PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 September 2017

wr8_utd

:'(
Not too arsed about the dropped points as I don't really believe this squad is good enough and has a good enough attack to win the league anyway so what I want is some good football and today was disappointing on that level. Players like Martial need to be starting games.

Fracture90

Well this sucks. We paid the price for some pretty bad defending and we didn't take our chances. I'm usually not the one to complain about the referee's but that 2nd goal from Stoke was made possible by poor referring. Warnock failed to call that obvious foul on Pogba where he got hit in the head.

In occasions where there is a head injury (from an obvious foul btw) game is supposed to be automatically stopped as we've seen from the case of Wimmer getting hit in the head in 92nd minute.

Either way some costly mistakes at the back and some good chances not takes had cost us 2 points. Also Rashford shouldn't be a starter.

Dobba

Although, there was a foul on Pogba in the lead up to the corner for the second goal. Fletcher elbowed the back of the head, play should have been stopped.

Conveniently, the play was stopped for Wimmer in the 91 min leading to dropball back pass cancelling out our momentus. Was definitely some bullshit.
I've given up expecting anything from referees resembling consistency. They're wank up and down the country and have absolutely no accountability so it's never going to change.

leontas

Very disappointed in our defending. Bailly, Jones and Darmian all at fault for the goals conceded today. Not sure why we changed from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. We've never played with that formation. We still need wingers and a left back which we failed to address this summer. It's not all doom and gloom as we really could've killed the game off after we scored our 2nd goal, but the games will be coming in thick and fast now and we have to show that we're up for it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We have no players who is a constant dribbler, and who can fecking cross. Massive mistake for our Summer transfer there.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Expected a tough match but didn't expect that performance from our defense, especially the way they were playing so far.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It feels like we need the clearest chance to score when under pressure. Even our goals Pogba made a bit of a mess of an open goal and Lukaku got so so lucky to score after missing the first chance.

automaticflare

It's fecking stoke we should have went out and tried to blow them away instead of being defensive also

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We need consistent partner to bailly. Is it lindelof? I don't know but another season with jones and smalling will make me cry. Enough is enough. On away games those two are liability.
Also ref. They got corner for second goal when our player was injured. He didn't stop the game. And in last minute he stopped it. I know it is minor thing but ...

OneUnited24

We have not improved much in attack and I believe it will show over the course of the rest of the season. We might just have been lucky with the flattering first two fixtures. It is the same stuff again.
We've played 3 sides who have been happy to contain us and get something through set pieces/counter attacks yet managed 10 goals in those 3 games... and you think we still have something wrong with our attack? Granted its not perfect but if you cant see the improvement then i dont know what to say!

Jacko21

Daft two points dropped. Two lapses of concentration.

Should've been a comfortable win, but sh*t happens.

Onwards.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Some fans are so knee jerk it's hilarious.
I know. They do it even when we win.

Away to Stoke right after an international break isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park. We created the most chances and should still have won despite letting in two.

Our rivals will struggle to get wins there too. They are a very physical team and are well organised.

I should really avoid these threads after matches to be honest. Too many overreacting bell ends.

AXVnee7

The most annoying thing is that we fought back from 1-0 down and then let a sloppy error cost us. Even then Lukaku had a fine chance to score but couldn't bury it.

Bring on the Champions league.

Crashoutcassius

Similar game plan to previous weeks against defensive sides - hard to get a break through. Big difference was they scored first this week and at no point were we ahead long enough to draw them out and finish them on the break

Banat

Poor performance. Jones and Eric will get deserved stick but Valencia was terrible as well. I know he is shite at crossing, but he was absolutely shocking today with his terrible attempts.

the hea

I thought Jones did ok barring that mistake on the second goal. Bailly on the other hand was poor through out the game and capped it of with the 2 mistakes that gave away the first goal.

RedStarUnited

Annoying how they're becoming our bogey team.

We used to swat the inbred twats away home and away with ease whilst everyone else lost points to them.

Now we do too.
Tbf we didnt use to beat them with ease. Even in Fergy days they were mostly tight games.

JohnnyKills

We have not improved much in attack and I believe it will show over the course of the rest of the season. We might just have been lucky with the flattering first two fixtures. It is the same stuff again.
Yeah my feeling as well.

Last year we hammered Leicester and West Ham (in the league cup) at home, hammered Swansea away and drew at Stoke. This year we've done exactly the same - the only improvement is we've taken our chances in the home league game against West Ham.

Mourinho seems wedded to this ugly hoofball style and it's really grating me. It's not befitting of United and we'd be far better trying to play actual football than launching it towards Lukaku. Mourinho talks a good game about respecting United and their traditions, he needs to match his words with actions.

Denis79

2 goals should be enough to win a game.. Ver poor defensively today.

dannofdawn

just shit performance in general. Defense were poor. Pogba and Matic at their worst today, but not as bad as Jones and Bailly. Herrera was alright, but he can be forgiven since it's his first game this season. Mhki was Mhki, quiet, but crucial in the right moment. Rashford was wasteful, too eager to impress. Our full backs were poor offensively, Valencia couldn't wipe in a good cross, and couldn't beat his man either. Darmian was at fault for the first goal, but redeem himself later. Martial I'd say was the only good one today, didn't put a foot wrong in his limited time, and gave us 2 chances at goal. Lukaku missed a sitter and got lucky to be given a second chance. But when there were no second chance, he missed. Also that final free kick was poor. Just poor decision making to just shoot at the crowd when the ball bounces back from the wall.

Positives however, is that we were eager to put in long balls, chips, and through balls to let the pace of our players cause trouble for a tight defensive line. This is something we really didn't do much last season. Now our attackers are looking to make runs often, always looking for space to run into. But in the end, our midfield were all poor today, so not enough good deliveries were made.

Going forward, I think we'll draw a lot less this season , as long as we don't perform so poorly as a whole again.

Ace of Spades

Shit, comical defending cost us. LB a problem, and both CBs were shit today.

Also, they take an age to pass the ball, completely kill the tempo.

Unmutual

Disappointing game for sure. But im not too downhearted. You can't win every game and we paid for one slack moment and one slip, rather than a slipshod game from start to finish.

Obviously the worst thing is that we waited til 70 mins to bring off Herrera and go 4231, and at that point we looked 10x better. I think Jose expected more from Stoke and thought we'd have a battle in the middle of the park, when in fact we just ended up with one man too many in there and one man too few up top.

However lots of people have been talking up the idea of that midfield trio in the past, I don't think it was a crazy idea. I just think he should have reacted sooner.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A silver lining is that despite the result we are still top of the league.

waza7111

Stoke away is always a difficult fixture. I expect that most of the top 6 will drop points there. Arsenal have already lost.

Devil81

We're not going to win every game but there weren't many positives today for me.

We are defo still a work in progress.

Ban

Yeah my feeling as well.

Last year we hammered Leicester and West Ham (in the league cup) at home, hammered Swansea away and drew at Stoke. This year we've done exactly the same - the only improvement is we've taken our chances in the home league game against West Ham.

Mourinho seems wedded to this ugly hoofball style and it's really grating me. It's not befitting of United and we'd be far better trying to play actual football than launching it towards Lukaku. Mourinho talks a good game about respecting United and their traditions, he needs to match his words with actions.
So after 4 games in the league your conclusion is that we play ugly hoofball style. Not sure we're watching the same stuff.

stevoc

I was so glad at kick-off we switched to a 3-man midfield and played a non attacking fullback. We really needed it against this ultra attacking stoke side and thought surely they will get no joy down our left side.

Seriously though why do we need to be more defensive against fecking Stoke.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 548 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd