen/Case/Sabitzer trio. Think he wanted to start gelling them in.

Yet again though, a dodgy decision from a ref (booking on Bruno) against Spanish opposition potentially ruins the outcome for us. Same as the Licha handball in the first game against Sociedad.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Evidently sending Sancho on his mid season retreat has amounted to nothing and how on earth Elanga gets game time at this club is beyond me. What a deflating second half, even from about the 30th minute the team slowed up and stopped playing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We just don’t have the killer instinct we need to put these games to bed. We should have got 3 or 4 and ended the tie tonight, but we didn’t have the attacking threat. So much faffing around from the likes of Sancho and Weghorst, and if you don’t score at one end then you leave yourselves open to Maguire and malacia type feck ups at the other.

GiddyUp

I would love to see the away leg define our season. A win at all cost attitude from the available squad. This season was always going to be unpredictable but we have risen to the challenge. Blood and guts till the end of the season, I want to see this squad earn their place in a brand new Manchester United.

Jezpeza

we have paper thin squad and our fitness is questionable. Looks like the best scenario this season is a top 4 finish which is in itself a big ask. We might just end up with the league cup trophy.

Our second stringers won’t even get a look in for a championship team. You can almost see it on their faces - the self acknowledgement that they just aren’t good enough and pushing their luck.
I think if the injuries are bad we will have a reasonably arduos task to finish top 4 with the fixtures.

the amount of games is starting to show in terms of fatigue and injuries.

think the championship analogy is a bit harsh but we are just bang average past first choice in most positions and there are still gaps in our ‘best 11’ without several of them being injured/suspended.

Crimson King

What an awful night.

Not winning I can get over, but looks like we've lost both our CBs. Hopefully Varane was a precaution, but Licha looked bad.

I was hopeful for the run in - Martial and Eriksen back, Casemiro's suspension over. Then in the space of a week we lose Shaw, Rashford, Varane and Martinez.

Such horrible luck.

Siorac

The subs weren’t great, but we’d gone to sleep before they happened.
Yup. We were sloppy from about the 30th minute onward.

We still had the chances to kill off the game and Sevilla created feck all but as I said, they have plot armour. Absolutely ridiculous game.

MoskvaRed

Dreadful 60 minutes after a bright opening. That was a masterclass in how not to manage a European tie. We’ll probably get knocked out in the second leg and, even if we don’t, we will certainly further exhaust the squad.

sirAlexsglasses

We just are not ruthless enough, we seem to think we can just cruise the if we score a couple of goals. We don’t have that killer instinct to close a game and give them no chance on the return. Add to that Malacia and Maguire were absolutely shocking, Malacia messed up a scoring opportunity and then costs the d the other end. And Maguire…….FFS what else can s there to say. I do t get people blanking ETH. He’s making changes because we looked so comfortable and players needed a rest.

LordSpud

I warned everybody that winning the EL is a ridiculously hard task.
It required a Jose special and favourable draw for us to win it 6 yrs ago.
The odds of us winning the EL were low before the game today. Now, they are ridiculously low.

In saying all of this, it's not game over. It's an open game and we still have a good chance of winning the away leg, by 1 goal.

Either way, it's going to be a cagey boring match with both teams aiming to score a single winning goal. Like a chess match.
The bookies odds had us as favourites.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Unless Sevilla decide to be game-raising cnuts on their hometurf, which is of course likely, based on that performance we can still go through.

But on this game, my word what a mixture of unfortunate and self inflicted moments to cause that collapse. Bit speechless on this to be honest

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely insane end to the game noone would have foreseen.
That was a 4 nil game and cruised 2nd leg.

Two Injuries and a draw is a bit disastrous there.
Really hope the centre back boys aren't out for the season as a Maguire Lindelof combo does not scream solid.

wangyu

30min of perfect football then the fake feeling of being in control but in the end the experience and southern way of playing football got to us ( interrupting play, drawing faults etc). We simply fell in the trap. Next week without Martinez and Bruno and possibly Varane and Rashford means it is 110% certainly over and out. I'm gutted, it is always Spanish opposition that schools us.

Those subs sure didn't help either ffs

Barnslig

Evidently sending Sancho on his mid season retreat has amounted to nothing and how on earth Elanga gets game time at this club is beyond me. What a deflating second half, even from about the 30th minute the team slowed up and stopped playing.
Insane that Sancho can never finish 90 minutes, has he once played a full match for us?

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 203 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla