EL D Europa League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Manchester United 2:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Thu, 13 April 2023

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Was it really Malacias fault though? He could have done more to block the cross granted, but Elanga just left the attacker to run and went off in the opposite direction. Totally dropped Ty in it.
Never mind what Elanga did. You're a defender, you should deal with that ball. I'm confused by what cross you mean. The one that Navas made that deflected into the goal or the one that Malacia let go off that found its way to Navas.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

What the feck happened yesterday? Fromn 2-0 to 2-2. Couple of players added to the infirmary. Shite

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Has he even received a single red card with us before? And the first yellow was wrongly given.

Strange comment.
All the more to be careful l, if he could get booked for that... Besides the ref told ETH, who the feck are you to say he wasn't gonna red carded anyway :lol::lol: I'm sorry but your comment made no sense

Red_Aaron

I'm numbed by the result tbh
We started so well, 2 good goals and should've had more. We were cruising.

Sevilla are bang average and didn't deserve anything from the game but 2 ridiculous own goals and now they'll be confident of progressing. I expect the shithousery to be off the scale in Spain as per usual

Varane injuries have unfortunately become predictable now but martinez is potentially a massive blow for the season. Hopefully Shaw can get back fit as I'd rather he deputise long term at CB than Harry/Victor

The Bruno booking was the rotten cherry on top - absolute non decision robbing us of such a key player.

What should have been a formality is now a real tough ask. So frustrating

crossy1686

career ending
I don't even care about the result to be honest, it's the injuries that worry me. That coupled with our run in will make top 4 very difficult.

Chungy

Has he even received a single red card with us before? And the first yellow was wrongly given.

Strange comment.
Think Casemiro's yellow from Crystal Palace & subsequent suspension........
And when would Eriksen get his minutes to replace Bruno? Or do you think just one match is enough for match fitness?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Think Casemiro's yellow from Crystal Palace & subsequent suspension........
And when would Eriksen get his minutes to replace Bruno? Or do you think just one match is enough for match fitness?
Besides if the ref warns the manager that he is close to be booked again then who are we to deny the chance of that actually happening ? Personally I'd have preferred if Bruno stayed on the pitch but I understand ETH

Judas

Open to offers
I don't even care about the result to be honest, it's the injuries that worry me. That coupled with our run in will make top 4 very difficult.
Yeah on reflection this morning, it's the injuries that are my major concern. I've been quite bullish all along that we'd get top 4, still think we'll drag ourselves over the line, but these latest injuries are a killer and are going to test the fringe players of this squad, which lets face it, have let us down time and time again.

justsomebloke

Hi edgecutter,

No. I can't explain to you why Elanga is used. I can only think ETH thought the came was won, so playing utter tripe maybe saved a player and put him in the shop window.
He's played because he's the only bench option on the left side.

justsomebloke

Whisper it, but the managers changes cost us the game. No reason to make those at the time - Bruno was already out of second leg, lindelof should be ahead of Maguire, Malacia should have been brought off at HT - Dalit can play LB. But the feeling is that the majority won’t critiue ETH until he’s on a 4 game losing run in 2 years time.

make no mistake, against a team 13th in la liga, at home and considering how the game went, that’s a shocking result. We are coupling having 20+ shots and only scoring 2 with conceding 2 despite the opposition performing poorly - that’s not a good habit.
Pfft. Bruno would have missed another game with a red, no? Maguire was in my view really good, that was the right call. Not sure there was a very obvious case that Dalot would be a better bet than Malacia improving on the left.

Hampshire Rec

Same old same old if you don’t take your chances it can and will bite you on the ass!
Other teams would have went on to score 3 or 4 and we just take the foot off the gas!
We have to be ruthless and flatten teams
I don’t see how we are unable to keep the speed and pressure on for for both half’s
we should be going there with the game won but instead we have 90 mins on a knife edge!

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Team spirit in second half, or even at the end of first half was poor.

We had no connexion between lines, players were just not running together. We had Malacia losing every ball he had, Casemiro and Bruno were both running for nothing losing almost every ball too. Sancho was an absolute ghost and to be honest Ten Hag's coaching was not good.

I mean we could clearly see that Bruno was not doing good in that position of 8, having a yellow and being nervous, not touching any balls and losing the few ones he had. He replaced him by Eriksen. I don't get it. You are outplayed there, why don't play Fred who will bring more intensity next to Case, and bring Eriksen further up. With potentially Bruno on the left (defending on a poor Montiel).

And since we were not on the ball, why don't play Elanga as a striker just to run ? Weghorst is a good boy but he is done since a few weeks and doesn't bring anything to the team.

I mean his 3 changes just brang more uncertainty to the team, it was an absolute wrong decision by him.

I am clearly not confident about the second leg, as well as the remaining of the season without Licha

Josh 76

Team spirit in second half, or even at the end of first half was poor.

We had no connexion between lines, players were just not running together. We had Malacia losing every ball he had, Casemiro and Bruno were both running for nothing losing almost every ball too. Sancho was an absolute ghost and to be honest Ten Hag's coaching was not good.

I mean we could clearly see that Bruno was not doing good in that position of 8, having a yellow and being nervous, not touching any balls and losing the few ones he had. He replaced him by Eriksen. I don't get it. You are outplayed there, why don't play Fred who will bring more intensity next to Case, and bring Eriksen further up. With potentially Bruno on the left (defending on a poor Montiel).

And since we were not on the ball, why don't play Elanga as a striker just to run ? Weghorst is a good boy but he is done since a few weeks and doesn't bring anything to the team.

I mean his 3 changes just brang more uncertainty to the team, it was an absolute wrong decision by him.

I am clearly not confident about the second leg, as well as the remaining of the season without Licha
Thanks for reminding us Weghorst is a good honest lad.

Kinky Melinky

This game reminded me of how all of my Football Manager 2021 saves go, and it's beyond infuriating.

Godfather

Really good first half (in parts). Poor in the second for the most part. Coupled with two of the jammiest goals you will see all season. We can still go through I feel but the injuries to Varane and Martinez are a real bummer

astracrazy

Bit of a poor excuse to be honest from ETH. A quick word with Bruno to show a bit more restrain would have sufficed
And if they both got sent off and you found out ETH was warned about it you'd be saying why didn't he take them off...

Reactions: Cheimoon

justsomebloke

Knowing full well the futility of discussing the match ratings on here, I can't resist a couple of comments.

WTF Wan-Bissaka 5.9 ? I thought he was solid yesterday, certainly our best defender.

And okay, Sabitzer scored two beautiful and crucial goals and that should be reflected in his rating, but he also showed very little for the rest of the game. I think Martial and Antony both had better games than he had. Yet he's a full point ahead of them.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maybe I’m naive but I genuinely don’t know why people get at ten Hag for things like this.

We’re 2-0 up and he’s trying to manage a thin squad / protect certain players from fatigue. Had martial stayed on and got a knock people would have cursed him. It’s not his fault we have half a squad of sub par players ffs.
Exactly.

Kinky Melinky

Knowing full well the futility of discussing the match ratings on here, I can't resist a couple of comments.

WTF Wan-Bissaka 5.9 ? I thought he was solid yesterday, certainly our best defender.

And okay, Sabitzer scored two beautiful and crucial goals and that should be reflected in his rating, but he also showed very little for the rest of the game. I think Martial and Antony both had better games than he had. Yet he's a full point ahead of them.
Welcome to the Caf. Enjoy your stay :D

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Didn’t appreciate quite how rotated Sevilla’s team was last night with their eyes firmly on the relegation scrap.

They’ve only lost at home once since the World Cup, but not played anyone higher than Osasuna in 8th, who they lost to. They only won once at home prior to the World Cup and lost to everyone decent.

SteveCoppellFan

Just another example to show we are not quite there yet.

We hardly ever score over 3 goals in a game regardless of how well we might play.

Can play very well for periods in a game but can also drop away badly for no real reason.

Squad just not strong enough yet and we painfully need a proper striker.

Unam333

Even with the injuries we are better than them. I'm confident we will get a win next week. We need to stay focused, improve on our passing and keep a cool head. Don't get sucked into their play acting like we did in the second half, because we know Spanish teams like to disrupt a game's tempo.

Andre Kagawa

What an absolute disaster this turned into. Unbelievably unlucky. I'd like to think we have the squad to handle it, but who the feck knows honestly

James35

Bringing on Elanga and Weghorst just shows how with a few injuries we are having to bring on players who would struggle to score versus a San Marino team down to 9 men.

I don’t buy the Bruno second yellow excuse, EtH could have just instructed Bruno, his chosen captain, to chill a bit. I just think he wanted to give Eriksen the minutes, which he clearly showed are needed and just over estimated our chances of seeing out the game. The other two that came on made us considerably worse also. Obviously the injury to Martinez was very unfortunate but Sevilla were all over us in the last 30 minutes.

I think this next week or so will determine whether this season is ending with a whimper. We have to beat Forest away, Seville away and Brighton at Wembley. Potentially all with a calamitous defence and our top scorer missing.

sugar_kane

Surreal game. After the first half it looked like it was going to be a stroll and a formality. I was sat in complete disbelief when their equaliser went in wondering what the hell just happened.

I'm sorry to say it as I'm a massive fan of his, but Ten Hag let Sevilla back into the game with that triple substitution. Eriksen, fine (even though we're far better with Bruno on the pitch) as he needs the minutes but Weghorst & Elanga at the same time with 30 minutes to go? One of them maybe to save Martial's legs or to remove Sancho who was stinking out Old Trafford but doing it all at once completely changed the dynamic of the game in Sevilla's favour.

I'm going to put his occasional bizarre decisions down as the price of being led by someone with such precocious talent. Occasionally they will do something really weird that will completely feck things up. You just have to have faith that 95% of the time they'll get it right.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Our season is in danger of imploding. Why the hell do we take our foot of the gas? why the hell are we incapable of playing well in both halves of a game?

OK, the second goal was a fluke, the header was going nearer the goal at the Etihad than at OT but the first was like watching an U-11 game. Awful from Malacia and even after that DDG should have save it (no chance with the equaliser). I said I was worried about the game and, as ever, was mocked here...

And now, we have the injuries - it was amazing how soon the defence started to panic after Varane went off. Given the players missing, I can't see us winning at Spurs or Brighton - which are think are vital - or at Wembley

Gaidal

A ref who quite easily have given Antony a red card, twice, but didn't. Are you counting that as part of his poor performance ?
If kicking someone in the face isnt a red, nothing Antony did should be a red.

justsomebloke

Surreal game. After the first half it looked like it was going to be a stroll and a formality. I was sat in complete disbelief when their equaliser went in wondering what the hell just happened.

I'm sorry to say it as I'm a massive fan of his, but Ten Hag let Sevilla back into the game with that triple substitution. Eriksen, fine (even though we're far better with Bruno on the pitch) as he needs the minutes but Weghorst & Elanga at the same time with 30 minutes to go? One of them maybe to save Martial's legs or to remove Sancho who was stinking out Old Trafford but doing it all at once completely changed the dynamic of the game in Sevilla's favour.

I'm going to put his occasional bizarre decisions down as the price of being led by someone with such precocious talent. Occasionally they will do something really weird that will completely feck things up. You just have to have faith that 95% of the time they'll get it right.
Bringing on Elanga and Weghorst just shows how with a few injuries we are having to bring on players who would struggle to score versus a San Marino team down to 9 men.

I don’t buy the Bruno second yellow excuse, EtH could have just instructed Bruno, his chosen captain, to chill a bit. I just think he wanted to give Eriksen the minutes, which he clearly showed are needed and just over estimated our chances of seeing out the game. The other two that came on made us considerably worse also. Obviously the injury to Martinez was very unfortunate but Sevilla were all over us in the last 30 minutes.

I think this next week or so will determine whether this season is ending with a whimper. We have to beat Forest away, Seville away and Brighton at Wembley. Potentially all with a calamitous defence and our top scorer missing.
Okay. Second-guessing substitutions with knowledge of the outcome in hand is an exercise of questionable usefulness at the best of times, but if you're also prepared to just discount the manager's stated reasons for why he made them, it's really getting a bit absurd.

Matthew84!

I don't think 2-2 in all is a bad result, was always going to be hard, Utd should of easily won which makes it annoying but makes the second leg interesting.
Fingers crossed Rashford is back for the second leg even as a sub,
Ideally Varane injury is only minor and hoping for the best for Martinez.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Feck me what an appalling last 60 mins of that game.

We got complacent and lazy. Thought it was tie over. They got lucky with the goals but we allowed them into dangerous situations with a lack of intensity, awful passing and no desire to crush Sevilla in this tie.
Yes. Very much so.
United players have a habit of becoming complacent and reducing intensity and the opposition are well aware of that.
Is it complacency or is it that they are only able to play at a high intensity for 25 minutes.
Probably a bit of both if I am being charitable.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah on reflection this morning, it's the injuries that are my major concern. I've been quite bullish all along that we'd get top 4, still think we'll drag ourselves over the line, but these latest injuries are a killer and are going to test the fringe players of this squad, which lets face it, have let us down time and time again.
Completely agree with you.

Gopher Brown

Someone needs to remind these players that a match is 90min long. It’s no good playing brilliantly for 25min then coasting for the rest of it - this is what happens

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 203 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 14% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla