PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 31 August 2019

I Am Zlatan

That is quite an important question actually. Do we practice of the ball movement, getting out of relentless pressing? Do we practice attacking patterns? Why on Earth would you play Mason on right wing, when he is the best finisher at the club?
My thought exactly.. also (thankfully some, very few actually improved under ole) but I almost forgot the feeling of when players improved under Fergie, when we bought players, promoted youth, beginning of the season, I knew and saw players improve with time/gel, etc.. Now it seems like almost everyone goes on a decline even some of the best players in the world..

Matt007a

I have to add.. that I reckon Lukaku would have got on the end of at least one of them.... (off to buy my hard hat, I can feel the abuse coming)
You’re right he would have been. Would have mis-controlled the ball into the net for at least one of them.

red_john

We seem to be very nervous before scoring the first goal. We get a goal and then it feels like the players mind set changes to 'we don't have to try as hard now'. We then have a sloppy 25mins and concede. We are then scrambling for the winner whilst also looking vulnerable. This has happened 3 games on the bounce. More work on the training ground is needed to score when teams sit back and defend because we look all out of ideas. Poor team selection and substitutions cost us today.

Dan_F

Not sure if it’s already been mentioned, but that bit in the second half when Mata was the only one pressing and threw his arms in the air in despair, because everyone else was just stood watching, tells a story. Baring in mind Mata is apparently not good enough because he can’t press.

I can’t work out if the players can’t be bothered or our staff are shit and can’t teach them how to press properly. Either way, that fitness excuse is looking more and more laughable. We can’t even do it at the start of the season with no midweek games.

DSG

Team loss. Everyone except Dan James was subpar. That includes Ole and the staff.

I am an Ole supporter, but I don’t know how long I can watch this without turning on him. Sadly, it’s the whole organization, but he’s the one who will pay the price.

Greggs11

We've been getting poor results since the PSG game last year.
We have been showing relegation form for several months.
I am not sure if some fans remember last season. To remind you we finished with a draw against the worst team in the league. Then Cardiff, who were already relegated beat us. And Ole had a big smile on his face following each of those matches.
Feels like he doesn't understand the implications of poor results

RedMilo

I thought the team selection wasn't great for the game today(it has to be Andreas or Mata for me, not both), having said that we aren't putting teams away when we are seemingly on top, and you cant blame the manager for that, the players have to find that killer instinct themselves.

I must say I prefer Martial up top with Rashford wide, Rashford decision making at times leaves a lot to be desired although time is still on his side to improve his game. McTominay was MOTM for me today, he gave an accomplished performance in midfield, Pogba was hit and miss by his standards, which made Scott's performance even more impressive.

Would have like to have seen Chong in this game, he commits defenders and has decent end product, which we are lacking in the final third. Im looking forward to the Carabao Cup game and the Europa League games, as Im hoping Dalot, Axel, Garner, Levitt, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood get some more game time, they may not be the answers to our prayers in the short term, but its the best hope we have of getting back to the top in the long term because the owners aren't committing to getting us back up the league, with a £60m net spend for a team that finished 6th, its a joke it really is.

OGS needs time guys, he is hamstrung with the set up. The team are very watchable, but watchable needs to become winning football asap.

Jericholyte2

Would question why two deeper CMs were needed for this match and others like it... surely a MF three of McT with Pogba and Gomes (hypothetically) in front would give the creativity that was needed.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
You’re right he would have been. Would have mis-controlled the ball into the net for at least one of them.
Lukaku scored some brilliant and crucial goals for United. He definitely should have been replaced, or else he should not have been sold and would have remained an option. It's very unfair and dishonest to trash Lukaku's record at the club. Getting rid of Lukaku whilst keeping both Rashford and Martial was a strange decision. It would have been better to keep Lukaku and sell one of the other two, particularly Martial.

Last edited:

dogwithabone

Not a natural finisher at the club. Results like this will be common place. Get used to it.

Steerpike

I thought the team selection wasn't great for the game today(it has to be Andreas or Mata for me, not both), having said that we aren't putting teams away when we are seemingly on top, and you cant blame the manager for that, the players have to find that killer instinct themselves.

I must say I prefer Martial up top with Rashford wide, Rashford decision making at times leaves a lot to be desired although time is still on his side to improve his game. McTominay was MOTM for me today, he gave an accomplished performance in midfield, Pogba was hit and miss by his standards, which made Scott's performance even more impressive.

Would have like to have seen Chong in this game, he commits defenders and has decent end product, which we are lacking in the final third. Im looking forward to the Carabao Cup game and the Europa League games, as Im hoping Dalot, Axel, Garner, Levitt, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood get some more game time, they may not be the answers to our prayers in the short term, but its the best hope we have of getting back to the top in the long term because the owners aren't committing to getting us back up the league, with a £60m net spend for a team that finished 6th, its a joke it really is.

OGS needs time guys, he is hamstrung with the set up. The team are very watchable, but watchable needs to become winning football asap.
Regarding the selection of Perreira and Mata, I think the choices were a bit limited with Lingard being in poor form. In retrospect, perhaps Greenwood could have been preferred to Perreira, but I can entirely understand why Ole may have felt that would leave us a bit lightweight.

I too thought McTominay had a decent game - not perfect, but committed and effective.

I think your observation regarding Pogba is generous - he was dreadful in the first half, but did improve when pushed further forward after Matic came on. Pogba is a conundrum in that he should, in theory at least, get more time and space playing in the deeper role, but this has to be balanced with him looking like an accident waiting to happen when on defensive duties. The problem is that teams now know that putting pressure on Pogba will often bear fruit in the form of a turnover, so they'll look to do it wherever he plays.

Dan James was impressive in most of what he did, and if he could improve his crossing he could become an outstanding player for us. Having said that, I'm still not sure that any of our forwards have the instincts to get into positions to take advantage of crosses (I'd like to see more of them threatening the near post). Maybe Greenwood could do a job centrally ...?

After Chelsea, the results have been diappointing, no doubt about that. However the football has, as you say, been very watchable and we have been a bit unlucky. The performances have warranted more points than we've gained.

Roughseas

Ole is going to turn it around after the break. Disappointing result but you can see an improvement over last weeks showing. The football he has tried to play is not doable for a team in poor form- he is being too vertical and those cross-field passes come off only when you are mentally OK. He needs to reel it back a bit, play with the ball closer to the feet.
He gave chances to the more senior players as he is supposed to, in the black holes that are Lingard and Pereira, but after the break I’m sure he will fully integrate the youngsters into the first team. Once there is a competent player in every position, the team will click. Exciting times!

Jeffthered

James, Bissaka and Maguire have made a positive difference. They bring a freshness to the side.

The rest seem like zombies. No inspiration. Almost forcing the issue. They're confused. Lack real genuine motivation and hunger, and earn massive wages.

We are a team with some deep rooted issues. I do not think OGS can get this mob going.

Jeffthered

Team loss. Everyone except Dan James was subpar. That includes Ole and the staff.

I am an Ole supporter, but I don’t know how long I can watch this without turning on him. Sadly, it’s the whole organization, but he’s the one who will pay the price.
Good Post.

mu4c_20le

James, Bissaka and Maguire have made a positive difference. They bring a freshness to the side.

The rest seem like zombies. No inspiration. Almost forcing the issue. They're confused. Lack real genuine motivation and hunger, and earn massive wages.

We are a team with some deep rooted issues. I do not think OGS can get this mob going.
Klopp turned over pretty much the entire first team to get to where he is now. So yeah, if the new signings look positive, then there is reason to be optimistic as Ole continues to build his team.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Sadly the 3 new boys will be dragged down by the rest. It's only a matter of time. It seems no one can get through to the rest of the crew

Kemizee

First, we are playing good football. Nobody can say anything different. 4 games into season and many that doesn't watch our games would say it is bad results. Results yes, but not our performence.

Second, we can't score. This is big difference now between us and other top teams. Not how we play. But how we take care of the chances we get. We don't have that quality up front. As I mentioned early this season I don't know if Rashford and Martial are 20+ goals players. I really hope that our staff take care of this problem and make sure we are working 90% time with shooting. If not, then go into the market for a proven goalscorer.

Third, Solskjaer made very good changes today. Before and during the game. I'm glad that his tactical thinking today was exactly like mine during the game.

Forth, can Lindelöf and Pogba stop being so nonchalant during games? They are taking turns.

Five, we are going forward. And I believe that results will come soon.
Wonder no more. They aren't.

haram

Maybe someone should ask him what happens when we are trying to build out from the back and Pogba is not there? Who really is good enough under pressure to retain possession? That's the reason why Pogba is deep. Then he talks about the fact that we cannot retain possession, and acts as if it's a training issue? Maybe it's the quality of player?

Him repeatedly calling Rashford shit pisses me off as well.

Snafu17

The that a United Stand video is linked in this thread pisses me off more than the result. How does anyone watch that garbage.

minoo-utd

We seem to be very nervous before scoring the first goal. We get a goal and then it feels like the players mind set changes to 'we don't have to try as hard now'. We then have a sloppy 25mins and concede. We are then scrambling for the winner whilst also looking vulnerable. This has happened 3 games on the bounce. More work on the training ground is needed to score when teams sit back and defend because we look all out of ideas. Poor team selection and substitutions cost us today.
I agree with what you say and it means one thing. Sack that clueless manager as soon as possible.

minoo-utd

Ole is going to turn it around after the break. Disappointing result but you can see an improvement over last weeks showing. The football he has tried to play is not doable for a team in poor form- he is being too vertical and those cross-field passes come off only when you are mentally OK. He needs to reel it back a bit, play with the ball closer to the feet.
He gave chances to the more senior players as he is supposed to, in the black holes that are Lingard and Pereira, but after the break I’m sure he will fully integrate the youngsters into the first team. Once there is a competent player in every position, the team will click. Exciting times!
No one single prove for what you are saying really. Only prove was we faild to beat 10 men Southampton, repeat that and you will change your mind. Ole is not the man, feck our feelings now about Ole the player and how we wanted him to succeed here, but he is simply not never good enough.

dogwithabone

Ole sa
Ole said Greenwood is the guy...[/QUOTE

Ole says a lot of things, like Sanchez will have a big part to play this season (3 days before he’s loaned out for season).

He’s no different to any of the others we’ve had post Fergie other than being a bit of a nicer guy.

Frank Grimes

Maybe someone should ask him what happens when we are trying to build out from the back and Pogba is not there? Who really is good enough under pressure to retain possession? That's the reason why Pogba is deep. Then he talks about the fact that we cannot retain possession, and acts as if it's a training issue? Maybe it's the quality of player?

Him repeatedly calling Rashford shit pisses me off as well.
Rashford is shit though tbf.

Frank Grimes

Good luck finding many 21 year olds better than him.
He works hard I'll give him that but has zero awareness of other players runs. Can't head, average finisher and terrible decision making. There are plenty of 21 year olds who are better than him. You slag Martial constantly but he is a far superior talent to Rashford( and was at 21) and I'm not even Martials biggest fan.

haram

He works hard I'll give him that but has zero awareness of other players runs. Can't head, average finisher and terrible decision making. There are plenty of 21 year olds who are better than him. You slag Martial constantly but he is a far superior talent to Rashford( and was at 21) and I'm not even Martials biggest fan.
Name them.

Axle17

When was the last time United had a "good" & "reliable" striker come through the academy?

Rashford is the reason we lost yesterday. He should have buried those crosses.
His positioning and timing is all off.

Pogba wasn't interested for some reason, but hey he's the best in the world according to the Cafe so we can't lose him

Foxbatt

His flick today is a good example. All he needed instead of that fancy flick was to look and square the ball.
He is not a CF. His anticipation is poor. He had the exact chance today as Martial had against Chelsea.
We should have bought someone like Mandzukic as that would help us a lot.

The Irish Connection

Said at the end of last season we’re 3 steps away from being in a relegation struggle. One was not investing properly in key areas in the summer, another was getting a bad injury or two to key players and I think the other might have been pogba leaving and not replaced.

Van Persie was our last truly great number 9. No way Fergie would have gone into the season without signing one.

Depressing, I just hope the youth come in soon and surprise us.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd