PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 June 2020

Rolaholic

Beautiful attacking football on display today

One of the rare times a prematch lineup that has garnered universal excitement from fans actually ended up panning out :lol:

Ole might have his set midfield 3 moving forward.

Also loving the evolution of AWB's game moving forwards, if he can become a consistent threat in attack he'll be a top 3 fullback in the world

Zambara

A demonstration of our real class, and proof that our good form continues.

A decent point away at Spurs in the last game, with Jose doing his usual miserable big-game thing, never told the full story.

slored1

Every player in that starting 11 at least a 7/10. Can't remember the last time we had a game like that.

kirk buttercup

Well done lads. Look dangerous with Pogba and Bruno pulling the strings. One or two additions and we are looking like a very serious team . Well done ole

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Great stuffs, brilliant!
Our midfield 3 of Pogba, Bruno and Matic absolutely boss the match,
Martial is a perfect striker in todays match too.

Riz

Just what what we needed. Barely got out of second gear which is understandable given the heat and the fact it’s the second game back.

Delighted for Tony. Strong performances from Bruno and Matic as well I thought.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The Good:

• DDG, Maguire and Lindelof didn't put a foot wrong.
  • AWB and Shaw looked dangerous throughout. Both put some really dangerous balls into the box.
  • Matic's passing was progressive, wonderfully times and above all quick.
  • Pogba dictated everything good we did. Most chances created in the match. Regularly got Bruno on the ball in the middle
  • He's our Bruno.
  • Rashford and Greenwood didn't have the best of games, but looked dangerous throughout.
  • Hattrick hero. It wasn't just the goals though. He put a proper shift in. I don't think I've seen him close the ball down this much, and what's more he did it in 25°c+ heat.
The Bad:
  • We only got 97 minutes of it. Roll on the weekend!

RedIan

Easy win, some nice football. I Had to give Tony motm but matic was Also excellent. Games like this would have proved tricky without Bruno's arrival and lifting the team. Best signing since Cantona in terms of influence and quality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sheff Utd look utterly shot away and missed some key defensive players...

However, we just looked totally on it, and it's mouthwatering if we can get Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and Martial together quite often.

Irwin99

Very classy performance, no player less than at least a 7 I'd say. Midfield and center-backs were very good. Top 4 is very very doable and it's a must.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Great game. The chemistry between the players is improving and Pogba-Bruno showing promising signs as partnership. I thought today's Pogba looked more like Pogba of French national team. With lots of top talent surrounding him and less burden on him alone, he expresses himself fantastically and can dictate the play. The Pogba pre-Bruno had lot to do on his own in midfield and rarely looked himself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Martial's smile when he was on the bench. :D
Happiest he's ever looked her for sure.
Great to see.

Converting his one goal performances into more is his major challenge.

Shiva87

Created some good chances and made a good side look very average.

We are in title winning form (in a normal season).

Couple of negatives for me is, looks like story the rest of the year could well be a number 10 blocking pogbas creative contribution again (although personally think he is better vs most opponent in a functional deep role), and shaw really looks out of ideas for me. Not sure De Gea touched the ball so hopefully that narrative goes away for a while
What are you on about? Pogba did what he enjoys the most - playing box to box. It's good that we have someone who wants to play the no. 10 role, and the creative burden is no longer solely on him.

stu_1992

Fantastic result and a great watch. I really do hope we see as much of that sort of performance as possible between now and the end of the season as we'd be looking good for Top 4 on that form. (I know 5th May be enough, but still).

And finally, a fecking hat trick! Well done to Martial! The 3rd goal was a beauty and you could see we were verging on chances like that a lot today. Some great play out there. I think the manager will be possibly even happier with the first 2 goals however, as he's constantly been on about how our forwards don't score enough of them. He's not wrong and if we do keep getting them we'll be in for a very nice end to the season.

Last edited:

SteveW

Turns out, having not two midfielders who can pick locks instead of none makes quite the difference. If Pogba stays and he and Bruno develops their chemistry we will become much more unpredictable and hard to defend against.
Which was pretty obvious to many of us. That daft idea that the only thing stopping Lingard and Pereira from doing the same was Ole's tactics was a low point for the cafe imo.

Bruno doesn't seem to be having any problems playing under the PE teachers poor tactics. Pogba just illustrates the point further.

Icemav

Great win.

That midfield of Matic-Bruno-Pogba just controlled the game. We need to find another Matic! The possession football in the 2nd half just crushed Sheffield.

Martial clinical. Fantastic to have him in form.

Rashford is bang out of form however. But that little pass for Martial's 3rd was excellent and will help him to start to feel the flow again.

AWB and Shaw were truly excellent. Focusing on Shaw I thought he looked world class, great performance. Not many will notice though or want to notice ;-)

Greenwood much better option on the right when we need to keep things technical.

Onwards and upwards. Bloody Wolves. We might have a slightly better fixture list though.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Oles taking us in the wrong direction man...A nice comfortable performance for once.

siw2007

We would have probably drawn this game before the lockdown, so obviously happy that we have had them at the right time.

Very good team performance. Because it was so hot, it was a game to keep possession and we did that really well. Congrats to Martial on scoring a hat trick, it’s about time we got one in this division, he had a super game. Also thought Matic played very well.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Great goals, good performance. We're still not match fit, but that'll improve. Our composure and passing was ok but it needs a lot more work

davidmichael

Looked in control throughout the game and the difference having Fernandes AND Pogba in the team together is massive, I thought Matic was superb and I’d love to take 5 years off his age so it’s important to get a similar but younger player in so they can learn from Matic and Carrick.

Martial showed how he can play and I think that was his best performance leading the line for us, outside of the obvious in the three goals he held the ball up well and brought others into the game whilst having strikers instincts in the box.

I think Shaw was excellent and having a settled back four really makes a major difference, is that only 3 or 4 conceded in our unbeaten run ? De Gea having nothing to do and a clean sheet takes the attention that’s been on him off of him which is good for his confidence.

7 games left and 2 points behind Chelsea and 6 points behind Leicester with a far easier on paper run in, could we get third place ? It’s definitely achievable and I’d much rather we get third or fourth than rely on City’s ban being upheld or winning Europa.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's always lovely to coast in a game you know you're going to win. Used to take that for granted under Ferguson. Nowadays I soak them in.

Really solid performance. Composed, committed, the shape was strong, we pressed them well. Plenty of invention and crucially, dangerous from both sides of the pitch. How long have we bemoaned the fact that everything went down the left?

Pogba - I wanted him to earn his place in the team and so far he has. He was disciplined and tidy. Answered many of my own personal doubts about him

Matic - apart from the obvious MOM, the best player on the pitch. I actually have a note from minute 64 - Matic misplaces a pass! - that's how good he was.

Greenwood - not his most eye-catching performance but I'd still keep him over James simply because he adds a goal threat and he'll get 3 or 4 over the remaining fixtures.

Overall a top quality performance. This is now a very, very good team, and I think we have the confidence and the talent to dominate every remaining fixture. Cant wait for the next match, and it keeps the Ole out crew quiet for a few more days.

dal

Great win.

That midfield of Matic-Bruno-Pogba just controlled the game. We need to find another Matic! The possession football in the 2nd half just crushed Sheffield.

Martial clinical. Fantastic to have him in form.

Rashford is bang out of form however. But that little pass for Martial's 3rd was excellent and will help him to start to feel the flow again.

AWB and Shaw were truly excellent. Focusing on Shaw I thought he looked world class, great performance. Not many will notice though or want to notice ;-)

Greenwood much better option on the right when we need to keep things technical.

Onwards and upwards. Bloody Wolves. We might have a slightly better fixture list though.
Rashford : crap game
Rashford : two assists

That is what is so immensely pleasing.

I’m so bloody chuffed, lolzies.

Icemav

Only one complaint from me, really minor too. I don't get why for the last 11 minutes we didn't really try to score a 4th and 5th. We do this all the time, top teams should be looking to score all the time. I'll put it down to heat exhaustion for now.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed sitting back stress free, watching us dominate the game. Man of match is really hard. Could be Martial for this three goals or one of Pogba, Matic and Bruno who all ran the show showcasing there abilities.
There was too many changes at that point. And quite a step down in quality.

Andersons Dietician

That was a proper performance and pretty classy given we didn’t really go full throttle. Just controlled the game.

Martial deserves man of the match and Pogba and Bruno were great but Matic put in a performance in that game.

Impressed with Bissaka and Shaw as well. Thought Bissaka had screwed it just before the Martial 2nd when he cut it back.

Good team performance all around.

Strelok

Great hattrick from Martial still tbh I love what Bruno did more. His touch in the third goal was fecking class.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw