PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 January 2021

Silverman

I have no problem with someone having a poor game now and again. What I can't forgive is a lack of effort. Fernandes didn't play that well but feck he was haring round the place leaving absolutely everything on the pitch.
Then there is Rashford and Martial looking at times like they couldn't care less.
Now I am a big fan of Rashford and Martial but their work rate is embarrassing.

Red Royal

This defeat is on some of the players thinking they are much better then thwt are and forgetting they need to graft. We all can guess who.

Our squad deptg is not as great as we thought, Tuanzabe looked scared, Donny did nothing and Telles is less of an attacking threat than Shaw. A real wake up call in our battle for top 4 this season.

Oranges038

Terrible performance all round and thoroughly deserved to lose. Sheffield United defended what they and to, but it was an easy ride for them. In particular, Jagielka making blocks and clearances, but it was so easy for someone as experienced as him to defend against that attack today. One dimensional and very little movement in the final third.

Defending for the second is some of the worst I've ever seen at any level, even worse than Soyuncu at the tail end of last season. Watching it unfold was bad, but in the replay it just looks 100 times worse.

Martial probably had one of the worst games I've ever seen from him, he needs to go, no excuses. I wouldn't give him another minute if I was Ole.

Redfrog

With his recent form, Martial doesn't deserve to be on the pitch, not even on the bench. But he plays 90min when Greenwood was 10 times better.
If Fergie was there, he would have send him in a training camp boot in USA and we would have not seen him all season.
Seriously, we are seriously lacking options in attack, we need at least 2 top players on top of what we already have. Our players need competition. Doesn't care if our players are not happy about it. To play every game you have to perform every game. That is the life in a big club. We won't win the title if we don't have competition for places.

James35

Hopefully this ends all title talk now from some fans. I'm sure we will be 4 points behind City and still have to visit them. That alone is enough for anyone with sense to realise we are not winning it, nevermind the fact we may even miss out on top 4 altogether, it is that close right now. We will need to get a run together again ASAP.

This season overall has been a bit of a shambles and luckily we had been the best, points wise, for a while at least but performance wise we have scraped so many games and haven't been dominant in any. This is not knee jerk for me, I'm a realist but I have been happy to ride along on this surreal wave of positivity during this very strange Premier League campaign.

As our Semi finals and tonight has once again shown, this team has the spine of an athiritic 98 year old and our overall technical level and football intelligence is some way below the best teams. Ole again with his subs, Cavani and Shaw should have been on at HT but he again waits too long. My biggest concern now though is the board giving him a new contract, they must wait until the summer and only then if he deserves it by getting top 4 and a trophy.

Arsenal away next, a game I'm almost certain we will drop points in. Bubble well and truly burst tonight unfortunately.

ex and

Cooled down a bit, was really angry at the end but we didn’t deserve to get a result tonight. Our main players were awful. Solskjaer’s big problem is indecisiveness, should changed after the first half. He did the same against Fulham and we were lucky that Pogba scored a worldie.

Oldtraffordboy

The attitude was wrong tonight.

Some put the effort in, some didn't. But they weren't mentally up for the game beforehand.

What you end up with bad decisions, extra touches, delayed passes, and poor quality.

That can happen I guess from time to time going forward, but the defending was inexcusable. Some of the worst I've ever seen at any level.

Born2Lose

Henderson is Mignolet MK2.

He faced a lot of shots at SHU and they're a defensive team as well, thus got to look good. Every game he has played for us he has looked average.
Great, give me average, give me a guy who comes off his line, who doesn't make limp passes to the opposition allowing them to score a winner.

How anyone can have any trust still in De Gea is beyond me. In big moments he'll make a mistake.

It's really weird watching us when Henderson plays and you actually see a goalie come off his line to meet a ball like you expect him too.

croadyman

Utterly infuriating, but truth be told we haven’t put in the performances of a title challenging side or even looked like one all season. Can’t keep coming from behind in the way we have been. It’s unsustainable to do it as often we have needed to do so far.

These lads need a bit of a wake up call to realise that they still have a real fight on to finish above each of Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea and Arsenal. Arteta will fancy continuing their great run in general and beating us again.

Embarrassing result all the same for all United supporters. We should rightly get stick for losing at home to a side in Sheff Utd’s position.
Absolutely bang on we deserve all the banter coming our way and a serious reality check for anyone of our fans or players who started getting a bit above themselves

HarryRedCrumbs

I thought rotating the squad was necessary but seems we can't manage that. I thought maybe Harry's header was going to spark us in to action, but..... Nah.

De Gea must have been smoking crack before the game. We looked a shambles. I hope Ole gets ruthless

Lentwood

There were some shocking performances in amongst that lot. I’d like to say some should never play for the club again but we don’t have that luxury.

The one we need to get a hold of quick is Bruno. For a few weeks now he seems to be buying his own hype as the saviour of Manchester Utd. It’s not his job to be running around in CM or out on the wing. His job is to occupy the half-space between forward and our midfield and make things happen.

No tactical discipline whatsoever tonight. I get he’s desperate to win, you can’t fault that, however, he HAS to play his role and not just whatever he feels like doing.

OrcaFat

City look way better than us on current form.

Shaw was good when he came on. He’s in good form. Most of the others looked either short of form or short of quality.

If Ole sticks around and keeps developing the squad, I would be surprised if he doesn’t phase out half of today’s match squad by the end of next season. No matter how technically good they may be, some of them are ineffective, Martial being a case in point.

man united 4eva

Mata would have been a better option than Martial tonight.. This is looking like his worst season since he signed for us.. he needs benching big time.. the sooner that right wing slot is filled the better... Mason can play as Edinson's understudy as a centre forward.

RedDevil@84

Ole's got to go with Henderson as 1st choice. He probably isn't going to be a world beater but he does the basics well and doesn't at times look like the Charlie Chaplin of goalkeeping either.
:lol:
Henderson is nowhere ready to be behind this brain-fecked defense. He is totally capable of looking like a comedian or not bothering to try for many shots. He has got his chances this season and has looked just about ok. Nothing to push De Gea out of the job.

Wouldn't write him off, but not ready yet.

76side

Martial has to be benched he's been very poor recently and is a luxury player we cannot afford to carry.
Awful display tonight all sideways and no risk taking going forward.
Ah well at least we made it to the top I guess, it will be a long time before we are at the summit again on tonights showing.

BEST No7

Embarrassing post. DDG was clearly pushed mid-air and should have had a free-kick, and if he got one you would never write this post. The second was a deflection he could hardly be blamed for. Give up, pay attention next time.
Bollocks he barely touched him, and it's not like this is the first time De Gea has conceded a soft goal like that. Happens far to often. And well the second was even worse...clear the fecking ball into row z and that goal never happens. That's basic stupid errors he makes far too many of these days. Its costing us

Redfrog

Well it was nice to think we were in a title race for all of a week.

Realistically though City are miles ahead and we defended tonight like schoolboys.

Sheffield United have scored 12 goals this season. 5 of them against us. Clowns.
My god, that is terrible. Tuanzebe was terrible and is not United quality but was not helped by Pogba and Matic getting passed so easily. Ole was too arrogant not to put some legs in this midfield.

JPM#mufc

What is it with us winning a massive game one day then the next we follow it up with a lifeless performance? It happened after the PSG and Leipzig games. They clearly get over confident and just cruise through the next game.

I'm not even mad at this. Sheffield United got what they deserved.

RedDevil@84

The second goal was just absolutely bizarre. It's like five or six players simultaneously forgot how to play football. You wouldn't see something so bad in a Sunday league match.
Hilarious stuff all around. Starting with Maguire taking the ball to DDG so closely. Everyone seemed to be fecking around in the box aimlessly. And they stood back and invited them to shoot and see what happens.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I was fuming at our goal not being given but to be honest that performance didn't deserve any better. We were pathetic. Some of this lot looked like they've never played together before. No urgency, no desire to win second balls, just passing it around side to side until being dispossessed from their activated press or losing it from super dumb shit in the final third - I don't know what the feck Martial even tries to do anymore.

Oh well, we all knew that league positioning was in no way a reflection of the team we actually are anyways though the ride was fun while it lasted. Add this to the many other 'corners' we looked to have turned.

Schmeichel=God

Ok. Good.

Now harvest this pain. Feel it.

Make them watch the game all over tonight, all together!

No one is going home until you feel the pain.
Then watch it again.
And again!

Who knows, this might kick us in the arse and stir us on.

Or, it might destroy us.
This bunch of snowflakes would probably shrivel up and disappear like the limp shits they are. Name me one player that has some damn backbone...that isn't just moaning in disguise (Bruno)
Sheffield United have scored 12 goals this season. 5 of them against us. Clowns.
This is pure puke :nervous:

Redfrog

No penetration.
Wilder was screaming to keep us out wide and we obliged
Every time any ball came into the final third to feet we simply didn't hold or turn.
Again. Martial for me was so so poor.
Yeah, and having no legs on the left didn't help. Telles is so slow, Shaw would have been a threat on that side.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What is it with us winning a massive game one day then the next we follow it up with a lifeless performance? It happened after the PSG and Leipzig games. They clearly get over confident and just cruise through the next game.

I'm not even mad at this. Sheffield United got what they deserved.
Do you deserve two goals and an away win because you defended with essentially a back 8 all game and got one goal by fouling the keeper and the other by a jammy deflection?

I genuinely thought they were just shite and lucky. We were awful. If a 38 year old with a gut is defending well against you then you aren't playing well enough.

Judas

Open to offers
Bruno didn't have a good game, but he worked bloody hard as always. Same with Pogba. Cavani, didn't happen for him, but chased like a mad man as usual. At least some put the effort in.

OrcaFat

Let's not over react We knew we were inconsistent. This will happen from time to time. If it turns into a run of results then time to worry
Well said. Really feel gutted but some proportion is due.

JPM#mufc

Do you deserve two goals and an away win because you defended with essentially a back 8 all game and got one goal by fouling the keeper and the other by a jammy deflection?

I genuinely thought they were just shite and lucky. We were awful. If a 38 year old with a gut is defending well against you then you aren't playing well enough.
There is your answer.

r0663664

Worships Man City
That was a unique type of awful. We must never truly believe in our being back in a title race. We will always serve up some really dross stuff when we need to put in a genuine performance!

The number of players ball watching on that second goal is god awful. Even watching it live, it felt like we are playing a game in slow motion.
it was horrific watching live on TV, waiting for some cool head to tackle or put the ball out but it never happen. Asking our opponent to come on shoot, we got De Gea who can block everything. Absolutely dismay, no one a explained how that can happen.

The Oracle

Why are the following problems not being addressed?
  • Martial is lazy, and is not good enough if we want to challenge for trophies
  • De Gea is a coward, and is living off his past glories. He is mentally weak and feeble
  • Wan-Bissaka offers us nothing going forward, where is a right-winger to support him?
  • Rashford is too hit and miss, and his focus appears to be elsewhere. Everyone keeps saying he is tired, well if that is the case then he should say that to Ole
  • Bruno gives the ball away too many times. Every player needs competition for places, and that is why we need to sign Grealish.
  • Tuanzebe is not cut out for this level. He is at the same level as Phil Jones, and should not be anywhere near our club.
  • Matic is past it, and slows our play down too much with the 4 or 5 touches he needs before releasing the ball.
  • Why does our manager wait for so long before making substitutes – this is a major problem. The match was crying out for changes at half-time, but none came.

The Irish Connection

With his recent form, Martial doesn't deserve to be on the pitch, not even on the bench. But he plays 90min when Greenwood was 10 times better.
If Fergie was there, he would have send him in a training camp boot in USA and we would have not seen him all season.
Seriously, we are seriously lacking options in attack, we need at least 2 top players on top of what we already have. Our players need competition. Doesn't care if our players are not happy about it. To play every game you have to perform every game. That is the life in a big club. We won't win the title if we don't have competition for places.
Yep. I thought Greenwood was ok and it was strange to take off such a good finisher.

One thing that keeps standing out for me is how sloppy and wasteful we are in the final 3rd. Get into good positions and then mess up the final ball or crucial ball. It’s been the case for years to be honest, although we might have improved a little on it but not enough.

RedAlways78

Utter tripe. We were looking good and then this match happened. Can’t believe what I just watched.

MUFC60

• De Gea is a coward, and is living off his past glories. He is mentally weak and feeble
  • Wan-Bissaka offers us nothing going forward, where is a right-winger to support him?
  • Rashford is too hit and miss, and his focus appears to be elsewhere. Everyone keeps saying he is tired, well if that is the case then he should say that to Ole
  • Bruno gives the ball away too many times. Every player needs competition for places, and that is why we need to sign Grealish.
  • Tuanzebe is not cut out for this level. He is at the same level as Phil Jones, and should not be anywhere near our club.
  • Matic is past it, and slows our play down too much with the 4 or 5 touches he needs before releasing the ball.
  • Why does our manager wait for so long before making substitutes – this is a major problem. The match was crying out for changes at half-time, but none came.
Agree with every point made, we are awful and living in a dreamworld if we think we will win anything with the way the club is at the moment. Unfortunately I can't see anything changing.

DickDastardly

This bunch of snowflakes would probably shrivel up and disappear like the limp shits they are. Name me one player that has some damn backbone...that isn't just moaning in disguise (Bruno)

This is pure puke :nervous:
Shaw has been on the recieving end and has only come up stronger.

Aaaand.... that's about it.
You're right.
Gonne are the days of mental resiliance.

Still, i'd still do it. At least make them hurt.

superdry

touched by a genius
Think I'd like slap the back of Ole's neck, he's a fecking charlatan.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Agree with a lot of this, particularly those in bold.

croadyman

Know deep down it isn't but right now feels like a catastrophic result

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results