PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 June 2020

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Very enjoyable match.

Total domination , excellent performance from Martial, not only for his first hat-trick but his intelligence and movement.

Matic was very good, also Pogba and Bruno played some great stuff.
Rashford not his best game but gets 2 assists. DDG with very little to do.

This team will get better which it will without question and be a force to be reckoned with.

Added bonuses, no sign of no.14 and also got the correct score.

Very happy.

tjb

The major observation today was that our defenders aren't and have not been bad off the ball. The real problem we have had in our build up is how bad our midfielders have been in creating passing lanes for the defenders and controlling the ball when the pass is given to them. Simply having this feature allowed our defenders to have more time, space and confidence on the ball know that they had passing options, rather than holding their hands out while looking for any passing options when bringing the ball out.

With that in mind, I feel we need to invest on a cheap quality midfielder with good spacial awareness and a decent first touch as a back up for both Bruno and Pogba. The drop in build up quality was evident when both went off the pitch.

GJNJ

Created some good chances and made a good side look very average.

We are in title winning form (in a normal season).

Couple of negatives for me is, looks like story the rest of the year could well be a number 10 blocking pogbas creative contribution again (although personally think he is better vs most opponent in a functional deep role), and shaw really looks out of ideas for me. Not sure De Gea touched the ball so hopefully that narrative goes away for a while
Pogba created 4 chances according to sky, more than any other player.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Goals aside, that is the best game Martial has had in a United uniform. Sure, he scored his first hattrick, but it wasn't just that. He was constantly on the move and looking for space. This is the Martial I want to see. There was never any doubt in his ability, but his movement was poor. Today he was fantastic...

This was probably the worst game Bruno has had for us. Better in the second half than the first, and had a lovely flick on to help set up Martial's 3rd, but he was struggling with his passing today. Too many wrong choices and just poor passes. Not concerned though. Everyone has a bad day once in a while...

This was our best line up today. The only change I will possibly make is playing Mata on the right against teams who really sit back. Southampton wasn't sitting back, they were forced back. There's a difference.

Keep this up and we could finish in 3rd. That's not normally something I would look forward to, but considering how the season has gone, it's feels good to be excited about this Manchester United team again...

Good performance - Pogba, Martial and Matic were our best players

AWB is improving glad he got an assist.

Rashford looks rusty, hopefully he'll come alive in the next game.

AshRK

Professional performance. Could and should have scored more but 3-0 I will take it.

Alemar

OGS was asked about Angel Gomes in the interview and answered “I have other things in my mind”

The Original

Great win.

That midfield of Matic-Bruno-Pogba just controlled the game. We need to find another Matic! The possession football in the 2nd half just crushed Sheffield.

Martial clinical. Fantastic to have him in form.

Rashford is bang out of form however. But that little pass for Martial's 3rd was excellent and will help him to start to feel the flow again.

AWB and Shaw were truly excellent. Focusing on Shaw I thought he looked world class, great performance. Not many will notice though or want to notice ;-)

Greenwood much better option on the right when we need to keep things technical.

Onwards and upwards. Bloody Wolves. We might have a slightly better fixture list though.
What was world class about Shaw's performance?

Put in one good cross that I can remember but was very ordinary otherwise. Also does a remarkable amount of back passing even when Rashford is making runs ahead of him.

RedDevilRoshi

Barring a 10 minute spell in the first half after the water break, we were in complete control and you could tell that there was only going to be one winner today. 2nd half was just easy street and some very enjoyable moments of football to watch.

Delighted Martial got his hattrick. Rashford got two assists but should have scored that chance in the 1st half. I’m glad it didn’t come back to haunt us as we’ve seen it happen to us so often in the past. Our midfield was absolutely superb (If it wasn’t for Martial’s hattrick, I’d be struggling who to give my MOTM out of that midfield 3). The defence didn’t have much to do but when called upon, they did their jobs without any mucking about.

Overall a fantastic all round performance from the lads and a result to match.

Nickelodeon

What a fantastic fecking performance. Loved every minute. Kudos to everyone.

Special shoutout to Matic who is key for balance of the team.

Gordon S

We were just cruising through this game, very dominant performance. So great to watch quality players like Pogba, Bruno, Martial enjoy themselves.
But i don`t understand what has happened to Sheffield United? They look dreadful after the break:confused:

The Original

It's always lovely to coast in a game you know you're going to win. Used to take that for granted under Ferguson. Nowadays I soak them in.

Really solid performance. Composed, committed, the shape was strong, we pressed them well. Plenty of invention and crucially, dangerous from both sides of the pitch. How long have we bemoaned the fact that everything went down the left?

Pogba - I wanted him to earn his place in the team and so far he has. He was disciplined and tidy. Answered many of my own personal doubts about him

Matic - apart from the obvious MOM, the best player on the pitch. I actually have a note from minute 64 - Matic misplaces a pass! - that's how good he was.

Greenwood - not his most eye-catching performance but I'd still keep him over James simply because he adds a goal threat and he'll get 3 or 4 over the remaining fixtures.

Overall a top quality performance. This is now a very, very good team, and I think we have the confidence and the talent to dominate every remaining fixture. Cant wait for the next match, and it keeps the Ole out crew quiet for a few more days.
Signing Matic and Pogba in the same season was fantastic business from the club.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy for Martial. Just nice to see one of our lads score a hat trick in PL.

Good performance all around. We need to keep pushing and build that consistency.

So damn happy. 3 points and job done.

Ricardo de la Vega

Excellent performance. I was very impressed with our movement attacking-wise; excellent, intelligent passing and intelligent runs. Fernandes has made such a huge difference to this team - he makes it all tick and has given everyone else confidence it seems. Martial is excellent - as he always has been as a no 9. Was also impressed by Rashford today again - worked hard in transition. AWB showed good glimpses going forwards also - put in a very dangerous cross Igalho should have got on the end of in the second half.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
We were just cruising through this game, very dominant performance. So great to watch quality players like Pogba, Bruno, Martial enjoy themselves.
But i don`t understand what has happened to Sheffield United? They look dreadful after the break:confused:
3 away games on the bounce Wednesday-Sunday-Wednesday isn’t helpful with us already picking up injuries. Think momentum has gone also. Had goal line technology been turned on at Villa then maybe a win would have pushed us on but no point discussing it now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Pogba was again outstanding. Dictated the tempo from midfield (along with Matic), but was also involved with a lot of attacking play- dribbling, interchanges with Martial, and started the move for the 3rd. The pass for Rashford's air kick was the best of the match, couldn't figure out the angles till the replay.

Bruno was good but a little impatient in the first half, trying too many things. With Pogba around he doesn't *have* to try something every time he get the ball.

Rashford needs to score, he played average but with two good assists and two bad misses. Strange game.

Very nice kick by DDG for the chance Rashford missed.

Still, I felt last game's poor performance was all because of rustiness, and now today's excellent performance could be down to a dead opposition. That itself might be because of the heat (which could continue, and it would be great news if this is how we play in it), or just bad form. So we need to see another game before figuring out if this is the "normal" level for the team.

DavidDeSchmikes

Good professional performance. De Gea only had to make one save and got his clean sheet. I like the Bruno/Pogba midfield partnership. Rashford looked a bit rusty at times, yet still got 2 assists. Pleased for Martial. Matic had a good composed game in midfield.

Icemav

What was world class about Shaw's performance?

Put in one good cross that I can remember but was very ordinary otherwise. Also does a remarkable amount of back passing even when Rashford is making runs ahead of him.
Here we go.

He did many many things excellently today (not to mention a huge slalom diagonal run when the team was getting boxed in). Not just back passes and one good cross.

Axe to grind?

EwanI Ted

Nice game to watch, lots to enjoy. Most important thing for me is that we’ve come out of the break with the same form we went into it with. As we saw from Sheffield United, not every team can say the same. That makes me think we can play well til the end of the season. Hopefully that’s enough for the top four.

RyRy11

Only one complaint from me, really minor too. I don't get why for the last 11 minutes we didn't really try to score a 4th and 5th. We do this all the time, top teams should be looking to score all the time. I'll put it down to heat exhaustion for now.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed sitting back stress free, watching us dominate the game. Man of match is really hard. Could be Martial for this three goals or one of Pogba, Matic and Bruno who all ran the show showcasing there abilities.
I do agree in usual circumstances but being 3 goals up, in major heat and a congested fixture list for the next few months I much rather us sit back and pass it around. That energy saved could be the difference between a win and a draw later on.

tjb

Looked in control throughout the game and the difference having Fernandes AND Pogba in the team together is massive, I thought Matic was superb and I’d love to take 5 years off his age so it’s important to get a similar but younger player in so they can learn from Matic and Carrick.

Martial showed how he can play and I think that was his best performance leading the line for us, outside of the obvious in the three goals he held the ball up well and brought others into the game whilst having strikers instincts in the box.

I think Shaw was excellent and having a settled back four really makes a major difference, is that only 3 or 4 conceded in our unbeaten run ? De Gea having nothing to do and a clean sheet takes the attention that’s been on him off of him which is good for his confidence.

7 games left and 2 points behind Chelsea and 6 points behind Leicester with a far easier on paper run in, could we get third place ? It’s definitely achievable and I’d much rather we get third or fourth than rely on City’s ban being upheld or winning Europa.
Chelsea are really good and will give us a run. If we can drag Leicester back into this, we will easily get top 4

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Great performance at a canter really. Made them look very ordinary. The crowd noise was perfect. Made the game eminently more watchable as a spectacle. Should have won that 6 or 7-0 to be honest but an improved GD, 3 more points and a clean sheet is a good day's work.

All I want now is a City and Southampton win tomorrow please.

Falcow

Which was pretty obvious to many of us. That daft idea that the only thing stopping Lingard and Pereira from doing the same was Ole's tactics was a low point for the cafe imo.

Bruno doesn't seem to be having any problems playing under the PE teachers poor tactics. Pogba just illustrates the point further.
That was just no arguing with those who were demanding ole resign after the Burnley game....i dont think that it is too much of a stretch to say they were in the majority.....the poll on this site proves so.

Pep and klopp would have fared no better with lingard and pierrea in same starting line up. Ole has done a magnificent job and I am confident that his next two signings will turn us into title challengers again.

Great win, so happy for Martial. He could turn into the player we always hoped he would with the chances this team will create.

Redfrog

Only one complaint from me, really minor too. I don't get why for the last 11 minutes we didn't really try to score a 4th and 5th. We do this all the time, top teams should be looking to score all the time. I'll put it down to heat exhaustion for now.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed sitting back stress free, watching us dominate the game. Man of match is really hard. Could be Martial for this three goals or one of Pogba, Matic and Bruno who all ran the show showcasing there abilities.
Ole was right I think. The players just came back from a 3 months break and we will play 2 times a week. He wants to keep our best team fresh and particulary our front 5 to unlock defenses.
Pogba and Rashford just came back from injuries as well.
More goals would have been nice but goal difference doesn't really matter as we are ahead of Chelsea

MattofManchester

Just a little worried about Bruno. Looks like he picked up a knock. Movement was hampered from the around the 30th minute onwards.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
One of our players did one of those 3 goal thingies, whatsitcalled. Hot Truck. Something like that.

Sheffield Utd looked beaten before a ball was kicked. Didn't look arsed from the 1st minute.

The Original

Here we go.

He did many many things excellently today (not to mention a huge slalom diagonal run when the team was getting boxed in). Not just back passes and one good cross.

Axe to grind?
A world-class performance from a full-back means being a consistent attacking threat without being a defensive liability. What Shaw has going for him is defensive stability but he offers so little going forward.

You can't look at that one run and cite that as an example of excellent full-back play. That's not typically what you want your full-back to be doing all game long and frankly I believe he only got into that position because he is not a better passer.

He was solid but I think if Utd want to bring out the best of Rashford, a more accomplished left-back is needed.

Nikelesh Reddy

We were in cruise control really....Sheffield United were terrible,but we looked very sharp in the first half.Reasonably solid at the back but our midfield was terrific today.Matic looked superb,Pogba was quite disciplined as the deep lying playmaker and Bruno was always trying to create chances.Mason and Marcus still look a little rusty,but I feel delighted for Martial.Its ridiculous that no man United player has scored a league hattrick for 7 years!!

All in all good performance...The lads will get better over the next few weeks....

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Might be the most dominant half of premier football I've seen from us. Utterly bossed what by reputation was a good team.

Matic is great in these games, so calm. His little first time 'round the corner' balls to the CBs speed up our player immeasurably.

Only concern is that Luke Shaw seems to be a fulcrum of our attack. He's very talented (that ball to Ighalo was perfection) but I'm not sure we should be building around him. I assume Ole left him on to get his fitness up, loved how everyone kept passing it to him even though he was utterly done.

edcunited1878

Goals aside, that is the best game Martial has had in a United uniform. Sure, he scored his first hattrick, but it wasn't just that. He was constantly on the move and looking for space. This is the Martial I want to see. There was never any doubt in his ability, but his movement was poor. Today he was fantastic...

This was probably the worst game Bruno has had for us. Better in the second half than the first, and had a lovely flick on to help set up Martial's 3rd, but he was struggling with his passing today. Too many wrong choices and just poor passes. Not concerned though. Everyone has a bad day once in a while...

This was our best line up today. The only change I will possibly make is playing Mata on the right against teams who really sit back. Southampton wasn't sitting back, they were forced back. There's a difference.

Keep this up and we could finish in 3rd. That's not normally something I would look forward to, but considering how the season has gone, it's feels good to be excited about this Manchester United team again...
The thing is though, he didn't stop and didn't shy away from that responsibility. Kept looking for the ball and trying to pick a pass out. He's knackered, as are many players and playing against deep defending teams as organized as Sheffield isn't easy. He'll get a well deserved rest over the weekend. There's a good to great ball players at each level of the pitch now in defense (Shaw/Maguire, Pogba/Matic, and Bruno along with the forward players).

Icemav

A world-class performance from a full-back means being a consistent attacking threat without being a defensive liability. What Shaw has going for him is defensive stability but he offers so little going forward.

You can't look at that one run and cite that as an example of excellent full-back play. That's not typically what you want your full-back to be doing all game long and frankly I believe he only got into that position because he is not a better passer.

He was solid but I think if Utd want to bring out the best of Rashford, a more accomplished left-back is needed.
So one awesome run from nothing, a brilliant cross Igahlo should have done better with, great ball retention, energy and dribbling throughout, and solid defensively. It was a very good display. Sorry he is't Roberto Carlos. You really have the blinkers on mate. Anyway maybe he is sold this summer and a great player is signed..... make a wish.

Rahsford is finding his feet again, playing poorly but still x2 assists. Nothing to do with Shaw.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw