PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 August 2021

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think this season will be even closer between the top teams personally

It almost felt expected that we would score another. As if they forgot that they have to actually work for it.
Overthinkering stuff here from Ole. Wrong lineup, wrong subs and wrong tactics.
Pep has a squad that you can tinker with. Ole doesn't. He bought Donny, but rarely plays him. He could have played today. If you don't want him, sell the lad and sort that midfield out.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That Mctominay cross across the box and no-one was there said it all really. Only second game and 4 points and an intact record. Anyone know why Varane didnt play?
I was screaming blue murder at that - great work from Scotty. tell me that Lukaku wouldn't have been there, tell me Salah and Jota wouldn't have been storming in on that. Tell me Halaand wouldn't have been there and scored...

Acole9

Outstanding
I'll take a draw, but really we should've won. We just seemed so disjointed, I think Solskjaer got the team selection wrong and I thought we was moving away from playing two defensive midfielders.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Seems like we rely too much on quick balls downfield to get goal chances. I notice we force the passes and one touches while trying to be cute with the ball. Sometimes we just need to build momentum by completing passes to each other and getting comfortable in possession.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'll take a draw, but really we should've won. We just seemed so disjointed, I think Solskjaer got the team selection wrong and I thought we was moving away from playing two defensive midfielders.
Jus the usual propaganda - and people here fall for it

mav_9me

What Ole is doing playing Lingard and not VdB baffles me. Sell Lingard. And sell VdB if you can't/won't use him.

Diabovermelho

Maguire, Fred, Matic and Martial were our worst players today. Really bad. Ole again took too long to sub the players.. Fred stayed for 76min and Matic for 86 min that's ridiculous.

Martial won't play much for us this season. We know Ole doesn't rotate enough, and with Greenwood playing well, Cavani back in training, Rashy in October, and Sancho will be starting games soon, there's no room for Martial this season, except starting some cup games.

We should keep Amad to be Sancho's backup in the RW, and let Greenwood play more as CF rotating with Cavani.

Right now Elanga is the best Anthony in this club.

babablue

Can anyone explain what the logic was taking off Fred instead of Matic for Mctominay was? Not even trying to be a smart-ass, I just can't see what it was supposed to achieve

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bit baffled why we spent 80m on Sancho if he's going to sit on the bench as a luxury option while at the same time our first choice midfield has Matic in it.

Talk about misplaced priorities.

We don't win anything this season without a midfielder and probably not without a change of manager, unfortunately

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I'm surprised Djenepo survived a red. He shd have got 2 quick yellows for a rugby tackle and blocking the resultant quick fk, and he still committed another bookable offence. Lucky git.

Matthew84!

Well we didn't lose but certainly feels like it.
The whole team looked tired with about 20 mins left, I really don't get it.
Martial has proved he shouldn't be starting for us just yet.
Lots of bad performances all round.
I think Sancho is going to take a while to settle in and we are definitely going to miss Rashfords goals until he's back.
I expect alot more dropped points in the next 5 or 6 games.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Bit baffled why we spent 80m on Sancho if he's going to sit on the bench as a luxury option while at the same time our first choice midfield has Matic in it.

Talk about misplaced priorities.

We don't win anything this season without a midfielder and probably not without a change of manager, unfortunately
Another example of a knee jerk reaction. Clearly Sancho isn’t fully fit yet, as half the squad isn’t. Second game of the season him being on the bench doesn’t make him a luxury option. Come on now, don’t be daft.

We didn’t play well today, looked like we are still building up our fitness. I’ll take that we didn’t lose. Keep building and see how this team develops. Already 4pts better off than at this stage last season, and again after a very short preseason.

Phil

Positives:
  • Pogba was very good.
  • Bruno did well, and was committed as usual.
  • Greenwood had moments of real class.
  • De Gea came up with a big save when it was needed most.
Negatives
  • Both Maguire and Shaw had their worst games in a long time
  • Matic offered absolutely nothing and clearly can't cope with a team that presses even semi-competently
  • We're not a team that presses even semi-competently
  • AWB really poor today - he's becoming a 50/50 player. 50% chance good, 50% chance shit.
  • Martial was brutal and actively handicapped our play
  • Complete lack of any presence in the box, even after Martial went off. That McTominay ball fizzed across the 6 yard box in the 89th minute with nobody anywhere near it said it all.
Pretty much this. Same old problems really, nothing's changing still. Hope I won't be called knee jerk for saying that though.

UncleBob

Some bizarre complaints, nothing changed when greenwood was on his own up top. Problem wasnt martial

BarstoolProphet

Not the worst result in the world, but very disappointed that a couple of horribel passes completely killed our momentum after the Pogba chance. Also disappointed that seem to play like they were five up and saving energy for the next match.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Positives:
  • Pogba was very good.
Negatives
  • Matic offered absolutely nothing and clearly can't cope with a team that presses even semi-competently
  • AWB really poor today - he's becoming a 50/50 player. 50% chance good, 50% chance shit.
  • Complete lack of any presence in the box, even after Martial went off. That McTominay ball fizzed across the 6 yard box in the 89th minute with nobody anywhere near it said it all.
How did Bruno do well?

RedorDead21

Sancho standing still with the ball is a typical young persons tactic to look good. Just missing the taking your boot off and putting in your head whilst beckoning the opposition to come to you with your hands. Needs to concentrate on just being the quality player he is.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Similar problems to last season really. We have 10/15 minute spells where we vacillate from looking good to looking completely disjointed. We’re not press resistant at all with the midfield we have. Opposition teams clearly know this, because as soon as Fred or Matic gets the ball they’re on them. We’re incredibly sloppy and careless in possession, and no one is more guilty of this than captain fantastic himself, Harry Maguire. He STILL dawdles on the ball no matter how many times it gets him in trouble. Absolute pleb

Thought Pogba was fantastic. Greenwood was ok, Martial just continued being anonymous. He picked up this season exactly the same way as he finished last season. No change at all there from him. Again, the attack can sometimes look great where we play some really nice stuff, but then it can change in a blink of an eye and we look as if it’s the first time we’ve played together. Basically a summation of Ole’s time here. We go from looking brilliant to looking like a complete and utter mess, within the confines of a single game.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Where is Cavani? Hate the way he just vanishes for games at a time. I guess we need a younger striker.

Vincent Paul 77

We are in desperate need of a cdm that will be our let down this campaign. On a side note a quality attacking full back wouldn't go a miss either.

moxdevil

May turn out to be a decent point. First away game in front of a crowd for a long time and So'ton were well up for it. We caused our own problems with lackadaisical play in our own half at times.

Unlike the many childlings in this forum i'm not going to get bent out of shape over the performance and result.

Real Name

I was screaming blue murder at that - great work from Scotty. tell me that Lukaku wouldn't have been there, tell me Salah and Jota wouldn't have been storming in on that. Tell me Halaand wouldn't have been there and scored...
Cavani will be there in the future hopefully.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
One thing I do have to note is:

God does this sport make most of us an emotional rollercoaster :lol:. Last week we were storming the league and now people realise we have weaknesses that make us a team scrapping for top4 again

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Positives:
  • Pogba was very good.
Negatives

Our starting 11 today should have been

--------
Greenwood
Pogba Bruno Sancho
Rice DvB
Shaw Maguire Varane AWB
De Gea
-------

p.s. Yes, Declan Rice, because we should have sold Lingard to get Rice. Without proper DMF we are shit and it doesn't matter who else we put there

Brown1950

Mixed feelings. A point at Soton is never a disaster given that we never seem to turn up there, but a little frustrating that we fizzled out in the last 20. The team looked tired at that point, and we struggled to deal with the physicality of a fresher team for a lot of the game.

See you all on Thursday when all the ninnies have calmed down
When was the last time Utd lost at Southampton ? 2003 !

Alek M

Da manic one
Where do I start
There was a lack of midfield understanding between Pogba, Matic, Fred. We were overrun.

width was non existent. Martial up top notcreating any space.

Not sure why Matic is the scapegoat. People need to open up for him to pass.

southampton blocked every fast break, committed many fouls, congested the midfield,did not open any chances, won all 50-50.

The only bright spot, We had excellent corner deliveries that we almost scored (and few from set pieces).

Maureen-yo

Sancho standing still with the ball is a typical young persons tactic to look good. Just missing the taking your boot off and putting in your head whilst beckoning the opposition to come to you with your hands. Needs to concentrate on just being the quality player he is.
No, it’s a tactic employed by footballers all over including Messi, Hazard, Sterling et al. Slow the ball right down and then use your turn of pace etc to beat your man who, due to stopping, has lost momentum.

TEX_RED_DVL

Some bizarre complaints, nothing changed when greenwood was on his own up top. Problem wasnt martial
The tone of play was set by Martial playing up top in the first half. He offered nothing while he was in there. By the time he came off we were already set on playing in that tempo and we were not able to get out of playing in that mode.

Offsideagain

Typical United this. Bolloxed the selection,again. Full of plaudits from last week and fail to produce a performance. Fred and Matić should be dropped preferably from a high bridge somewhere. How much DVB be feeling watching this crap? The media say ‘United held to a draw’ more like ‘ Southampton held to a draw’. Ole for goodness sake pick the best players instead of letting them sit on the bench. Varane I can just about understand, but Sancho? Arrrrgh.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 62% of 307 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw