PL D FA Premier League

Sheffield United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 24 November 2019

tony54

We weren't up to Sheffield's physicality, a prime example is big strong Jones being pushed of the ball. It was good to see a good strong shoulder charge but surprised no commenter suggested it was a fouling push off the ball.
And we got rid of smalling and kept Jones, jeez.
I still can't forgive Ollie for not keeping Herrera and fellaini but suspect they were so pissed off with the rubbish football being played anyway.

Zen86

We’re lacking quality in midfield, which was obvious before the season kicked off. We were second best throughout most of the game but it’s great to see the younger players not giving up.

90 + 5min

Stop with that nonsens about us only playing good for 10 minutes. We dominated second half and were in control before they scored a VAR goal.

Hester_manc

Solskjær got it wrong with 3 central defenders, and he changed it at halftime. After that we became better and better, and when we finally scored to 3-2, he changed it back to a formation with 3 central defenders. The moment he did that, I feared, that we would invite Sheffield back in the game, and I don`t understand why he made that change. We had, for the first time in the match, momentum, and he put that in risk with that replacement.

Irwin99

Mental mental game :lol: What the hell happened in that ten minute blitz?! We almost won that after some of the worst football I've seen us play. I've seen us get beat by teams dominating possessionor sitting in a low block but we were last to every 50-50 today. Sheffield United are a really good team though and we do deserve credit for turning it around.

Mctominay was a big miss and Jones has another highlight for his disaster reel. DDG was in beast mode in the first half and looks to be back to his best.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Premier League at its finest. Hate VAR though, feels like an eternity waiting for a decision and kills the atmosphere. Wish Henderson could’ve played and also wish Egan hadn’t picked up an injury in the international break but that’s how it is. Fantastic entertainment for a neutral, a heart attack in the making for a fan.

stu_1992

Fecking hell what a second half, and I could say the same thing about the first half but for different reasons. Its funny what the team can go if they are let just go for it and we don't have terrible players like Jones and Pereira on the pitch.

Sickening result, but I would have been somewhat satisfied if it had just ended at 2-2. To go 3-2 up and then not win from there just brought a whole new level of frustration, and there was already enough of that from the first half! Doesn't say much for our senior players that the youngsters had to dig them out of a hole.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Well said mate, the state of some of the posts here and in match day thread. Great comeback, shame we didn't hold out, the defending was poor and we were very short in midfield. I would have taken draw when we went 2 down but a lot of the people here would have preferred to lose it seems.
Yep. Let's not moan for being totally out fecking played for most of the game by Sheffield United. :houllier:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I see their third goal as a handball, and I dont understand, how VAR could miss that.

The first half was the worst, I have seen from Manchester United in a long time. It feelt good, that it was 3 players from the academy, who scored for us to bring us back in the game ;-)

I didn`t understand, why Solskjær chosed to sub Martial for Tuanzebe - we all learned in the first half, that wo couldnt defend against them.
Because it wasn't. There's literally no angles showing the ball touching his arm at any time and he was actively avoiding the possible handball. It's a goal, live with it. Defense was terrible and didn't deserved to get bailed out by an injustice.

RK

Our defence is good, our attack is good.
I think people need to realise that they don't exist in isolation - we're missing our first choice midfield and the midfield today kept losing the ball. This means our attackers don't have many chances and our defenders are constantly under pressure.
Also credit to Sheffield for the unrelenting pressure they put on our midfield.

pascell

We started the game with 3 at the back, got completely outplayed. Switched formation, made a couple of substitutions and we were winning. Ole then decides to switch back to playing 3 at the back and we swiftly conceded.

Masterclass.
This in a nutshell, another prime example or why Ole just won't get us anywhere as manager.

RedAlways78

DDG kept it at only 1-0 the first half. Without him it would have been more easily.

Piss poor performance tonight.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Strange game. Quite a spectacle though. Fair result for Sheffield. Thought they were outstanding. We weren't that bad considering the circumstances and their performance. Bit unfortunate for the McBurnie goal. That thing bounced a lot before even getting to him.

12oskell

Could go on today about poor performing players, selection & formation, lack of tactics or organisation, no desire (until the Williams goal) but nothing annoyed me more than seeing Ole smiling and laughing after the game like a teenager seeing a woman’s breast for the first time, after that terrible performance and only 1 point. On the otherside a newly promoted team manager with a face like thunder after his team not getting the win.

meamth

Well said mate, the state of some of the posts here and in match day thread. Great comeback, shame we didn't hold out, the defending was poor and we were very short in midfield. I would have taken draw when we went 2 down but a lot of the people here would have preferred to lose it seems.
Lose, so they can have a better chance to see the back of Ole.

The state of this club.

Gasolin

Yeah it was as you could see it a fecking mile away. When we were attacking them they looked rattled.
They beat Arsenal, drew to Chelsea, and barely lost to Liverpool. It's not easy over there, but hopefully the team is starting to become mentally stronger.

Snafu17

The Tuanzebe sub was sensible and I will die on this hill if I need to.

The first 70 minutes were atrocious though. Why we didn't invest in a midfielder in the summer is fecking beyond me.

billybee99

There was universal agreement that this season would involves bumps and inconsistencies.

There are now bumps and inconsistencies, and yet same posters lose their shit when there is :houllier:
There was not "universal agreement" that we would be in 10th place.

Coops73

Utter shite, don’t get me wrong, great comeback but that 70 minutes shower of shit was on Ole.

Why, Oh fecking why, would you play jones and continue with Pereira? the formation was all wrong, the players were all shocking but those 10-15 minutes I think have saved Oles neck tonight, I’ve supported him, I want to keep faith in him but today he got it so wrong.

It’s not all his fault and even if we got in Poch I doubt he’d be able to sort this lot out, even Ferguson in his hay day would struggle but that was some of the worst football United have played in a long, long time and sadly I wonder how long this can go on under Ole, but even sadder is the fact I don’t think there is any manager in world football that could sort this lot out.

The one positive is the comeback Itself but tonight shocked me, I want Ole to succeed, it’s the dream right? But the reality.....

AFC NimbleThumb

Yep. We have conceded in every single Premier League game since Leicester on the 14th September.

People look at our goals conceded and think it is good, but when you look at the number of clean sheets it shows the truth. We are 17th for the number of clean sheets; we are practically guaranteed to concede a goal a game, not just on average but in reality. We have spent £130m on our defence and haven't really improved.

Goals Conceded
Manutd: 15
Liverpool: 11
Leicester: 8
Man City: 14
Sheffield: 12
Wolves: 16

Clean Sheets
Manutd: 2
Liverpool: 2
Leicester: 6
Man City: 5
Sheffield: 5
Wolves: 3
Exactly.

Today was an exception, teams generally score a goal & sit back whilst the game fizzpes out into nothing so teams are usually in a position to need to score multiple goals to beat us.

Today we actually score goals to come back from behind & within 15 minutes of being attacked we concede.

We concede on a weekly basis as you’ve exhibited & do not show £130mil worth of defensive improvement

Andreas started a game in our midfield today - I’d gladly swap for Smalling + £80mil worth of midfield talent.

SoCross

Axel played in midfield, not as CB - for those saying we went back to back three.

We had Fred and Lingard in midfield. Made sense to bring Axel on; we were getting swamped in the first half because we didn’t have three in midfield.

Thought rashford should have come off though instead of Martial. The latter holds the ball up better.

Walters_19_MuFc

Based on how the game went, we were lucky to get a draw. However, when you take the lead with 5-10 mins to go, you expect to try and see out the game.

Ole brought on Tuanzebe for Martial, which 9 times out a 10, most managers would do. Keep it tight, see out the game, game won! However, we just weren't able to hold on.

It's always easy to say, but once we scored the third, we looked like we could have gone on to kill the game and get the fourth, but it wasn't to be.

redzombie

Stop with that nonsens about us only playing good for 10 minutes. We dominated second half and were in control before they scored a VAR goal.
"Statistics are like miniskirts: They give you good ideas but hide the important things." Ebbe Skovdahl

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
There was universal agreement that this season would involves bumps and inconsistencies.

There are now bumps and inconsistencies, and yet same posters lose their shit when there is :houllier:
Please, say that louder. People don’t seem to realise that we have a young squad and we’re building towards a long-term plan.

edgecutter

Strange game. Quite a spectacle though. Fair result for Sheffield. Thought they were outstanding. We weren't that bad considering the circumstances and their performance. Bit unfortunate for the McBurnie goal. That thing bounced a lot before even getting to him.
We were very fortunate today. If you told me that we would get a draw I would have had you admitted to an asylum.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good comeback, but that last sub killed it. We could have shot up the table, instead we have gone up one place. It was too cautious a move. Somebody said they brought on an extra attacker on, so what. We sat back and got what we barely deserved.
While I agree, I can’t think of any manager who wouldn’t do the same on those circumstances.

Had he not done so and Sheffield scored, you’d have lambasted OGS for not trying to close out the game.

I think it was a fair result against 2 equally matched teams (in terms of today’s output). We had 7 squad injuries against their two.

Our Sqaud is between 4th-6th in the league right now. Expecting more than that will only result in unfounded frustration.

Why we have that squad is another question, but I don’t understand why so many of our internet based fans can’t seem to get this. We in at the early stages of a reboot. You either embrace and enjoy that or you drown yourself in self inflicted misery.

I’m personally still a massive fan of Mourinho and wish he was still with us. I’m also not a fan of wasting years with ‘yoof’. But we are where we are and I’m on board. It’s amazing to see our team full of so many Young ones. Let’s see how it plays out.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yep. Let's not moan for being totally out fecking played for most of the game by Sheffield United. :houllier:
Do you remember when you used to be able to enjoy a dramatic game of football? Did you celebrate when we went 3-2 up?

Nope. I didn't think so.

bushyzor

Sheffield United are a better coached team than Manchester United. That tells a lot. I think we are wasting time here and going nowhere with Ole.
I agree with you, sadly. i feel like Maurinho had the couching skills but couldn’t manage the personalities. Solskjaer can manage the personalities but doesn’t have the coaching skills.

meamth

And let's forget that 70% possesion in the 2nd half and say SU actually bossed it, we're shite.

Get the facts right. They had 1st half, we taught them how to play in the 2nd.

Don't go around spouting nonsense like that.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 314 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Sheffield Utd 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Sheffield Utd 0:2 Man Utd