PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sat, 28 October 2017

moodyred

37 games at home without a loss. 26 wins 11 draws. 0 conceded in 5 EPL games at home.

Fortress.

Reactions: SteveJ

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Tense game between 2 well matched sides. Didn't think the subs had made much of an impact until the goal. Important 3 points and one big step towards forgetting last weekend.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
2 things I noticed.
Eric Dier is ridiculously fast. He made Rashford look pedestrian.
And Lingard is very slow. With head start of about 5-10 metres, Erikson caught up and overtook Lingard.
That shocked me too. Tbf to Rashford he started a yard or two behind and it took a desperate lunge from Dier to get to the ball first. Still, it was weird to see anyone not get burned by Rashford in a foot race. Had no idea Dier was so rapid.

dan1ka

I really hope we can pull out something next week at Stamford bridge. A defeat would be terrible to that cnut Conte.

Foxbatt

Why do some people think we do not deserve to win? We hit the post, we scored, their keeper made three good saves that probably would have been goals while DeGea had an easy time. Yes they had one miss, but it missed the goal. Now long before that if Valencia's effort would have been on target it is a goal too.
I really don't understand all this negativity now that we have won? We were not good in the first half but in the second half we were always the better team. We attacked more than they did.
We created more chances too. Everyone keeps talking about Kane. Was he missed? I don't know. Last year he did nothing against us. We miss Pogba too but none of the pundits mentioned it. Pogba is important to us as much as Kane is to Spurs.
This is Spurs we are talking about. The dream team of every British pundit and commentator. A team that is inform and equal to us on points until this game. A team that drew with Real.

I think there is an agenda with some posters here. I wrote a while back that if Jose wins they will come out and say it is not good enough and give some sort of excuse. If anyone thought we were going to stuff Spurs, this Spurs 4-0 with the team we have then they are living in Cuckoo land.

Reactions: esmufc07

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Defending - 10/10
Enjoyment - 0/10
So winning is not enjoyment for you. Watch some circus then.
Exactly! The winning is the sweetest part.
I honestly believe that there are some people in here who don't quite understand the concept of winning.
They probably believe that it's the taking part that counts and the result is irrelevant.

I am trying to be positive, in the face of all this negativity, so lets summarise:
1, we won the game against a team who most people on this forum feared. Some of you thought we'd lose 0-3. Spurs were being talked up on the TV, big time and some of these commentators are now eating humble pie.
2, we completely outplayed Spurs in the 2nd half. Spurs had 1 good chance, which he blew. We had about 4 good chances and scored from 1 of them. Spurs were lucky they only had 1 goal go passed them.
3, We are 2nd in the league, while having 2 of our most important midfielders injured, as well as several other key players injured. Many of our injured players are due to return in November.
MCFC have not yet had an injury crisis and it will be interesting to see how many points they drop, if/when they do.
4, we are top of our group in the CL.

I am very happy with our current situation and is exactly what expected when Jose joined us.

Klopp_De_Klown

Good game, tight and cagey but you expect that in a top 6 battle.

DDG hadn't a save to make and we should of been 1 or 2 up before the goal, if only lady luck had of smiled on us. They are a very good side delighted with the 1-0 thought we just about shaded it on chances. But it was only us or a draw. They really didn't do an awful lot even with all their lovely football

Gerardo Islas

Supports
Chivas
But but, Mourinho was the worst manager two weeks ago. How could this happen?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So, according to Souness, if they came to OT and took a point they would be called big team, and us getting point in Liverpool, was defensive?!
ok
He actually called it spot on I thought. He criticised Spurs for not doing what we did at Anfield, saying that sometimes the big sides have to do that - basically just don't get beat. That's why their record in the big games is so poor.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He actually called it spot on I thought. He criticised Spurs for not doing what we did at Anfield, saying that sometimes the big sides have to do that - basically just don't get beat. That's why their record in the big games is so poor.
First game after the international break is away at Arsenal, should be interesting. Cannot see them trying to shut up shop there.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I honestly believe that there are some people in here who don't quite understand the concept of winning.
They probably believe that it's the taking part that counts and the result is irrelevant.

I am trying to be positive, in the face of all this negativity, so lets summarise:
1, we won the game against a team who most people on this forum feared. Some of you thought we'd lose 0-3. Spurs were being talked up on the TV, big time and some of these commentators are now eating humble pie.
2, we completely outplayed Spurs in the 2nd half. Spurs had 1 good chance, which he blew. We had about 4 good chances and scored from 1 of them. Spurs were lucky they only had 1 goal go passed them.
3, We are 2nd in the league, while having 2 of our most important midfielders injured, as well as several other key players injured. Many of our injured players are due to return in November.
MCFC have not yet had an injury crisis and it will be interesting to see how many points they drop, if/when they do.

I am very happy with our current situation and is exactly what expected when Jose joined us.
Plus, big games are often cagey and tense. They're rarely enjoyable and, more often than not, the 3 points is all that counts. We beat a close rival, which is the main thing.

Red_Aaron

tight game between 2 very good sides but we clearly edged it and deserved the win on the second half performance
Spurs certainly missed Kane as they offered nothing at all up top. We miss, and have missed for a long time btw, Pogba every bit as much though and spurs wouldn't have had anywhere near as much play through the middle had we been able to match them for numbers so the whole 'they miss/we miss' thing is irrelevant really, there's nothing to say they' had got him much of the ball if we were at full strength, you've only got to watch last years OT match to see that.

I thought Ashley young was excellent btw and MOTM. There was a lot of hype around the Aurier signing over the summer given that we were linked with him too but on todays evidence Young surpassed him comfortably.

M Bison

Supports
York City
3 points is the most important thing. Always nice to play pretty football but first and foremost, win at any cost.

I’m delighted with that today, spurs are a top side and after the loss at Huddersfield, i feared the worst.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
2 things I noticed.
Eric Dier is ridiculously fast. He made Rashford look pedestrian.
And Lingard is very slow. With head start of about 5-10 metres, Erikson caught up and overtook Lingard.
He was slow but more than anything else it's how he basically gave up by blasting it over that annoyed me. It was like "ah man, i've fecked up so here goes"

Fitchett

I am surprised at the negativity. It was not boring at all. We attacked much more than Spurs did. Spurs is not some middle of the table team. There are on level with us and drew with Real Madrid in Madrid in the CL. They are in the inform team. They created only one chance and we created a lot more. Mikhi was getting better in the second half and if Rashford was a bit more alert he should have scored from the rebound from Mikhi's shot on goal. Lukaku hit the post too. So it is not such a bad performance as some people make it out to be. In fact it is a good performance.
This.

I was at the match and it was a really good game, with two evenly matched and well organised teams fighting for every ball and not allowing their opponents to settle. We were ultimately the better side and deserved our win, having restricted Spurs to the Alli chance only. Lukaku had a header which hit the post, a screamer from Valencia just cleared the crossbar and Lingard hopelessly squandered a one on one chance with the keeper. Martial's goal was well merited, as was our 1-0 win. Sometimes a low scoring game isn't boring, it just means that both teams were evenly matched. If you want to see a high scoring game, try watching basketball.

siw2007

Great win from the team. We started the game really well and put Spurs under pressure, but were unable to find the breakthrough. I thought Spurs defended really well at times, especially Eric Dier who played well against Rashford. Unfortunately it was unsustainable and Spurs grew into the game, as their midfield were knocking the ball around ours for fun, while we were unable to construct any attacks of ourselves. Fortunately, we defended well too and limited them to long range efforts for most of the half.

Second half we were much better, we started to be more assertive on the ball and created a number of good opportunites, Lukaku worked hard and was unfortunate not to score himself in this period. As we tired, Erikson started to dictate and we got lucky when Alli put the ball wide from a good opportunity. But as what often happens in football, as one team misses a golden chance, the other team takes theirs, a route one ball, flicked on by Romelu to Martial and a good finish.

Overall I thought 1-0 was a deserved result as we had the best of the chances. Hope we get a win away to Chelsea next week to round of what has been a difficult period in the Premier League.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am surprised at the negativity. It was not boring at all. We attacked much more than Spurs did. Spurs is not some middle of the table team. There are on level with us and drew with Real Madrid in Madrid in the CL. They are in the inform team. They created only one chance and we created a lot more. Mikhi was getting better in the second half and if Rashford was a bit more alert he should have scored from the rebound from Mikhi's shot on goal. Lukaku hit the post too. So it is not such a bad performance as some people make it out to be. In fact it is a good performance.
I agree. Entitlement complex from some posters.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Odd seeing the criticism leveled at Matic and Ander by some. It's clearly Mhki that's the problem in midfield.

Other than Pogba's absence, of course.

Fitchett

Let's not kid ourselves. Spurs had no Kane. No Dembele. No Wanyama. And we played the entire match with three central defenders and two defensive midfielders in Herrera and Matic who are not creative - in that they won't rack you up assists - and they don't score.
I feel we got away with it today and have lost swagger. The horses are very much on the reins.
Get your facts straight before posting negativity against United. Dembele came on as a sub today, replacing Sissoko after 62 minutes.

tombombadil

Thought it was a good win. Both teams fought hard with determination which is always nice to see. Started good, then tapered off with Spurs slowly but surely getting better and winning more and more of the 50/50s. Spurs ended the first half the better team. In the second half, we were the better team, winning more of the 50/50s and eventually that showed in the result. This has been an improvement for United compared to previous weeks. I believe the team is finally adapting to losing the key players.

The game turned out scrappy but I guess that was what Mourinho wanted. I thought we did well to disrupt Spur's rhythm and stopped them building up play. Our defence did well. Except for that Delle Ali chance, they hardly troubled us. Compared to previous weeks, the attack also did better. We created some good chances and Lukaku even hit the post. I thought to myself the last 15 mins will be vital. And it turned out that way. Young was probably our best player. He exemplified our performance with disciplined aggression and determination to win the ball and play it up front.

I think many people don't understand that the key word for United in all games is control. United will play to disrupt the opponent, control the space and the chances the opponent gets and attack in a controlled manner. We will not attack with reckless abandon in a playstation manner. Hopefully, the team will improve and create more chances, especially when Pogba and Fellaini return.

At some point, someone is going to punch Dele Alli in the face. I want to buy that person a beer.
I'd chip in for that beer too. Cheers. :lol:

I thought so as well. It was an intense game with both teams playing a very committed, determined, aggressive game. The fact that we created the better chances while limiting Spurs to so few good chances encapsulates how well we controlled the game. For us to be able to pull this off with a couple of our key players injured against such a strong opponent, I think we did well.

ManUtd1999

It could be really good with fellaini and pogba in for Herrera and Mkhitaryan.
I would to see that.

We needed a win after dropping 5 points in the last two games. Got a result that keeps us within a striking distance from City, at least for now.

Last edited:

sergiosigurvinson

This is a huge victory, which means that we can beat any team in the top.
Mourinho is really a special one, who probably reads the game as noone else can do.

criticalanalysis

That shocked me too. Tbf to Rashford he started a yard or two behind and it took a desperate lunge from Dier to get to the ball first. Still, it was weird to see anyone not get burned by Rashford in a foot race. Had no idea Dier was so rapid.
I only saw it once but I don't think Rashford done 'well' in that situation; in fact in a lot of those kick and run scenarios, his approach is very inconsistent. Sometimes he steadies himself and can easily breeze past players but sometimes he kicks it ahead without no momentum and ends up half a step/yard back (because his back foot is planted and not in the acceleration movement), which most defenders can anticipate and recover from.

Edit: actually I'm not sure whether he took a touch but if he didn't i.e let it run across his body (thus could have taken a touch), the principle still applies. His half-steps, feints, body momentum etc is not the most efficient.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He obviously didn't see how most of the 75,000 crowd inside Old Trafford enjoyed it - the place erupted!
Some posts are just so stupid it's hard to tell if they do it just to get reactions.

EyeInTheSky

So exactly the same result as last season, when we weren't crippled with injury. Don't mention Harry Kane he didn't do much in last season game, so he might as well been missing then as well. Good performance, good result and Jose out thought Poch.
Kane has a shite record against us for some reason even under Moyes and LVG.

Spurs under Poch have won 1 game out of 17 against the top 6 sides.

cyberman

4 from 6 v Liverpool and Spurs. Win v Chelsea and its 7 from 9 which critics of our side said could never happen?
Or do those posts and points not matter anymore?
A lot of posters use their psychic abilities to criticise us for results that hasn't happened yet find reasons to criticise us when we actually achieve beyond their expectations.
Remember when our defence would be exposed v top sides? I guess all the effort in reading those tumescent posts were for nothing as well

donkeyfish

I thought it was a great game. Tense and nervy all along. When two teams produce high quality defending it will rarely be 10 chances each. It requires something special, like the Eriksen pass or Lukaku's header or a mistake.

Spurs did make a mistake on the goal though, shouldn't really be possible to score. But concentrating 100 % for 90 minutes is difficult, and Lukaku and Martial deserves credit for exploiting it. Exactly the type of move Martial has been criticised for not doing enough.

Maybe journalists, commentators, bloggers or whoever are disappointed we didn't see something like the Spurs - Liverpool game last week. But this was a game with high quality from both teams finding themselves in a deadlock, a far cry from the joke of a performance Pool put in. More entertaining for the neutral perhaps, but a much worse performance.

Klopp_De_Klown

Why do some people think we do not deserve to win? We hit the post, we scored, their keeper made three good saves that probably would have been goals while DeGea had an easy time. Yes they had one miss, but it missed the goal. Now long before that if Valencia's effort would have been on target it is a goal too.
Yep

While the general game play was probably 50/50 even shaded by spurs we were far more effective in the final third. Said it earlier DDG had not a save toand was never troubled.

beedoubleyou

I think if you found that game dull, you probably have no appreciation for real football and should stick to smacking them in from distance of FIFA.

tombombadil

That's a great summary!

Plus, big games are often cagey and tense. They're rarely enjoyable and, more often than not, the 3 points is all that counts. We beat a close rival, which is the main thing.
So true. Many people conveniently forget all those cagey games we played under SAF against other top sides or in europe.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 624 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 20% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham