PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 December 2016

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If there's an improvement to be made, it's that we need to be better on the counters.

I'm not one of those who complains we drop deeper in the last phase of the game when defending a lead because I believe that's when and how we can get a second goal but for that to happen we need to be better at quickly and accurately moving the ball up the pitch.

Either drop deep and execute proper counter attacks, or don't drop deep and defend by keeping the ball. I think Mourinho wants to do the latter so hopefully they're working on it.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Yeah, thought it was a really good interview and much as I want Felliani to leave in Jan I really respect Joses comments.
He even said he respected the player and really liked the person, so… He's going to count on him. But was also clear in naming Fellaini's “mistake”.

OldTrevil

No paedophile or rape jokes before anyone thinks of posting any. Should go without saying but I know what some of you are like.
What? that term has other meaning other than forceful sexual activity, stop pretending what I meant didn't clearly come across. Pedophilia? Jesus

jungledrums

What? that term has other meaning other than forceful sexual activity, stop pretending what I meant didn't clearly come across. Pedophilia? Jesus
People complaining about the use of a word on the internet, fecking unreal. It was clear as day you were referring to the price and nothing more.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Look, there it is again. I'm going to report you if you don't stop with this pedo/rape nonsense. Grow up

OldTrevil

Look, there it is again. I'm going to report you if you don't stop with this pedo/rape nonsense. Grow up
Actually burst out laughing at that, fair play though you can do one at the same time.

Nathan

What a great team effort, can't fault anyone on our team. The referees need to be looked at seriously - clear fouls not given.

Very happy with what I saw yesterday - it's looking good going forward to Christmas

Verbalkint

Rojo was ok but I really don't get all this praise. I think he just smashed the ball away straight back to Spurs many times.
I guess the only reason Rojo is being praised is because he bullied a player as good as Kane. That shirt tug though - easily a penalty if the ref sighted it.
The recent 2 footed lunge was bad too. He needs to clean up his game or he'll pay heavily sooner or later.

I'd pick Jones of the back 4 yesterday. That tackle on Danny Rose was it? Timed to perfection under a lot of pressure. Big, big moment in the game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I liked how positive we were. As soon as we had the ball, even in tight situations, we played it forward. Like that, we created space and made sure Spurs had to go back and start over

kirk buttercup

I think with the exceptions of City and Chelsea we Have bossed every team we have played . And even at that there were goods spells against both city and Chelsea. The team is growing in confidence the link up play at times is magic to watch. its so good to watch United with this belief again. Spurs like Arsenal and Leicester and many others looked toothless because they weren't let play.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think with the exceptions of City and Chelsea we Have bossed every team we have played . And even at that there were goods spells against both city and Chelsea. The team is growing in confidence the link up play at times is magic to watch. its so good to watch United with this belief again. Spurs like Arsenal and Leicester and many others looked toothless because they weren't let play.
Mourinho mentioned in his programme that we should be top 3 based on performances.

Parma Dewol

Still buzzing this morning. Fantastic win and much needed. The tension in the stadium was immense in that second half. At one point I looked up at the clock expecting their to be 10 minutes or so to go, there were still 22 on the clock!

You could tell a lot of people were getting a feeling of deja vu and it seemed like Spurs would nick a goal. The relief just flooded through when the final whistle went. Great win, now lets get a run together over the Christmas period.

jojose

If there's an improvement to be made, it's that we need to be better on the counters.

I'm not one of those who complains we drop deeper in the last phase of the game when defending a lead because I believe that's when and how we can get a second goal but for that to happen we need to be better at quickly and accurately moving the ball up the pitch.

Either drop deep and execute proper counter attacks, or don't drop deep and defend by keeping the ball. I think Mourinho wants to do the latter so hopefully they're working on it.
I agree with this 100%. To be fair, we actually "transitioned" pretty well yesterday with Poogba springing from midfield, Rashford and Miki wide and Zlatan a few time we got 4 vs 4 or even 4 vs 3, just took the wrong option a couple of times

Sparky10Legend

One word: Miki

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
People complaining about the use of a word on the internet, fecking unreal. It was clear as day you were referring to the price and nothing more.
Guys just as a heads up, in case you think it's okay to use, we don't allow the use of rape here as an analogy, if it's spotted you'll end up getting a warning for it.

newgiz

I was pessimistic going into the game purely because of the way we have dropped points over the last few weeks. This was a good performance and we deserved the win. Spurs were disappointing and produced nothing of note (especially after Son's substitution).

We still need to score more though as the last few minutes were very nervy and we cannot afford more dropped points.

A word on Jones though, who was excellent throughout the game. His tackle on Danny Rose was brilliant. Credit to Jose on how he's handled him as we are now reaping the rewards of it. Hopefully he continues his good form and his run in the team.

Out of all the players on the pitch I thought Darmian was one of the poorest performers. I hope we don't see him play next week as Zaha could very well give him a run around. I would prefer if Blind gets back into the LB position.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Thought we were very good considering. Spurs would have been confident. We just have to take it one game at a time though.

Jeffthered

Have not posted on here for a while, but just to say that i felt yesterday was a really terrific, solid performance. The commitment from the team was great, the football was good, and the key, was that the structure of the team, seems to have found a little identity. Carrick makes such a massive difference to us, and allows Herrera and Pogba to play more of a natural game. Pogba was great, and had a tremendous dual with both Wanyama and Dembele.. both v good, experienced, and v strong players... but all played well. And the squad looks good too. Ibra was a terrific target man, as we had to be a little direct, and earn possession, against an excellent defence. Tottenham are a good, good team, so that's a great win.

So yes, let's hope we can continue the form.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- Harry Kane is genuinely the worst footballer I've ever seen. How does he score so many goals? It makes no sense.

- Tottenham are good at diving

- When there's a counter attack and we have two people running through the middle of the pitch completely through on goal, it is unacceptable that the person on the ball chooses to PRAT AROUND instead of just passing the fecking ball to one of them!!!

- Rojo not rubbish?

- Darmian still rubbish

- Good performance overall. We still weren't convincing at actually killing the game so we need to be scoring more than one goal in these types of games.

- I'm sorry but Harry Kane. How?

Robertd0803

Delighted with the win, wasn't expecting the 3 points to be honest. Hope Miki recovers soon (though he drove to training himself today apparently so hopefully hes ok).
-Our left side is a bit crap at the moment, Darmian and Martial don't really complement each other very well. Not convinced by Darmian at all.
-Spurs didn't really get to do much.
-Pogbas strength on the ball still amazes me every time I see him muscle someone off him and escape a tight spot by sheer power.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Delighted with the win, wasn't expecting the 3 points to be honest. Hope Miki recovers soon (though he drove to training himself today apparently so hopefully hes ok).
-Our left side is a bit crap at the moment, Darmian and Martial don't really complement each other very well. Not convinced by Darmian at all.
-Spurs didn't really get to do much.
-Pogbas strength on the ball still amazes me every time I see him muscle someone off him and escape a tight spot by sheer power.
Using your ankle to work the pedals is a bit different to running and kicking a ball

Robertd0803

Using your ankle to work the pedals is a bit different to running and kicking a ball
I know, but he wouldn't be driving if he had any break/fracture etc. or if the medical team advised against it so looking for positives here :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
See how different the outlook on your whole week is after a positive result? Honestly, I feel so much better today than recent weeks!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I know, but he wouldn't be driving if he had any break/fracture etc. or if the medical team advised against it so looking for positives here :)
They'd already said 2 weeks, so a break wasn't in the diagnosis anyway. It's likely there's mild ligament damage which will take a couple of weeks max

Robertd0803

See how different the outlook on your whole week is after a positive result? Honestly, I feel so much better today than recent weeks!
I always say this, that Im would always be in a much better frame of mind when we win. In 2012/2013 I was a joy to be around :):)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Amazing isn't it? I have read the papers today, listened to the radio. If something goes wrong I go into a complete media blackout.:lol:

Handré1990

This is so true! I've had a great day, and I attribute that to the fact that I was happy already when I woke up :) I wish a good day to all my fellow fans here! :D

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Amazing isn't it? I have read the papers today, listened to the radio. If something goes wrong I go into a complete media blackout.:lol:
That's generally my policy too. I'm not back online until the next game usually.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

This is a MUFC fan club in an African village 20 miles from Arusha, in Tanzania, near to Mount Kilimanjaro and the Serengeti. Its very remote, off the tourist track, and in the middle of nowhere. They have live screening on match days, so lucky for me, I found a place where I watched the game with fellow Reds!

Just got back to my lodging after the game. What an amazing experience. Am amazed at our global reach.

Around 100 Masai fans turned up, many of them simple farmers, clad in their classic red robes and some with hunting spears. Most drank a local moonshine connotation which is crudely brewed from potato's; its basically unrefined vodka with a very high alcohol % - they drink it out of half pint cups and it looks like a liquid potato mash. I don't drink, and don't think I'd have tried it if I did, but by kick off they were all quite off it and vaguely psychotic.

I was taken to this venue and sponsored by a local who is also acting as my tour guide in the region, so I was welcomed. And I had a great chat with several fans before the game. Although I cant speak Masai-Swahili and they couldn't speak English, using thumbs up and thumbs down, we managed to have conversations.

I was amazed at the in depth knowledge they had. In summary, most are sympathetic and supportive of Mourinho and advocate patience. But they were very critical of Rooney and poor old Fellaini. In fact, when Fellaini was shown to be warming up just before the end, almost all of them started to jeer with agitation! Likewise their was deep angst at the Mhkitaryan injury as everyone knew he was finally showing some form.

When Mhkitaryan scored, they all performed some kind of tribal chant and dance; the potato vodka moonshine had kicked in. I couldn't get my iPhone camera into gear so missed VDO recording it, but it was nuts; something Ive never seen or could have expected. Same happened at the final whistle, they has their own song which was very uplifting. But I didn't dare take any photo's as my guide informed me that many Masai believe photographing them is an attempt to steal their soul .... its quite risky business.

Was quite a surreal experience which I doubt Ill ever forget!
Amazing experience thanks for sharing.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 585 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham