PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 March 2015

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We were brilliant. It could've been much worse for Spurs in the 2nd had we not switched tactics to less attacking.

Siorac

Now this was FUN. I enjoyed watching United, for the first time in quite a while.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Normal service resumed? Dominant performance. Our first half pressing, passing and interplay was better than anything we've shown this year. Better yet, unlike the Hull game where we were equally dominant, this was against an in-form Spurs. Kane was kept very quiet by our back line, who for once didn't panic on the ball. Everything just came together, almost out of nowhere. Yes, we looked good against Arsenal until we surrendered midfield with the subs but not that good. We played with more purpose and belief than at any time this season. Who knows? Maybe we can go on a late charge after all...?

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Nothing to complain about and the right time for that win. Liverpool with a difficult game tomorrow, then the game against us and then Arsenal while we playing Villa at home, I think this could be the deciding weeks where we cement our place in the Top4 :)

Varun

Staff
Excellent stuff. Best I've seen us play in ages. Now to beat those cnuts at Anfield.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If that isn't enough to convince management that Herrera needs to be on the pitch, then they've lost the plot...

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Anyone knows what's the Carrick's celebration about? I mean, there's the head pointing, guess he could make fun of himself with "me, header?" or something, but 5+2 (or was it 7)?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That's more like it. Felt like watching Manchester United. De Maria will have to fight for his place now.

togg

Actually, I said a few weeks ago, I just think we are going to do really well against our immediate rivals. Not sure why, but I feel more confident when we are playing one of the fellow big boys...

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Great performance at the perfect time. Monday was a disappointment, but top 4 is what we really want at the end of the day.

Good confidence ahead of Liverpool next week.

The whole team did fantastically today. Special mention to Rooney, Mata, Young, Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick and Blind.

You almost feel a bit cheated this season. We're capable of putting in big performances like this and playing some slick football. That was more like the real United. Top 4 is back on the agenda and maybe more if other results start going our way.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
First time I've done the voting on a match on here and the average rating has been green :lol:

We were fantastic. Every single player was excellent. Blind is wonderful and so intelligent, Fellaini was used well without resorting to long ball tactics, Rooney was like old Rooney, Carrick did his thing, Smalling even did his Messi run a few times.

Great stuff.

Ringo 07

Brilliant performance..Van Gaal finally starting to show that he has a plan for this team

I was expecting us to get whooped by Liverpool next week but now I have some confidence that we can get something from that game

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
On and Herrera is like a little terrier. Won the ball back for us so many times. Mata sublime touches too.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I'm just stunned and have a massive grin on my face!

Well done. I haven't done the rating thing for about 5 months but I'm going to give every one a 10 today to pay homage to this performance.

WyoManU

Quite easily the best football we played since Fergie departed in that first half. We went off the boil in the second but we earned that right. All around a very good display.

Smalling deserves high praise for his defending and keeping Kane absolutely silent all match. He also looked so assured carrying the ball forward out of defense. If he plays like that and develops the composure to make that final pass then he could be brilliant.

Jones did fairly well, but he scared the living daylights out of me in the first few minutes. Spurs best chance was probably his errant back pass to DDG. I hate to judge people I don't know personally, but he looks about as bright as a domesticated animal. I guess it may be a bit more fair to just say he doesn't look to read the game very well and is always willing to throw all caution to the wind in situations that don't require it.

Mata was also only average I thought. A bit rough on him as he was asked to play out wide where he doesn't want to be or able to do his best work. Still did well, but nothing special. His lack of physicality really limit him in the premiership in any position other than a true #10.

I will be the first to raise my hand and say that I have for many, many years been unconvinced by Carrick, but have been dead wrong. He was absolutely brilliant with his calm passing in the first half. The pass to set up Fellaini was perfect. He really stitched our play together in a manner that made Spurs look to be chasing shadows for no gain in the first 45 minutes. MotM for me. Simply sublime.

Was also quite happy with Fellaini who kept popping up in between the lines and really helping to develop our play and make things happen. Well taken first goal also.

Also worth mentioning Herrera was all energy today and showed great ability on both ends of the pitch.

When you see that first half you just wonder how ADM gets back into the team.

Tribec

Whilst Spurs didn't offer to much in terms of attack, credit to Valencia after that back pass on Monday, came back with a really solid display. Really impressed with Phil Jones as well, covered anyone who he needed to, really strong in the tackles as well, no one beat him at all today, very impressive. Glad to see Pereira and Rafael get a run out, that must be for good behaviour for going with the U21's to visit the kids at the school last week.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not surprised we only had 52% possession. Our tempo was far better, we very rarely had the ball in our own half.

Tyrion

Brilliant. :drool:
Quick, aggressive, precise, creative. We beat one of the best sides in the league in 35 minutes.

If we play like that every game, I think we'll finish 2nd, never mind 4th.

legball

We were fantastic both in an offensive and defensive capacity. We attacked with intent, and sniffed out anything Spurs tried to do, Smalling dominated Kane all through the game, the second half, we just let them off the hook and I was fuming.

Perhaps its finally clicked!

DDG - nothing to do
Valencia - first actual cross of the season today?
Smalling - looked solid although had little to test him today.
Jones - also had little to test him, so decided to make something. I think its time for him to go.
Blind - didnt lose the ball once, nothing got through him and played some good forward balls.
Carrick - as excellent as hes been for a long time.
Fellaini - was everywhere and won everything.
Herrera - also a good game and transitioned defence to attack well.
Mata - as above.
Rooney - he should play up front every game now.
Young - our best player for me. Spurs just couldnt do anything about him.

markhrad

May not be MTOM but I think Carrick was responsible for this fine result. This is the second time this season his return has resulted in one of our best performances. Our other centre midfielders hardly ever provide through passes for our strikers.
Stand outs for me were Fellaini, Carrick and Smalling. Young was really good in the first half. Rooney took his goal well, although I think he was a bit fortunate getting through that cluster of defenders. I thought Mata was invisible and Herrera was busy but not much end-product.

Get In Scholesy

Hopefully this performance buoys us for the rest of the season. We needed that.

It helped that Spurs were a bit shit and looked tired, but we dominated from first whistle to last whistle and that was encouraging to see. Really enjoyed today's match.

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 703 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 10% Man Utd 2:0 Tottenham