PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sunderland

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2015

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
United are top of the league.

Two goals either side of half-time secured the three points against Sunderland, with Mata adding a third late on.

The first-half was predictably uninspiring until Memphis's goal in injury time put United on the way to victory. Rooney ended his 11 game Premier League goal draught seconds after the second-half kicked off. United took their foot off the gas after that, understandable with a big Champions League game on Wednesday. In the closing minutes Mata capped a fine performance with a goal to underline United's dominance in this match.

Manchester City's 4:1 defeat at Tottenham means the Reds are a point clear at the top. It's been a while...

Sigma

We played well today and imo better than the Southampton game. We were as prolific despite being far better defensively (that might be due to the fact that Sunderland aren't as good as a team as Southampton.

Martial was MOTM with his hold up play and willingness to run at players yielding an assist (should have had 2) and a few chances that he could have tucked away. The midfield was solid and our full backs were great. Valencia, who I'm a big fan of played very well, constantly getting up the field creating space for the likes of Mata and Rooney and when he did get the ball he was capable of taking the defender on and putting in a cross. Darmian too looked unusually good going forward and solid defensively.

Smalling and Blind had nothing to do but I'm sure if they did they would be capable of doing so, and De Gea pulled of a few great saves to keep our lead as strong as it was.

Overall good performance, complete control of the game, the first half wasn't the best, but we got ahead and we never looked like conceding a goal. Our attackers also played well and you can start to see some nice link up play with them, normally involving Martial who as I said was MOTM.

We're top of the league!

Bojan11

Great that Rooney and Depay got off the mark. Comfortable after the first goal.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Solid performance, top of the league. Martial was our best player, but honourable mentions to Blind, Darmian and Smalling. Good to see Rooney score as well, he played much better after that. Excellent stuff.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Great performance, 3-0 is a scoreline of clinical dominance and that was how we played.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Great win, shame Martial couldn't join in on the fun today. Bigger tests ahead now with the Arse, Everton away and City. Come through that run with 6+ points and we're looking very good.

Empire

We need to improve our play breaking the opposition down when the score is equal. But if we do that then we can challenge.

Oo0AahCantona

One of the best performances ive seen in our new era, totally dominant. Brilliant display from the lads. Smalling, Blind, Darmian and Martial were outstanding.

Raw

We really really get going when teams don't park the bus against us. Getting the first goal is absolutely vital under Van Gaal.

Such a comfortable game to watch, just full on dominated Sunderland.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Exactly the result we all wanted.

Still room for improvement in places but when you're winning 3-0 and can say that, you're in a very good place.

Roll on Arsenal, Everton, City and Palace to give us a true test of our league title credentials.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Probably the best centre forward play I've seen this season from anyone in the league.

Jev

Very boring first half, very dominating second half where everbody played well. Rooney was very good in the second half. Schneiderlin and Darmian also impressed. Martial really does look like the real deal and Mata was incredible. MOM goes to him.

Bwuk

Martial is the difference in this side. What a player.

Devil may care

Better stuff in the second half, too pedestrian in the first. Some good performances and the type of game we need to be winning with a few goals so that is a plus. Wolsfburg will be a tougher challenge but we are moving into some form.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Only team in the league to keep a clean sheet, too. Of course it's 'only Sunderland' but good to see nonetheless.

togg

Bloody brilliant. I always know we start slowly..frustratingly even....but we always work it. Not sure if it's the philosophy, but it's working. We are top of the league.

togg

The performance vastly improved after the first goal went in. We need to start young over Memphis who's been really shit despite the goal. Young gives us some directness up front.
Well..you either start young first then bring Memphis on, or the other way round. Memphis is talented, not bad, he just needs to keep experiencing this league.

krazyrobus

I'm not a fan of the 1 paced stuff that seems to occur in the 1st half. 2nd halves always seem to have an increase in tempo.

Martial played an excellent all round CF game. The passing, the dribbling, the decision making. Everything was spot on. Depay needs to take note of the awareness Martial displays.

stu_1992

Top of the league! Nice. ;) Worked out well in the end, and it's a nice result. Obviously in control the whole game, but my god was our our final ball poor in that first half. Good for Rooney and Martial to get their first league goals. Hopefully they can kick on from here. Unfortunately no goal for Martial, but he looked positive again and got an assist.

Kag

I missed the first half, caught the second, and we played very well in that.

Memphis should have bagged another, too.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
Martial showing us another side to his game, he looked really good holding the ball up and getting others into play. Mata was marvelous and my MOTM he seemed to be everywhere today, a goal and an assist for the little man. Rooney way much better in the second half hopefully his goal will set him off on a run for us, the defence and keeper were as to be expected.

Overall a very good but not great performance leads us into the next few weeks where we have a tough nuts.

United Top of League!!!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Well..you either start young first then bring Memphis on, or the other way round. Memphis is talented, not bad, he just needs to keep experiencing this league.
Memphis literally can't even control the ball. He loses the ball every single time. I'd start with young and bring Memphis on later to 'experience the league'.

dirkey

Very boring first half, very dominating second half where everbody played well. Rooney was very good in the second half. Schneiderlin and Darmian also impressed. Martial really does look like the real deal and Mata was incredible. MOM goes to him.
I'd agree with this, apart from MOM, I'd give to Martial. Incredible the difference the goals made to the team. Very dull first half, not creating much, goals at great times and that was it, able to play with freedom against a terrible side who were offering nothing.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good game. Didn't need to get out of 2nd gear. Very economical considering the upcoming midweek fixture

Looked like we switched to 3-5-2 when Jones came on, with Darmian as the LCB. A good option to take the pace out of the game and see it out, but I hope it doesn't make a return due to Shaw's injury.

I thought Schneiderlin was great today, especially in the 2nd half. He just bossed it. Started venturing forwards later in the game too, which we've not really seen him do in a United shirt yet.

Varun

Staff
Dominated from start to finish and created enough chances. Very good performance.

togg

I'd agree with this, apart from MOM, I'd give to Martial. Incredible the difference the goals made to the team. Very dull first half, not creating much, goals at great times and that was it, able to play with freedom against a terrible side who were offering nothing.

But it's often the same with all top teams after the first goal goes in. They are released, if you like, to attack. Before that no, no team wants to go behind, and the PL is rife with lower teams getting the upper hand. Thought we played it well today...and got the result we deserved.

Henk de Rode

Mata... assist & goal. Very impressive today and his attitude and lack of egotism,, really enjoyed that.
Sunderland's not having the best of seasons, but it's good to sea that we're improving. Darmian on the left never looked vulnerable, Blind's passing, Martial, lots of positive notes for this one. And Depay's good when it matters, only fails when it doesn't matter. Don't think he'll be satisfied with this match though. He made the most important goal, but with Young our play on the left channel looked better.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Top of the league. Savour it lads. We are back where we belong.

It was not the most spectacular performance. It did not need to be, we got the job done and left enough in the tank for Wednesday.

In the space of a week United have scored nine goals. Nine. If we continue with that output we stand a great chance of winning the title.

Sunderland are not a great side, and we may have huffed and puffed at times. Still with Smalling looking a boss, Blind maturing into the Rijkaard role, Martial leading the line fabulously and plenty of midfield options, things are looking up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good performance. They put up a stubborn fight in the 1st half but were a bit easier to work with once the first goal went in.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 852 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sunderland win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Sunderland
  • 22% Man Utd 2:0 Sunderland