PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 November 2016

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I thought that this would have been the match where we would have sent a message out to the world and really come out all guns blazing, but we just petered out to the end with a horrible second half performance. The whole team seemed too lackadaisical to continue playing, thinking that they already won the match just from the first half. This seemed to be epitomised by Fellaini who was in no-mans land for the whole of the second half and made us feel like we were playing with 10 men. Rooney was a completely different player in the second half as well. In the first half, his movement was excellent, and he was causing havoc to Rangel and van der Hoorn with his runs as well as his link-up play. In the second half, he became stagnant in his game and was very easy to defend against for Swansea. Pogba had to frequently play two roles on the attach (Rooney's inside left role as well as the left central midfield role) with Rooney playing as sluggishly as he was.

Defensively, we looked very good, and when they stepped it up, at least we were able to thwart them though we did concede a stupid set-piece goal. Darmian looked like his normal self, and Young was okay too if unspectacular. Jones looked comfortable and assured after being out for so long, and bar one dumb mistake, Rojo looked comfortable as well and shows that he's naturally a central defender rather than a left back.

Carrick was crucial to how we played, and he set the foundation for the team to do as well as it did. His passing opened up Swansea consistently and played the likes of Ibrahimovic and Rooney into spaces. It helped Pogba as well as he then had the freedom to push forward and influence the game in the final third rather than sit deep and try to dictate the play. Fellaini didn't do much of note the whole match, and I thought we would have been better off with someone who could have done more there instead of him. He wasn't really needed against such a poor Swansea side.

In the end, this careless, lazy mentality is horrible to see. I thought that we'd be like Chelsea were against Everton and really rip them apart whilst having fun playing football. Instead, the players just got disinterested and didn't appear to want to play any more football. They were probably glad that they only conceded 1 goal in the end.
The players were tired.

sokol11

The poor showing continues for me. Few moments of individual quality was all there was separating the teams. In all there were probably three players on the pitch today who deserve to wear the first team United shirt on quality merit at this point in time (De Gea, Pogba and can't decide on the third one) the rest were substandard. No idea what to do with the ball sideways and backward passing, to cautious in possession, to slow. I hope we put our shit together during a break. There is something wrong if you have a fit Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan and they don't make it on the pitch. Also Shaw is understandably not the same player as before the injury, Bailly injured, Smalling too? What happened to Ibra and his passing? He is shocking. And Pogba still wants to do too much (partially understandable as nobody else is wanting to do anything with the ball) but he wants to showcase a little bit too much for my liking. #rant.over

AndyMUFC

Game wrapped up with a clinical first half. Swansea were poor but then we all know how things have gone against similar sides lately. Wasn't pleased with the second half, definitely felt we took our foot off the gas instead of going for the jugular but we were desperate for a win and got it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Those 2 are the most likely candidates you'd think.
That does not bode well for them. Although Luke has had a bad injury. Although Laporte at Bilbao had a bad break and he is playing most games for them. He maybe wants people who will run through a brick wall for him and play through the pain barrier. Which I suspect is what happened most of the time at Chelsea. They supposedly didn't have many injuries, maybe they played through them.

MrBest

Was a very poor game in my opinion against a side who in the first half didn't come to play ball.

We have spent 4 years trying to get balance in our team yet this game showed me we are as unbalanced as ever! Fellaini Rooney pogba ibra carrick, no pace whatsoever. Mata shunted to the left as a bit part to accommodate others.

I'm happy with the 3 points but I felt better post Burnley because we really went at them. we should have won this game 10 nil as that's how bad Swansea have been.

Ibra for me is past it, shpuld not play more than 60 mins let alone start. pogba is overrated and thinks way too much of himself and Rooney, well, I won't say no more.

Glad to see Jones back in the team, darmian is as useless as ever and young is not a full back. the scoreline flatters us a lot.

AXVnee7

So Shaw, Smalling, Depay, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin...Guess the report in the paper today was on to something
Maybe not Schneiderlin he did come on as a sub?? Unless was he talking about first 11 only

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is this the official moaning about a comfortable win thread? Or should I use one of the other 6?

Morpheus 7

Some great goals from our point of view. Carrick and Pogba were great today. Swansea in the first half didn't look like a premier league side. Happy with the result but it didn't tell us a great deal.

Glideman

We won 3-1 comfortably, some people just love being negative!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

So Shaw, Smalling, Depay, Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin...Guess the report in the paper today was on to something
I'm glad he's calling them out. We wan't players fighting for the shirt. If they can't handle it they're not good enough regardless of who they are and how much we paid for them.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
A makeshift United defence in which Ashley Young featured at right-back, Darmian operated at left-back, Marcos Rojo played as an auxiliary centre-half and Phil Jones made his first appearance since January, barely broke sweat before the interval. I would say that was quite impressive in itself.

Reactions: Penna

NK86

Important 3 points but let's not get carried away.
Not get carried away?! Have you even read any of the threads on the match? People are moaning as if we have just lost 3-1. The caf is a sad place to be nowadays with no one really enjoying a well-deserved win.

RedElf

Pog's goal was a peach and it was all in all a good win. Glad to see Zlatan finally scoring again, shame he's banned for the Arsenal game. Not sure we will be afforded that much time and space against better opposition though.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Most frustrating thing is we would be 2 points off Arse and City had we beaten Stoke and Burnley at home... Same stuff happened last year under LvG - to many dropped points against gash sides.
I can't really remember being more pissed at a football game than after those two. Two incredible GK performances sprinkled with some shit finishing is the difference between a shit and a decent start to the season.

Fracture90

Not get carried away?! Have you even read any of the threads on the match? People are moaning as if we have just lost 3-1. The caf is a sad place to be nowadays with no one really enjoying a well-deserved win.
Should i celebrate like we won the league after we've beaten the bottom club? As i said important 3 points but we had to concede.

donkeyfish

Honestly, I am happy. Very happy. Its wasn't a great game and Swansea was bad more than we were good, but we stopped the bleeding.

I'm also happy that our squad players such as Young and Rojo seems reliable enough when called upon. This was far from our alleged best line-up, yet we looked very comfortable.

I don't mind a borefest second half when we are 3-0 up at half time. Waste of energy chasing 5-0 wins.

I'm also happy that Mourinho picks his team quite ruthlessly. I have no doubt that he has the guts to kick anyone out of this team if they cease doing what he wants.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
One of the best halves and one of the worst halves this season. Defending a three-goal-lead for 45 minutes was so bad tactically from Mourinho. Seriously.. The fact that we didn't sub on Mkhi and Martial whom both need some confidence, when we're 3-0 up, is well, shit.

Other than that, overall performance very good. Zlatan and Carrick superb and Pogba is playing much better today. The Jones/Rojo partnership looked dodgy pre-game but they were solid. Rooney's first touch is what it is but he performed decently. Can't really complain about many players but.. Is it just me or hasn't De Gea let in a few too many shots on target this season? Anyway, delighted with the win!

Bratt

One of the best halves and one of the worst halves this season. Defending a three-goal-lead for 45 minutes was so bad tactically from Mourinho. Seriously.. The fact that we didn't sub on Mkhi and Martial whom both need some confidence, when we're 3-0 up, is well, shit.

Other than that, overall performance very good. Zlatan and Carrick superb and Pogba is playing much better today. The Jones/Rojo partnership looked dodgy pre-game but they were solid. Rooney's first touch is what it is but he performed decently. Can't really complain about many players but.. Is it just me or hasn't De Gea let in a few too many shots on target this season? Anyway, delighted with the win!
Mkhi wasn't even on the bench, so hard to sub him on.

NK86

Should i celebrate like we won the league after we've beaten the bottom club? As i said important 3 points but we had to concede.
No you are right. We should moan 'cause that's the sensible thing to do after a good win, irrespective of the opposition.

Fracture90

No you are right. We should moan 'cause that's the sensible thing to do after a good win, irrespective of the opposition.
Hey mate go celebrate, get drunk, smoke some, heck even pick a fight from happiness if you feel like. It's all up to you, but if you don't like my opinion your free to move along. I'm not forcing you to read.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I can't really remember being more pissed at a football game than after those two. Two incredible GK performances sprinkled with some shit finishing is the difference between a shit and a decent start to the season.
I usually snap out of it quickly but man that Burnley match took me to monday and work.

We were good against Stoke as well but didn't completely dominate for 90 + mins like against Burnley.

Ash_G

Got the win, all that matters really at the moment. First half was good although in honesty Swansea really didn't turn up for that half so I wouldn't draw any conclusions about this being the right set up etc. Disappointing for Ibra to get in to the goals but then get suspended for the next game, thought we could have been more wary about that personally and taken him off earlier.

Rooney whilst not being a stand out performance or anything like that for me though looks like he's reacted positively and you can see some improvement in his game. Said it before but it's really sad that he was allowed to coast for such a long time as if he'd have been given a proper wake up call a few seasons ago he could be a much more effective player. Similar can be said for Darmian in terms of reacting well. He still needs consistency but he's trying hard, needs to up his attacking output but then so do all our fullbacks.

LouisDanGaal

Was a very poor game in my opinion against a side who in the first half didn't come to play ball.

We have spent 4 years trying to get balance in our team yet this game showed me we are as unbalanced as ever! Fellaini Rooney pogba ibra carrick, no pace whatsoever. Mata shunted to the left as a bit part to accommodate others.

I'm happy with the 3 points but I felt better post Burnley because we really went at them. we should have won this game 10 nil as that's how bad Swansea have been.

Ibra for me is past it, shpuld not play more than 60 mins let alone start. pogba is overrated and thinks way too much of himself and Rooney, well, I won't say no more.

Glad to see Jones back in the team, darmian is as useless as ever and young is not a full back. the scoreline flatters us a lot.
WHAT?

predator

Youth NITK
Swansea were awful for most of the game but we were very good in the first half. There is still a touch of sloppiness about our attackers play especially Ibra and Rooney - bad passes, touches etc. The Swansea goal was bad aswell. We should be able to defends those crosses with ease.

Ban

Some great stuff here, especially Ibra being past it.. What the..

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 48% of 759 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw