PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 March 2019

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I disagree. It's definitely a nice notion. However, going against the team instructions for the sake of a romantic idea (needed to word that better!) is not good. The fact Pogba took it and there were no arguments is a good sign. No questions asked...just get on with it mantra.

Also, if Lukaku had have taken it and skewiffed it, then it brings negativity all over again. Allow him his game changing day at the office.

A quite magnificent win when all momentum seemed to be against us.

Absolutely. It's been like this for weeks now. Under Jose every now and then a wild game was had, swiftly followed by dire mediocrity at best. United is back, with all the tension and nerves it used to bring.

I'm loving that what I wished for might yet come true. Us 4th, Tottenham 5th...just to put well and truly to bed the idea of Poch being a shoo in ahead of Ole. But us 3rd and them 5th is absolutely fine by me!

He's certainly getting his fair share of late. But each consecutive tweak he made turned to goal. Pereira more central areas in the second half....goal and as assist. Dalot on the right....assist and time and again opening up space not previously there. Pogba further forward at the end, pivot and more danger. Fred brought on...assist for the winner. Unbelievable.

Decent overview. Pereira for his goal and assist was brilliant. Everything else was very ropey. But given the eventual difference his contribution made I'll cut him slack.

How good is Shaw of late?! Dalot is going to be the most dynamic and vital signing we've made in the coming years.

Sanchez....good lord. The footballing grim reaper is banging down his door. He should've come to us all those years ago after Udinese.

Agree that Pogba should be taken off penalties or at least completely change his run up. Some might argue that if he's in control of his run up and most of his eventual strikes are with conviction and accuracy, then what's the problem. I just feel that run up has potential to add a randomizer to an already nervous situation.

Hahah for once no, I am glad to report. Two stunningly precise right foot finishes. Finishes from rare opportunities that the likes of Aguero and Nistelrooy and so on would be proud of.
Pogba needs to be off penalty duties. That's like the third penalty he has missed for us this season.

Tony247

It is usually best for no. 9 to take the penalty regularly. They are best poachers within the team. High probability of conversion.

Resch

The ref gave us two presents with ignoring Smalling and Youngs fouls. Hasenhüttel was right to complain and we were lucky as hell.
The team fought and deserved the win.

VAR will end Smallings football career. He uses his hands all the time and without blind refs and without luck he can not defend anyone....

SoCross

It is usually best for no. 9 to take the penalty regularly. They are best poachers within the team. High probability of conversion.
Lukaku has according to the stats taken 11 penalties in his career and has missed 5. Pogba has taken the same number and has missed 4 including yesterday's penalty.

He should have gone for the corner like he usually does.

Jeffthered

Pogba was pretty bad in all departments. But today showed that even our best player can have a poor game and we can still win. Lukaku was incredible.
He needs a rest. Badly. I'm actually pleased he is suspended for PSG. He could do with another game or two where he is rested. Probably mentally shattered.

bushyboy

Great win considering the injuries!

People berating Pogba for not giving Lukaku the penalty have probably never played football. The designated player always takes it.

Great to play the youngsters but I hope Ole gets backed financially for next season. We need 4 more top players (RW, RB, CM, CB) to challenge for the league and CL.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Not sure I agree with your analogy. A horse and dog are qualitatively different. A central midfielder who can't defend is a deficient midfielder, no matter how good he is on the ball.
I'm not sure Pogba is a central midfielder.

We've been using him more as a forward player ahead of Matic and Herrera.

Since we've picked up injuries and put him back into more a left midfield based role his performance levels have dropped imo.

Before he was picking the ball up in the attacking third and picking forward passes quickly or driving forwards himself. Now he just seems to be on the wing struggling to impact the game as much as he should.

Dolf

Since we've picked up injuries and put him back into more a left midfield based role his performance levels have dropped imo.

Before he was picking the ball up in the attacking third and picking forward passes quickly or driving forwards himself. Now he just seems to be on the wing struggling to impact the game as much as he should.
True. We've seen it at Juventus and now here too. Pogba needs two midfielders behind him who can do most of the defending.

Bestofthebest

Not necessarily the case. Poaching goals and converting penalties is like chalk and cheese. Seen plenty of great poachers who could not be relied on to convert penalties, one that I played with could not quite get this into his head until the manager banned him from taking them.

Bestietom

You can see that Pogba needs a rest, but we need him for the remaining 9 games and the sooner Matic and Herrera are back the better for us. Pogba is out on Wednesday night so he will have a little rest before the weekend game against Arsenal. I just hope we have players back for this game especially in Midfield.

crossy1686

career ending
You can see that Pogba needs a rest, but we need him for the remaining 9 games and the sooner Matic and Herrera are back the better for us. Pogba is out on Wednesday night so he will have a little rest before the weekend game against Arsenal. I just hope we have players back for this game especially in Midfield.
He spent most of the season on strike or benched, he doesn't need a rest but he does put big shifts in and looks laboured due to his posture/stance. He won't play until Arsenal now anyway and I'm pretty sure he's going to unleash beast mode on them after missing Wednesday's game.

MadMike

VAR will end Smallings football career. He uses his hands all the time and without blind refs and without luck he can not defend anyone....
Imagine thinking Smalling can only defend thanks to blind refs and shirt holding. Imagine being 100% certain that a player is too stupid to adapt to VAR when that comes in.

What a car crash of a post.

Gordon S

Yes, Pogba is just not a regular versatile central mid that can do a bit of both. Both Mourinho and Dechamps believes he is for some reason. But he often looks a bit meh in that position. He always comes alive and plays his best football in the attacking third.
I think his size is fooling both managers and fans into thinking he is some midfield general in the Robson mould?
I think Ole understands what kind of player he is but with both Matic and Herrera out he has no option but to use him more as a central mid unfortunately.

tony54

Great to see us win like that. We weren't at out best but we never gave up. You don't win every game playing vintage football and im tired of our 'fans' expecting fifa performances every time we take the field. This is the Manchester United I grew up watching and im so chuffed to have us back
Youŕe right, theres too many of us expecting too much in every game and as you say it was the same when Fergy was the manager.
On another note it has been a delight to see Dalot perform well and Oly will be pleased he got results during a difficult time.

tony54

The ref gave us two presents with ignoring Smalling and Youngs fouls. Hasenhüttel was right to complain and we were lucky as hell.

It could us dearly in a cup match when refs are more hyped up. He needs to calm it down before he loses us an important win. Refs will know about him and in time there'll come a time when they will be out to get him.

Alabaster Codify7

Poor, poor performance but a crucial 3pts and a SAF type smash and grab win in the end. Can't fault the players for not giving up, but that was our worst showing under Ole apart from PSG. Really poor.

Chuffed for Lukaku grabbing another two goals, Pereira's goal was a screamer after a torrid first half.

The fact is, our second string midfielders are lower-half-of-the-table quality, a massive drop off from Matic-Pogba-Herrera. We must resolve our depth issues this summer, but I can't see us doing it unfortunately.

ZupZup

Just on the criticism of Pogba for not giving the penalty to Rom... sitting behind that goal, it looked very much to me like Pogba did offer him the penalty and he told Pogba to take it.

Rom’s comments after the match in his interview also suggest that this was the case.

I don’t think it’s fair to suggest Pogba was wrong to take it when you don’t know exactly what was said between the two of them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No doubt we deserved the win and maybe those attacking Rom might shut up for a few minutes (although I doubt it). I saw the full 90 mins on Sky in the evening and was amazed at how much criticism Perriera got from the cafe, compared to his actual performance. OK, not great in the first half but very good in the second. And, no he'll never be a Roy Keane and may not even have a future at United but from the comments in the Match Day section, you'd have thought he had two left feet. But then, those people attacking him probably moaned about Rooney and, before that, Carrick. If anyone deserved criticism yesterday it was Pogba, who was poor and shouldn't be allowed to take penalties any more, and DDG really should have saved the first goal. Looking at his reaction afterwards, I think he would agree. It's also time to call time on Young's United career.

Positives: Sanchez played some good passes before he got injured, the goals were great, we attacked with pace, Shaw had another great game. I know we are struggling with injuries but I think we have to rest Rashford and let that knock heal properly

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Just managed to watch the full match.

Cracking start and unlucky not to be a couple of goals up within 5 minutes.
Southampton played well , pressed and put in a lot of energy.

Came back well in the second half. Lukaku Mom and not just for his goals, Pereira had a good game, as did Shaw.
Dalot coming on seemed to change the game and Fred did well when coming on.

Thought McTominay and Rashford were below par and Sanchez did very little.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

In European matches both would have been given in my opinion. Smalling is a terrific defender, but I have stated before that almost every corner or cross that comes in, his arms are very often on or around an opponent, and with VAR that will be a penalty. Unless he can be coached not to use his arms in that way, then he may have to go, Young also is a bit headstrong, and uses his hands and arms a lot, and does do stupid things, I hope we can get a replacement in the summer for him.

crossy1686

career ending
There was a moment yesterday where I knew that Sanchez was finished at this level.

Pogba played a through ball and Rashford let it run for Sanchez who was already in the box. Instead of being alert and anticipating the through ball, he stands square and when Rahsford lets the ball run through, he has to chase it instead of being in a position to just slot it home. Pogba then has a right go at him because that ball was meant for him and it was only him that wasn't aware of it.

Can't help but feel a deadly sharp Sanchez would have been all over that a few years ago. Now he's just wanting the ball to feet constantly so he can lay it off. It's sad to see now.

crossy1686

career ending
Can you elaborate? Why do some posters respond with such confusion but provide no counter argument? Are you ok pal?
Pogba had a frustrating match but he wasn't bad, apart from the last 5 minutes maybe. We're so used to him scoring or getting an assist from a 50 yard through ball that when it doesn't happen he looks off. He put a shift in yesterday and played well, he's a constant threat and scares the life out of the opposition.

Silas

Isn't it obvious that he needed to hold back a bit so he could cover for Scott and Andreas, neither of whom are that good at defending?

midou

Dalot needs to play either as RB or RW, he is the best option at both positions.

predator

Youth NITK
Pogba had a frustrating match but he wasn't bad, apart from the last 5 minutes maybe. We're so used to him scoring or getting an assist from a 50 yard through ball that when it doesn't happen he looks off. He put a shift in yesterday and played well, he's a constant threat and scares the life out of the opposition.
I agree regarding his presence but imo I think it wasn't a good game for him because my expectations of him are so high. He's still the best midfielder in the world though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Isn't it obvious that he needed to hold back a bit so he could cover for Scott and Andreas, neither of whom are that good at defending?
Yes but he isn't that good at defending either. He gets back ok, he just seems to start daydreaming once he's there.

I think we need to stop using this diamond midfield thing as it doesn't seem to suit any of our midfielders. Mctominay is left isolated, Pereira and Pogba seem to drift too far wide and struggle to make an impact...I'm not even sure what Sanchez was supposed to be doing.

It was little different when we had Mata, Matic, Herrera etc. as part of the same system.

If it's going to be four in midfield I think you need Pogba as the furthest advanced, and the two wider midfielders need to be a lot less wide than they currently are. We struggle for options on the ball and end up sat very deep when we don't have it because there's no one there to stop opposition players advancing through the middle with the ball.

I actually thought the players performed really well for the most part yesterday, but they were clearly struggling with the system, particularly in the first half. Second half we seemed to tweak something because Pogba and Pereira were popping up in much more useful areas.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hang on, if Scott McTom isn't any good at defending, what the heck is he in the team for?
Is tackling etc not defending?

He certainly isn't any sort of creative force or ball player.

Frank Grimes

But they've lost more points. That doesn't scream control to me.
Control within games does not equal winning games and vice versa. I'm delighted they're dropping points but I also can't deny they still pass and control games better than us.

I am delighted with United's progress just pointing out that I think we need to improve in how we control games and improve in possession.

That's my last word on it as some people are getting the wrong impression.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Control within games does not equal winning games and vice versa. I'm delighted they're dropping points but I also can't deny they still pass and control games better than us.

I am delighted with United's progress just pointing out that I think we need to improve in how we control games and improve in possession.

That's my last word on it as some people are getting the wrong impression.
I get where you're coming from now but there's a trade off between consistently controlling games and taking the risk to get the 3 points. Considering we have 4 key first XI players out, it's quite a good achievement to continue the run we have.

Frank Grimes

I get where you're coming from now but there's a trade off between consistently controlling games and taking the risk to get the 3 points. Considering we have 4 key first XI players out, it's quite a good achievement to continue the run we have.
Not denying that, we've done amazingly considering our injuries. Thinking more in the macro than the micro, that's all.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Pretty standard to give a last minute penalty to a player on a hatrick if the game is already won. Also, he missed.
It may be standard at lesser clubs but not at a top club.I remember a game we were winning and towards the end we were awarded a pen, can’t recall the opposition.
Forlan was playing and I think Becks was our pen taker ( May be wrong) .He wanted to give the pen to Forlan but Keane intervened and Becks took and scored the pen.
It being professional.

Tony Babangida

It may be standard at lesser clubs but not at a top club.I remember a game we were winning and towards the end we were awarded a pen, can’t recall the opposition.
Forlan was playing and I think Becks was our pen taker ( May be wrong) .He wanted to give the pen to Forlan but Keane intervened and Becks took and scored the pen.
It being professional.
Fair enough. Also, seems from a post above that Pogba might have offered it to Lukaku who turned it down. Pogba needs to sort his penalty taking out though, not consistent enough for the number one penalty taker. I remember every time we got a pen with RVN in the team it was, Arsenal aside, a guaranteed goal.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 87% of 713 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 496 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw