PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 March 2019

IRELANDUNITED

A lot of chatter about Southampton playing well... they were okay. Our defence was solid (only 3 shots on goal) and they scored with two wonder strikes. DDG isn’t often beat twice outside the box. Young was having a hard time with Bertrand and Redmond. Ole bringing in Dalot gave Young more support.

We were bad in the first half, creating some chances but poor finishing and positioning hurting us.

I’d rather see Chong than Sanchez starting tbf. When will Martial be fit?

Everyone looked tired, especially Pogba and Rashford. 3 matches in 6 days is a bit heavy.

Just so glad we pulled through in the end. Went to the bathroom when Dalot was subbed in and was watching on my phone. We promptly scored two, so I couldn’t leave or our luck would turn. Spent the rest of the half in the damn bathroom. Never question the football gods. You’re welcome everyone.

That's deadication, any chance you could hang on there in the bathroom till we play PSG Wednesday night?

TRUERED89

4 goals in 2 games for Lukaku, very pleased for him, keep it up lad! Just like the old times today, Perreira with a screamer as well. This just keeps getting better at the moment, and with so many injuries it makes this even more remarkable.

SoCross

Why on earth are people criticising the decision to not let Lukaku take the penalty? 3-2, last few minutes, it should always be the designated taker. Professional decision but of course since he missed it, I suppose we will now have to hear about how selfish Pogba was!

Maticmaker

I was just lamenting on how ineffective Pereira had been … when he hit that screamer! That sort of game!!

Run_time_error

Smalling is my worry. I've never seen anyone hold, pull shirts and generally foul as much as him and get away with it almost every time. Sooner or later the refs are going to call it and we'll be in real trouble. He still had a great game but talk about living on the edge.
I was about to write the above and then thought, wait a minute...

It's games like that when you wish you were the famous "neutral" so you can really enjoy it, but I'm not so the relief at the end is what you cling to.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Prediction:

Dalot will end up as a right attacking winger the same way Bale did. But he'll be better
Really? Can you really say you are being objective here?

Frank Grimes

Funny game. I don't think we played well tbh. Our inability to control games is a worry for me, we still struggle to develop passing phases and are largely reliant on moments rather than a fixed style of play.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not much of a surprise where the problem was 1st half. No midfield.

Sanchez can't play with pogba also.
Visual representations at how useless Sanchez is on a football field. He has 0 intelligence on the pitch and just does not read the game like Herrera does. Has no clue how to retain possession and what kind of positions to take up.

He can’t see past the headless running and schoolboy pointless dribbling when he’s briefly got the ball at his feet.

It doesn’t help either that he has this personal grudge against pogba.

Rajma

Funny game. I don't think we played well tbh. Our inability to control games is a worry for me, we still struggle to develop passing phases and are largely reliant on moments rather than a fixed style of play.
Not surpising when you miss 4/6 of the first team front players, is it? Any team would struggle under similar circumstances to do what you said.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Their centre back, Vestergaard, was impressive today. I'd not seen him play before. Unbeatable in the air. There was one moment he intercepted a low cross running towards his own goal, and somehow made the ball just stop dead when it looked certain he'd bundle it in to his own goal.

Don't know how he's fared over the course of the season, but he looked solid today.

MrBest

A little concerned we have been struggling to control the game and are conceding too many chances but i think it just underlines how good ander is these days. We really miss him along side Matic. Other than that, great 3 points, need to be keeping in the mix. Happy for Lukaku, he has had a lot of stick but two excellent finishes today.

Frank Grimes

Not surpising when you miss 4/6 of the first team front players, is it? Any team would struggle under similar circumstances to do what you said.
I'm talking more as a general point than this game in particular. Winning is great but we still fail to totally dominate matches imo. Our wins against Spurs, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace and today all had an element of good fortune imo.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's very encouraging to see us still grind out wins and create loads even with the injuries and on top of that Pogba and Rashford not bring quite as on it as usual. You need others to step up and we're seeing that under Ole.

Canagel

Visual representations at how useless Sanchez is on a football field. He has 0 intelligence on the pitch and just does not read the game like Herrera does. Has no clue how to retain possession and what kind of positions to take up.

He can’t see past the headless running and schoolboy pointless dribbling when he’s briefly got the ball at his feet.

It doesn’t help either that he has this personal grudge against pogba.
he's always been like that. he failed at Barcelona because they stress the importance of dicispline and trusting your teammates to find you. at arsenal they simply had to accept his cheap losses of possesion and wenger indulged him because they didn't have any other big names. sanchez is still the same player he was 7/8 years ago but minus the mobility and burst to get away from challenges.

OldPop

An entertaining and exciting match with five great goals. Important three points. Lukaku became my MOTM because of his efficiency in front of the goal.

Pereira and Dalot made great progress, at least in the offensive game. McTomminay a little more tired today but still okay, even Fred. The defense work in the midfield was bad, except for Pogba.

Great that our "reserve players" show that they want to fight for the starting places, but Sanchez doesn't seem to be able to do it anymore. Maybe it was the last time we saw him on the pitch.

Shark

@NotShark
I'm talking more as a general point than this game in particular. Winning is great but we still fail to totally dominate matches imo. Our wins against Spurs, Newcastle, Leicester, Palace and today all had an element of good fortune imo.
What on earth do you mean by dominate? We’re a team that was lingering in 7th place over 2 months ago. Since Ole has taken over I don’t think we’ve scored a single bad goal and have even outscored Spurs who apparently have a manager the Ole doubters still want. Did we ever dominate games under SAF? Efficiency can be just as effective.

Irrational.

Hasenhuttl: "First half there were two situations for a penalty and I think maybe he can give one and then the game is in a completely different way.

"In the second half the goal was offside. Very close but it was and with VAR maybe the result will be a different one."

This wouldn't look out of place coming out of Klopp's mouth. Comes across extremely bitter and refusing to give us any credit.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Great from Rom

The commentator was a massive cnut

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Why on earth are people criticising the decision to not let Lukaku take the penalty? 3-2, last few minutes, it should always be the designated taker. Professional decision but of course since he missed it, I suppose we will now have to hear about how selfish Pogba was!
Exactly. It is the managers decision to deviate from the normal penalty taker not the players.

People make out like Pogba is some kind of ego maniac that wanted the glory, when in reality all he was doing was following his managers instructions.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
When you realize that you are 3 points off third place. If Tottenham keeps dropping points they are going to end up in 5th or 6th place before season ends.

http://solskjaertabellen.com/- Manchester United are best in literally every table metric since OGS came to the club. Except for conceded goals, Liverpool has 8 in 12 games, we have 9.

That is just beasting through the season, what a time.

Moriarty

"In the second half the goal was offside. Very close but it was and with VAR maybe the result will be a different one."
"In the first half, Bertrand's tackle on Lukaku was a gentle caress. In return, he gets his faced rubbed into the touchline leaving him with terrible self-esteem problems. If that had not happened, we would have won."

BulgarianDevil91

Great spirit by the team, another fantastic performance by Lukaku up front!

On a side note, thank God Redmond went bald, so now it's easy for me to tell him and Bertrand apart.

eggwithsideburns

Pleased for Lukaku, his confidence should be sky high now.

It was a very entertaining game to watch for the most part. So many positives surrounding united at the mo

Frank Grimes

What on earth do you mean by dominate? We’re a team that was lingering in 7th place over 2 months ago. Since Ole has taken over I don’t think we’ve scored a single bad goal and have even outscored Spurs who apparently have a manager the Ole doubters still want. Did we ever dominate games under SAF? Efficiency can be just as effective.
A lot of our wins have been fortunate.

SirFergie

We have a fixed style of play. Our problem is missing first choice players who have been trained to do it over the past 3 months. Amazing people don't see this.

Frank Grimes

We have a fixed style of play. Our problem is missing first choice players who have been trained to do it over the past 3 months. Amazing people don't see this.
We still struggle to pass the ball forward with any great fluidity imo. Even with our best team we had large spells against Spurs, Leicester, Newcastle and Burnley where our passing was poor. Delighted we're winning and this is not a dig at anyone but would we must improve in this area going forward. I want United to challenge for big prizes again and we won't be able to do that totally relying on counter attack and moments. More sustained pressure and passing movements is the way forward.

stu_1992

Made that difficult for ourselves today. Some great goals on show in that game. Lukaku with a very good game with some impressive goals. Shame he didn't get to take the penalty though. That was Perreira's first big game for us too, so hopefully he can press on from here. I haven't been too impressed with him up until this point.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 87% of 713 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 496 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw