PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Dr. StrangeHate

I am gonna sound ungrateful but really wanted to break the record and score double figures.

Okey

Surely I'm about to witness the first ever post match thread since I joined here with absolutely no complaints? Glory. Glory. Man. United.

AndyMUFC

Amazing! Don't get me wrong, playing against 10 men for the whole game helped big time but it can become difficult playing against 10 and we were absolutely ruthless.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Absolutely buzzing.
Just wish the ground was full to see that.

Irwinning

Anyone a little bit gutted we didn't get 10? Just to be able to see a 10-0 in our lifetime. That would have finished me off tonight.
Always remember Sir Alex against Ipswich saying he did not want to get 10, because it would be disrespectful.............................................................................................................................but yeah I wanted 10 haha!

James_42

How the feck was there only 3 minutes of stoppage time? It didn't really matter tonight, but the officials are so it's inconsistent with their time keeping it's a joke.

Will Singh

I was at the Ipswich game when we last scored 9. Our fullbacks are gone from OK to attacking killers! AWB I always criticised he’s attacking game and I saw it against Arsenal that he was now attack minded and today he along with Shaw was playing literally as wingers.
Happy is a understatement, we’ve been a bit crap attacking recently and to do that...WOW

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I figured we'd blow someone away after the last few PL games. I didn't think it'd be by this much but handy that we played against 10 for the majority of the game.

Icemav

Writing ws on the wall for Southampton after that early sending off- but we were merciless and clinical.
how enjoyable was that, dont see that many times in your life. I remember two 9-0,s and Ive been watching since Tommy doc days.
Nice to see Martial get 2 nice goals will boost him no end.
It might if he looked like he enjoyed scoring. He appears very glum at the moment.

Superunknown

The only game ever where there were more goals in that second half than minutes of added-on time. :lol: :lol:

diarm

9 nil and you feel flat ? What on earth does it take to satisfy you ?
Sorry I should've been clearer. I'm obviously buzzing with our performance and in particular Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay and Cavani.

I just hate that we've won a game 9-0 and all the talk coming away is going to be about VAR and decisions again.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Also, some good substitutions from Ole this time around. Half time was a great time to give Martial and VDB a pressure-free opportunity to get some confidence. Shame VDB couldn't do anything with it, but hopefully those two goals will reignite Martial's form.

James will never be good enough for us, but resting Rashford was a good decision. Only real complaint on the subs front was not giving Fernandes some rest.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
According to Michael Owen, the Martial pen was the biggest example of a dive he can remember.

Presumably, the cnut watches Liverpool every week so strange that he can come to that conclusion

Foxbatt

I don't know about what they are complaining about the penalty. He clips Martial with his left leg.

Superunknown

Always remember Sir Alex against Ipswich saying he did not want to get 10, because it would be disrespectful.............................................................................................................................but yeah I wanted 10 haha!
:lol: :lol:

He's a better guy than I am. I was there on the edge rooting for that 10th goal. :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
How Mike Dean still gives that pen is scandalous. Wow, its bonkers how bad these calls are. Almost as if there are brown envelopes all over the show.
I think it was a penalty, there was contact on Martial which means it's a penalty.

Sadly the scoreline is what it was so it feels brutal, but the law is the law.

You can't 'take pity' because of a scoreline, the game is done by the book, arguments could be made about the red, but even then it was denying a clear goalscoring opportunity too.

Shark

@NotShark
What. A. Night!

Really hope we truly kick on from here, our next three are very very winnable.

stu_1992

Well that was a fecking performance! Granted there was an early red but we absolutely decimated them. I'm buzzing after that. Delighted we didn't take our foot off the gas.
Too many goals to go over all the scorers, but I'm very pleased that most of our forwards got at least one goal. Get those goals flowing again. 2 for Martial especially may be key to getting him playing again. Rashford was very good while he was on and Cavani's goal was typical for him.

It's been too many games since we've seen a Fernandes penalty so that was a welcome return. 2 assists on top of that, so if this is a sign he's over his little dip of the last few a games then I'm all for it. Man of the match despite only playing 45 minutes was Shaw though. He was superb and we looked far less dangerous for a time when he went off. Wan Bissaka deserves a shootout too for what undoubtedly his best attacking performance and perhaps a sign of his continued development in that regard.

A record equally win, what is there to complain about? I do feel for the fella who got sent off first. Young and his debut. He's probably going to feel like the world is against him at the minute.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
According to Michael Owen, the Martial pen was the biggest example of a dive he can remember.

Presumably, the cnut watches Liverpool every week so strange that he can come to that conclusion
Think he was partial to a dive now and again. We won 9-0. They really are nit picking over a goal when the game was well and truly dead.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton