PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2017

desmondisback

This is what happens when you have a manager who doesn't really believe in playing good , fast paced , creative attacking football. When the cracks start to show you ultimately end up with this kind of shite.

Where was the quality? Where was the idea of what they were actually trying to do? Given a mini football lesson by Soton at home?? Doh!

How anyone can say that Mourinho is taking us anywhere at all after watching that utter dross is beyond me. A team that is "going somewhere" does not play like that..........ever

" don't worry we are 3rd"
" don't worry we are 4th"
" don't worry we are 5th" ......zzzzzzzzz

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Nah I disagree. The players have got to give them something. The performance was awful.
Agree it was beyond awful. But fans gave no encouragment whatsoever until Martial came on. They could make a little bit of noise?!

Toddler

We are a sad and tired team it seems. No fight and no cohesion. We are predictable, no runs, no combination and our midfield is so bad atm going forward, it seems like we have to always come get the ball from the defense which makes it really hard to go forward fast. We should take a look how city play in midfield, huge difference albeit they have different players. And when Martial (he was okay today) comes in we become even more predictable as we play all our balls through left side, and guess what, there is no space.

And Joses comments about the hand ball are pointless and not what cost us the game, we are a bad team right now.

Keep your head up boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have a feeling we will end up outside TOP 4 if we don't make any signings this month.
The silver lining is that our form reflects how much we need to buy. We simply need far better options, especially off the bench.

Mkhi can definitely go. He's useless regardless of how many times he's won Azkhabanian player of the year.

Sanchez7

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Manchester United

These are the best team from my eyes at the moment
Agreed with top 4. I think Arsenal are probably bigger bottlers than us.

I think we will struggle to make the top four because he seems to have lost the dressing room.

bumbumbum

Get rid of some of the players then. They didn't want to learn under LVG and now they've got 'freedom' they don't know what to do with it. Their mentality is so shit.

I know Jose needs to do more with the attackers, but simple things they shouldn't need anyone to tell them to do. Need to fine all of them 1 month's wages.
Well, this time it was a dig at the players. It seems we have manager who lets attacking players do their stuff however they see fit, which is not going to work if the players themself have hardly any idea how to crack down defenses, yet may treat any attempts at introducing organized attacking play as limiting their creativity. I know it's easy to say, but why not keep the ball, get players in positions to execute a play, play couple fast passes and shoot ?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Why do I keep getting this error, even though I've rated all players?

The following error occurred:
Please rate all players.

Is anyone else unable to give player ratings?
Not just me apparently. I think something might be up @Damien

Seanus

Its definitely much better. More goals, better players, better league position etc. We are just in a ditch at the moment and need to pull ourselves out.
agree that on paper its better but that, and most of the last month, is clearly nowhere near good enough and heading only 1 way-down the table. Very good players are now average at best.

MrSingh2002

I’ve been a massive fan of Jose and he was the manager I always wanted when Fergie left but if this is what we’re going to play like every week he can feck off.
That was as bad as the worst from Moyes.
Exactly how I feel. He's only interested in doing a Pep and building a super team rather than getting the most out of our current squad while he builds it up.

Today was probably the worst performance so far under Jose's reign and no different from the Moyes or LVG shit shows.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We need to pick ourselves up like asap! Only half way through the season and this shit attitude. If they have a problem with the attacking part of their game, they should open their big mouths and say something to Jose and the coaches! Everybody looking fecking clueless!

MrBest

I hope Jose don't get money to spend. We don't need new players we need a attacking manager. This pumping balls into the box is something you expect of a mid table team. Liverpool Chelsea arsenal city spurs all play great football. How we are 3rd is a miracle itself.

joedirt87

Seeing Pogba play the useless Rooney role and sitting 30-40 yards deep is truly next level managing

TheReligion

Abusive
Agree it was beyond awful. But fans gave no encouragment whatsoever until Martial came on. They could make a little bit of noise?!
If I'd of been at the game today I'd of been pissed off. Literally felt that the players couldn't give a hoot.

Turkleton

Do we even have an attacking coach? There's no logic to our attacks and everything looks so disjointed. Like strangers playing together for the first time.

United492

I put this all down to Mourinho, I really do. The first part of the season Mkhi was flying, assists all over the place. Then we start coming up against the 'big' teams and Mourinho's tactics kick in and suffocate any attacking talent we have - how are they supposed to take any confidence out of that? No wonder Mkhi is shot to pieces.

I'm not a Mkhi fanboy, but he is actually probably one of our best players. We've bluffed our way into our current position. When we were putting 4 past teams earlier in the season it was only in 10 minute spells, we weren't exactly dominating matches were we. We haven't been great all season, but with the attacking talent and the speed we have in the team we should at least be testing teams like Southampton at home!

For me it's typical Mourinho. Blames everyone else. Luke Shaw does well, but makes one misplaced pass and Mourinho is in his ear calling him a c***. Thanks for your motivation Jose.

He's lost the players.

Would you want to play for him?

shabz

We are awful. No one cared on the pitch, and everything was slow. We have had no urgency in the last 5 seasons, no work rate, no closing down, no ambition and no mettle.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Poor. Toothless. Pathetic.
You must copy and paste these replies every week. (The first month of the season aside).

I genuinely think that Liverpool game killed our confidence as a team, we were steamrolling teams 4 - 0 so regularly that it became a joke around here! Then Mourinho set up against Liverpool in the most cowardly fashion and basically told the players that he doesn't trust them, and from that point on there was only one thing that was going to happen, players playing with the knowledge that their manager has no faith in them.

Well done zapping the players confidence Mou.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Made the most passes and crosses of any player on the pitch while he was on it. Also gave the ball away too much and couldnt cross with his left foot.

If you only focus on the 2nd sentence you weren't really watching.
Thank you but I was watching and I just finished watching extended highlights. Made most passes and crosses mean absolutely feck all if his crosses are absolute garbage. I wonder if he wasn't also the one with the most missplaced passes either.
Crossing with his left shouldn't be an excuse for sending the ball into row Z or 3 meters high I'm sorry.

MarchingOn

Yes. Because the players would believe he wanted to be here. If us lot can't see how bad it is having a boss that does not commit to the area, then we've even bigger issues. He needs to commit. He hasn't. Simple as.
Right. That must be our problem. Not lack of squad depth.

Twisted Nerve

No doubt Jose will be asked to explain his comment regarding the referee, because we can't have people giving their opinions now can we, that's just not acceptable.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
That was poor. All the confidence seems to have evaporated. Surely it must be down to Mourinho to instil the confidence.

Mkhi was very poor, Lingard was atrocious and Rashford totally hopeless. Mata and Martial tried to get something going but it seemed like we were playing with only 6 or 7 players most of the time. Pogba gets by-passed half the time but was so eager to do something probably prevented Martial's shot going in.
Even with how poorly we played we could have scored a few with more composure.

Not happy, the players have the ability, something is wrong - get it right Mourinho.
Martial has to start on Monday.

FrenchRed

One chance of any note created in 93 minutes, is that front 4 really so bad or is there more to it? The team looks devoid of heart and belief.
I do think they are that bad. Unproven, young and not up to the required level.

We are devoid of quality in the final 3rd and need to invest quickly.

Camilo

We had no pace in wide areas and a fellow who has been abysmal played for 42 minutes. It was close to our best 11 but those little changes make a big difference in attack, obviously.
It was a shite performance, but the lineup was utterly fine. You can't be playing your best 11 every game (although we basically did), and you shouldn't have to against dregs like Southampton.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Well, this time it was a dig at the players. It seems we have manager who lets attacking players do their stuff however they see fit, which is not going to work if the players themself have hardly any idea how to crack down defenses, yet may treat any attempts at introducing organized attacking play as limiting their creativity. I know it's easy to say, but why not keep the ball, get players in positions to execute a play, play couple fast passes and shoot ?
Not gonna work with this lot. Honestly, I'm beginning to think that it's really some of our players holding us back. They're not satisfied with anything. LVG too strict, Mourinho too lax. I haven't got a clue what to think.

TheReligion

Abusive
I hope Jose don't get money to spend. We don't need new players we need a attacking manager. This pumping balls into the box is something you expect of a mid table team. Liverpool Chelsea arsenal city spurs all play great football. How we are 3rd is a miracle itself.
Lets be honest we were playing good stuff earlier this season. Recently has been dog turd but let's not vanish the rest of the season away.

This team IS capable of more. We know that as we have seen it. It's clear the city game has hit us hard but the players have to man up and take responsibility for their own personal performances as to me there's too many hiding right now and it's not good enough.

TRD

Another home draw. Completely ruined the festive period. And what worst, we are at third. A month ago if you have asked anyone where United will finish, people will say in top 2 but now it looks like we will not even make top 4. Missing Sir Alex days who can make likes of Andreson, Cleverley and Buttner look better than these players.

Referee was the best Southampton player on the pitch. Clear penalty, Boufal should have been sent off. He was more lenient towards Saints players/

Mkhitaryan has to go.

Lingard is just about the luck. If he is lucky, he will score a great goal otherwise he is average.

Rashford need a hair dryer.

Needs to buy world class players in January.

Youngsters like Gomes, Tuanzebe, Gribbin and Chong should be given chance in first team. They might perform better than so called first team players.

Andersons Dietician

Looking at the fixture list I reckon there is a chance Jose could get the sack in March. Everton isn’t going to be an easy game then we have Spurs and Liverpool to play. Not convinced the team in this state is a shoe in to beat Derby, We also have Sevilla who aren’t mugs.
If he gets knocked out of the champs league at that stage and top 4 looks in question.....

DavidDeSchmikes

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho: "I think it is also a disappointing afternoon for Craig [Pawson, the referee] because he's a fantastic referee, one of the best in Europe.

"We missed easy chances but I'm really unhappy with the penalty, not with Pawson's performance - Today I think Craig had a good performance, it was a big decision to make from Craig.

"I'm happy with the players' attitude, the players' desires and I'm very happy with my place."

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It is when it’s the team I love and to see it being mismanaged so badly is very frustrating. Others seem happy to passively watch while we continue to drift along aimlessly. Trusting Mourinho to do the job when everything points to him not being able to do it.
Start a Mourinho out thread then :)

For me it's the start over yet again and who do you turn to? There aren't many obvious candidates. And don't mention Ancelotti.

TheReligion

Abusive
That was poor. All the confidence seems to have evaporated. Surely it must be down to Mourinho to instil the confidence.

Mkhi was very poor, Lingard was atrocious and Rashford totally hopeless. Mata and Martial tried to get something going but it seemed like we were playing with only 6 or 7 players most of the time. Pogba gets by-passed half the time but was so eager to do something probably prevented Martial's shot going in.
Even with how poorly we played we could have scored a few with more composure.

Not happy, the players have the ability, something is wrong - get it right Mourinho.
Martial has to start on Monday.
I don't think you can totally blame the manager.

Where is the players self pride?

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton