PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 9:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 February 2021

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
I look forward to the "I apologize for apologizing for apologizing" thread.

passing-wind

World class performance and a needed result after the shambolic Arsenal / Sheffield outing

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Man, if we can come back from the mediocre run we've had in the league recently and still keep it close with Citeh, it will be nice.

Foxbatt

I agree with the Southampton goal. I think it should have been given. But that was a penalty for us. We can debate about the red card. But once the penalty was given its always going to be a red.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Such a wonderful evening what a night! As depressing as the Sheffield game was this will live long in the memory. Crazy!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Nice that Sir Alex had a good night out! 9 big whoppers to send him home happy! :)

SprintTriathlon

Ole again late with the subs!!

Anyway is this some record?
"
On 6 February 1999, Solskjaer came on for United as a 71st-minute substitute away to Nottingham Forest.

The Norwegian took just nine minutes to get on the scoresheet and netted his fourth goal by stoppage time, wrapping up an 8-1 victory for Sir Alex Ferguson's side at the City Ground.

With his 29-minute cameo Solskjaer is the only substitute to have scored four goals in a Premier League match.
"

Coops73

We win 9-0 and yet the media seems to draw a cloud over it.

Great game, players were professional, we went in for the kill and deserved every goal, beating 10 men isn’t as easy as it sounds and some of our football, despite that, was excellent at times.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I feel delighted for the win, the goal difference and delighted for Tony coming on after a bad spell and getting a brace...

However, tonight was an opportunity for Mike Dean to draw a line in the sand against simulation. I understand why he gave the pen, and the subsequent red card. In a game, though, where the result was already secured, I would rather Mike Dean (A ref who has a bit of reputation for attention seeking, deserved or not) would either wave this off or even give a yellow to Martial.

Also VAR/stoppage time: 3 minutes for the first half and three minutes for the second half. Incorrect. TV should not dictate how much stoppage time there should be. Var alone took 5 or more minutes. Both halves required 5mins+ which in turn may have meant we broke our own record.
It was a clip and a rightful pen even if the contact was negligible. Why not make a stand against the numerous actual dives that take place across a gameweek.

SirScholes

Big takeaway from this was how improved Luke Shaw has been. People keep saying he's improved due to the competition with Telles, I think he's learnt some offensive skills from him in actuality.

It also confirmed how good we could be if we put the ball into the box more often. We have a very narrow 3 man attack...rather than having two midfielders who sit, the more offensive midfielder should be another source of providing deeper crosses. Through balls are very hard to come by when dealing with deep blocks, but bombarding teams with crosses can be a useful tool, especially as we will never be as incisive as a City is.

We're also an attacking team rather than a possession team. This game showed that we would rather create than hold on to the ball for long periods of the game if given the opportunity. The only reason we keep pointless possession and have been slow to build ups have been because our midfield pivot has struggled with helping our defence to bring the ball out of defence. Having midfielders who are able to move the ball quicker would help us immensely, as we already have good flank interplay.

Greenwood looked great today. I really wanted him to score.
Definitely, I liked AWBs first timers today as well rather than dummying it and pulling it back for Bruno or pogba to cross from deep only for all our attackers to get caught offside because they all expected it first time

Judas

Open to offers
We were totally robbed of the chance to get 10. I know you can say Southampton had taken enough punishment, but fairs fair, it should have been at least 5 or so minutes added on, and we'd have no doubt got another goal. Seems petty to be annoyed, but it could be decades till we get this sort of chance again. Shame.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely magnficient confidence booster.

Obviously we were not only playing them at a great time anyway, but then that mad early sending off really did kill them.

However, we could very easily have settled, as it seemed to stay 4-0 for ages and be drifting away.
Then we went through the gears as they tired, and great to distribute a few goals around.

Bruno a key goal, along with 2 for Martial.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We were totally robbed of the chance to get 10. I know you can say Southampton had taken enough punishment, but fairs fair, it should have been at least 5 or so minutes added on, and we'd have no doubt got another goal. Seems petty to be annoyed, but it could be decades till we get this sort of chance again. Shame.
Nah, as it was 7-0 until about 90mins, we did brilliantly to get 2 late doors, and match the Ipswich game.

That one was probably better, as while they were a much worse team, they weren't down to 10 for 91mins, and down to 9 for 15-20 :lol:

always_hoping

Great game, players were professional, we went in for the kill and deserved every goal, beating 10 men isn’t as easy as it sounds and some of our football, despite that, was excellent at times.
Was humorous listening to Robbie Savage with every United goal tonight, is that hand ball? is that offside? He couldn't help himself.

Redfrog

It’s a shame for Donny he can’t find his feet
I think he slows everything down. It is up to him to adapt and play fast and incisive footy. He was invisible tonight.
I thought he will be a good player for us, but he can't find the level of energy he had in that Champions League run with Ajax. He just seems lost to be honest.
I don't feel sorry for him, it's up to him. We had too many players recently who just thought they could walk in the team without effort...and that gives you what we had for 7 years.
I hear a lot of pundits and people feeling sorry for him as it is our fault. Ole gave him a fair chunck of chances, more then he deserves for his performances.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Think people have been purposely too harsh on United. If any other team had been in the position we are and had the type of week we had prior to this result, it would not have been judged nearly as harshly. You had pundits questioning whether our team were frightened of a title challenge, yet have been quiet when it comes to the blip in form for other teams. I understand that United attracts more attention than other teams, but I found the anticipation and descent over a bad result a bit weird. The truth is we aren't the best team in the league, we have a few weaknesses holding us back from being that, everyone knows what those weaknesses are and they showed their face in the Sheffield United result. Mentality had nothing to do with it. Martial not being a United no.9, inconsistencies due to the youth and lack of experience of the rest of the front line and Tuanzebe and Telles not being up to United Starting levels played a big part.
Yep, it's crazy. You're a good side with limitations - same as City, although our limitations aren't so severe - but that might end up being good enough to win the league this season. There was so much pained analysis of United's "psychology" after the Sheffield United defeat, when it should really have just been concluded that you're a good side who are always capable of dropping a bollock. That game was just one of those dropped bollocks. Tonight was a freak result and was basically over as a contest as soon as it went to 3-0, but you pressed on and (admittedly with the help of the opposition having a bunch of nobodies out there and then losing two of them to red cards) racked up a big scoreline. That can only be encouraging, that you didn't take your foot off the gas. Then again, half your team could have fallen asleep and you might have still scored 7 because poor old Southampton just stopped trying after the Adams offside - they gave the kind of performance that, had fans been in the ground, they'd have refunded their travelling supporters for.

Just to those who are maybe wondering if I'm trying to piss on United's chips here, I'm not. I said this after you lost 6-1 to Spurs at the start of the season. Freak results of all kinds are going to be more frequent this season because of the strange conditions it's being played under. It might not result in a Villa or Everton winning the league like we thought they might have done back in October, but every now and again BT Sport & Sky Sports are going to spend hours trying to work out why games end up 6-0+ when the simple explanation of "COVID" will likely be the truth.

No crowds, varying levels of fitness, COVID waiting to strike at any point and disrupt team plans - I'm not sure if it's wise to look into these recent games for signs of anything at all. If the 6-1 defeat to Spurs was in isolation, or part of a regular season, then I'd understand the anger (I understand it anyway, because who likes to see their team lose so heavily?), but right now United could easily go and win 6-1 in the next game, given the state of things.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

The Telegraph isn't, they're praising the 'ruthless' performance.

Kyonn

This would've been the perfect game to bring on Diallo, shame he wasn't on the bench.

Siorac

It might if he looked like he enjoyed scoring. He appears very glum at the moment.
He's not exactly the type to wildly celebrate at the best of times and tonight he came on when we were 4-0 up against 10 men.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I'm gonna be perfectly honest. When it was 4-0 at half time, I figured the work was done and that we'd see it out and possibly grab a final statement goal in the last five minutes after an easy nights work. When it was 6-0 I had Liverpool's 7-0 rout of Palace in mind and I figured that if we matched it, we'd be making an even bigger statement with an emphatic win. When it was 8-0 and there were three minutes left of injury time, I had 9-0 on my mind. The opportunity to be able to complete that scoreline TWICE was right there and I'm absolutely delighted we did just that. This was an absolutely relentless and ,for once, ruthless performance that summed up just how dangerous we are when we're on it. Hopefully we've given teams a few things to think about and some of our lads a real shot in the arm in the run-in. Gargantuam performance and one sorely needed as a response to last weeks disappointments.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm glad we significantly improved our goal difference and I'm overjoyed with such a resounding win. But I'm not gonna get carried away just yet because the game could've panned out very differently had the young debutant not got himself sent off after a minute of the game. That sending off meant Soton couldn't press high which was a killer for them but allowed us to camp in their half. They were also without several key players which was also telling and it contributed to their heavy loss with 10 men.

But having said that, we still had to put them away and we did that with ruthless efficiency. Solskjaer must also take huge credit for not letting up and maintaining a very attack minded approach throughout the game where literally every United player was camped in the opposition half for long periods.

The Irish Connection

Delighted with that! Southampton are a bitch to play, was fully expecting a scrappy draw.
Greenwood should have had a goal.
What was great was that with 10 men, they sat back, but we were able to break them down. Fred and Mctominay are criminally underrated!
Keep this going now United!

The Irish Connection

Was humorous listening to Robbie Savage with every United goal tonight, is that hand ball? is that offside? He couldn't help himself.
I know. Ridiculous. They never once mentioned the ref not playing advantage after the Cavani foul either, where greenwood buried it.

croadyman

We definitely had a real shot at the record but will admit the second penalty probably shouldn't have been given but the first should in my opinion. I do understand Dean's decision not to put on more than three mins but if you apply the rules we were due another few mins. Turns out the scouse massacre at Palace only had two mins but that game may not have had a long VAR decision in it.

Wing Attack Plan R

It was a clip and a rightful pen even if the contact was negligible. Why not make a stand against the numerous actual dives that take place across a gameweek.
"Contact" isn't the standard; fouling is. Was Martial fouled? No. Martial dragged his leg and went over without any help from Bednarek. Martial should have been booked.

Anyway, glad we beat them and made up some goal difference.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton