PL W FA Premier League

Swansea City 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 November 2016

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Tbf I said before the game we'd win 3-1. Good stuff.

Devil may care

I felt more optmisitic after the Burnley game, we were vibrant and dynamic in that game, this was mostly ugly to watch with our best player from the last few games relegated to playing as a defesnive winger. We needed to get the 3 points but all of the flair has been removed in favour of clogging. It was fitting that the game was on a Sunday as Swansea were like a Sunday league team.

Last edited:

ravi2

Pogba was great today but Swansea were the worst team we've played all season, especially in the first half.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That actually is Jose all over. He'd have done the same if it was home
I always thought Jose instructed his teams to destroy the minnows by as large a margin as they can, so that would compensate for the draws/close matches against the bigger sides.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Obviously I'm happy with the win. But GD is always important as we can attest from last season. So it's more than a fair criticism to say we should be looking to build on our leads, not sitting back.
At home yes. Away from home, no.

paulscholes18

Bit like the Leicester game, very good first half, didn't turn up in the 2ns, Pogba and Zlatan should have been replaced at HT or 60 min mark as both pick up tend to pick needless yellows, and its cost us Zlatan vs Arsenal

liamp

If we play the same sort of lineup against Arsenal, I fear for our chances.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Would have been better without that twenty minute period where we traded places, but apart from that it was a good performance. We got ourselves a commanding lead in the first 35 minutes then looked to control the match. Was pleased with Jones' performance. He didn't have much to do, but he did it all well.

I really wish we had gone for the kill in the second half though.

Irrational.

The performance wasn't anything different to what we've been putting in against the likes of Burnley and Stoke, only their 'keeper didn't have a blinder.

In the second half we were pretty sloppy, and Zlatan's managed to rule himself out of the tie vs Arsenal.

Darmian looked tidy at LB, Pogba looks so much more comfortable alongside Carrick and Rooney's touch/ control were good for once.

Hopefully we can get at least a draw against Arsenal.

JustinC00

Should have been 4-1. Rooney was onside and really could have been 5-1 if Mata has a slight touch more on the ball.

Varun

Staff
Solid and much needed 3 points. I don't mind us taking re 2nd half off, we've been playing a lot of games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great first half, especially from Pogba who was running the show even before his screamer. Good for Ibra to get a couple of goals for his confidence, and then some idiocy from the coaches in not taking him or Pogba off when the game was won to keep them from getting yellows. With Ibra I guess it's not a huge deal because he isn't great in big games. Need Pogba to step up then.

Rooney was slowly getting better and better in recent weeks with his subs, thought he was very good today. Looked sharp and actually pretty quick. Very good work rate too. As long as his games are managed and he knows his role, he can still play a good part for us. Carrick class as always, though with him we have to save him for the important games and not play him in easier/pointless games just to keep him fresh. Defence did alright. Fellaini did okay but again, not sure what he offers that side today. Mata good as always, just a bit more subdued today.

One of my main annoyances with this season is us not using Martial though. We should be playing him into form. Or trying our hardest to get the best out of him. He's so good at his best and we are lacking so much without him. Hopefully he starts up top against Arsenal, but there is no chance of that, so it's going to be Rashford or Rooney up top and neither are a patch on Martial.

Nik70

Totally dominant first 65 minutes. A little disappointing that we allowed them back into the game slightly but good win to get us back on track. Pogba was great. Carrick, Mata and Rooney with decent contributions and Zlatan finally getting some goals again!

pauldyson1uk

I think the second half was a PL experiment in to walking football, it was poor by both team.
A win is a win but play like that against a good team and we will be hammered, 1-3 away win , but absolutely nothing to get excited about today !!

littlepeasoup

That actually is Jose all over. He'd have done the same if it was home
He did. We did exactly the same thing against Leicester. 4 goals up and second half we slowed the play down, hardly did anything going forward and invited pressure. Lucky for us they couldn't string two passes together that game and their only consolation was a class long range effort.

I think a cautious approach in winning positions will come back to bite us at some point.

ElQuesoGrande

Somehow ended up being a disappointing game. Two main things worry me:
1) the fact that every game bar Bournemouth has seen us less interested and play more poorly in the second half. suggests something is wrong in what Jose is doing.
2) leading on from that, Jose's general attitude is disappointing. didn't look interested in the game - never seen the camera panning to a manager texting before!

why this worries me is that its so evident a team takes the form of their manager, at least when it comes to us.
Moyes looked confused and at times terrified at the task in front of him, and so do we.
LVG was a coward and the team was cowardly through the centre.
Jose doesn't look bothered and is constantly shifting the blame. You see our players hitting mid-range passes from one side of the pitch to the other and...

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Swansea were awful, anyone would have battered them in that first half. Second half when they decided to start playing we looked average again.

Really good result for us. Nice to see us take advantage of a game we're expected to win and see it through. Some better performances individually today from Zlatan, Pogba, Rooney, etc and the overall team chemistry was good.

Need to try and get some consistency now. We've dropped too many points so early on.

siw2007

Happy to win after a number of winless matches in the premier league. United did what was required, a good but not great display against an abysmal Swansea City side in the first half, and didn't really have to turn up in the second. Shame we had to concede that goal in the second but got to see some great goals from Ibra and Pogba.

Pogba and Carrick were probably the best two on the day. Rooney, Ibra, Darmian also had good games and I thought Rooney was a bit unlucky not to have his goal at the end (the stream was a little fuzzy and it didn't look like there was anything between Rooney and the last defender).

Still loads of work to do to get to where we want to be so can't get excited until we start to string a number of wins together.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First half was decent, Carrick controlled the game allowing Pogba to do his stuff. Ibra finally found his shooting boots, and Rooney must have stayed off the booze for a few days as he looked really sharp.

2nd half was poor though, we got off the gas way too early and could have killed the game off with a few better subs (rashford/martial/lingard) earlier. Can't see the point of keeping Ibra on for 90 minutes as he just swaggers around when he gets tired.

The main thing is we got the 3 points and now we can restart after the int break.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Before the game, I'd have been happy with a 0-1. Seeing how shite they were on the day and how little they wanted to win or even attack, I'm a bit annoyed we didn't humiliate them. We owed them a hiding after those wins they've nicked against us in the last few years. We stopped playing at 3 and just fouled our way through the rest of the game.

No matter. A win is a win and we played pretty well, though hard to gauge how well, because they were really, really shit.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Great win. The same folks predicting a loss and tough away game are the same folks not happy despite the result.

Ivor Ballokov

A win and some goals, still can't help but feel a bit disappointed though by that second half.

What with playing Europa League it's understandable we'd take our foot off the gas, it's just so tedious to watch and putting 5+ past them would have been a nice confidence boost.

Rooney showed glimpses, Zlatan and Pogba were dominant. Carrick glided through the game brilliantly, we desperately need to replace him.

Swansea won't survive this season, awful on the pitch, fans have turned, mediocre manager who doesn't know the league.

Jinn

Little bit of pressure from swansea and we concede. Not good defensively. Need to stop conceding stupid goals. 3 points is great but doesn't fill me with optimism playing Arsenal next.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Swansea were beyond awful, but it's three points in the bag and a much needed win after an awful run of games

I'll take it.

Bewildering why Mou did not sub Zlatan and Pogba though. Both one yellow from suspension and the former now missing Arse because of it.

Why do all our managers seem so reluctant to make any subs? We were up three goals and second half was not exactly great, so taking them of would not have done so much damage

OB

We played well first half, but that was because Swansea played shit. Second half we hardly looked bothered to score, and our defence wasn't solid. Anyway, happy to see Jones back.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Carrick allows Pogba to play his best game. He has to start. Maybe Ander in there as well instead of Fellaini.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We did alright against a shit team. Good confidence booster.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I only saw the second half so pretty much missed all our good stuff. As people have said it was a shame how nervous we got once we'd given them a glimmer of hope. Nevertheless a much needed three points and some nice goals from two key players are very welcome.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 48% of 759 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 490 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Swansea win
  • Draw