PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 March 2019

freddie the red

I was about to write the above and then thought, wait a minute...

It's games like that when you wish you were the famous "neutral" so you can really enjoy it, but I'm not so the relief at the end is what you cling to.
As opposed to Mike.....it's the oppos he clings to:houllier::nono:

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Why on earth are people criticising the decision to not let Lukaku take the penalty? 3-2, last few minutes, it should always be the designated taker. Professional decision but of course since he missed it, I suppose we will now have to hear about how selfish Pogba was!
The penalty was struck at what, 93/94th minute? Surely you must expect Man United to hold their own for 2 minutes against Southampton at home. Lukaku's not a goalie, too so high chances he would've scored that. I'd like us to have such trivial problems, though.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
De Gea - Two unstoppable shots found their way into the goal, which by his standards is a really poor game.

ASHLEY Young - Please can someone tell him to stop playing the same aimless ball up the line every time he gets possession
Smalling - He makes us better at headering things
Lindelof - The beacon of not quite sheer panicking competence that our defence otherwise lacks
Luke SHAW - Good overall but was a regular bonus participant in the Pogba and Sanchez first half "feck around pointlessly with the ball without ever putting it in the box" show
Luke Young - I don't know who this is but apparently he played well for us today

McTominay - We wouldn't play Matic or Herrera all on their own in central midfield for an entire half of a game, so why did it seem like a good idea to do with Mctominay?
Pereira - Decent when he wasn't playing as a pointless secondary right wingers
Pogba - Decent when he wasn't playing as a pointless secondary left winger

Sanchez - Played a good ball to Luke Young at one point. You know you sh*thouse too much when you actually get injured and your own team don't believe you and carry on playing
Rashford - Decent enough. Chance squandering. Cheated to win penalty...although acceptable given that SOuthamptons main tactic all game was diving.
Lukaku - Confusing mix of the Lukaku that was so good last season and Emile Heskey version that has been so bad this. Scored his two hardest chances. Will happily take it if he gets two goals a game.

Subs
Dalot - Love how after the first couple of touches he just decided he was the best player on the pitch and started shooting from everywhere. Looks a very good player when he has the confidence
Fred - "Why are you bringing one of the mascots on?"...my dad's one contribution to today's game.
Chong - MOTM

Overall - I thought this was great. Wish we'd stop setting up with the rubbish diamond midfield that basically means we have no midfield, but the performance from the players was fantastic. We scored three goals we had no right to score, missed a penalty, missed three easy headers, missed a couple of chances where we were straight through against their keeper, somehow missed when Rashford and Lukaku managed to both miss a semi open goal at the same time, had a few good long range efforts which were close. On another day no wonder goals are scored and we win 4-0.

Bertrand vs Redmon dive off - Ended in a score draw of about 15 each.
Southampton - They were pretty good and deserve credit for going for a win, but need to stop thinking they are the new Stoke with all the tactical cheating.

Top three Southampton cheat fails
3 - Austin (I think) going down holding his face after a leg based challenge, not getting a freekick, getting booed by the whole stadium, then being riled by the booing and booting the ball off for a goal kick next time he got it
2 - Random Southampton player clearly diving in the middle of the pitch after mistaking a team mate for a United player and pretending they had fouled him, causing the ball to roll freely to a confused Lukaku. Bertrand then tries to take Lukaku out with some kind of scissor karate move and bounces off him causing an even more confused Lukaku to run towards the Southampton goal
1 - After applying pressure on the United goal for a solid 5 minutes, for some reason then taking the ball into the corner flag to try and time waste, despite not being in the lead and there still being 4 minutes of normal time left, causing Pogba to walk over and take the ball away, which then led to the winning goal.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We still struggle to pass the ball forward with any great fluidity imo. Even with our best team we had large spells against Spurs, Leicester, Newcastle and Burnley where our passing was poor. Delighted we're winning and this is not a dig at anyone but would we must improve in this area going forward. I want United to challenge for big prizes again and we won't be able to do that totally relying on counter attack and moments. More sustained pressure and passing movements is the way forward.
Pos Teams P W D L G S G A DIFF Pts
Man United 12 10 2 0 29 9 20 32
2Manchester City 12 9 0 3 28 10 18 27
3 Liverpool 11 7 3 1 27 8 19 24
4 Arsenal 12 7 2 3 24 16 8 23
5 Tottenham 12 7 1 4 25 14 11 22

http://solskjaertabellen.com/

I think its a little unfair, just maybe, to say that we rely on counter attack and moments. No team has scored more in the PL than us since OGS arrived. With only 1 more goal conceded in that timespan than Liverpool.

Addled

So once again Pogba can’t defend. Eventually we will learn and we will laugh when he stops running towards his own goal. It will be such a laugh.
Until then it will be every other players fault so they are all frauds (obviously except the new hirsute Paul) and the sooner they are all dropped the better

noodlehair

"It's like..."

I think its a little unfair, just maybe, to say that we rely on counter attack and moments. No team has scored more in the PL than us since OGS arrived. With only 1 more goal conceded in that timespan than Liverpool.
That table also doesn't account for comfortable away wins at both Chelsea and Arsenal in the cup.

Liverpool also rely on counter attacks and moments rather than dominating an entire game. I don't think it's an entirely inaccurate description of how we've been playing but it shouldn't just be dismissed as inadequate...it's an effective way to play. Some games we've executed it better than in others.

Today was more about just finding a way to win once we were a goal down, and we created a whole load of chances and scored 3 goals. The second half was one of the more impressive performances all season for me.

Okey

Phew! Just like the exhilarating days of old. We may not be at our best, but we win games, and refuse to be beaten. Lukaku looking leaner and fitter. There might just be some hope there. Great match for the neutral. I'm still still sewing my nerves together...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So once again Pogba can’t defend. Eventually we will learn and we will laugh when he stops running towards his own goal. It will be such a laugh.
Until then it will be every other players fault so they are all frauds (obviously except the new hirsute Paul) and the sooner they are all dropped the better
I think it's fair to criticise him for some of his defensive work. Though I also think at this point, playing Pogba in a role that requires defensive work then being surprised that he doesn't do it well, is akin to entering a horse into Crufts and then blaming the horse when it gets disqualified. Use him for what he's good at.

Stesaurus

Winning while playing badly, sign of a great team, right? Righhhht?
The run has to come to an end some time but I'm really enjoying it while it lasts.

Dalot needs to start more and I really can't see him giving away a goal per game like Young currently. We've missed Young diving for penalties also so I can't quite understand why those roles are currently reversed.
Sanchez pribprob done for the season so hopefully one of the youngsters steps up.

Frank Grimes

It has been our softest fixture run of the season. I'm not saying we don't attack and our goal record is impressive. My point is that we still don't control games like the top teams and find it hard to keep possession at times. Luckily we are getting the rub of the green at the moment but that won't always be the case if we don't pass better in future.

Run_time_error

Wonder if we might buy Valery, scored a blinder but looked good going forward and might have been the reason Rashford seemed a bit off. I could keep Sanchez quiet, by the way.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It has been our softest fixture run of the season. I'm not saying we don't attack and our goal record is impressive. My point is that we still don't control games like the top teams and find it hard to keep possession at times. Luckily we are getting the rub of the green at the moment but that won't always be the case if we don't pass better in future.
Who does control games other than City?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Liverpool too. These are the teams we have to overtake to win the title in the coming years. Also if we are to progress in Europe.
Ole has more points than Klopp since he took over United. Can you explain what makes you think they are controlling games better than we are?

Charlie Foley

A lot of chatter about Southampton playing well... they were okay. Our defence was solid (only 3 shots on goal) and they scored with two wonder strikes. DDG isn’t often beat twice outside the box. Young was having a hard time with Bertrand and Redmond. Ole bringing in Dalot gave Young more support.

We were bad in the first half, creating some chances but poor finishing and positioning hurting us.

I’d rather see Chong than Sanchez starting tbf. When will Martial be fit?

Everyone looked tired, especially Pogba and Rashford. 3 matches in 6 days is a bit heavy.

Just so glad we pulled through in the end. Went to the bathroom when Dalot was subbed in and was watching on my phone. We promptly scored two, so I couldn’t leave or our luck would turn. Spent the rest of the half in the damn bathroom. Never question the football gods. You’re welcome everyone.
Top man

quackattack

Apart from the fact that I would rather win every game with a comfortable margin, it was exciting and entertaining. The fact that there was some screamers did much for the entertainment. Got some good ol United vibes from the comback, but generally I would want United to rather win by 2-3 goals.

Cockney Phil

After the game, It felt like the late 90s all over again except I wasn’t in the Macari Cafe eating M&P pie with chips and a cup o’ tea arguing over what we just saw.

Lukaku’s enigma variations need a musical score. Like a fish out of water for 80% of the pitch but some kind of goal shark in the oppos area. It’s bizarrely consolling to know he won’t reproduce that form against the top clubs, where his half way line richochet’s start an oppos counter. However, Pogba was wrong to take the penalty away from Lukaku and made worse with his stupid antics only to miss.

Sanchez was subbed and we immediately looked threatening - oh dear... Andreas scored a cracker and De Gea was beaten by 2 crackers - who said long shorts are uneconomic? I gave Andreas MoTM solely for stepping up after a lot of shit from the Sacked One and finally showing what he can do. Dalot was also sharper by a mile. The rest looked tired. Play the kids on Wednesday, and run PSG ragged.

buchansleftleg

I hope Sanchez recovers from his injury soon. I also hope we don't need to use him until a final home game of the season with 3rd place confirmed.

He can piggyback on the applause that the crowd will give Valencia and announce he is leaving the club as he is dragging the team down.

Lukaku is frustrating but you can't fault his effort.

Well played to the rest of the team too. Most credit goes to Ole and the brains trust for believing in youth and trusting them when injuries have forced their hand.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Wacky finishing could have nearly denied us a routine home win. We were good today. Not sure what there’s to moan about today. We created a reasonable amount and gave away little. Textbook.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Wacky finishing could have nearly denied us a routine home win. We were good today. Not sure what there’s to moan about today. We created a reasonable amount and gave away little. Textbook.
How does this XG map work?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Ole the Undefeated is achieving another impossible feat: turning Lukaku into an important player again.

Less-than-perfect match, but Luck is on our side again, SAF-style.

Tony Babangida

Rom should have taken that penalty. Pogba is an idiot for not giving it to him. Deserved a hatrick, glad he’s back in the goals when we need him to be.

Cantonagotmehere

What a game, really enjoyed that.

So happy for Pereira, great game for him.

Pogba looked very leggy but he will get a nice rest.

How's that Lukaku is fat crowd tonight?

peridigm

Rom should have taken that penalty. Pogba is an idiot for not giving it to him. Deserved a hatrick, glad he’s back in the goals when we need him to be.
Agree. Rom should have shown some balls and taken the ball from Pogba. Pogba is not captain and unless specifically told by Ole to take the penalty, Rom should have taken it. Would have done more for his confidence, but alas, Pogba takes and it's saved. No big deal.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Liverpool too. These are the teams we have to overtake to win the title in the coming years. Also if we are to progress in Europe.
Liverpool don't really though. They win games through counter attacks and forcing errors a lot more often than they do by controlling a majority of the play. THey don't have the players to do the later even if they wanted to.

We're not trying to overtake them or City this season, we're trying to give ourselves something to build on for next season. It's 13 wins in 16 games now, and that's included winning away at three of the top six. We look like a good team again. The standards I expect when I watch us play have gone up considerably in that time. First half of the season, and a majority of the last 6 years, I've been happy just not to see a catastrophe. Now I actually expect a level of performance. It's great because if it stays that way it means we actually have a platform to build on for next season.

nainaisson

...playing Pogba in a role that requires defensive work then being surprised that he doesn't do it well, is akin to entering a horse into Crufts and then blaming the horse when it gets disqualified.
Not sure I agree with your analogy. A horse and dog are qualitatively different. A central midfielder who can't defend is a deficient midfielder, no matter how good he is on the ball.

Sereques

How many times did we change formation in this match? Where are those Ole lack experience crew?

The way he use the players to hurt the opposition and mask our weaknesses is so beautiful.

nainaisson

How many times did we change formation in this match? Where are those Ole lack experience crew?

The way he use the players to hurt the opposition and mask our weaknesses is so beautiful.
We didn't really get going in the second half until Sanchez was replaced by Dalot. I think the fact that we were finally playing with 11 men on the pitch was more important than our changing formations.

Sereques

We didn't really get going in the second half until Sanchez was replaced by Dalot. I think the fact that we were finally playing with 11 men on the pitch was more important than our changing formations.
He changed to 3-5-2 when Dalot came on. Dalot and Shaw fullbacks with Andreas as #10. It created surplus in the midfield.

Ole is brilliant tactically.

Marcus

More tests passed:

1. Oppo goalie having a blinder.
2. Going behind to a magnificent once in a blue moon strike.
3. Game raising team.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 87% of 713 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 496 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win