g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2017

IRELANDUNITED

I don't remember a game when I was so disappointed with the players effort. I can accept bad luck and poor results when they give their all but I've never seen some of the players look so uninterested. For a local lad I thought Rashford looked like he couldn't give a crap, lingard too looked like he felt he didn't need to try hard. Extremely disappointing, I don't know what to think tbh

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't remember a game when I was so disappointed with the players effort. I can accept bad luck and poor results when they give their all but I've never seen some of the players look so uninterested. For a local lad I thought Rashford looked like he couldn't give a crap, lingard too looked like he felt he didn't need to try hard. Extremely disappointing, I don't know what to think tbh
This

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't think you can totally blame the manager.

Where is the players self pride?
True but it seems the belief is not there at the moment, don't think it was a lack of effort - the players have the ability although looking tired, something's not right. Some players don't react to criticism like others. At the end of the day it's the manager's job to get the best out of the players.

Ekeke

I think those stats mean absolutely feck all when you actually watch the match. A cross or a pass can reach a teammate but it says nothing about whether it created anything of note. It doesn't mention if the timing, weight and height was optimal. A player can rack up an impressive number of passes overall but it could still mean feck all.
Thats not true at all. If the ball finds the player he has a chance to make it into something. It might be a bit behind him, or too far for him to get the best contact, but he can keep it alive and do something. I remember several seasons ago when Valencia was praised for making the most crosses in the league. His crosses were usually behind his teammate requiring good work to make them into good opportunities, but sometimes our players were able to do so.

So finding your teammate even if the pass or cross isnt absolutely perfect does mean a good amount. It gives someone else the chance to do something with it, even if it still takes a lot of work.

And given what the rest of his teammates produced today, crosses and passes that werent perfect but found a teammate who were able to get a shot on goal is a big improvement over what most of them produced.

Again, he wasnt good. He just wasnt anywhere near as bad as people want to make out. Similar to the Nani days

United492

Really couldn’t disagree more, sounds like you have an agenda against Mourinho that colors how you see games.

Mhki has looked terrible since he joined us - he’s never ‘flown’ at all. Not sure what games you have watched. He is symptomatic of the attitude dragging us down and should be shipped out ASAP. Useless.
I probably do now to be fair.

That attitude that is dragging us down is evident throughout the team and I'm sorry, I can only blame Jose for that. It's not like he hasn't had previous. It's just the way I see it at the moment.

Pyro19

I can surely feel some discontent from the players. They look like they couldn't give 2 shits and are completely demoralized

brian017

This time last week we were 30 seconds from going 5 points clear of Chelsea and now we find ourselves a point behind them. Absolutely shocking. The players need to get their finger out. Top 4 is far from a certainty

Charles Miller

Without top full backs and wingers we have no width. Martial is more a wide striker.
Another thing, Mourinho should try a midfield three with Pogba-Matic-Mata to emulate the way the best teams are playing.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
£$€

Adohega

We will be 5 th soon. Probably 6th if arsenal keep sanchez and Ozil. Unless there is a squad overhaul, we wont get anywhere. Championship mug uptop, 32 year old winger as right back, pathetic left back, headless chicken in number 10 and an absolute donkey on the left wing yet Mourinho is the problem.
I agree. The players need to take responsibility. Do they need a manager to tell them to win?
They're professionals for god's sake. Rashford has been very annoying. What the hell is going on with him?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thats not true at all. If the ball finds the player he has a chance to make it into something. It might be a bit behind him, or too far for him to get the best contact, but he can keep it alive and do something. I remember several seasons ago when Valencia was praised for making the most crosses in the league. His crosses were usually behind his teammate requiring good work to make them into good opportunities, but sometimes our players were able to do so.

So finding your teammate even if the pass or cross isnt absolutely perfect does mean a good amount. It gives someone else the chance to do something with it, even if it still takes a lot of work.

And given what the rest of his teammates produced today, crosses and passes that werent perfect but found a teammate who were able to get a shot on goal is a big improvement over what most of them produced.

Again, he wasnt good. He just wasnt anywhere near as bad as people want to make out. Similar to the Nani days
You're a lot more tolerant than I am I guess. I don't make much difference between a missplaced pass and one that is close to be pointless. Mkihtaryan is a master of that (Mata does it too), lots of passes that do nothing to create movements, never mind chances.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Agreed. We need a response against Everton otherwise the ditch will quickly turn into a canyon.
Yeah, absolutely. This was labeled as a must win game, yet our players ran about like we had not a care in the world. I mean, the manager has to shoulder some of the blame for that for not motivating his players.

Serious problem here - once results don't go Jose's way - it usually unravels in a horrific way. Then he fecks off.

Ss3bba

For me this shows a lack of respect for the fans. The manager and his players are shielded away from what we as fans live for. I can’t imagine that the team hasn’t thought of winning and putting on a show for us during the festive season because that’s what some of us live for. Another festive season ruined by these mercenaries.

TheReligion

Abusive
Without top full backs and wingers we have no width. Martial is more a wide striker.
Another thing, Mourinho should try a midfield three with Pogba-Matic-Mata to emulate the way the best teams are playing.
In fairness to Mourinho I think he knew this and really wanted Perisic in the summer.

Fitchett

Why do I keep getting this error, even though I've rated all players?

The following error occurred:
Please rate all players.

Not just me apparently. I think something might be up @Damien
Perhaps its set to reject anyone who scores above 3 for today's performances

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He really cannot be happy. I am certainly not happy.

19:56
Mourinho on January transfers
Given the injuries he was asked if he needed January signings:

“I really don’t know but I am happy with the players and the attitudes and desires and I have no complaints about my players.”

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Our attitude needs to change asap. Players, managers and coaches. I don't want us collapsing in the middle of the season. That's just not on.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Oh well. Pogba's goal wasn't actually offside. The ball glances off the back of Yoshida's leg as it comes through to him. Difficult to spot though, you only pick it up from the goal-line camera.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He really cannot be happy. I am certainly not happy.

19:56
Mourinho on January transfers
Given the injuries he was asked if he needed January signings:

“I really don’t know but I am happy with the players and the attitudes and desires and I have no complaints about my players.”

Right thing to say to the press though. Don't give them anymore than they need to hear.

C'est Moi Cantona

Same old, Jose is going to need a raft of new excuses when Liverpool & Spurs join Chelsea above us in the table.

Sing you a song

interesting watching the way Pogba played today , so deep all the time ( thought it was matic job to sit ) ,
Very slow on the break looked lazy and uninterested .This is supposed to be our creative master ! When we broke forward he was always behind the ball , he should be driving to get into the box instead of strolling around looking to play the Hollywood pass all the time .

If he was 89m what would Bryan Robson be worth now ? He used to win the ball in midfield then drive into the box to get on the end of things

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Either we were very tired or morale is low. Players did not look bothered today.

Swearing Budgie

I decided not to watch it as I figured it would be cack. And it was.

Do you think Jose knew it would be cack before the match too?

FrenchRed

I agree. The players need to take responsibility. Do they need a manager to tell them to win?
They're professionals for god's sake. Rashford has been very annoying. What the hell is going on with him?
Nothing, he’s been completely overhyped from the start.

Baby Groot

Remember when we had a chance to go within 5 points of 1st with a win over City?

Everything we're seeing now is a result of that derby defeat. The players knew it was over then and subsequent performances have nosedived.

We are done.
Instead Mourinho turned up with a coward tactic and made it as easy as possible for City. But our run of form is the exact opposite we would generally see under Fergie, why? because if we lost derby or game to our nearest title rival United would usually respond in positive manner and that particular derby game or game with our nearest title rival would end up meaning much in the long run. But now in this post Fergie-era it seems that just only 1 bad game can ether in terms of result (or some times even performance?) can dent everyone is confidence and our form nose dive. This just shows how important man management is..

Why? If they are paying good money to see dross like that they have a right to boo.
And rightly soo, I did be pissed if I was paying that money on regular bases.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton