PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 12 February 2022

lost7

We might need to try Bruno as a false 9 because currently it's like we're playing without a striker

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not a good game. Maguire will take the blame but it was Varane's man who scored the goal, but just like with Rodriguez midweek, he didn't even look at him. Instead, Varane stepped up on a midfielder, which made no sense. There was another play where Maguire is getting pelters that Varane should have stepped over so Maguire could step over to a winger, but he didn't. But Varane can't do any wrong. Don't get me wrong. I think he's good. But if Maguire was making the mistakes he's been making the Caf would be overloaded right now. But nobody has an agenda against Varane

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can the manager take of ronaldo without a scene being created and then being swamped and slaughtered by droves of ronaldo fans ?

Fergie would have benched half the team and played the kids but rangnick or any other manager will get sacked in a month if they did that.
The Ronaldo issue is definitely a problem, but even with leaving him on you can still change things around him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Ronaldo, McTominay and Maguire need dropping. Bar that, okay performance.

Gutless towards the end, but I've come to expect it.

darko

I didn’t think Ronaldo was as bad as some made out, certainly chased a lot in the second half so I don’t think anything can be levelled at him regarding that.

He’s offside a lot but I can’t tell if that’s a case of the pass being mistimed more than his run.
Only Fernades or Pogba give the early ball. Sancho and Rash and Dalit and Shaw all wait way too long to play the through ball.

doomy20

Been skiing, did not even bother to watch the last two games, they don’t deserve any attention.

What‘s going on, why do we not play RR pressing game?

Ranchero

Ronaldo
It's strange how I feel almost no attachment to United anymore. The unlikeable squad, clueless board, the owners, stupid player recruitment, bad manager choices time after time, the Greenwood saga, the unproportionate focus on sponsorship deals etc.
Normally i would be really cheesed off and this would ruin my day. Not anymore. It is predictable. I thought we would lose this. Because Southampton are better at pressing than us. We got away with it.

How can anyone possibly argue that this is better than it was under Ole. Actually under Ole we were winning these games.

My passion has waned.

siw2007

Same story, different game. Blew our chance to put the game away in 1st half. Let Southampton back into it and concede again. No chance of winning games if we can’t hold firm. Pogba and Sancho had overall a good game, Ronaldo was very poor.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Been skiing, did not even bother to watch the last two games, they don’t deserve any attention.

What‘s going on, why do we not play RR pressing game?
We do for the first half. Then the players get bored and all do their own thing.

Three. Matches. In. A. Row.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's strange how I feel almost no attachment to United anymore. The unlikeable squad, clueless board, the owners, stupid player recruitment, bad manager choices time after time, the Greenwood saga, the unproportionate focus on sponsorship deals etc.
Excellent summation

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Totally predictable (indeed I did predict the score). I suppose there's a little hope in that we did create a couple of chances in the second half. But generally, we were awful: I've never seen a slower United defender than maguire, shaw was woeful, pogba was invisible yet again and Bruno continues to be very poor. But most of all, and I've have said week after week, we have no goal scorer

RedDevilQuebecois

In the game thread, I wrote a really apt comparison about our players' lack of skills, lack of attitude, and lack of intensity on top of being always this stupid on the pitch. It's almost as if our team has 15 Dele Allis for Mourinho to deal with.

R'hllor

Imagine thinking RR is scared to sub/bench Ronaldo, like Ronaldo gonna beat him up, doubt he cares even about drama between them but we all know that shit would spread through whole squad.

Also, why the feck you would stand up next to manager who is interim and yet have to show is he worthy of support, on other side why the feck you would support these players holy shit.

lex talionis

Second half performances have been poor. Fitness is a possible culprit, but I don’t think it’s that. What is it?

Dan_F

Ronaldo rated worst United player in the player ratings poll. A.dismal 2.9 out of 10. I think that is generous.
I don't know how anyone can watch Ronaldo today and find any positive. He was literally a 0/10. Didn't get one thing right.
alright lads, I didn’t say he played well, just that the usual lack of effort complaint wasn’t true today. I thought Bruno and McTominay were just as bad, Rashford too but he did get an assist.

darko

The only way we get top 4 now is if the other teams play consistently poor like we do.

- Rashford must be dropped
- Ronald also but this is harder because Cavani is rarely available
- Pogba was class for 60 minutes and then tired
- Why was Shaw so slow with the ball today?
- Dalot was pretty good except for his crossing
- If we had a Romeu or similar player we would be so much better

I'm starting to doubt RR....sorry.
Dalot was taken to the cleaners for their goal and refuse to give the early ball.

Asger

Ronaldo, McTominay and Maguire need dropping. Bar that, okay performance.

Gutless towards the end, but I've come to expect it.
Rashford as well. Its unlikely we will get the 4th place now so I want us to give the younger players a chance. Other teams can use their 17-18 years old players but when we are struggling we almost never give them a chance. Surely there is some talanted DM and Winger in the U18 team?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
MUTV moaning about officials. Ffs
What is there to moan about today? Don't think there was any bad decisions... and I could see Southampton fans arguing for a penalty against Maguire at the end (not for the stamp, but for the coming together before it)

Wilt

So when‘s the next easy game, before Utd play City, Spurs, Atletico, Liverpool

Okey

Well, that made up for missing out on the Burnley ballot. Got to see the same game live! Surely this our rut in front of goal has to end soon?
Oh, and Stuart Attwell is a really really poor referee. How do you keep a job you're so incompetent at???

Red00012

So when‘s the next easy game, before Utd play City, Spurs, Atletico, Liverpool
I’ve watched Atletico a few times in the past few weeks . They’re as bad as us . We will feck it up though

MrSingh2002

I would add Rashford to the list. Telles and McT should not be first teamers. It will be much more difficult to bring in better players without CL football.
Only reason I left Rashford from the list is that he could work better if Ronaldo wasn't here.

McTominay and Telles are squad players but at the moment I believe they're the best player in their positions CDM and LB.

Fred and Shaw have no business playing for Man Utd. They need to be replaced ASAP. We need an in shape, mobile, left back that can attack and defend. The basics.

Fred needs to be sold and replaced for a real CDM that can also start moves off. In the mould of Casemiro/Fabinho/Rodri. Fred is nowhere near their level with the ball.

De Gea
Dalot Varane Gabriel Reguilon
Neves Tchouameni

Fernandes
Sancho Haaland Rashford

That could have easily been our team. Instead we signed Maguire/Lindelof/Telles/AWB/Fred/Ronaldo/Cavani

Nobody wants to hear it but we still have to spend alot of money and sell alot of players. We need to sign players under 25 who are already playing at a good level.

King29

Front 3 let us down today, especially ronaldo and rashford. Shame really because our midfield are starting to progress the ball to the final 3rd alot better and more directly, pogba was huge and bruno had some nice passes aswell.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 69% of 204 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw